Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The bigger issue is to me is not just Chase Young, but that his presence doesn't seem to be making any difference for the rest of the D-line.  Daron Payne has a standout game today, but it seems like that is how this D-line operates.  Every game there might be one guy who looks better than usual, but as a unit, they don't stop the run or rush the passer nearly as well as you would expect from a line featuring all these 1st round picks.   That first game against a banged up Eagles O-line seemed to set the expectations pretty high, and I did not expect them to look like that every week, but it's been pretty average so far.

It’s not going to. A pass rusher helps you most when you’re in the lead and you know the other team is passing. They pin their ears back and go. 

Young is a good run defender, but if he can’t pin his ears back and go, you’re not going to see him making pass rush plays on every down. 

He’s not Aaron Donald and was never going to be. But he can be Chase Young. He’s young, coming off a groin injury that does not heal that quickly. He’s playing because he wants to play, basically. But he is injured.

As for the DL not making plays in the run game, I think people are missing on that point. First, they are. Second, their job is to defend a gap. Sometimes they even take two gaps. Problem is that there are 6 gaps without a tight end on the field. There are 4 DL. The LBs and safeties are gap responsible as well.

I saw one play where Collins had his gap, overshot to make a TFL, the back cut behind him to the now evacuated the gap. 

Other plays I saw one backer in the box on a run down. Other plays I saw our backers not coming down hill and instead staying at LB depth... and then getting blocked.

Our LBs have specialized in that the last few years. They don’t get downhill and they wind up getting a blocker on them, which they shed as the ballcarrier reaches them and then make the tackle 5-9 yards downfield. 

Anyone watch Devin White yesterday? Or Patrick Queen? Or for a college reference Micah Parsons? They are downhill players. I could name a bunch but I’ll stop there.

We need linebackers to attack the run. And we also need LBs who can cover. A working theory I have is that because they don’t play run downhill they are getting to pass drops too fast in zone and too slow in man and are missing their assignments. Other times they are just out matched. 

This ****ing fanbase kills me. Chase is our second best run defender behind Payne (who's having a probowl year) and possibly still our best defensive player and people wonder why he's not in the HoF already. Definitely a tad dramatic, but he's a rookie with a groin injury for crap sake. Of course Kerrigan gets a coverage sack and people think he's a good player.

• Like 5

Young has been fine. Has he been dominant? Outside of Week 1 no. But he's clearly injured and we've played some teams that have been able to game plan him out.

I really wanted to see him wreck the Giants crappy OL yesterday though. I think if he were healthy he would.

Right now the bigger problem is our LBs and Safeties. They are easily the worst in the league and its not even close.

• Like 2

Stats for pass rushers must evolve or be better highlighted by the media and fan base. For example, Young forced an INT in the game yesterday, but this will not get attached to his stats and is just left to our memory. Or factoring in a forced INT in a game the Giants passed 19 times for 112 yards with many of the passes being out within 2.5 seconds. The plan appeared to not let the Washington Dline dominate and unfortunately the offense was unable to put any pressure on the Giants offense to get out of the mediocre zone. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's just a subset of pressures.  (P-ints, # of pressures resulting in INTs.)  It's probably a random # that generally increases with the number of Ps, but there's really no way to intentionally pressure a QB into an INT rather than just a bad throw.  Like if your CB on the play is Carlos Rogers, you're getting a P but not a P-Int and he gets a PD not an INT.  Kendall Fuller?  You're getting a P-int because he's getting an INT not a PD.  The stat I really care about is OHDs (OTs Humiliated and Destroyed).  It's a team game, and if you're wasting high OHDs, you need a better back 7.

• Haha 4

Wish he was having more of an impact since I expected him to dominate but I think his lingering injury is causing an issue.  Also, not like the rest of line is dominating either so maybe he needs a little help.

20 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

If CY benefited by being on a team that sometimes is in the lead we would see more from him. Problem is we never have a lead. 😂

Does that explain him getting manhandled by OTs?  The INT play he rushed against a TE, but for the most part any above average tackle has had his way with Chase.  He is a very good run defender, I’ll give him that.  I really hope the pass rushing we are seeing is a result of a bad groin, but I’m not convinced of that.  We’ll see I guess.  I have no doubt he will get better with experience but generally the Bosas and Watts (even TJ) applied more pressure as rookies, when they are playing more on natural ability/talent.   

2 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Does that explain him getting manhandled by OTs?  The INT play he rushed against a TE, but for the most part any above average tackle has had his way with Chase.  He is a very good run defender, I’ll give him that.  I really hope the pass rushing we are seeing is a result of a bad groin, but I’m not convinced of that.  We’ll see I guess.  I have no doubt he will get better with experience but generally the Bosas and Watts (even TJ) applied more pressure as rookies, when they are playing more on natural ability/talent.   

JJ Watt only had 5.5 sacks as a rookie. Myles Garret had 7. Khalil Mack had 4. 

• Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

JJ Watt only had 5.5 sacks as a rookie. Myles Garret had 7. Khalil Mack had 4. 

Again, I’m less concerned about sacks than pressure.  Since game 1 against a beat up Eagles line he’s been pretty mediocre on the pass rush.  He had a few doubles yesterday but for the most part he’s been struggling against a single blocker.

21 hours ago, Capsman said:

I like this ploy, keep this up until time to resign him. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That clip is great watching for all the "Allen and Payne suck" people too.

Hey man, they single handedly aren’t stopping the run.

They’re really excited about Holcomb and KPL’s performances though!

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 1