Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The thing with the Kyle Shanahan, McVay, KOC exodus is that none of the three are really the same.

Kyle Shanahan didn't go from the 'Skins OC job straight into a HC gig, he still further earned his stripes as OC on the Falcons, where they advanced to a Superbowl and should have won.  On that team with a superior roster to what he had on the Skins he was able to show off his chops a bit more and really establish himself as someone who might have initially had the door opened for him due to nepotism but really went to work and made a name for himself.  

McVay's hiring by the Rams was a little more about trying to catch lightning in the bottle, he was the successor to Shanahan, worked in a QB friendly Jay Gruden offense, and was likely about to impress during the interview given the weapons the Rams had on offense.   He didn't have nearly the resume that Kyle Shanahan had at the time of his HC hiring, and if you ask me, he is much more a candidate to be another Chip Kelly, where he looks great for a couple of seasons until the NFL adjusts.  Not to say that is going to happen, I just think it is way more likely it happens with him over Kyle Shanahan.

With KOC, I honestly have no clue why he would be a HC candidate for 2020 or the near future even.  What exactly has he shown on the field? What are his results?  I like KOC, I would have been glad for him to be retained and continue developing Haskins, but I am also not overly concerned that he isn't staying.  

The other thing is, Kyle Shanahan's offenses were actually really good while he was with the 'skins. We grumbled about him abandoning the run to early, but those offenses produced. He even made RGIII look like a superstar. It was the D that sucked. Likewise, Sean McVay's one year as a coordinator was one in which the offense looked really sharp.

Kevin O'Connell on the other hand showed some improvement and his O at the end was clearly better than Gruden's and Callahan's two yards and a cloud of dust, but O'Connell's half season leaves his abilities in doubt. No one knows if he's a great play caller. It's mostly about rep, potential, and projection when it comes to him. Maybe he'll be great. Maybe he'll be a bum. What he is right now is a roll of the dice. Shanahan and McVay were better known quantities as play callers. Shanahan much more so.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Kevin O'Connell on the other hand showed some improvement and his O at the end was clearly better than Gruden's and Callahan's two yards and a cloud of dust, but O'Connell's half season leaves his abilities in doubt. No one knows if he's a great play caller. It's mostly about rep, potential, and projection when it comes to him. Maybe he'll be great. Maybe he'll be a bum. What he is right now is a roll of the dice. Shanahan and McVay were better known quantities as play callers. Shanahan much more so.

Fair. But that someone who knows him - and offense - well wants him as his OC and that he was on the street for less than a week should tell us something.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Fair. But that someone who knows him - and offense - well wants him as his OC and that he was on the street for less than a week should tell us something.

I think that's fair, too.

But McVay is projecting. Though him taking Kevin as an OC is a little misleading as I doubt Sean is handing his play calling duties.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Has Zampese been officially hired yet?  Last I heard, he was being brought in for an interview.

That's a very good question, I'd love an answer as well.

Other than wikipedia and an article from riggos rag I cant find anything. 

He's not listed as a coach on redskins.com and there is no other evidence he is on staff.

I don't believe they have officially hired him yet but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

18 hours ago, MartinC said:

That you hire your friends that you're comfortable with.  I mean, we just hired a whole coaching staff of Rivera's buddies.  

40 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That's a very good question, I'd love an answer as well.

Other than wikipedia and an article from riggos rag I cant find anything. 

He's not listed as a coach on redskins.com and there is no other evidence he is on staff.

I don't believe they have officially hired him yet but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

Yeah, it’s pretty strange. Apparently, Gruden interviewed him last year before hiring Rattay. Based on that, seems like it may be a money issue. Hope Dan realizes the importance of this position on the staff and opens up the checkbook. 

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I wonder why none of these guys are listed on redskins.com yet?

I'm not sure, but near every reporter from national to local seems to be reporting it as fact. I'm guessing the staff shake-up is slowing down the usual up-keep of things on the website.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Idk how much faith to put in this. In Keim’s recent podcast episode on the 9th, he says something like “if that deal with Zampese ever gets done”.  Seems like it’s still pending. 

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I saw so many reporters tweeting it out as fact, but that place can be an echo chamber at times too.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

That you hire your friends that you're comfortable with.  I mean, we just hired a whole coaching staff of Rivera's buddies.  

That you hire people you know and are comfortable with and believe in their ability based on what you know and have observed about them. 

People hire people from their networks in all walks of life (which is why networks are so powerful) - but they don't hire people they know well if they are idiots or incompetent.

On 1/13/2020 at 8:47 AM, KDawg said:

Things could be worse...

The Browns took one look at Stefanski abandoning the run against San Francisco and decided, "THIS IS OUR GUY!".

And rumor has it they didn't hire McDaniels because McDaniels wanted sweeping organizational change.

