Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, that's the clincher.

Doesn't play at V Tech, so can't be related.

Uh yeah..if he was related to them it would be considering All of the Fuller brothers did come outta Tech...smarta**!!

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

DWAYNE HASKINSWASHINGTON REDSKINS

The most intriguing part about Haskins’ game at this point might be the unknown. The highest single-season passing grade of every quarterback drafted in the first round since PFF started grading college players is listed below:

Only Sam DarnoldJosh Allen and Baker Mayfield didn’t earn their highest passing grade in their last season of college football (although Mayfield earned a 94.5 and we don’t have 2013 data for Winston or Mariota). Mitchell Trubiskyis also the only other quarterback besides Haskins to not throw 100-plus passes in multiple seasons. That means it’s very likely we would have seen even more impressive grading from Haskins had he not declared after his first full season as a starter after his redshirt sophomore season. Every first-round quarterback that’s hit the 87.0-plus grading mark has a pretty solid track record once they’ve gotten to the NFL.

Franchise QB Chances: Moderate (needs more seasoning)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-excited-should-you-be-about-your-new-qb

Phenomenal find, HTTR. 

tumblr_maok64JpvD1qa37hco1_500.gif

You know what may be good about his lack of collegiate snaps. Someone already touched on it but it bears repeating, but there is a chance his lack of snaps scared other teams away, dropping a future gem to us at 15.  And what else? Not that QBs log tons of wear and tear, but we got a young low mileage QB to mold into the best he can be.  

I think some didn't want him to start right away because he would be 'tossed the wolves' or whatever shocking horrible sounding fate we want to call it.  But weren't some of the guys that DID start 4 years in college ostensibly get tossed to the wolves themselves (on crappy teams, horrid OLs etc)? So if playing too soon is not always good, the teams drafting them may regret taking a guy that has been hit 100+ times. Between you and me? He may despise pain, and can't wait to get that contract signed so can go into full avoid hit mode.  Going further, those experienced guys are much more set in their ways, for better or for worse. If Jay wants to tweak Dwaynes footwork, no problem, for he only has minimal footwork that his mind is already bound to.

Getting a young QB without the book fully written on him, may not be a bad thing.

giphy.gif

I know we are getting close to preseason cause im starting to have day dreams of Haskins being the next Ben Rothlesburger too but some of you guys need to cool it and lower expectations just a bit. No matter how many twitter posts you throw up of Haskins saving puppys and benching 400 lbs with his shirt off he i still going to be a rookie at the end of the day. Lets give this kid time to grow. I'll be his toughest critic and i expect flashes of brilliance the same way Baker Mayfield & Mitchell Trubisky did their rookie years but I'm also expecting some subpar games where he will do some really dumb ****. Lets keep everything in reality fella's. 

9 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

No matter how many twitter posts you throw up of Haskins saving puppys 

So now I have mental images of him throwing puppies from a burning building onto a fire fighters trampoline with perfect touch. Including atleast one back solder fade.

Thanks lol

From PFF today:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-examining-the-haskins-to-mclaurin-connection-ahead-of-washingtons-2019-season

Dwayne_Haskins_to_Terry_McLaurin-1024x57

McLaurin may not have been Haskins’ most productive receiver, but the pair were extremely efficient when working together. In total, Haskins targeted McLaurin 50 times throughout his career, which resulted in 36 receptions for 696 yards and 10 touchdowns. When targeting McLaurin, Haskins had a passer rating of 153.8, which is better than any other connection that Haskins shared with his teammates.

In addition, not only did the Haskins-to-McLaurin connection have the best passer rating at Ohio State last season, but they also generated the second-best rating of the PFF College era (2014-present), trailing only Josh Rosenand Jordan Lasley (157.1).

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

You know what may be good about his lack of collegiate snaps. Someone already touched on it but it bears repeating, but there is a chance his lack of snaps scared other teams away, dropping a future gem to us at 15.

That had no bearing on Murray or Trubisky a couple years back. I think scouts don’t need an extensive body of work to get an impression. Most schools these teams play are so fourth rate that they’re automatically discounted so really they’re just getting opinions formed on a handful of games at most.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

From PFF today:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-examining-the-haskins-to-mclaurin-connection-ahead-of-washingtons-2019-season

In addition, not only did the Haskins-to-McLaurin connection have the best passer rating at Ohio State last season, but they also generated the second-best rating of the PFF College era (2014-present), trailing only Josh Rosenand Jordan Lasley (157.1).

