Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just finished watching this breakdown.  This might be the best one I've seen so far.  Love how willing he is to show Haskins' negative plays, while still giving him a lot of praise for his good ones.  Something new I learned from this video was how much Haskins needs to improve on identifying and reacting to corner blitzes.  I never really noticed that before when I watched him play, nor have I seen it mentioned anywhere else.  Luckily, this is something that can be improved with experience.

The guy who made the breakdown is a huge Redskins fan by the way, but this video was made long before the draft.

If Jay decides he needs to sit all year, I still want to see him on the field.  It's more common than ever to see 2 QBs on the field at the same time.  Put him out as a decoy if nothing else. If they don't cover him throw him a lateral and let him toss one deep. 

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just finished watching this breakdown.  This might be the best one I've seen so far.  Love how willing he is to show Haskins' negative plays, while still giving him a lot of praise for his good ones.  Something new I learned from this video was how much Haskins needs to improve on identifying and reacting to corner blitzes.  I never really noticed that before when I watched him play, nor have I seen it mentioned anywhere else.  Luckily, this is something that can be improved with experience.

In a post I made a bit earlier I mentioned that he gets praised for plays he misread, the corner blitz being missed was one of those plays I was referring to - if you miss those with an equally talented roster you’re out of luck. Fortunately, those are the easiest blitzes to pick up on with experience. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

In a post I made a bit earlier I mentioned that he gets praised for plays he misread, the corner blitz being missed was one of those plays I was referring to - if you miss those with an equally talented roster you’re out of luck. Fortunately, those are the easiest blitzes to pick up on with experience. 

Hey buddy You remember the 91 season well? Didn't the Skins blowout Detroit early that year?

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The guy who made the breakdown is a huge Redskins fan by the way, but this video was made long before the draft.

I don’t agree with the corner blitz analysis at 3:47, he didn’t need to let it go sooner, he handled a low snap & his WR had a double move to wait on, he just under threw the ball, it had nothing to do with identifying when the throw needed to be made, it was just a case ... like in the nba, sometimes guys don’t like being “too wide open”, he guided the ball rather than letting it go, common first start issue.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If Jay decides he needs to sit all year, I still want to see him on the field.  It's more common than ever to see 2 QBs on the field at the same time.  Put him out as a decoy if nothing else. If they don't cover him throw him a lateral and let him toss one deep. 

I say start him right off the bat. I think this guy will be similar to Jared Goff for you guys. I predict you guys will be in the Super Bowl soon with this guy.

2 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Hey buddy You remember the 91 season well? Didn't the Skins blowout Detroit early that year?

One of 3 early shutouts by our D, oh yeah, I’m old enough to remember the beat down.

🙌

The corner blitz v Purdue is a miscommunication at the line, the read is Campbell but they needed an automatic that had PC stay at the kind for a quick toss, that was likely a broken play DH stuck with, but he saw it & that’s where you go with it.

How well the Buckeyes RBs block is unbelievable. You notice OSU rarely protects with fewer than 6, and often 7. We need to do the same. Haskins has a long way to go & he can’t get there without time to set himself & read what’s in front of him... that’s difficult already, particularly with only 14 starts on the youngsters resume. 

I love that video httr, though I disagree with most of what the gentleman says, it opens great discussion.... few things better than breaking down plays, particularly from the perspective of the QB.

On the flat footed out DH hit v PSU, it showed a ton of talent, but his read on that is the RB. Little things, but his talent won’t get that ball there in the NFL. OSU runs complicated assignments & reads with ty their backs, they have a lot of responsibility, especially compared to nearly any other college.

33 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I don’t agree with the corner blitz analysis at 3:47, he didn’t need to let it go sooner, he handled a low snap & his WR had a double move to wait on, he just under threw the ball, it had nothing to do with identifying when the throw needed to be made, it was just a case ... like in the nba, sometimes guys don’t like being “too wide open”, he guided the ball rather than letting it go, common first start issue.

Yeah I don't think the corner blitz and when he got it out had much to do with it. That throw looked to me like his footwork got lazy. Instead of driving with his back foot it just sort of dragged forward a bit and the end result was a poor platform and follow through which caused the ball to be underthrown. Your phrase "guiding the ball" is pretty spot on there, I think. 

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I don't think the corner blitz and when he got it out had much to do with it. That throw looked to me like his footwork got lazy. Instead of driving with his back foot it just sort of dragged forward a bit and the end result was a poor platform and follow through which caused the ball to be underthrown. Your phrase "guiding the ball" is pretty spot on there, I think. 

When it’s that easy, all a QB hears is his coach saying, “just don’t overthrow it”, and that leads to awful under throws all the time, particularly from youngsters.

1 hour ago, ThePackisback said:

We're any of those teams you think better than the 1991 Skins?

