Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Agree on that second pick. In fact both picks were bad.

On the sack I assume you mean the last one he took when both the SS and a LB came from his left side. We have very basic protections in but I somehow got into an argument about this play on Twitter after the game. I have only seen the TV replay of this so I reserve the right to be flat wrong (and I refuse to go break down tape from a first preseason game!)

It looked like we were in a simple 'Jet' 6 man protection in which the line was sliding right leaving the LT to man up on their RDE and the back to pick up any additional rusher. The SS declared early as potential blitzer on our left so Haskins probably should have checked the protection to slide to that side. But we still should have picked it up. The T blocked their DE. Their DT was initially double teamed by our LG and C and both the LB and S rushed. So the LG came off the double team and picked up the backer. The back should have picked up the S. 

The backs rule is work inside out on who to block. Because the LG initially blocked the DT I think he thought the LB was coming clean as well as the S and ended up blocking the LB along with the LG. The S came clean. I THINK Haskins expected the back to pick him up so did not throw hot or just throw it away. We had the bodies to pick it up.

Regardless good play to watch over again for all concerned.

Which is why we pay position coaches.

Agree Martin, nice roundup. 

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

16th, exotic blitz, show 7 blitzers.  But MLB and RE fall back into coverage.  This was the one Haskins spun out of a sack and almost hit Sims along the side of the endzone.

Thank you thank you thank you for breaking down the line play while Haskins was the QB. When I watched the cut-up today, the line played better than I remember last night. On play #16, if Haskins would’ve seen #82 JO Holtz break open, we would’ve easily had a 1st down. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My favorite play was the one where he dodged pressure, rolled out to his left and threw a catchable ball in the end zone to Sims.

It was a heck of an athletic play by Haskins for sure but that would’ve been an even more athletic catch if Sims could’ve held on. 

At camp I was saying Haskins on keepers and just running forward with the ball looked much faster than I expected.  I don't think he's quick moving laterally but I do think he's surprisingly quick moving forward.  

I am doubling down on that point because he showed that yesterday.  And I was surprised how many keepers he had in camp.  I wasn't sure from where i was sitting if that was via RPOs or ROs or whatever.  But we saw some of that yesterday, granted in those cases it was Haskins escaping a collapsing pocket. 

41 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My theory about what Haskins was thinking on that play is that he realized he was about the **** the dog as he began the throw and that's why he sailed it.  An "ah ****" moment where he realized he was making a mistake too late to change course.

If I recall Jay said something specific about that route, Haskins threw too early or missed something related to it.  Here's the back end look of that INT. 

haskinsint.png

Game Pass is sort of screwed up right now so its hard for me to isolate plays so right now I am randomly doing it because its hard to pause and stop the game tape.  Maybe it's mere coincidence but the O line didn't look hot during most of the plays I isolated.

The first/2nd clips has both Parris and Penn failing to block the edge rushers where the pocket is collapsing on Haskins on both ends.  On the 2nd clip, Haskins escapes that pressure and runs for a nice gain.  Impressive.

The next clip is one of the running plays where we had no shot because the pocket on the right collapses.

The last clip is a defender rushing into Haskins face and Haskins doesn't flinch and completes a pass.

IMO we had some nice flashes in the mix last night.  

haskinsescape.png

haskinsescape2.png

haskinsrb.png

haskinscomplete.png

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

I agree.  I think the Skins should shine Keenum up to start and play Haskins a lot during the preseason so he gets a chance to get some field experience and Keenum is prepared to make the most of this season if the Skins stay in the race Keenum should play the whole year if they fall out of contention for the playoffs then maybe it would make sense to let Haskins play to season him but I don't want to play him before he understands the offense and defenses well enough to be successful.

I just don't see the point with Keenum.  I think he's the least talented out of the 3.  Colt has the best chance of helping the team to have a good season.  Knows the offense better, gets the ball downfield, tough leader, and stronger arm than Keenum.  Keenum's passes seem to spend a lot of time in the air.  I don't see him making a lot of tight-window throws downfield.  He's a good back up and I think that's all he'll ever be.  If Colt goes down the season is over.  Put in the kid and let's see what we have. 

