Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

21 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

So if I’m grasping this correctly Lamar Jackson and Kirk Cousins were pretty much at the top of the qb  class with respect to this stat?

Yup.  It's just 1 week, and some of Kirk's stuff was when GB was already ahead.  Keep in mind this stat doesn't cover TD's or Int's or Fumbles.  But I think this stat does do a good example of aggressiveness.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:15 PM, KDawg said:

I really like Smith. His contract? Not so much. But Smith? I like him a lot. And I don’t think we’re 3-13 with Smith last year. Though in hindsight, He Who Shalt Not Be Named is gone because of that... so... silver linings and all.

Hoping for better from Haskins over time than Alex.  If you have a good team around Alex you can win.  But you are a one and out team in the playoffs with a dude like Alex even with good players around him, typically.   Though I do buy the beggars can't be choosers line in the context of this team. 

When we went head to head with good QBs who could play like Brees and Ryan we were smoked that season with Alex.  But he's the perfect foil to a dude like Ryan Fitzpatrick and is the right guy to beat bad and even mediocre teams.  Fitzpatrick is a aggressive but makes mistakes.  The Redskins defense destoyed Fitzpatrick in Tampa. Alex played "meh" against Tampa but he didn't hurt the Redskins chances.  Fitzpatrick did hurt their chances.  Hence Tampa set a record if I recall that game for the most lopsided yard advantage for one team that still resulted in a loss.  In a similar fashion, Haskins IMO wasn't hot against Philly.  I'll give him a break because of the O line.  Yet, Wentz threw backbreaking INTs and Haskins didn't though Haskins was lucky on a couple of throws.  You can win that way but there is a ceiling, and I doubt we'd ever see a SB with this. 

Like I said few days back, it wouldn't shock me if two years from now, we'd still be talking about Haskins showed flashes just like some of our other young QBs -- we initially had hope in and clung to the positives and brushed off the negatives -- but like the previous young QBs, he ended up "meh".  Or conversely Haskins rises from the ashes of previous QBs we've had here and ends up our first top tier QB.  I disagree with Sheehan who seems to sees him as not having a highest ceiling but also having a low bust potential.   For me he's more of a boom-bust QB.   So I am similar on him as @volsmet where I see him as boom-bust.  And also like @volsmet I'd bet on Drew Lock over Haskins if I had to put money on one. 

I am listening to Cooley's breakdown of Haskins right now.  I know Cooley is often loved when he backs our guys and is a buffoon when he doesn't. But he's been mostly right especially with the benefit of hindsight on a lot of our players.  I hated Cooley when he slammed RG3's play in 2014.    Cooley gave Haskins a C -.  He talked about basically him having poor accuracy at times, poor touch. His completion rate if you take out the line of scrimmage throws was really bad -- he said charting it he was 11-25 if you chart throws that went beyond screens-line of scrimmage throws.  If you listen to his descriptions when he gets into detail play after play, you don't leave the discussion feeling warm and fuzzy.  It was interesting to hear Sheehan on the other side of that conversation because he has a massive man crush on Haskins.  For the Kirk haters here -- some irony I find that Galdi and Sheehan who were big time Kirk homers are also probably the biggest Haskins homers.  It means nothing.  But it strikes me deja vous as for man crushes on our young guys. 

One thing I'll double down on Haskins with 100% confidence.  And, I don't care who tries to argue with me on it. 😀  I just saw it with my own eyes again and again and again in training camp last year.  That is, the dude has poor touch on balls around the numbers, and he isn't good at hitting runners-receivers in stride for YAC especially in the flat.  I watched him throw at least 300 balls in camp and he was somewhere between bad and awful at it.  He wasn't always hot at it last year in season and was bad it at last week.  Daniel Jones who most here think is a scrub is actually a wizard at throwing balls in the flat and hitting receivers in stride. 

Fortunately, its not the only throw that matters,  Haskins is really accurate around the numbers.  He has a quick release.  And has really good arm strength.  He's a good dude IMO, too.  I mentioned here some of my quick interactions with him in camp -- really nice guy.    I wish he had a better supporting cast.  But at the same time, I can't also rule out seeing some of the same weaknesses in play in games that I saw in training camp and just blaming that on the O line every time.  Rivera himself has said multiple times that Haskins feet-eyes-arm have to be in synch and it's something he needs to improve at.  I think Haskins can get there.  But I am not banking on it as a sure thing or even likely.  I am at about 50-50, lean slightly positive.   To me its a possibility and I hope and I think he could get there. 

Right. Which is why I said I’m fine with it as a progression.