This is off topic, but let's settle this once and for all. The 1991 Redskins were one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. They are most definitely the most underrated team in the Super Bowl era.  They didn't have much flash. They didn't have a lot of sizzle. They just went out and dominated football games. They had 3 shutouts the first 5 weeks of the season. They didn't give up a point at home until week 7, which was a 42-17 beat down of the Browns. Their QB Mark Rypien, who was not very mobile, was sacked 7 times all year. That's not a typo. Only 7 sacks all year. They just crushed teams all year. 

You asked about the Lions. They were pretty good that year. In fact, they made it to the NFC Championship game where the Redskins easily disposed of them. In the two games the Redskins played the Lions that year,  they outscored them by a combined 86-10. Their other NFC playoff opponent was the Falcons. They played them twice as well. They beat them by a combined 80-24. And of course in the Super Bowl, they shutdown the Bills until garbage time. The Bills were the most explosive offense in the league that year. 

Also, these are the QBs they beat that year with that dominant defense:

Troy Aikman, Boomer Esiason, Randall Cunningham,  Bernie Kosar,  Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms (The Giants started a different QB in the 2 games and the Redskins beat both SB winning QBs), Warren Moon, Jim Everett, and lastly Jim Kelly in the SB.  If you don't recognize those names, that is the who's who of QBs in that era. 

They were truly one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. They were the best Redskins team ever. And before you ask, they were the better than any Packers team ever. Start to finish they were one of the most dominating teams ever. It's a shame they are so overlooked, but that's just a reflection how efficiently they beat teams. They made it easy and so no one remembers them. 

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I don't recall that happening with any frequency. Any times in particular you can point to?

29 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

This is off topic, but let's settle this once and for all. The 1991 Redskins were one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. They are most definitely the most underrated team in the Super Bowl era.  They didn't have much flash. They didn't have a lot of sizzle. They just went out and dominated football games. They had 3 shutouts the first 5 weeks of the season. They didn't give up a point at home until week 7, which was a 42-17 beat down of the Browns. Their QB Mark Rypien, who was not very mobile, was sacked 7 times all year. That's not a typo. Only 7 sacks all year. They just crushed teams all year. 

You asked about the Lions. They were pretty good that year. In fact, they made it to the NFC Championship game where the Redskins easily disposed of them. In the two games the Redskins played the Lions that year,  they outscored them by a combined 86-10. Their other NFC playoff opponent was the Falcons. They played them twice as well. They beat them by a combined 80-24. And of course in the Super Bowl, they shutdown the Bills until garbage time. The Bills were the most explosive offense in the league that year. 

Troy Aikman, Boomer Esiason, Randall Cunningham,  Bernie Kosar,  Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms (The Giants started a different QB in the 2 games and the Redskins beat both SB winning QBs), Warren Moon, Jim Everett, and lastly Jim Kelly in the SB.  If you don't recognize those names, that is the who's who of QBs in that era. 

They were truly one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. They were the best Redskins team ever. And before you ask, they were the better than any Packers team ever. Start to finish they were one of the most dominating teams ever. It's a shame they are so overlooked, but that's just a reflection how efficiently they beat teams. They made it easy and so no one remembers them. 

That was a magical season.

4 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

Not sure about that, the '91 Skins are constantly ranked as one of the best teams of all time, several had them at the top spot.

6 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't recall that happening with any frequency. Any times in particular you can point to?

Taysom Hill, New Orleans.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillTa00.htm

Wildcat concepts were all the rage but have eased.  Its just a wrinkle to throw out at defenses.  He doesn't even have to be utilized, and it will still make DCs have to game plan for it.  Don't worry, Jay doesn't seem to be the type to do anything that radical. Lets be honest though, WRs line up wide countless plays over the season, and do little more than trot a few steps down field.

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Well, at least you will see Haskins on the field in preseason. :)

Beyond that, though, depends on how he (and Keenum) do.

15 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Well, at least you will see Haskins on the field in preseason. :)

Beyond that, though, depends on how he (and Keenum) do.

I suspect it's going to be pretty easy for Case to seize the starting role to start the year. He would be dumb to take risks.  And I think Jay is not going to unleash Haskins proper on defenses in preseason to create his own QB controversy, further than he will already be facing.  I wonder if a head coach has ever openly stated that they want a full blown QBC of 2 even matched guys. They could easily manipulate that via preseason play calling, by showcasing ones strengths, and exposing the others weaknesses.

Reports are focused on Haskins in camp but Keenum is doing well and short of Case collapsing in preseason, see the job as all but his.  He got first reps in camp and that says all I need to know to form my first guess, coupled with the common belief new kids have to sit a few weeks no matter what.

Here is one of my problems with Case. He is going to use this year for his next big contract.  ShowcaseCase2019.com.  If he does well, he is a rental to us, for he will bolt for greener pastures. Is watching that happen all year, really going to be best for Haskins development?  Amateur hour here but I will say hell no. Haskins is here to play and we all know it.

Archived