Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been saying it for years on the Giants-Redskins game threads.  We don't hate that team enough.  They are just as obnoxious as the other 2 NFC East fan bases from my experience and they have no reason to be.z

They're #1 on my most hated team list. But I grew up in the 80's, and the Parcell's Giants more than the Cowboys were always the team in the way, and the team to beat in the NFC East.  I actually grew up thinking the Giants were the bigger rival. My first Redskins moment that I can remember was the SB after the 1983 season.  I was 6.  I don't have memory of the NFC Championship game, probably because I didn't watch it.  My parents are immigrants from India, so the whole football thing was lost on them.  We went to a SB party, which is when I first really watched football.  And after that, it was always the Giants in the way, not the Cowboys. And the Giants vs. Redskins game from 1983-1991 were WARS.  Basically the team that won the season series won the division and had a chance to go to the SB. 

In fact, and I haven't looked this up, since 1982 through 1992, I think either the Giants or the 'Skins won every NFC East title.  Somebody can check my math on that, but I don't remember the Eagles, winning one, and I think the 1982 season was the last good one of the Tom Landry era, and I'm not sure if they got back to the playoffs until Jimmy Johnson was the coach in 1991... (I could look this up, but I'm too lazy.)

And then with the John Mara led salary cap penalty thing, it was reinforced.  

Their fans are, and always have been obnoxious.  I never really HATED the Eagles, though I acknowledge they are the worst behaving fans in football, and I was very happy with all of their disappointment.  Dallas is Dallas.  But there is a special hatred in my heart for the Giants.  Also, I hate NY as a city.  Either you love it, or you hate it, and I just hate it.  Good restaurants, though.  Everything else you can keep.  

Thinking about it some more.  Based on circumstances could mean if no one picks him up, and we have an injury.....

I think it's more "we get into TC, and Haskins can't call a play in the huddle, Cam is available and will sign a 1 year deal and is healthy."  Because in that scenario, you're probably starting Kyle Allen anyway. And if you're going to start Kyle Allen, why don't you stat the better former Panther?

Personally, I loathe this idea because I really don't like Cam at all.  I don't like him off the field, and I don't like his game on the field.  Off the field he's sore loser and a pain in the ass.  On the field, he's slow with the football and inaccurate.  I also think we've seen that absolute best of Cam and I doubt he will get to that level again.

It's not that I dislike Cam.  I think when he was at his prime, he was great.  But wonder about his health now and got doubts he would be at ease as a backup if that's how it went down. 

His prime was 2015, when all the stars aligned.  I don't see that happening again. 

18 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

One of the things that’s different going  into the season is Haskins body. I know some dog him for posting his workouts on social media but he very clearly lost weight. He looks more swole and his feet look lighter when he drops back. That will help him a lot in evading pressure vs last year.

I've been surprised by somethings relating to Haskins last year both on the plus end and minus end.  As for the plus end, his mobility really surprised me.  I mentioned it when I watched some camp last year.  If he's in even better shape, that's a good sign, I agree.

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading his quotes, my best guess is no on Cam but maybe if he's dirt cheap and no one else picks him up?   I think Cam is too big of a name and personality to keep as a backup.

His quote "I am not sure if I would do it, and I am not sure I wouldn't do it."

I saw that interview. He was also very complimentary about Haskins - it was pretty clear they are hitching the wagon to Haskins and want to give him every possibility to prove he's the guy (or not!). He said a couple of times the circumstance were not right given the young QBs in house to bring in an established vet like Cam. He did not rule it out explicitly but I think Haskins would have to blow up in spectacular fashion during camp for anything to happen in regard to Cam.

Pretty crazy Cam is still on the street though. Andy Dalton is a free agent as well.

29 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

That depends on how many options/offers he has on the table.

Im sure if he has a starting job offered elsewhere, he’ll take it. If he has no other options, or they are far from appealing, you never know. 

Personally I’m not fussed either way. If RR wants him, I’m fine with that. If he doesn’t want him, same goes, fine by me.

Yeah, I don't see his fit here. Not since we brought in Kyle Allen. He also strikes me as a bit of a malcontent? But if Ron wants him, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They're #1 on my most hated team list. But I grew up in the 80's, and the Parcell's Giants more than the Cowboys were always the team in the way, and the team to beat in the NFC East.  I actually grew up thinking the Giants were the bigger rival.

