Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it’s fair to wonder why the WFT didn’t draft Tua. Of course, we got Young. So there’s that. And Tua was injured. And Ron probably promised Dan he’d give Dwayne a chance. 

But I don’t know what plan you guys wanted him to have this year. If he doesn’t have a plan this offseason, I’ll be concerned.

Tua did have some concerns with his game when you broke it down.  That said, Tua is still learning the ropes down in Miami to the degree that it's apparently an easy decision to keep starting Fitzpatrick.  Not to say Tua is looking like a bust, but more so that he's still really raw.

2 big issues in my mind with Tua:

- We have to wonder how much of Tua's success came from playing with the insane supporting cast he had at Alabama.

- We have to wonder how injury prone he might be.

The certainty of Young versus the uncertainty of those two issues for Tua, has me going for Young still, even after knowing what's happened with Haskins.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Tua did have some concerns with his game when you broke it down.  That said, Tua is still learning the ropes down in Miami to the degree that it's apparently an easy decision to keep starting Fitzpatrick.  Not to say Tua is looking like a bust, but more so that he's still really raw.

2 big issues in my mind with Tua:

- We have to wonder how much of Tua's success came from playing with the insane supporting cast he had at Alabama.

- We have to wonder how injury prone he might be.

The certainty of Young versus the uncertainty of those two issues for Tua, has me going for Young still, even after knowing what's happened with Haskins.

That was kind of my point.

What plan did WFT fans want to have for the QB position this offseason?

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The 2nd part is so disappointing.  The whole concept of him losing 20 pounds, changing his body, and working faster feet in the offseason was so that his rookie issues wouldn't continue.  But here's 2020, and Haskins is still progressing through reads with his upper body first and lower body lagging behind.  It HAS to be fixable...right?  Eventually he has to drill that muscle memory in to death so that happens every rep...right?

This isn't something I've heard of that QB's can't fix from college to pro's...but maybe it's just not that common so I've never heard of it?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

That was kind of my point.

What plan did WFT fans want to have for the QB position this offseason?

Ah, right, misread your tone.  My bad.

According to the latest Post article:

“Teammates have tried to motivate Haskins, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.  Earlier this season, the person said, at least one teammate told the 23-year-old he needed to work harder by pointing out that Smith, then the third-stringer, arrived earlier and prepared better than he did.  This did not lead to a change in Haskins’s behavior, the person added.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/07/washington-kyle-allen-dwayne-haskins-benched/

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Setting aside my feelings about how confident you are on that topic, I guess I’m just confused how Rivera was supposed to have “a plan” at QB if he thought Haskins sucked but still wanted the job? He inherited a 1st round QB picked by the owner and had to at least give him a shot, but clearly 2021 is the offseason I’d expect him to be eyeing for “his” guy that he’ll be married to. He wasn’t hired into a clean slate or in a position to take “his guy” at QB, he was hired to a team that had just spent serious capital on a guy he probably didn’t believe in. What’s the play there? He wasn’t staring at a Kyler Murray on the board that would give him the justification to immediately pull a Rosen on Haskins—even if he generally liked Tua he was staring at Chase Young right there. 

If Ron had wanted a different QB this offseason, Tua or Cam or Herbert for example, I think he absolutely had the power to get them.  These four games weren't the source of that power.  Snyder gave him carte blanche when he hired him.  He's one of the most empowered HCs in the NFL right now.

I don't know what Ron's long term plan at QB is here, TBH I suspect he doesn't really have one.  I think he knew he doesn't have a GM over him and he doesn't have to win at all this season so he punted on making a long term this year.  I think HCs who are given GM powers can be pretty short-sighted about the long term planning necessary for sustainable team building, and that's what I think is going on in our situation.  If someone doesn't force him to get a QB and immediately and permanently commit to the kid's development in the 2021 draft, then I think the same **** that always happens to us will happen all over again--we get to year three or four of a HC's tenure and they haven't done enough to settle and develop the QB position and win and then whole regime and build ends up collapsing.  TBH, a HC really needs to get their QB plan installed in their first offseason so they can win ASAP and cement their tenure, because most of the prospects take three or four years to become legitimately good passers.

