Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t think Case is going to have a super high ceiling this year, based on lack of WR talent. Unless Reed and Chris Thompson are healthy, he have one of the worst receiving cores in the league. 

Yeah, a lot would have to fall into place, IMO.  

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not just RB/TE, but a lot hinges on the development, or lack thereof, regarding the young WR's.

I know people are tired of the word "potential", but this young group could turn out to be great...or good. Too early to tell.

Questions at ILB and FS on D (and I’m not sold on our corners being any better than decent).  

TE - we have an interesting group, but if Sprinkle can’t/doesn’t contribute in the pass game, we’re left with an injury prone Reed, aging Davis, and not much blocking between the two of them.  

RB - aging AP, two backs coming off acls, and oft-injured Thompson

WR - some potential, but a lot of youth /inexperience and injury concerns as well. 

I think we’re building a good team, but the above, coupled with a young qb, lack of oline depth, frequent hobbling of our tackles, and (likely) a rookie LG... like you said, a lot of potential, but a lot of concerns too.  

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, a lot would have to fall into place, IMO.  

Questions at ILB and FS on D (and I’m not sold on our corners being any better than decent).  

TE - we have an interesting group, but if Sprinkle can’t/doesn’t contribute in the pass game, we’re left with an injury prone Reed, aging Davis, and not much blocking between the two of them.  

RB - aging AP, two backs coming off acls, and oft-injured Thompson

WR - some potential, but a lot of youth /inexperience and injury concerns as well. 

I think we’re building a good team, but the above, coupled with a young qb, lack of oline depth, frequent hobbling of our tackles, and (likely) a rookie LG... like you said, a lot of potential, but a lot of concerns too.  

At this point we have to be in the bottom 25% of the league at CB, FS, Ilb, WR — perhaps TE & RB.

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

At this point we have to be in the bottom 25% of the league at CB, FS, Ilb, WR — perhaps TE & RB.

Do you think so at CB? I think there is solid depth and talent here, just no true number one.

WR is definitely our worst unit. Bottom 5 in the league, probably, and it wouldn't surprise me if we were worst in the league. Which teams have receivers that our worse than ours?

15 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Do you think so at CB? I think there is solid depth and talent here, just no true number one.

WR is definitely our worst unit. Bottom 5 in the league, probably, and it wouldn't surprise me if we were worst in the league. Which teams have receivers that our worse than ours?

I don’t think there are 10 teams that would trade their CBs for ours, but that may not be the case. 

Our WR group depresses me, DH is going to be put to the test early, it would be nice to have added Beasley if we weren’t going to keep Crowder, I love that guy, he makes life easier.

A great defensive front can make an average secondary look very good.

I'd rather have a great defensive front and a slightly weak secondary, than the other way around.

For so many years, the Redskins had it the other way around, and we wished and wished we could

turn it the other way, and now we finally got it "balanced the better way". Maybe we should be thankful

at least that we're strong enough up front that it can cover a multitude of sins in the back end.

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'd rather have a great defensive front and a slightly weak secondary, than the other way around.

For so many years, the Redskins had it the other way around, and we wished and wished we could

turn it the other way, and now we finally got it "balanced the better way". Maybe we should be thankful

at least that we're strong enough up front that it can cover a multitude of sins in the back end.

A freak of a lb, like Foster, makes a DL much tougher, that threat is something we desperately need. The protection has more pressure with that speed on the field & the QB will hold the ball a bit longer if you have an athlete in the middle that can run/cover/create turnovers. 

23 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I would love to read what you all see in this game.

Good performance against a weak team.  He did everything he needed to.  Didn't seem to miss anyone, and his WRs weren't helping him much.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

It’s really hard to hang our hats on Stroman/Dunbar/Moreau, Nicholson, JHC, and SDH... but at least there’s some youth and potential there.  

I said it before, but I’m strangely ok with this receiving corp.  Not at all saying they’re good (I legitimately think they might be - and probably are - the worst in the league), but I find myself thinking they’ll be able to move the chains just fine.  Maybe it’s sort of the Mo Harris effect - the talent is just mediocre, but I never wondered why he was even on the field.  Doctson and Richardson with random moments of magic, Quinn the steady Eddie in terms of moving the sticks, and now we have some serious speed in McLaurin.  I do think Reed and Thompson help this group a fair bit if they’re on the field.  

Strange to look at Reed and Davis and think - they might be one of the top TE  pass catching pairs in the league... but they could also be one of the worst blocking pairs.  Add in injury and age... ouch.  

At RB, we’re so close to being awesome, but health is such a major concern...

54 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Norman is good when used correctly.  Moreau looked pretty good on the outside (vs unimpressive in the slot).  Stroman was ok in the slot, and Dunber’s decent (maybe a notch above?).  Alexander and Moreland are intriguing.  It’s an interesting group (that should be helped by the pass rush), but it’s also hard to have much confidence there, IMO.  

32 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I don’t think there are 10 teams that would trade their CBs for ours, but that may not be the case. 

Our WR group depresses me, DH is going to be put to the test early, it would be nice to have added Beasley if we weren’t going to keep Crowder, I love that guy, he makes life easier.