I am with you on this sentiment.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Their fans are, and always have been obnoxious.  

Yep.  The media who covers them, too.  And of all team's fans-media, that team from what I observed is the most condescending about the Redskins.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Personally, I loathe this idea because I really don't like Cam at all.  I don't like him off the field, and I don't like his game on the field. 

LOL, yeah I am cool with Cam.  I like players who have that athletic arrogance.   Some here criticized Haskins for showing some of that too (though he is much more muted than Cam on that front) and I said the same about Haskins -- i actually like it. 

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I saw that interview. He was also very complimentary about Haskins - it was pretty clear they are hitching the wagon to Haskins and want to give him every possibility to prove he's the guy (or not!). He said a couple of times the circumstance were not right given the young QBs in house to bring in an established vet like Cam. He did not rule it out explicitly but I think Haskins would have to blow up in spectacular fashion during camp for anything to happen in regard to Cam.

Pretty crazy Cam is still on the street though. Andy Dalton is a free agent as well.

I don't think anybody trusts the medical on Cam and until they can bring them into their own facility and have them checked out by their doctors, I can't imagine anybody taking a risk on Cam.

And I think at this point the going theory on Dalton is he sucks.  So, I think he's going to be looking for backup work somewhere.  I'm somewhat surprised Jay hasn't gotten him signed in Jax to be the backup.  That's fairly shocking, actually.  

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

the timing I think makes it tough with Cam.   You'd want your team doctor to examine him and they obviously can't.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And I think at this point the going theory on Dalton is he sucks.  So, I think he's going to be looking for backup work somewhere.  I'm somewhat surprised Jay hasn't gotten him signed in Jax to be the backup.  That's fairly shocking, actually.  

He was just released a few hours ago, takes a little time. Jax rumored to have interest. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LOL, yeah I am cool with Cam.  I like players who have that athletic arrogance.   Some here criticized Haskins for showing some of that too (though he is much more muted than Cam on that front) and I said the same about Haskins -- i actually like it. 

I'm nothing if not consistent, I don't like that part of Haskins either, and I hope he grows out of it.  

Athletic arrogance I like.  The sore loser part I don't.  I can live with extra celebrations and having a good time, to an extent.

Though, my bigger issue is really that Cam's about as likely to sore a 15 yard out 10 feet over the receiver's head or bounce pass it to him as he is to hit him on time and between the numbers.  He is best as a dual threat guy, throwing to TEs and taking the occasional shot down field.

I actually like Haskin's skill set.  He can set up, get through progressions and hit guys accurately as long as his mechanics are not all out of whack.  And he can move around enough to create time.  I think what the team did to him from a preparation standpoint last year was criminal negligence.  So I'm hoping he gets enough reps in whatever there is of practice this year to make a big jump between year 1 and 2.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was just released a few hours ago, takes a little time. Jax rumored to have interest. 

I should have been more clear, I'm surprised Jax didn't trade a 2029 conditional 7th round pick for Dalton the minute Jay was signed to be their backup.  

Everybody knew he wasn't going to stick in Cincy, it was just a matter of time. And you could trade virtually nothing for him.  

Now that he's released, obviously it's the most likely landing spot.  

45 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Cam is only just turning 31 in May

He's an old thirty-one. Possibly more importantly, he had two rough years in a row in Carolina due to injuries and maybe a decline in ability. There's not a lot of reason to imagine that he'll have a renaissance here given the same brain trust. I think Rivera/Turner went as far as he could with him.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think the Jags are the obvious landing spot for Dalton. 

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually like Haskin's skill set.  He can set up, get through progressions and hit guys accurately as long as his mechanics are not all out of whack.  And he can more around enough to create time.  I think what the team did to him from a preparation standpoint last year was criminal negligence.  So I'm hoping he gets enough reps in whatever there is of practice this year to make a big jump between year 1 and 2.

I should have been more clear, I'm surprised Jax didn't trade a 2029 conditional 7th round pick for Dalton the minute Jay was signed to be their backup.  