If the worst case scenario is Haskins = Smith we’ve done alright. Not great. But not a waste of a pick entirely.

Ideally he’s better than Smith, of course.

As for your assertion that he struggles outside the hash - yes. Something I’ve said for awhile as well. Dude just doesn’t play the hashes well.

Haskins is similar to how Lamar threw the ball a few years ago. I think he’s a more talented passer than Jackson two years ago for sure, but he throws to targets.

Jackson this offseason focused on throwing to spots. Hollywood Brown just had an interview where he noted that and said it’s much better for the receivers now and it’s a big improvement for Jackson. I agree. You throw with anticipation and YAC happens. Dwayne needs to trust his reads and throw with anticipation as a key part of his development.

But if he’s not there yet, I’m sure Zampese knows the logical progression for him.

So right now if he needs to be Alex Smith... great. That’s what we need. Someone who doesn’t turn the ball over on offense and a D that forces turnovers.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I cut Haskins slack because not only does he show great potential in just his second year, but he hasn’t started as many games as the average second season quarterback.  And this is a whole new system for him.

I cut him slack, too mainly because his supporting cast is pretty bad.  What i am looking for is progress on certain things. 

34 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Dak and Dallas is showing how poorly a QB performs with a poor offensive line in front of him.  He's been blessed with a great one so far in his career.  Couple of injuries on that line, and it's a completely different QB.

I know I'm not the highest guy on Haskins, but I am liking him more now that he's shown some maturity... And I think he could pan out well for us.

But this point is so true regardless. I don't care who you are, unless you're a literal all-time great, if you don't have an OL, you are going to look a lot worse than you are.

5 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Someone should do a chart comparing Haskins throwing to Terry vs everyone else in his career.

I bet it's not going to be pretty

Nothing about the bust is pretty other than some bs workout videos in the off season. He’s now a skinnier bust. A bust without baby fat. But a bust nonetheless.

He’s like the Terrell Pryor of QBs without any actual production ever in the NFL.  Pryor at least had the Browns year at WR.

I’m not claiming he caused Ron’s illness but he’s obviously not helping the recovery situation with his play. Ron quit on the game. No timeout. Just straight quit. That’s 100% on bust. 

ive been one of haskins biggest supporters, and still think he has a lot of potential. i also don't know what the front office was doing when they thought they could start the season with this turnstyle offensive line, and think they had a chance to be competitive.

that all being said, even when haskins has time, he hasn't been impressive (terrible accuracy, poor footwork, etc) .. we brought him in as a franchise qb, so obviously need to give him more time with a new coach than 2 games. but he needs to get WAY better fast

3 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Listening to Haskins, he says they figured out their defense in the second half...I can see that.

He needs to play well from start to finish.  That's the main thing IMO.  Just the second half won't do.  '

Overall, I liked how he finished.

shouldn’t take an entire half to figure out they are running a cover 3/cover 4.

2 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

ive been one of haskins biggest supporters, and still think he has a lot of potential. i also don't know what the front office was doing when they thought they could start the season with this turnstyle offensive line, and think they had a chance to be competitive.

that all being said, even when haskins has time, he hasn't been impressive (terrible accuracy, poor footwork, etc) .. we brought him in as a franchise qb, so obviously need to give him more time with a new coach than 2 games. but he needs to get WAY better fast

Same bs excuses for Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell. Haskins is a bust dude. A sunk cost. Time to move on. He just sucks as an nfl qb. It’s not for everyone. Only 15 people on the planet do it remotely competently. He’s simply not one of them and never will be. It’s ok. Time to try to get someone who can do it. This dude simply can’t.

The expectation should always be a bust. That’s the reality. That’s the default. Especially with a guy Dan drafted over the objections of the football people. Oh no! Dan was wrong as acting GM! What a shocker! 

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Same bs excuses for Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell. Haskins is a bust dude. A sunk cost. Time to move on. He just sucks as an nfl qb. It’s not for everyone. Only 15 people on the planet do it remotely competently. He’s simply not one of them and never will be. It’s ok. Time to try to get someone who can do it. This dude simply can’t.

The expectation should always be a bust. That’s the reality. That’s the default. Especially with a guy Dan drafted over the objections of the football people. Oh no! Dan was wrong as acting GM! What a shocker! 

Chances are better than not than you're right, but since this is a rebuilding year we may as well let him play out the season and see if he gets better.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Chances are better than not than you're right, but since this is a rebuilding year we may as well let him play out the season and see if he gets better.

I don’t disagree. Unfortunately our defense is too good for us to get Trevor Lawrence. Maybe try to trade for Rodgers. 

Archived