Can’t disagree about our corners.  I do like that they’re all (outside of Norman) young and they all have something going for them.  

I really hope Quinn can fill that role.  Probably not as quick, but he comes across as a technician and has some nice mitts.  

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I very much agree - it’s a nice change of pace for us.  I’m excited to see Sweat in action.  Would love to see one our guys (outside of Norman) really step up though.  

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

A freak of a lb, like Foster, makes a DL much tougher, that threat is something we desperately need. The protection has more pressure with that speed on the field & the QB will hold the ball a bit longer if you have an athlete in the middle that can run/cover/create turnovers. 

Yeah, it hurts to say, but seeing the Cowboys linebackers in action has really been a catalyst to my modified attitude towards ILB.  

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

It’s really hard to hang our hats on Stroman/Dunbar/Moreau, Nicholson, JHC, and SDH... but at least there’s some youth and potential there.  

I said it before, but I’m strangely ok with this receiving corp.  Not at all saying they’re good (I legitimately think they might be - and probably are - the worst in the league), but I find myself thinking they’ll be able to move the chains just fine.  Maybe it’s sort of the Mo Harris effect - the talent is just mediocre, but I never wondered why he was even on the field.  Doctson and Richardson with random moments of magic, Quinn the steady Eddie in terms of moving the sticks, and now we have some serious speed in McLaurin.  I do think Reed and Thompson help this group a fair bit if they’re on the field.  

picard-slow-clap.gif

*begrudgingly edited out some for fear of being locked up abroad, but that kind of post is why we come to the ES, that sort of thing is what keeps my spirits high even after walking in on my gf making out with my grandpa. 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

The longest time of the year, is the period between OTA's and TC.

Not if you count the Lady Vols v Florida for a trip to the softball World Series.

Game 3 tomorrow!

🙌🙌🙌

4 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

I'm devasted now. Bucks lose to Raptors. Tough loss. We will never win a championship.

Milwaukee is set for a decade, you’re talking to DC fans, please show some empathy. 

Maybe the last interview he did before the draft, for some interesting thoughts.

For lack of a better term, his "reserved" personality, could be the signal of some really good things, even though some fans have been

critical, judgmental, or over-assumptive about it. That aspect leads me to believe he will be more poised under pressure in the

pocket, and not easily flustered.

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Milwaukee is set for a decade, you’re talking to DC fans, please show some empathy. 

I'm a Packer and Bucks fan. It seems both teams gag in big games.

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

You guys have had more success than our state in sports.

7 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

I'm devasted now. Bucks lose to Raptors. Tough loss. We will never win a championship.

Just now, ThePackisback said:

I'm a Packer and Bucks fan. It seems both teams gag in big games.

How about the Brewers ?

You got a hockey team ? I wouldn't know, not much of a hockey fan, but I assume a frozen tundra like Green Bay, plus bein so close to Canada, area is ripe for some hockey

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

How about the Brewers ?

You got a hockey team ? I wouldn't know, not much of a hockey fan, but I assume a frozen tundra like Green Bay, plus bein so close to Canada, area is ripe for some hockey

Im not a hockey fan. Lots of folks here are Red Wing fans though for whatever reason.

The Bucks have the most enviable long term HC-franchise player combination in the NBA.  They've got a core of quality young role player talent surrounding Giannis.  They were never going to win a championship this season, it was a learning experience for them.  Giannis learned how to play at an MVP level for an entire season.  They learned how to play elite defense.  They learned how to close out playoff series and make a deep run.  They're going to be good for a long time.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Bucks have the most enviable long term HC-franchise player combination in the NBA.  They've got a core of quality young role player talent surrounding Giannis.  They were never going to win a championship this season, it was a learning experience for them.  Giannis learned how to play at an MVP level for an entire season.  They learned how to play elite defense.  They learned how to close out playoff series and make a deep run.  They're going to be good for a long time.

Typical for us to get far and blow it though.

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Just to be clear, I agree with your CB assessment based on our current personnel. There is a reason that top offenses shredded us last year. QB’s that drop back and get rid of the ball in rhythm gave us a hell of a time because our front 4 couldn’t get there and our LB’s and FS sucked and our CB’s were average. We were easy to scheme against. 

I thought Foster would help us in that regard but he may never be the same player again if the whispers of a nerve  or blood vessel injury are true. 

My point about the secondary was only that there is some talent there to build around. Dunbar was adequate before his injury last year. Some thought he was playing better than Norman at times. I liked Stroman as a prospect and rookie CB’s can struggle and bounce back. I think that between Stroman and Jimmy Moreland, we might have a solid nickel CB. I think one elite addition could change that unit entirely, but I guess that is true at WR as well. 

At WR, I just feel like we have nothing. Richardson and Doctson both have had career bests of about 40 catches. Both are just as likely to get hurt any given year and have 20-30 catches. I think McLaurin’s likely best case scenario is a 40-50 catch player with a solid YPC. 

As I said before, our best hope for the team’s passing game is that Chris Thompson and Jordan Reed stay healthy. With both healthy and producing, our offense could still be special. Hoping for that however feels like hoping for peace in the Middle East. 

Archived