Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 7/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thanks.

I won't pester you with too many requests, but I would like to inform you of my own personal crush if you could look out for him, and post where you see him used much - Elijah Wellman. He's a pure FB and we usually don't keep that position. But he is a monster when it comes to blocking on run plays.

I am hoping it turns out he can catch the ball too, in order to help him earn a spot under the TE chart.

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What will I do with my life now ?!?!

Ugh...well, thanks for the news, SiP

It sort of fit what I saw which I said days back that I didn't notice Wellman but saw Flanagan play some FB, ditto Anderson.

On another note, to the article below, I am not sure I agree from what I saw that Colt has a stronger arm than Keenum.  Although it was clear that neither one has a strong arm but I'd lean Keenum based on what I saw as to raw arm strength.  I'd lean Colt as to who played better.  If his other point is true and that Haskins' flashes on Sunday haven't come back in subsequent practices then I'd agree with his conclusion that this is a battle between Colt and Keenum for the starting job.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-qb-situation-case-keenum-wins-day-may-have-also-revealed-flaw

RICHMOND — Aside from the Sunday practice where Dwayne Haskins was on fire, the Redskins quarterback battle down here has been a back and forth between the veterans. Thursday's practice featured moments for both Colt McCoy and Case Keenum, but in the end, you can give the edge to Keenum.

With that being said, while he may have won this particular session, he may have also revealed a key flaw that could hold him back from taking the overall job.

You probably know by now that Haskins has the strongest arm among the three vying to start in Week 1. McCoy and Keenum were thought to be pretty much even, yet so far, McCoy's arm appears to have more life to it.

For example, in one 7-on-7 play, Brian Quick broke open deep down the left sideline. Keenum made the right read, picked him out and lofted a pass to him. The ball had a lot of air underneath it, causing Quick to slow down and essentially stop to make the grab.

So, was it a chunk completion? Sure. With a better, stronger throw, though, that chunk completion turns into a huge touchdown.

That's what's meant by saying Keenum played the best on Thursday while also showing he may not be the best man for the job. Of course, arm strength is far from the only thing that'll decide this, but it'll be a factor.

Haskins will rarely need more zip on his ball and McCoy's solid with his intermediate to downfield looks. Keenum, on the other hand, seems to come up short the more he extends himself. In a race as tight as this, every difference like that is worth noting.

Day 7 QB Performance:

1. Case Keenum
  2. Colt McCoy
  3. Dwayne Haskins

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Everyone thought Colt had a noodle arm ?

Just ask @bakedtater1 .

It's that Idaho Raw Unpasteurized milk that's bulking up both his bones and his arm strength 🐄

Lol, yeah, like I said days back watching Colt, he did out of nowhere throw a laser on an intermediate route. So maybe it comes and goes for him?  I didn't see much of it though, I just recall that one throw.   At least to my eyes, his throws don't have much mustard on them.  His throws still have a lot of float to them.   To my eyes the unpasteurized milk hasn't kicked in yet. 

And that’s where Haskins finds himself right now.

The key, O’Connell believes, is getting him to visualize so whether he hears the call over a headset or reads it off of his wristband, he actually sees the play unfold in his head before he even calls it in the huddle.

“Kevin’s just been teaching me how to picture it,” Haskins said. “He’ll tell me the formation and let me process the formation. Then he’ll tell me the play. At first, I was just calling plays off of memory, and so I would read a play before practice, or read a play the night before and remember how that play was, and actually be able to picture what a different formation was rather than just hearing a play call. It’s hearing a play call, knowing what the play means, where the protection is and where the read starts. Things like that.”

Says O’Connell: “In our offense, plays have a lot of checks, so if you don’t understand what we’re trying to get accomplished, you’re going to be running bad football plays.  And so, when you throw all that into a young quarterback’s head, sometimes they get to the line of scrimmage, and you can just feel it: It all goes blank. If he can remember the snap count at that point, that’s wonderful, but he ball is still going to be in his hand, and you want him to have that positive outcome in the palm of his hands.”

Haskins feels like although pre-snap struggles remain, he’s getting to the point where post-snap, instincts are kicking in. He’s understanding where his reads should take him, and how to react to what the defense throws at him.

He’s starting to take some chances and display aggression, like the play in a recent practice where slot receiver Trey Quinn ran a flat route with veteran cornerback Josh Norman in coverage. Haskins spotted something in Norman’s body language that indicated the corner didn’t expect him to make the throw because of where Norman was positioned. So, Haskins pulled the trigger. Together, he and Quinn burned Norman for a completion in the back corner of the end zone.

Quinn spiked the ball in jubilation, which in turn fired up Haskins, who ran downfield, playfully woofing at Norman on his way to celebrate with his wideout.

“That got me hyped,” Haskins recalled with a subtle smile. “I love throwing against those (veteran) guys. I talk smack to them every day. … I want to see what I can do out there. Of course, I want to challenge them. (Patrick) Mahomes is going to throw that, (Philip) Rivers is going to throw that. So, it’s good for them to be able to see and react to that, and I want to be in that special realm of quarterback play and I’m just trying to see how far I have to go before I can get seasoned and play a long time.”

The Redskins don’t have any set timetable for when they want Haskins to start. They just want to ensure that he’s equipped as possible before they do make that move.