Imagine if we had traded for Rosen & picked up Lasley... really makes ya think. Lasley is only a few miles up the road... tantalizingly close to 1/2 of the #1 duo.

Came here from the Monday presser Quotes thread but wanted to post somewhere with more eyes, where the QB talk is more significant. 

Idk if the statute of limitations on avoiding RG3 chatter is over. Feels like it should be, I think we're all over it and have similar understandings of his shortcomings as a prospect outside the context of everything that happened here. And the excitement/hope Haskins generates here is really only comparable to RG3 in the last few decades, so the comparisons are naturally going to happen. 

Griffin was a freak of nature (but built like a toothpick, of course) with an effortless rocket arm. Haskens is a more natural thrower of the ball imo in terms of feel in the pocket, ball placement, etc. But that's not what I want to talk about. Just wanted to quickly acknowledge that ignoring raw athleticism, both had/have aspects of their ability as a passer to get excited about, for different reasons. I'm not here to pretend Griffin was a terrible prospect who was basically a RB with an arm...that would be rewriting history, he was an exciting and worthy prospect at the time. 

What I want to focus on is Haskins' continual pounding home of the point that reading the field, doing the correct thing with his eyes, and knowing the offense like a second language is the most important part of his learning curve...it's so refreshing. Griffin was explosive. He worked hard. I don't want to talk about personalities and hype and that stuff. Griffin obviously, especially as a bright-eyed rookie, tried his hardest to adapt to the NFL. I think we all agree that as a prospect Haskins seems to process things much faster and have a higher floor AND ceiling on the mental side of the game, which is where the true studs at QB shine. 

It's been a long, long time since I've suspected we might actually have someone that not only has natural QB1 passing traits, but also a high grade defense-dissecting computer processor in his skull. I never felt that way about RG3 and neither did even the most optimistic people here--we just hoped he'd be such a freak and threaten defenses in so many different ways that it wouldn't matter. 

But Haskins...he's the first QB we've had in my lifetime that I think could be special in the tape breakdown/weekly film prep/field general category. A guy like that who processes things quickly, sees patterns, and has the ability to attack weaknesses and place the ball in the optimal spot can raise the level of the playcalling. I'm not saying he's got Peyton Manning's brain or anything at this point...but that is a guy who, with a dead arm throwing ducks in a boring offense that only gave 15 different looks to a defense, managed to ravage the league with only his damn brain and some accuracy for almost two decades. Obviously he used to have an elite arm as well before the neck injury, but you guys get my point.  He made the offense and covered for lots of holes, not with groundbreaking schemes or playcalling, but just by always being one step ahead of opposing defenses and coaches and consistently, frustratingly (for defenses) delivering the ball to the right spot and systematically driving down the field. Brees of course is similar. Facing a human computer like that is just demoralizing to opponents because you can't win by being bigger, faster, stronger. You have to be more well-prepared and that was nearly impossible. Haskins isn't there obviously but he's much closer to that end of the spectrum as a prospect, mentally, than to Griffin. 

Add that to an arm that can make any throw on the field with touch and a body built to withstand NFL punishment...it's not something we've ever had here in my memory. 

I know he's a rookie. I'm not getting lost in the hype. I'm just excited to have a guy who isn't only talented physically--mentally, he could be a top guy at the position in the league with the right development. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's been a long, long time since I've suspected we might actually have someone that not only has natural QB1 passing traits, but also a high grade defense-dissecting computer processor in his skull. I never felt that way about RG3 and neither did even the most optimistic people here--we just hoped he'd be such a freak and threaten defenses in so many different ways that it wouldn't matter. 

But Haskins...he's the first QB we've had in my lifetime that I think could be special in the tape breakdown/weekly film prep/field general category. A guy like that who processes things quickly, sees patterns, and has the ability to attack weaknesses and place the ball in the optimal spot can raise the level of the playcalling. I'm not saying he's got Peyton Manning's brain or anything at this point...but that is a guy who, with a dead arm throwing ducks in a boring offense that only gave 15 different looks to a defense, managed to ravage the league with only his damn brain and some accuracy for almost two decades. Obviously he used to have an elite arm as well before the neck injury, but you guys get my point.  He made the offense and covered for lots of holes, not with groundbreaking schemes or playcalling, but just by always being one step ahead of opposing defenses and coaches and consistently, frustratingly (for defenses) delivering the ball to the right spot and systematically driving down the field. Brees of course is similar. Facing a human computer like that is just demoralizing to opponents because you can't win by being bigger, faster, stronger. You have to be more well-prepared and that was nearly impossible. Haskins isn't there obviously but he's much closer to that end of the spectrum as a prospect, mentally, than to Griffin. 

