Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

So, question about the PFF grades, and I'm not bashing them per se, just trying to understand. The Giants just got gashed by the Steelers on the ground, giving up 149 yrds, and had 3 sacks. This is their DL and OLBs:
image.png.6f73eef8b27daa32dfd481f5f5fbcb91.png

We had an dominating game, against a beat up line admittedly, everyone knows 8 sacks, 57 total yards rushing. And this is ours:

image.png.5bb5c713ca3cd2b071c38927234fb6d1.png

I'm curious how they came to this conclusion.

The Giants gave up the 2nd most expected yards per carry. They were manhandled. 

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Yikes!

Absolutely love the honesty out of our new coach, and frankly he's actually being optimistic.  Right now, this OL is so bad, it makes it difficult to even evaluate other groups on the offense.  Its difficult to evaluate DH, makes it difficult to evaluate the WR's, its difficult to evaluate the RB's, and its even difficult to evaluate the TE's other than in their blocking duties.  Until we get about two or three more starting-caliber linemen in here, its gonna be pretty difficult to get a real feel for what this offense can do, and thats gonna take at least one more off-season to be quite honest. 

Anyways, no need to harp on the past too much, but we do have to recognize that our past incompetence has left us in a situation thats gonna take at least one full year to begin to recover from.  Lets focus on getting Dwayne some experience playing under constant heavy pressure -- meaning lay off and let the kid struggle through some adversity without writing him off as a bust immediately, and see how far we can ride this defense.  Im kinda amazed to see how many people were critical of DH, after he still found a way to win.  Yes, he was inaccurate -- tends to happen when your starting LG gets pushed back into the parking lot on the first play of the game

Didn’t like his pocket awareness in the 1st game compared to last season. Not sure if I’m operating under some confirmation bias of being worried some of Haskins innate abilities will be coached out of him, resulting in a robotic average QB. Not making any conclusions just a thought when watching the game. 

Thoughts? More to do with it being a new offense? 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Another L for the Giants OL.  Side note: our DL was not as dominant as Wentz was terrible.

This is where statistics get lost on me. If one was to read “7 of 8 sacks, Wentz held the ball for 4+ seconds” one would conclude that a bad Wentz was more responsible for the sacks than our good defense. But, off the top of my head, at least three sacks Wentz ducked and ran off another 2-3 seconds after 1st contact trying to avoid another tackler. Plus, the secondary coverage also likely contributed to Wentz not being able to release the ball when he wanted to. Wentz looked pretty darn good in the first half and I bet Philly fans were already popping champagne corks.  

This is why stats just don’t cut the mustard for me as they only tell part of the story. Football is situational. It’s based on a series of downs and a sustained drive of several successful sets of downs.   An individual player could have two bad plays in a row, but have one good play in a series of downs that leads to a first down. But one first down isn’t a success neither.  Success in football is based on drives. And weaker players can be masked by stronger players or by clever play calls. It takes all 22 coupled with good play calls and a good game plan and sometimes a little luck to be victorious. And victorious we were despite what PFF and NGS says. 

I love the candidness of our new coach. He sees what we see. No sugar coating. And I like how he is getting these 53 players to play like a team. I liked both the offense and defense game plans in spite of the atrocious first half by all three phases. Even with our sub-par O-line and very young receivers, we managed to score on 5 of 6 drives in the second half. Thank goodness for the defense giving the offense short fields, though. 

I’m done. 

Those stats are meaningless to me (unless I’m misunderstanding) bc it didn’t take four seconds for the rush to get to him, yes he held the ball but he spent much of those four seconds in many cases evading a rush that got there earlier...the sack just wasn’t official until he hit the turf. But the pressure caused it earlier than four seconds in. 

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Didn’t like his pocket awareness in the 1st game compared to last season. Not sure if I’m operating under some confirmation bias of being worried some of Haskins innate abilities will be coached out of him, resulting in a robotic average QB. Not making any conclusions just a thought when watching the game. 

Thoughts? More to do with it being a new offense? 

There was no pocket awareness at all. 

That would require a pocket. 

5 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

Shoulda drafted this John Burrow kid

Ah. Yes. John Burrow.

I believe he played for San Jose Prep in the early 2000s. Strong arm. Talented. Too bad about the foot that was just one giant toe. He could have made it.

Joe Burrow, though, was the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. When you draft second, you cannot choose the guy that was drafted before your selection.

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

There was no pocket awareness at all. 

That would require a pocket. 

Id actually argue he showed pocket awareness for the most part by getting rid of the football. He forgot how bad the line was once, double clutched, and never forgot again.

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ah. Yes. John Burrow.

I believe he played for San Jose Prep in the early 2000s. Strong arm. Talented. Too bad about the foot that was just one giant toe. He could have made it.

Joe Burrow, though, was the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. When you draft second, you cannot choose the guy that was drafted before your selection.

In the OSU QB room he was hazed for 2 years by being referred to as John! By Dwayne Hankins among others..

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ah. Yes. John Burrow.

Id actually argue he showed pocket awareness for the most part by getting rid of the football. He forgot how bad the line was once, double clutched, and never forgot again.

Yes, just a bit of banter.

LOL, with all the Giants O line stuff.  Being the dude who brought them up.  I agree that the Giants O line sucked against the Steelers.  I wasn't debating that.  I disagree though that the talent level they have is same as us.  I am betting that Zeitler didn't overnight turn from one of the best guards in the NFL to one of the worst.  I am betting on Thomas just getting better and protecting the blind side better than Christian.  i am betting on Hernandez over Martin.  Will see.  But if Thomas ends up a bust, Hernandez just as bad as Martin.  Zeitler's career nosedives. And the dudes they drafted like Lemieux and Matt Peart not being the answers over the course of the season.   No one will be happier than me. 

I hate the Giants.  But at the moment I do not think their talent versus ours on the O line is a wash.  They've have put more draft capital at that position than we have in recent years, I think they got more upside than ours.  When was the last time we used a 2nd rounder or up on the O line?  It's been awhile.  Not for them.  They IMO have more young talent on the O line.   S. Charles (if he can stay out of trouble being the wildcard)

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Those stats are meaningless to me (unless I’m misunderstanding) bc it didn’t take four seconds for the rush to get to him, yes he held the ball but he spent much of those four seconds in many cases evading a rush that got there earlier...the sack just wasn’t official until he hit the turf. But the pressure caused it earlier than four seconds in. 

If you’re referring to pass rush win rate, you’re misunderstanding. It measures how often a defender beats his blocker in 2.5 seconds or less, so you would have a high rate even if you didn’t record a sack or if it took you longer to actually get the sack.  

It’s a completely objective measurement that is based on tracking data, using chips in the players’ helmets. 

We were well below average in this stat last year as well, and most of us attributed it to playing in a 2-gap system versus 1-gapping. Well, we’re 1-gapping now. If we continue to grade out as below-average in this stat, it’s going to catch up to us and we’ll struggle against QBs who don’t take forever to get the ball out. 

Archived