I like Haskins' skill set, too.  Although, I am with Walker among others though on the point that I don't give Haskins a pass for his specific part in supposedly not always being prepared.  But hopefully, that's the past.  I love everything I've been reading about his off season thus far. 

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Everybody knew he wasn't going to stick in Cincy, it was just a matter of time. And you could trade virtually nothing for him.  

Now that he's released, obviously it's the most likely landing spot.  

who knows but judging by twitter, NE has some interest in Dalton, too.  That would be wild going from Brady to Dalton.

Cams best options are/were Indy and Jax. Outside of that, no one wants him as a starter, and even less like him as a backup. He keapernik’d/tebowed himself with the Press conference fashion shows and baby momma shenanigans. Forget the deteriorating physical attributes that made him an mvp. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him sit on the wire for months. 

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Haskins' skill set, too.  Although, I am with Walker among others though on the point that I don't give Haskins a pass for his specific part in supposedly not always being prepared.  But hopefully, that's the past.  I love everything I've been reading about his off season thus far. 

I totally agree, I don't give Haskins a pass on that either. Something a boss of mine said to me ages ago is if I wanted a promotion, then I basically had to force him into doing it by not giving him any other choice.  Ie. work your ass off, do a good job, and then he had no choice but to promote me.  I was a little older, probably mid-20's, when I had that talk. But I also wasn't the 15th selection in the NFL draft, so Haskins should have gotten that memo somewhere and not moped around for 4 months while Jay ignored him and wished he was elsewhere.  

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

who knows but judging by twitter, NE has some interest in Dalton, too.  That would be wild going from Brady to Dalton.

1 or 2 things would happen: Dalton would become great and everybody would bow down at the alter of Bill Belichick (more than they do now) or 2. he's there as a backup, and disappears into obscurity.  

My bet would be on #2.  But it wouldn't shock me if Dalton started a HOF career until Belichick.  Surprise, yes.  Shock, no.  

38 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Cams best options are/were Indy and Jax. Outside of that, no one wants him as a starter, and even less like him as a backup. He keapernik’d/tebowed himself with the Press conference fashion shows and baby momma shenanigans. Forget the deteriorating physical attributes that made him an mvp. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him sit on the wire for months. 

Indy backing up Rivers?  That wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Honestly, the place that makes the absolute most sense is Baltimore backing up whatshisnugget.  Or maybe Tenn backing up Tannehill.  

Jax doesn't make sense, he's not at all a fit for what Jay does offensively.  

Haskins has a fair deal of psychological pressure to deal with. Should be the making of him if he puts the graft in. Or breaking.

New staff, new scheme, QB from the previous regimes gig brought in. Long term starter from the same place unemployed still, however lurking and Rivera not closing that door. Haskins needs to works.

One major thing in his favour is that Rivera must think he has something. Grading him as a first rounder gets Haskins on the ladder with Rivera. Now he needs to climb it. If Rivera has thought differently about Haskins during last years draft, he would likely be a bit more down the hole. 

Once we start playing ball, I don’t think it will take long to figure out what direction this QB situation is heading in....

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I totally agree, I don't give Haskins a pass on that either. Something a boss of mine said to me ages ago is if I wanted a promotion, then I basically had to force him into doing it by not giving him any other choice.  Ie. work your ass off, do a good job, and then he had no choice but to promote me.  I was a little older, probably mid-20's, when I had that talk. But I also wasn't the 15th selection in the NFL draft, so Haskins should have gotten that memo somewhere and not moped around for 4 months while Jay ignored him and wished he was elsewhere.  

Me, too.  That's part of the reason why I loved Doc Walker's rant on this topic because it came off so refreshingly balanced.   I noticed with some of the talk radio types even some here on the subject can turn it into a polarizing topic pro or con.  To me you can like the kid, feel sorry for him as to the context involved but also see some of the criticism about him as a red flag that he needs to put to rest.  Both things IMO can be true at the same time.   And if we dig a little deeper into the process via the stories which were shared, Jay wasn't some lone wolf dissenter about Haskins, there were others including some within the FO according to most with concerns too. 

