Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I dunno, when someone stands on that soapbox and refuses to acknowledge any contrary information, I thoroughly enjoy mocking them.

I get it.

Whatever the reason for Chase’s impact increasing since early in the year - acclimating to the speed/talent of the NFL, learning the defense, improved coverage, the DTs finally buying into Del Rio’s system, his hip getting healthier, the lack of TC/Pre Season, etc. - it has increased dramatically.  I don’t really fault the numerous posters (it was way more than just GF of course) that felt disappointed in his production.  With that said, they should have recognized at least some of the above factors and been slower to judge (though some did frame their thoughts that way).  It is kind of interesting that those that wanted more were vindicated in the sense that he did indeed have (a lot) more to give.  I’m surprised we didn’t see a bunch of posts saying “this is what I was wanting to see!” or some such.  Anyway, absolutely love this guy, he’s the complete package. 

As someone on the sideline of this discussion though, the gloating (for lack of a better word) has just gotten old.  But I understand, it is what it is. 🙅‍♂️

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

As someone on the sideline of this discussion though, the gloating (for lack of a better word) has just gotten old.  But I understand, it is what it is. 🙅‍♂️

Like when the word “swag” finally reached the white 45 year old dad. Time to hang it up! 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Sounds a lot like Portis with his characters in 2005, just more natural and inherent to who he is.  I love this guy!

Agree.  I liked Portis but from what I've heard/read he wasn't the hardest working dude during practice/off season but he really brought it on game day. 

Chase on the other hand from what I've read/heard goes 100 miles an hour in practice/off the field/game day. 

Aside from RG3, Portis might have been the team's biggest national star in the Dan era.  I think Chase already surpassed Portis on that front.  Tough to overtake though 2012 RG3 but his stardom should last a heck of a lot longer.  😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Taylor? Haynesworth (for the wrong reasons)

Rookie RG3 was crazy tho.

Sean was a quiet dude.  He was a mega talent.  but I don't recall the national media as taken by him during his rookie season as they are with Chase.  Sean wasn't an absolute stud from the jump.   He was a freak athlete and good to very good from the jump but didn't destroy it from the start.  Sadly when he started to become insanely good that was the year he died.  That season was headed to being really special.   His legacy is really special but some of that happened post mortem.    I do think Chase's outgoing personality makes him more of a national celebrity. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sean was a quiet dude.  He was a mega talent.  but I don't recall the national media as taken by him during his rookie season as they are with Chase.  Sean wasn't an absolute stud from the jump.   He was a freak athlete and good to very good from the jump but didn't destroy it from the start.  Sadly when he started to become insanely good that was the year he died.  That season was headed to being really special.   His legacy is really special but some of that happened post mortem.    I do think Chase's outgoing personality makes him more of a national celebrity. 

Rookie RG3 is the biggest "star" in the Dan era. It started Week 1 with "Griffin-ing", crescendo'd with that long TD run against Minnesota and reached a fever pitch the likes of which we had not seen on the WFT in years before and have not seen since.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Like when the word “swag” finally reached the white 45 year old dad. Time to hang 

You ruined Facebook too.  Leave SnapChat alone!

And swag had a whole different meaning in my day!

Edited by lovemaskins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Rookie RG3 is the biggest "star" in the Dan era. It started Week 1 with "Griffin-ing", crescendo'd with that long TD run against Minnesota and reached a fever pitch the likes of which we had not seen on the WFT in years before and have not seen since.

Chase’s scoop and score reminded me a lot of Griffin’s run against the Vikings.

• Like 3

Chase Young’s upbringing made him a ‘crazy unusual’ leader, and Washington is already following

The loudest voice is the youngest. It booms from the middle of the circle, deep and serious, urging everyone to be “a dog,” to be “a dude.” We’re playing for the playoffs — the ’offs, boy! — and why can’t you give everything you’ve got?

Aside from a rare video clip, there is no way to hear the voice leading the Washington Football Team’s pregame huddle. There’s no way to listen in from the stands or on the TV over the pounding stadium music. The only ones who truly know the its power are the other players in the circle, and yet it is perhaps possible to understand just by watching how they respond.

They are all older. Many have earned more money. They understand realities the voice does not — wives, children, aging — and yet it resonates. They bounce on their toes, nod their helmets, shimmy their shoulders as the voice plays conductor. There is a moment after it has stopped, a split second really, when the circle closes tight, as if Chase Young’s voice alone had pulled them together.

“It’s crazy unusual for a rookie to have the type of leadership that Chase has. Genuine leadership,” said quarterback Alex Smith. “I think a lot of young guys, especially high picks, I think you feel pressure to do it some way or somehow. I think Chase is so comfortable in his own skin and being who he is. I think guys respect that, but it’s rare to have a guy that young step in and really affect his teammates as positively as he has.”

The rookie defensive end did not intend for any of this to happen. He didn’t set out to become a locker room leader. He doesn’t ping-pong up and down the sidelines, chatting with teammates and coaches and the guy who holds the down marker, for show.

“That’s just me,” he said. “During the games, I can’t sit down, for real. Like, we’re playing. I can’t sit down.”

Young said this week that the caffeine-like adrenaline kick that turns him into the “Energizer Bunny” came early. He is about to play the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday night with the season on the line. But the pregame circle will signal that one of the most important developments of the year has already happened.

Players and coaches knew Young was talented — and as the defensive rookie of the year favorite, with 6.5 sacks and four forced fumbles, he has lived up to those expectations. But the leadership surprised them. The 21-year-old grew this year, earning the respect of a locker room and showing his father, a career law enforcement officer, his thoughtfulness in deciding to kneel for the national anthem. The growth crystallized last week, when Rivera rescinded the captaincy of quarterback Dwayne Haskins and the team voted for Young to replace him, a rare honor for a non-quarterback rookie.

Washington believes Young is a franchise cornerstone. There’s hope the local kid from Prince George’s County will wear the C on his jersey for a generation. And Young wants to validate this belief with action, an echo of the credo he carries on Sundays: “You can’t be loud and not make no plays.”

“Since I came here, I haven’t been on bull----,” Young said. “Guys knew that just from how I carry myself throughout the building. I tried to let everybody know I wasn’t on bull---- and that I’m here to work. I’m here to win games.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/01/chase-young-leader-washington-football-team/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

What NFC DE’s are better than Chase? Is he an All Pro? 

Also, he is so impactful. For all of the Nick Bosa comparisons, Chase has 4 FF’s this year and really should have 5. Bosa had 1 as a rookie, 1 this year. And then there are the INT’s. 

This right here! These are the type of plays when a DE can flirt with having a similar impact on a game as an elite QB. 

With the ease to track all stats I hope young leads an evolutionary process for fans and media to begin valuing statistics outside of sacks for a pass rusher. 

For example, how many FF and TOs forced Bruce Smith has in comparison to a Reggie White. Or... How many intentional grounding forced, holds called against in a career, INTs caused by clear pressure (scratching the surface of subjectivity). 

FFs and TOs caused should rank just as high as sacks and be discussed by the fan and media more. Young may be the guy to lead us in that direction with his all around play and the technology available to track everything today. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2