Given that it's pretty clear this regime wasn't interested in developing Haskins, if Ron and the FO had Tua projected as a franchise QB, then he needed to be the pick at 2.  No matter how good Chase Young ends up being, he can never eclipse the value of finding a strong QB and securing an era of competitiveness for the franchise.

4 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

“Teammates have tried to motivate Haskins, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.  Earlier this season, the person said, at least one teammate told the 23-year-old he needed to work harder by pointing out that Smith, then the third-stringer, arrived earlier and prepared better than he did.  This did not lead to a change in Haskins’s behavior, the person added.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/07/washington-kyle-allen-dwayne-haskins-benched/

The rumors, the coach bringing up the sideline, saying the players want to win, etc. Seems like there are issues between the team and Haskins. Maybe this sparks a fire in them and gives them some hope.

6 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

The rumors, the coach bringing up the sideline, saying the players want to win, etc. Seems like there are issues between the team and Haskins. Maybe this sparks a fire in them and gives them some hope.

I was giving Haskins the benefit of the doubt on the work ethic stuff because of all the videos and off season work, etc.  But I recall one of the beat guys on a podcast saying during camp practices they watched, Haskins wasn't the first to arrive, last to leave.  i didn't think much of that but that WP article makes me rethink that some/    I doubt that's the issue but I'd guess with Rivera its a mix of things that weighed in his decision.   Alex has the reputation on the other hand for being relentless as to putting in time. 

So, some of you legitimately believe that there is no plan, no blueprint, no idea what this team wants to do at QB?

And you guys don’t find it remotely possible that Snyder ASKED Rivera... “look, I’m giving you control, but I want you to give Dwayne a shot. He was our first and I think he’s going to be great...” and Rivera said, “okay...” and the offseason was shaped around that?

Let me reiterate the name I just used: Dan Snyder. The same Dan Snyder who has been making personnel decisions for years and is signing Rivera’s checks. 

Rivera could say, “**** no” but, maybe he was curious what Haskins had as well and wanted to find out. 

He gave Haskins a very real shot. It sounds like Haskins maturity issues, stuff that MANY of you poopoo’d me for all offseason may I add, are a real concern. 

Im not sure why it’s so hard to fathom that a guy who has struggled on field, hasn’t done anything particularly well, has some maturity issues, has his agent tweeting and has the body language he had today after he was benched is no longer the starting QB...

Was it hope?

Was it that you really wanted Haskins to be the guy?

Was it because this franchise is snake bit and even with almost a total reboot this offseason you’re still holding a brand new regime accountable for even drafting Haskins to this **** show to begin with?

What is it?

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was giving Haskins the benefit of the doubt on the work ethic stuff because of all the videos and off season work, etc.  But I recall one of the beat guys on a podcast saying during camp practices they watched, Haskins wasn't the first to arrive, last to leave.  i didn't think much of that but that WP article makes me rethink that some/    I doubt that's the issue but I'd guess with Rivera its a mix of things that weighed in his decision.   Alex has the reputation on the other hand for being relentless as to putting in time. 

So in your opinion do you think something happened behind the scenes between the Ravens game and todays announcement that made the decision happen this soon? Considering he said after the game he was going in to the Rams game as the starter. I really thought he'd give him one more game and not demote him to pretty much practice squad qb.

26 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Don't think it's fair to compare anyone's work ethic to Alex Smith's.  Or to expect a 23 year old to understand that perspective.  

27 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Woh Nelly! A lot more going on behind the scenes than we knew.

If true the decision absolutely had to be made or Rivera would have lost the lockerroom. 

No excuse for laziness and lack of dedication in any player but for a qb that’s expected to lead it is a fatal flaw beyond repair.

1 minute ago, megared said:

Don't think it's fair to compare anyone's work ethic to Alex Smith's.  Or to expect a 23 year old to understand that perspective.  

I bet Burrow is in the office early. Herbert. Lamar. Mahomes. 

The successful quarterbacks are also usually some of the most dedicated. Of course, there are those super dedicated who stink, too. 

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Honestly, I sensed something amiss back at the beginning of Training Camp, and Thomas Davis tried to offer him some helpful veteran feedback in a friendly way, and Haskins responded "What if you're wrong ?"

