Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I never had a problem with Dwayne's comments right after the draft, a QB should feel that he is better than his ranking.  It's what has happened since he was drafted that has annoyed me.  People claimed Jay was unfair to him which was totally unfair to Jay.  Coach saw what we are all seeing, the guy can't play and does not have the right attitude.  I grew tired of people blaming everyone but the player for all of Dwayne's problems, I certainly grew tired of all of these issues. 

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The counter to this philosophy is Jimmy Johnson’s “treat everybody differently.”

The story is Jimmy cut a QB when he fell asleep in a meeting room.  Somebody asked him what he would do if Troy fell asleep and Jimmy said, “Wake him up.”

There are AWAYS allowances for circumstance and situation.  

Here’s the situation: if Alex is not ready to go, Haskins probably is still your best bet at winning the division.  And it would be somewhat unfair to Young, Sweat, Allen, Payne, Moses, Scherff etc. to cut or suspend Haskins in that situation and give the team a lesser chance to win the division. 

You can still cut him after the season.  

Of course, with covid protocols, he might not be able to be around the team anyway, so it could all be a moot point.  He might have taken the decision out of their hands.  

But I am not one to cut off my nose to spite my face.  If he can help, given this situation, then I would let him help, then I’d release him or trade him as soon as the season was over. 

And while there are some what want to say Haskins is as incompetent on the field as a 6th grader, so clearly Montez or the other guy would be better, that’s just not true. I guarantee you if Ron could be done with Haskins he would be and he would have turned to one of those guys already if he thought they could help the team win.  This is not the Bruce/Jay Skins.  If Ron thought he could get Montez to play well enough to win, he might have played last week.  

I'm in agreement that every 'different' player should be treated differently, but they certainly shouldn't be disciplined differently for the same offense unless, for example, one player has a history of similar offenses preceding the most recent one, whereas the other player has committed none prior. The other matter is the severity of the punishment. In your example of Troy and the other QB, if the penalty for sleeping in a meeting room was instead to run 5 laps around old Texas Stadium, Troy would have and should have been just as eligible for such discipline as the other QB, but since the sentence was an outright cut from the team, then logistic, financial, and team considerations were naturally factored in due to the finality and widespread implication of the punishment.

That said, the situation of the Washington Football Team is different than that of many other ball clubs in the NFL, including that Dallas Cowboys team. We are attempting to course-correct from an obscenely long history of cultural iniquity, ownership malfeasance, and organizational misconduct. That Cowboys team had to endure only 3 losing seasons prior to the arrival of Jimmy Johnson, where it had still preserved some semblance of cultural integrity, whereas this organization has been the hotbed for incompetence and negligence for more than 25 years, save for the brief reprieve of Gibbs's second tenure. We are currently in a transition, shifting precariously from the embarrassing reality of our past to a hopeful certainty of a bright future. While no team is perfect and every franchise has their own share of headaches, I cannot help but think, being a Daniel Snyder selection, Haskins represents perfectly and sublimely the way things used to be around here, a microcosm of things as they were, and a stern example should be made signifying those days as OVER, regardless of the short-term implications of it all.

But as you said, perhaps nothing needs to be done since established COVID protocols and the NFL could adequately settle matters and spare Ron the work.

9 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I'm in agreement that every 'different' player should be treated differently, but they certainly shouldn't be disciplined differently for the same offense unless, for example, one player has a history of similar offenses preceding the most recent one, whereas the other player has committed none prior. The other matter is the severity of the punishment. In your example of Troy and the other QB, if the penalty for sleeping in a meeting room was instead to run 5 laps around old Texas Stadium, Troy would have and should have been just as eligible for such discipline as the other QB, but since the sentence was an outright cut from the team, then logistic, financial, and team considerations were naturally factored in due to the finality and widespread implication of the punishment.

That said, the situation of the Washington Football Team is different than that of many other ball clubs in the NFL, including that Dallas Cowboys team. We are attempting to course-correct from an obscenely long history of cultural iniquity, ownership malfeasance, and organizational misconduct. That Cowboys team had to endure only 3 losing seasons prior to the arrival of Jimmy Johnson, where it had still preserved some semblance of cultural integrity, whereas this organization has been the hotbed for incompetence and negligence for more than 25 years, save for the brief reprieve of Gibbs's second tenure. We are currently in a transition, shifting precariously from the embarrassing reality of our past to a hopeful certainty of a bright future. While no team is perfect and every franchise has their own share of headaches, I cannot help but think, being a Daniel Snyder selection, Haskins represents perfectly and sublimely the way things used to be around here, a microcosm of things as they were, and a stern example should be made signifying those days as OVER, regardless of the short-term implications of it all.

But as you said, perhaps nothing needs to be done since established COVID protocols and the NFL could adequately settle matters and spare Ron the work.

The question you have to ask yourself, for the rest of the players on the team, which is more important, sending a message to a player who's going to get cut at the end of the season anyway, or putting yourself in the best possible situation to win the division?

I personally think wining the division and having a playoff run would do more, and then you cut bait with Haskins after the season, which you were probably going to do anyway.  

So to me, sending the message RIGHT NOW seems kindof pointless.  The message is going to be sent.  Go win a game.  Hell, once they've won the game, cut his ass as far as I'm concerned and tell Alex he has to be ready by the playoff game, even if they have to insert another person's calf muscle in his leg.  I don't care.  Just go win the Goddamn Carolina game.

1 minute ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Either Alex's calf issue is more serious than we think, or they want to rest him another week to face Philly and they believe Haskins is good enough to beat Carolina. Or maybe neither. Go WFT!

I think it's more like Alex is a huge injury risk and Dwayne is the best option of the backup QBs available.  

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Either Alex's calf issue is more serious than we think, or they want to rest him another week to face Philly and they believe Haskins is good enough to beat Carolina. Or maybe neither. Go WFT!

Or they think they can beat Carolina with Haskins.  Or they want to rest Alex until the playoffs in an ideal world. If they win against Carolina, and the Giants lose, I'm all in favor of a forfiet against the Eagles.  Don't bother taking the trip, stay home, rest up, and get ready to go for the playoffs. (I get that will never happen, but I'm saying, it's a meaningless game, and Alex probably wouldn't be playing anyway.)

Archived