Haskins wants the same thing.

"I’m going to start one way or another, whether that’s sooner than later,” Haskins says confidently. “I know when I play, I don’t want to start, sit down and then watch again. When I play, I want to be ready to play, and I want to be dominant and want to play for a long time. I don’t want to get into numbers and how many Super Bowls I want and all that. I’ll just let God take care of it. … The goal for me is to be the best quarterback, best person, best son, best teammate I can be in that moment and the rest will work itself out.”

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Hoffman (and merging that segment with a previous one), he thinks Colt is emerging as the clear starter and separating from Keenum.  Haskins is the clear #3 and thinks he needs time and they will give him that time.   

Colt starting Game 1 wouldn't surprise me at all.

But it would shock and upset a lot of fans.

Colt starts week 1 because he knows the system best, has the biggest percentage of the playbook available to him, and let's be honest he's Gruden's favorite. And on a selfish level, he's a sacrificial lamb. Nobody has long-term hopes for McCoy, and that early stretch of the schedule is brutal. 

If he falters, we go to Keenum who by then will be more comfortable with the playbook, has the most starting experience, and again is the second sacrificial lamb on the roster. If we're being honest, nobody is concerned with Keenum's future here either.

Around the time that stops working (if that's the case), Haskins should be ready to give us a spark and gain some experience. And a couple of the young (most likely backup) WRs that he's been building chemistry with in practice will hopefully be ready to usurp the less exciting vets around the same time. Guice should have really built confidence in his knee by then (if it's even a problem now) as he steals more and more of the workload from AP, whose old legs could use some rest at that point anyways. The OL, which needs weeks to build their own chemistry and will potentially need to get used to a new LT and LG, will hopefully gel in time for Haskins' emergence. 

At that point we either make an exciting late-season run at a wildcard spot to save Gruden's job, or we're playing to see what we've got in Haskins and the young guys, with lots of FO and coaching staff uncertainty.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Hoffman (and merging that segment with a previous one), he thinks Colt is emerging as the clear starter and separating from Keenum.  Haskins is the clear #3 and thinks he needs time and they will give him that time.   

Our first round QB is a clear backup to two career backup QBs? Jus kill me now, get it over with...

14 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

At that point we either make an exciting late-season run at a wildcard spot to save Gruden's job, or we're playing to see what we've got in Haskins and the young guys, with lots of FO and coaching staff uncertainty.

I think you're right about your prediction.  It feels like the natural course for the season.

The uncertainty about the future of the coaching staff is the thing that gives me the most anxiety about this team, but we have two years to figure it out.  I think Jay will be the coach through 2020, unless he loses the team this season.

I realize he has few fans, but I hope that he gets an extension.  I really don't like the coaching carousel.  I really don't like new coaching hires inheriting recent high draft pick QBs who are unestablished.  And most of all, I hate the thought of wasting this defense on a regime change.  It's essentially built and ready to win.  I do not want to have to start over from square one with them, because it took over a decade to build this thing into a unit that could be excellent.  Jay has a QB and a defense now.  I'm hoping that it's finally enough to escape the horse latitudes.

But I'm also kind of hoping we get one last high draft pick before we see signs of progress in the build.

12 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I hope Haskins turns out to be a gamer, and that it shows in preseason.  

Not just preseason, but in the games he faces 1st stringers, and when the other team is closest to their regular season form, in other words, the 3rd preseason game.

5 hours ago, dyst said:

God just hearing Colts name depresses the **** out of me. 

Why ? Ryan Grant ? Quinton Nelson ?

Or did I miss something ?

I didn't really want to pick a QB with our number one this year. I thought we were heading for a terrible year, next year's crop of QBs are supposedly better, and there was a very good chance that we get a coaching regime change. That said, Haskins hasn't even played his first preseason snap. Be a little patient with the rookie.

9 hours ago, dyst said:

God just hearing Colts name depresses the **** out of me. 

The one advantage there is in McCoy starting is that it should allow Coach Gruden to open the whole playbook. Since McCoy has been here so long, he probably knows the playbook as good as Gruden.

With Haskins and, to a lesser extent, Keenum, he would have to use a limited playbook.

I'm thinking with this Thursday's preseason game, Colt will play the first quarter, Case the second quarter, and Haskins the second half.

20 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Our first round QB is a clear backup to two career backup QBs? Jus kill me now, get it over with...

Why would you expect a rookie QB who ran a simple college system for only 13 games to come in and absorb enough of an NFL WCO in a week or so of practice to outshine two veteran NFL QBs who have managed to start a lot of games in college and in their 7-8 year NFL careers?  As for me, I've been hoping Keenum would come in and clearly outshine McCoy so the Skins would have a significantly better option than McCoy this season. McCoy seems like a good guy but I've seen him play and while serviceable he has just seemed serviceable and unfortunately being smallish has gotten hurt.  I am still hoping Keenum decisively pulls ahead of the pack.

Back to Haskins, I don't want single you out and bust on you because it is obvious that most of the fans here fail to appreciate the most important capability an NFL brings to the field is knowledge and a mind quick enough to process the field quickly, their arms are of secondary importance.  Haskins may have a much stronger arm than either McCoy or Keenum but they have have been in the NFL running variants of a WCO since Haskins was in junior high so they have an enormous advantage at this stage.  

Archived