Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

43 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Did Haskins flag you on the bus during middle school?

Members of his generation aren’t allowed to bully. They need to be coddled and given participation trophies. Kind of like what many are doing with him in this thread. The dude played like complete trash with a game plan designed not to embarrass him without even trying to be competitive or contest the game. Not that he could succeed, but not even letting him try in order to save him from embarrassment from his own worthlessness. Yet you guys are calling it growth. It’s so beyond pathetic and such a repeat of Jason Campbell it’s sickening. 

@Alcoholic Zebra I’m seeing that play the same way man.  Harmon and the back were no-go’s, unless he wants to wait on them.  There’s no way those are the first reads.  
Two things I’ll add... 1) it looks to me like he’s checking the inside linebacker before shifting over to Terry.  If I’m right, good move on his part.  I would look a little to the right of the linebacker to pull him out of the passing lane to McClaurin... which Dwayne may be doing, I can’t tell.  At a minimum, looking at the ILB can help freeze him there instead of drifting left into the pass lane.  
2) the corner made a nice read/react on Hentges.  If he was a beat or two later (like if he followed Terry a second more, as you said), Hentges has a bit of room to operate, plus momentum to lay into the corner or a carry the angle to the sideline for some RAC.  

He did have a window to Terry (and he has the arm to get it there quickly), but I’d be afraid of the hit he might have taken.  Or the ILB might have interfered with the pass.  As you said, 1st drive, take what they give you. 

If you’ve gone through the game, I’d be curious if what you saw matches up with the pseudo-breakdown I posted a couple pages back.  

31 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Members of his generation aren’t allowed to bully. 

Are you one of those boomers that's never heard of cyber bullying?  Anyway, your agenda is clear, if this hate towards Haskins is your coping mechanism, have fun with that.

42 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Members of his generation aren’t allowed to bully. They need to be coddled and given participation trophies. Kind of like what many are doing with him in this thread. The dude played like complete trash with a game plan designed not to embarrass him without even trying to be competitive or contest the game. Not that he could succeed, but not even letting him try in order to save him from embarrassment from his own worthlessness. Yet you guys are calling it growth. It’s so beyond pathetic and such a repeat of Jason Campbell it’s sickening. 

You are a little old to be writing this trash on the daily. Please, just stop. 

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Are you one of those boomers that's never heard of cyber bullying?  Anyway, your agenda is clear, if this hate towards Haskins is your coping mechanism, have fun with that.

Not a boomer or the coddled generations. Gen X baby. We invented the tools that you can use to cyber bully! You’re welcome!

Plus we don’t call it “cyber bullying” we call it communication. 

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Alcoholic Zebra Two things I’ll add... 1) it looks to me like he’s checking the inside linebacker before shifting over to Terry.  If I’m right, good move on his part.  I would look a little to the right of the linebacker to pull him out of the passing lane to McClaurin... which Dwayne may be doing, I can’t tell.  At a minimum, looking at the ILB can help freeze him there instead of drifting left into the pass lane. 

You could be right, I was trying to go by frames (in a very poor manner pause-start-pause-start-etc), and it was hard to tell exactly what/where he was looking at.

22 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Alcoholic Zebra 

If you’ve gone through the game, I’d be curious if what you saw matches up with the pseudo-breakdown I posted a couple pages back.  

I went through the cutup and posted some general o-line thoughts in the 2020 draft thread, about if from those pass-blocking cutups, it looked like we needed to draft OL high.  Haven't looked the rest of the offense as a whole, as that already took too much time.

The o-line as a whole, was better than I thought.  From a draft perspective, the issues with Penn aren't bad because Geron Christian looked good when he replaced him.  Jamal Adams is somehow amazing as a blitzer.  Jets dialed up some blitzes that really put the protection into a bind, and as the game went on, the blitzes were handled a bit better.  I'd like to reiterate how good Jamal Adams is.  You send most safeties on some of those blitzes, and nothing happens, but Adams found ways to get in on the action.

I don't know why Bergstrom is the 6th OL, he's a detriment.  Haskins had one awkward play where he basically sacked himself, not going to blame the O-Line much for that.  But Haskins also got himself out of trouble from the Jets blitzes a few times, so I don't really feel like knocking his pocket presence much either.

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Not a boomer or the coddled generations. Gen X baby. We invented the tools that you can use to cyber bully! You’re welcome!

I hope this isnt your way of trying to be fun.  You should look into what that is today.

35 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I am old enough to remember your Jason Campbell apologist whining agenda. Apparently you have a new QB crush now...