I had a hunch last night and I’ve now confirmed that every pass attempt was either on the numbers or outside the numbers. Why is this significant, you ask?  Well, these are the hard Pro throws that Haskins or most college QBs don’t have to make but occasionally. In other words, like @volsmet pointed out last night in the game thread, Gruden didn’t scheme the routes for Haskins. Only one shallow crosser drag route by #15 - not exactly Parris Campbell taking that another 30yds down field. 

Also, Of the 8 of 14, I think 6 went for first downs. I think 4 of those were third down completions for 1st downs. Somebody check me on that. 

I think Haskins should feel good about his play. Too bad those two seemingly ugly INTs left a bad taste in most of our mouths. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1159816118443401221

DH is going to be a good one.  He has the "it" factor IMO.  Huge arm, can scramble. KNOWS HOW TO SLIDE!

I literally jumped off my seat when the kid performed a proper slide.

I definitely think he should start, and I think the team wants him to win the job hence 2+ quarters of play last night.

Future looks bright for the kid, hope we can shore up the OLine for him.  Please come back TW!

17 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Colt ... Knows the offense better, gets the ball downfield, tough leader, and stronger arm than Keenum.  Keenum's passes seem to spend a lot of time in the air. 

No way, Colt has very limited range and arm strength. Doesnt mean he cant throw the ball with some mustard in the short/medium range if he has time though 

Case doesn't have a rocket arm, but his downfield passing game is far more efficient then either Colt or Haskins.

If its there, Case can get it there deep.

The problem is him behind this line will lead to a plodding offense and turnovers/negative plays. He's not a savant at avoiding pressure or feeling the rush even though he can play outside the pocket.

Haskins went from not playing in the 1st pre-season game to playing in the 1st pre-season game. So for me there is defiantly lots to like and obviously lots of learning for Haskins as he now will be able see what he did good and what not so good on the field in a semi-real game. 

Anyone who think he should have been Brady like and should have elevated the game must have hit the bong a few too many times before and during the game.  

36 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Well, these are the hard Pro throws that Haskins or most college QBs don’t have to make but occasionally.

Trying out moving pockets for him and simplifying his reads.  I also think he is noticeably more comfortable throwing against man coverage and high safety coverage on the outside than into middle zones, as volsmet pointed out.  He knows he can beat trailers, bump and run, and cover 2 shells, that's just a matter of his arm talent.  The ability to dissect zones in the middle will take time to develop.  Easier throws but harder reads.

You're right that it's a good sign that he's aggressively throwing the ball downfield.  He's going to make a lot of mistakes from doing too much, but you don't get great without making the defense cover the whole field.  He's got a long career ahead of him and this early part needs to be about him playing with swagger while developing his intuition and situational understanding.  In the meantime, it's clear we're going to need to get some more guys on offense to help prop him up until he can prop us up because he's going to be spraying the ball and throwing into coverage and he's going to get hit hard after protection break downs.

23 minutes ago, Mooka said:

No way, Colt has very limited range and arm strength. Doesnt mean he cant throw the ball with some mustard in the short/medium range if he has time though 

Case doesn't have a rocket arm, but his downfield passing game is far more efficient then either Colt or Haskins.

If its there, Case can get it there deep.

The problem is him behind this line will lead to a plodding offense and turnovers/negative plays. He's not a savant at avoiding pressure or feeling the rush even though he can play outside the pocket.

I agree on Case. I posted on here several times we'd go after him. 

Jay does love him some Colt though.

33 minutes ago, illone said:

DH is going to be a good one.  He has the "it" factor IMO.  Huge arm, can scramble. KNOWS HOW TO SLIDE!

I literally jumped off my seat when the kid performed a proper slide.

I definitely think he should start, and I think the team wants him to win the job hence 2+ quarters of play last night.