Be ready. There’s going to be a contingent that says that’s not a real report and it’s spin control. 

Watch.

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I bet anything that included players like Jon Allen from Alabama, and winning traditions like that.

There are really only a handful of players there long enough and who have done their job well enough to deserve to speak up. Kerrigan, Payne, Allen and I guess Tress. 

everyone else has contributed more to the losing ways  than they have to winning ways.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So, some of you legitimately believe that there is no plan, no blueprint, no idea what this team wants to do at QB?

What is it?

If you believe Ron came in with ultimate authority, why couldn't he have brought his guy in initially?  Nothing has occurred over the past four weeks that make this decision timely (outside of the division being trash).  The appeal of this job was the ultimate authority...why didn't he use it up front? 

Switching the plan you had at QB for the season, 4 games in, is indecisive at best.  I think it's fair to question whether said 'plan' ever existed.  

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I bet Burrow is in the office early. Herbert. Lamar. Mahomes. 

The successful quarterbacks are also usually some of the most dedicated. Of course, there are those super dedicated who stink, too. 

We don't have to bet with Alex.  They've written 30 for 30's on just his work ethic.  Alex Smith IS the guy they coined the 'first to arrive, last to leave' term for.

Holding anyone to that standard is ridiculous.  99.9% of pro players probably call it career and never compete again professionally.  

21 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

So in your opinion do you think something happened behind the scenes between the Ravens game and todays announcement that made the decision happen this soon? Considering he said after the game he was going in to the Rams game as the starter. I really thought he'd give him one more game and not demote him to pretty much practice squad qb.

My guess is he wasn't sold on Haskins as the future QB, the comment from him about if Haskins wants to be a starter in this league screams that Rivera might not think the dude has a high ceiling.  I'd gather there were some other things as to practice in the soup that perhaps convinced him he's not on his way to become that guy.   And yeah the agent comment I bet rubbed him and some others the wrong way.

Reading some of the comments here, you'd think Rivera is Jim Zorn or some fringe HC just flailing through his decisions.  Rivera, the same dude who won coach of the year for 2 seasons and made it to a SB.   Same dude known for his integrity and honesty and is respected around the league. Same dude that did help groom a franchise QB.  

I don't get why its so crazy to think that Rivera was willing to play it out some before making a decision.  it's like a buddy of yours pushing you to go out with someone, you have some doubts, but you give it a go. it's not crazy.  If it doesn't work out, you find someone else.   Mega talented QBs can make a difference quickly.  Look at what Burrow is already doing.  Murray.  It didn't take long for Watson and Mahomes.  Haskins IMO isn't that kind of talent but that doesn't mean you can't strike gold quickly with a QB who has that kind of talent.  

I see the comments -- some here, and some on twitter from some in the media about same old same old Redskins.  I don't get that.  There is no automatic ride that every Qb drafted should get.  Plenty have been benched.  Few saw Haskins as a borderline perfect prospect.   And if he though that his accuracy-footwork, etc isn't an easy thing to fix and is betting against it or whatever -- its perfectly reasonable.  Same old same old Redskins would mean riding with Dan's pick through thick and thin versus moving on from that dude. 

When Gibbs returned he ultimately benched Ramsey.  He was not mean spirited about it.   He didn't have to go into a long explanation about it.  And, Ramsey didn't exactly leave here and kill it.    So if Rivera wants to do the same.  It's fine.  It doesn't make him some misguided dummy. 

I just answered that: Snyder likely asked to give Dwayne a shot and Rivera was intrigued enough to see it through. And now he’s seen, heard and had enough.

His plan this year was to see it these guys could hack it.

I guarantee there’s a plan moving forward. If not, I’ll join you on the “wtf is wft doing” train.

3 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

If Alex is healthy.  I don't get the switch to Allen. I lived just outside of Charlotte. Once the league got tape on him, Kyle Allen was a turnover machine. 

Evaluation likely. Familiarity within the system. 

25 minutes ago, megared said:

So that's initially true...but, once it's been clarified to you (as Haskins) that Alex's level of commitment is needed and expected, and you don't change at all?

That one paragraph in the WaPo article is brutal.  What a gut punch.

Archived