For me, I do feel sorry for Haskins.  I do think he got a bad hand.  And from small personal experience seeing Haskins up close, I think he's a super nice guy.  At the same time, I can't give him a pass either for the other stuff and the fact that an Ohio State reporter said that he wasn't always all over it as for preparing there either at a juncture -- makes me think the dude has some maturing to do on that front.  To paraphrase Doc he doesn't need a hug from his coaches to prepare hard -- if you aren't valued the way you'd like then work even harder and make these coaches notice you.  Though he said it funner and a more provocative way than that.    And if I heard him right, he said he told this right to Haskins directly.  And if so I love that.

From what I've read about Haskins he does have a really good competitive drive about him and he's not fragile.  So I think some of these type of criticisms will likely be good fuel for him.  I love reading about his off season thus far, he seems to be on fire as for prep.  So am feeling good at the moment albeit I got some concerns about installing a new offense when you can't even practice it.  I think it puts teams with new coaches at a major disadvantage. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1 or 2 things would happen: Dalton would become great and everybody would bow down at the alter of Bill Belichick (more than they do now) or 2. he's there as a backup, and disappears into obscurity.  

My bet would be on #2.  But it wouldn't shock me if Dalton started a HOF career until Belichick.  Surprise, yes.  Shock, no.  

Indy backing up Rivers?  That wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Honestly, the place that makes the absolute most sense is Baltimore backing up whatshisnugget.  Or maybe Tenn backing up Tannehill.  

Jax doesn't make sense, he's not at all a fit for what Jay does offensively.  

Nah. I meant he would have been a decent option there until Rivers went to Indy. 

As for Jax: cam is only effective throwing to big wideouts. I think he would pair well with Chark. Cams options are slim. 

I feel like Cam is a potential headache we don't need. Is he going to expect to start? If he's prepared to potentially be a backup, will he be a sore loser if he doesn't win the job and cause locker room drama?

Yeah, he's only going to be 31 but he's taken a beating in that time, so I think he's past his prime, insofar as he had one. 2015 was really the only year he was an excellent QB, and not just a big guy who had a huge arm and was always a threat to run so had to be accounted for in both ways.

Coming off of a bad foot injury and surgery, I don't think he would command as much respect in the running game. Which means teams would probably force him to beat them through the air. And he's just never been especially good at that when the threat of him taking off isn't there. 

I'll pass. 

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

As for Jax: cam is only effective throwing to big wideouts. I think he would pair well with Chark. Cams options are slim. 

He’s the complete wrong fit for Jays system. And if we’ve learned anything, Jay doesn’t adapt his system.  Can also needs a run game.  Jay has never coordinated a good run game. The skins didn’t start running well until after he was fired.

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

I feel like Cam is a potential headache we don't need. Is he going to expect to start? If he's prepared to potentially be a backup, will he be a sore loser if he doesn't win the job and cause locker room drama?

I don’t want this to appear like I’m advocating a move for Cam, because all of my post are quite pro-taking a chance with him, :ols:, but they really aren’t.

As a balanced view IMO, I don’t get this whole Cam will be a headache line. 

He’s on the street with limited options. He isn’t going to **** about if RR throws him a bone. Just don’t see it.

Cam coming onto our roster would be on RRs terms, plain and simple.

I selfishly hope Cam stays off a roster for the foreseeable future, but that we stay in touch. 

Because if we are in the race for the division halfway through the season and something happens to Haskins, it would be nice to have Cam to call to come in and play reckless to try to earn a FA contract for 6-8 weeks, let him audition for other teams and see what happens with our W-L record. That's a better backup plan than most teams have right now if their starter, young or old, goes down. And in that case he'd be fun to watch and everyone would be behind him as we'd know it would be a short term thing. Win while you can and go nuts while our young franchise guy is hurt, Cam, no hard feelings.

Obviously I want Haskins to stay healthy and develop into a stud. But what I'm saying is that if our defense is for real and we're playing pretty good football in the NFCE, we all should be hoping an option like Cam is for some reason sitting out there in the wings in case of disaster at the QB position.

Jones is not diagnosing coverages well at all.  He doesn't have the arm to push the ball downfield on the move either.  And his timing with his receivers was poor.

He's a mediocrity.  Another Eli.  He's capable of managing a loaded team to wins but he is nothing special and he'll look really bad and cough it up constantly if he's on a bad team like they are right now.

Archived