Good post.  I'd agree that Haskins is more prepared to read defenses and run an NFL offense than RG3 was.  But for me that's thanks to the benefit of hindsight. 

RG3 was  billed as a super smart dude at the time.   He did his film review stuff on NFL Network with Mooch among others and showcased his recall and ability to draw up plays.  And Mooch gushed.  His wonderlic score was about identical to Haskins' score.  Though I don't think the Wonderlic is the be all and end all.  RG3's hype back then easily eclipsed Haskins hype now.  Haskins though is easily the 2nd most hyped QB we've had.    

I recall Polian saying RG3 had the quickest release he's seen since Dan Marino.  RG3 had crazy numbers his senior year.  He was considered accurate as heck, had a bazooka of an arm including a great deep ball. And he had Michael Vick speed in the open field albeit without his elusiveness.   Film guru types like Greg Cosell was saying he was better than Luck.  Ditto Dungy and some others.  Polian said he was can't miss franchise QB.

I got some concerns about Haskins.  But the things I like specifically over RG3 is that he seems humbler and harder working.  I had no clue back then that RG3 didn't love to watch film.  But Shanny in his interviews has really hit that point home over the years.  Bruce Arians in his book about QBs really goes to town on the value of intense film review by saying that he doesn't care how talented the Qb is if doesn't study hard he isn't going to have a productive career because eventually defensive coordinators are going to figure them out and they will struggle to counter punch.    Haskins seems like a film prep hound and if so that should serve him well.   He's obviously built like a tank so I don't worry about him snapping in two the way I did with RG3.  

There is plenty to like in the soup as to Haskins.  I am cautious about it until I see it play out.  Draft geeks falling hard for top half of the first round QBs is an annual ritual.  

I am not saying i am immune to the hype.  I just bought my kid an Haskins jersey 😀 -- I just learned that NFL.com are running 25% off sale today for anyone interested in jerseys.   So hopefully Haskins ends up among the first round success stories.    If he does make it -- I read he would become the first Redskins first round success at Qb since the 1930s.  That's insane that we've struggled that much at drafting QBs. 

https://nypost.com/2018/04/13/nfl-draft-looking-back-at-the-cant-miss-qbs-who-missed/

You can have the first- or second-overall pick of the NFL draft and can envision him standing next to a gold bust in Canton, yet end up trying to explain why he was a Hall of Fame bust.

...Thirty-nine quarterbacks since 1993 have been drafted in the top 10. Of those, 15 were busts, four have been injury-prone, six have gotten to the Super Bowl, four others will have thrown at least 200 touchdown passes, one (Michael Vick) rushed for more than 6,000 yards, just two (Eli Manning and Peyton Manning) have won the Super Bowl (twice each). The jury is out on the seven others drafted since 2014.

...The Seahawks selected QB Rick Mirer second. Mirer was likened by Bill Walsh to Joe Montana.

“I feel Rick Mirer is the outstanding athlete of the draft,” Walsh said. “To me, he has Montana movement.”

..“Each one has the ingredients to be a top-level quarterback in this league,” Beathard said before the draft. “They’re both the kinds of guys that you look for. They aren’t clones, they are different. I don’t think that the upside of one is different.”

...“I’m tired of hearing about David Klingler,” Bengals coach Bruce Coslet said. “Why don’t you guys write about John Elway and Dan Marino? The story of this draft is we got Akili Smith and a lot of people had him No. 1 on their boards. I’m very pleased.”

The expansion Texans made David Carr (.597, 64-71) the first pick in 2002.

“This will be an historic moment for the franchise, and we believe we will be selecting a player in David that possesses all the qualities we are looking for in a player and a person,” Texans founder Bob McNair said.

“We have to have stability at the quarterback position, we just have to,” Lions President Matt Millen said. “It hasn’t been here since … fill in the blank.”