Another case of a guy who may have been best qualified not being hired because the Browns have a damn good culture already.

Some of the guys on SeriusXM reported that McDaniels didn't want the job because the Browns head buffoon wants the head coach to report to him on Mondays with a report on the previous game and then on Friday to go over the next weeks game plans.

Hilarious if all they are saying is actually true.

Haslam still thinks he knows what he's doing. At least our buffoon has gone into hiding for the most part.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Some of the guys on SeriusXM reported that McDaniels didn't want the job because the Browns head buffoon wants the head coach to report to him on Mondays with a report on the previous game and then on Friday to go over the next weeks game plans.

Hilarious if all they are saying is actually true.

Haslam still thinks he knows what he's doing. At least our buffoon has gone into hiding for the most part.

I've seen this reported in a couple of places and seen Joe Thomas (who you would think has sources still) comment on it. So I am going to assume its true.

The first part is a several hour long meeting every Monday with Haslam to go over the previous weeks game. Thats used to happen at the Cardinals as well with Bidwell for one so its not unique.

The bit that is  ... 'unique' is that the Head Coach apparently has to turn in the game plan to the analytics department on Friday to have it reviewed. That's off the charts ridiculous. Not that analytics should be part of game planning (I think it absolutely should) - but that its a vetting step at the end of the process once the game plan is developed rather than an integral part of putting the plan together. 

So what happens on Friday if the plan fails the test? Do they rip it up and start again? Is the HC allowed to override any veto? 

Its just dysfunctional and speaks to a disconnect and lack of trust between the coaching staff and front office that is literally built into their process.

So congratulations Washington Redskins you are no longer the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I've seen this reported in a couple of places and seen Joe Thomas (who you would think has sources still) comment on it. So I am going to assume its true.

The first part is a several hour long meeting every Monday with Haslam to go over the previous weeks game. Thats used to happen at the Cardinals as well with Bidwell for one so its not unique.

The bit that is  ... 'unique' is that the Head Coach apparently has to turn in the game plan to the analytics department on Friday to have it reviewed. That's off the charts ridiculous. Not that analytics should be part of game planning (I think it absolutely should) - but that its a vetting step at the end of the process once the game plan is developed rather than an integral part of putting the plan together. 

So what happens on Friday if the plan fails the test? Do they rip it up and start again? Is the HC allowed to override any veto? 

Its just dysfunctional and speaks to a disconnect and lack of trust between the coaching staff and front office that is literally built into their process.

So congratulations Washington Redskins you are no longer the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL!!

We've been very damn dysfunctional but IMO we've never been as dysfunctional as the Browns under Haslam. That's just straight up clown shoes territory. I don't think the NFL even makes fun of them anymore because they'd feel bad. Like picking on a kid with a mental disability. 

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

We've been very damn dysfunctional but IMO we've never been as dysfunctional as the Browns under Haslam. That's just straight up clown shoes territory. I don't think the NFL even makes fun of them anymore because they'd feel bad. Like picking on a kid with a mental disability. 

The only thing preventing Haslam from being the worst owner in the NFL is that he has yet to sue fans.

3 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

Panthers hiring Joe Brady as OC...I’m jealous.

Hoping he brings his own RB coach so that we can hire jake Peetz from Carolina to come in as our new RB coach.  I don't think Jordan has officially been named our RB coach.  Some tweets show him as such and other don't.  

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

People hire people from their networks in all walks of life (which is why networks are so powerful) - but they don't hire people they know well if they are idiots or incompetent.

Um....  

You need to modify that a bit.  I think we’ve seen with Bruce and the Tampa Bay mafia thats not always true.

A competent executive hires people he’s familiar with, and even seeks people who are “super smart” who might disagree at times to bring different perspectives. 

An incompetent executive hires cronies they know who they can control.  

It’s pretty clear what we’ve had in the past. 

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Um....  

You need to modify that a bit.  I think we’ve seen with Bruce and the Tampa Bay mafia thats not always true.

A competent executive hires people he’s familiar with, and even seeks people who are “super smart” who might disagree at times to bring different perspectives. 

An incompetent executive hires cronies they know who they can control.  

It’s pretty clear what we’ve had in the past. 

Fair. But if you start with an incompetent executive doing the hiring you are screwed before you start unless he/she gets lucky.

In the specific context of McVay hiring KOC as his OC though, McVay is not incompetent.

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Fair. But if you start with an incompetent executive doing the hiring you are screwed before you start unless he/she gets lucky.

In the specific context of McVay hiring KOC as his OC though, McVay is not incompetent.

Oh for sure. McVay hiring KOC makes a ton of sense.  They worked together and had success together. 

Though didn't McVay promote Barry to DC? That’s surprising.