Future looks bright for the kid, hope we can shore up the OLine for him.  Please come back TW!

He definitely showed flashes of the talent that got him picked in the 1st. But I think it would be a borderline disaster if he were thrown to the wolves now; he's not ready. There are too many issues with his game that need to be corrected before he's ready to be a full time starter IMO...most coming from lack of experience and starting time. The good news is that they're all fixable. But remember, most of his playing time last night was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, and he still had a couple of wtf interceptions and sacks. 

18 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

After reading ES, I thought for sure he would look awful when I finally got to see the game.

i thought he looked pretty damn good to my eyes. Good poise and awareness. Rocket arm. Plays aggressive. I think he gets the mental side down and turns out to be really good for us.

I agree. He's got it. Got to hope to hell we can turn that into the real deal at QB.

If season goes terribly the first half, then bring Haskins and let him have the freedom like Peyton did his rookie year to make a ton of dumb and brilliant plays, providing tape for him to delve into and learn from during the off season. 

He will do both, and that’s exciting! 

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If season goes terribly the first half, then bring Haskins and let him have the freedom like Peyton did his rookie year to make a ton of dumb and brilliant plays, providing tape for him to delve into and learn from during the off season. 

He will do both, and that’s exciting! 

Yeah, but DH isn't anywhere near the prospect that Omaha was when he was drafted. Peyton was a 3.5 year starter at Tennessee, came from a pro offense, had excellent footwork and fundamentals, etc. He was absolutely ready to start day 1...and he still had tons of picks. 

But I mostly agree in theory. If the season is basically a lost cause then I'm fine with it but only IF Haskins has demonstrably improved on his footwork and understanding of the offense as the season has gone on. I may be in the minority on this but I don't necessarily think he has all that much to gain at the moment by being thrown to the wolves, especially if our OL continues to be suspect. We could end up with a shell shocked guy instead of a guy who's learning.

He has great poise but there's only so much you can learn when your fundamentals are still lacking...especially if you're also getting the ball and usually have rushers closing in on you inside of 2 seconds consistently. He wasn't used to that pressure in college (and his game suffered quite a bit when they did get to him) and he sure as hell won't be ready for it in the NFL yet. 

He needs time.

Definitely see us scooping up a savvy vet or two OT and OG to help on the left side.  Cuts will be coming and think we will fix the problem before the regular season starts.  Just a guess.  IF so, it helps to protect our QBs.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

He definitely showed flashes of the talent that got him picked in the 1st. But I think it would be a borderline disaster if he were thrown to the wolves now; he's not ready. There are too many issues with his game that need to be corrected before he's ready to be a full time starter IMO...most coming from lack of experience and starting time. The good news is that they're all fixable. But remember, most of his playing time last night was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, and he still had a couple of wtf interceptions and sacks. 

I had been saying the same thing as you before I got to watch him handle adversity.  After watching DH respond to the two picks I've changed my mind.  I don't think Haskins is a (mentally) fragile player.  I think his mental toughness is probably his greatest strength.   Whether we believe in him or not doesn't seem to matter.  The kid believes in himself and I really like that.  Now, I still think the team should roll with Colt first and see what happens.  But as soon as he gets hurt (I hope not though because I like Colt) or the season seems to be going south then I think the team should roll out DHJR and see what happens.  

Haskins’ mental make up is most encouraging to me and continues to add on to this feeling as I continue to gather information to get to the know the dude from a fan perspective. 

I remember reading something on Alex Smith sharing it took a long time to develop self confidence, allowing him to be true to himself and eliminate outside influences/noise. Haskins appears to have a great deal of self confidence and conviction already as a young player, but with proper perspective and overall balance. Allowing appropriate influences, deliberate practice, and overall individual improvement. 

Intangibles are difficult to quantify, but he appears to have a great deal of it at a young age. I get the feeling nothing will break the guy, put him in any situation and he’ll figure it out. Still a lot of work to do fundamentally and mentally though, excited for the ride. 

Archived