Carson Palmer was the first pick in 2003. Byron Leftwich (.579, 59-42) was the seventh.

“We’ve solved our quarterback position for the next 10 years,” Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver crowed.

In 2005, QB Alex Smith (.624, 183-96; 529-2,433-14 TDs rushing) was the first pick. QB Aaron Rodgers was 24th.

“Who’s more athletic and has more upside?” 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. “Yes, Alex.”

The Titans made Vince Young (.579, 46-51, 282-1,459-12 TDs rushing) the third pick in 2006.

“This guy is special,” GM Floyd Reese said. “Now we have to get him special in the NFL, and that’s why it’s going to take a little bit of time.”

Matt Leinart (.571, 15-21) was picked 10th by the Cardinals.

“A gift from heaven,” coach Dennis Green said.

In 2007, QB JaMarcus Russell (.521, 18-23) was the first pick.

“It became a no-brainer,” Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said. “He is a winner. He is dedicated.”

...The Jets traded up to draft Mark Sanchez (.567, 86-86) with the fifth pick in 2009.

“We felt really good about Mark, what he did on the field and off the field,” GM Mike Tannenbaum said.

...“[Gabbert has] got the height, weight, speed, arm strength and the mental ability, so we feel like he’s got ascending ability for a quarterback,″” Jags GM Gene Smith said.

...QB Christian Ponder (.598, 38-36) was the 12th pick, with Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman calling Ponder’s selection “a no-brainer.”

...Ryan Tannehill (.627, 106-66, 216-1,065-6 TDs rushing) was No. 8 — ahead of Luke Kuechly and Fletcher Cox.

Said Dolphins owner Stephen Ross: “I always said once we can identify a franchise quarterback, let’s go get him. And I think that’s what we found.”

The Jaguars made Blake Bortles (.591, 90-64)

...“It’s such an important position in this league and you want to do it right,” GM David Caldwell said. “We can’t just throw him out there. We’ve seen what happens when that happens.”

The problem with predicting how QBs will fare is that so much of it is dependent on the systems and the talent in place. More than any other position, the QBs strengths need to be best used within certain systems. A mobile QB for example won’t benefit from a bigger but less athletic OL than a traditional pocket passer will. I think for most part any first round QB can thrive if in the right place.

granted, some QBs like Jamarcus shot themselves in the foot but when you look at someone like David Carr, he could have thrived if he didn’t take 940 sacks and basically had his confidence destroyed.

Just now, Llevron said:

Can you do 2? The worst and the best? I won’t tell 

The PSU game is unsafe, I fear the wrath of the ES whenever I’m confronted with it — I still have ptsd from reading the responses to my thoughts on Will Grier.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I know we are getting close to preseason cause im starting to have day dreams of Haskins being the next Ben Rothlesburger too but some of you guys need to cool it and lower expectations just a bit. No matter how many twitter posts you throw up of Haskins saving puppys and benching 400 lbs with his shirt off he i still going to be a rookie at the end of the day. Lets give this kid time to grow. I'll be his toughest critic and i expect flashes of brilliance the same way Baker Mayfield & Mitchell Trubisky did their rookie years but I'm also expecting some subpar games where he will do some really dumb ****. Lets keep everything in reality fella's. 

I agree we need to be patient w DH but if he is anything like big Ben than I’ll take it. Remember Pittsburgh was 15-1 and Ben was 13-0 as the starter in his rookie year. Tommy Maddox started that year with Charlie Batch as the backup. Can you say Case and Colt? When Maddox got hurt Ben took over after the 2nd game eventually winning the superbowl in his 2nd year. I see some similarities between us and the Steelers who were 6-10 the year before they drafted Ben. 

Both DH and Ben have some similarities too. While DH has been knocked for only playing one season at Ohio State, Ben played at a small school in Miami of Ohio. They both have similar stature, strong arms and not very quick. Ben learned to move around the pocket effectively so hopefully DH can do the same. 

We don’t need DH to be Patrick Mahomes, we just need him to be clutch. I really believe our defense will keep us in most games and if we can control the ball with Derius and AP, we just might be able to have a great year. You can call Ben an a$$ for some his antics especially early in his career but the guy has really been a franchise qb. History tends to repeat itself so maybe just maybe we are the 2004 Pittsburgh Steelers reincarnated. 🤞

Archived