Eh, Jason Campbell was a game manager qb that could win in this league with the right pieces. Not a world beater, but he was solid and professional. I don’t believe I’ve mentioned him in a decade though. 

Im optimistic about Haskins, and will leave it at that. If you recall during the draft threads, I argued for Will Grier, not Haskins. I may have been wrong in that regard. 

socal is on a week long hiatus for multiple rule 5 (gratuitously insulting) and 12 (trolling) violations and it easily could have been a permanent ban, so don't expect replies from him till he's back

btw, i think haskins can likely be a pretty good qb, but prob not here at the black hole 

RUN DWAYNE!!!!! GET OUT!!!!!!

I think it goes without saying any QB would do better here with Jordan and Vern at full health. No offense but Sprinkle seems... raw. I never see him on any fantasy rankings even with Case at the helm. 

Hindsight alert maybe it would have been wise to retain Preston and get a real DC, and draft a TE over Montez. That's assuming Preston wanted to stay here, which I am sure he didn't. Or use our 2020 2nd on a TE. 

A TE is a QBs best friend and it sucks Dwayne missed out on our stud TEs this year.

I really hated watching Jason Campbell play football, and I can't say I thought much of his supporters back then.

Having said that, it's a bit early to be casting Haskins as his next coming.

It's his rookie year. If he still looks like this in year 3, then sure....Jason Campbell him all you want. He may very well turn out similiarly, given the inherent flaws in the management structure of this clown show of a franchise.

I seriously won't even be surprised if the next advent of Jim Zorn is brought in, at this point. Not much anyone can do about it though.

Just gotta keep it medium and 'cheer for' (laugh at) the maroon and black....or yellow.

(Or become a fan of a normally run football franchise, I sure do wish I could).

:)

16 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Must be one of the 1960's Gen X'ers...

22 hours ago, Jumbo said:

btw, i think haskins can likely be a pretty good qb, but prob not here at the black hole 

RUN DWAYNE!!!!! GET OUT!!!!!!

If Haskins has the goods he can show us some flashes this year and then start 16 games and help the team get to .500 next year.  Cousins was able to do that so I think that is a reasonable standard for Haskins.  It is unreasonable to judge Haskins too quickly but also unreasonable to expect too little in the second year.  Show some progress this year and next year improve enough to help the team play .500 ball.  Let's hope he can do that and we move on to criticizing  Snyder and Allen about other things.

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I really want Haskins to play great between now and the end of the season.

I also really want us to lose every game and be picking 1 or 2 in the draft.

Not much to ask for is it?

That would be ideal for me too. He plays well enough, or at least improves over the rest of the season enough, to show us that he can be the guy. But he's not good enough (yet) to overcome such a dearth of talent on the offense and such a bad defense/scheme. So in the end we can tell he can be a really good QB for us going forward if we get more talent around him over the next couple years, and at the same time have a high enough draft pick to get Chase Young. 

With no stats as backup it seems like Callahan doesn't want to let Haskins throw deep.  

The deep one to TMC seemed off script and I don't recall any others. They say the deep guys are supposed to come back on scrambles.  Maybe TMC knows he can head deep with the gun Haskins has.

I feel we should sacrifice an AP run up the middle early in the game, and stretch out some DBs hammies on a deep shot.  On a 2nd and 2 roll out a 6OL, but run a flea or some play that buys time. Maybe the Manning stretch wide fake handoff.  It seems unthinkable that Callahan would run such radical plays of course, as he seems stuck in 1992.

IIRC Indy's offense was simple. I am surprised more teams don't try to emulate some of those concepts more for the greenhorn QBs.  Or crap OLs that cannot get pass pro vs 4 rushers down pat.

23 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

The deep one to TMC seemed off script and I don't recall any others. They say the deep guys are supposed to come back on scrambles.  Maybe TMC knows he can head deep with the gun Haskins has.

I don't know when but Haskins said that they deemed before the play that it was going deep to TMac. 

Its interesting because in some sense its kinda like the fundamentals vs getting the ball there thing. There's this thing about "the right reads" on plays vs getting the ball to guys. I'm not trying to focus on the first part and more on just that he was getting the ball to a lot of different guys who could make a play on the ball. I think about that and say that I think as he got more comfortable against Williams's defense (noticing that its just a confusing cover 2 look) he was taking more shots to middle and deeper portions of the field. But I like that he wasn't looking like a normal rookie and forcing it - he was a lot more likely to throw to a checkdown guy than trying to force a ball. Given the deep ball to TMac that counted was probably a forced ball. 

I really wonder about the conversation he had with KOC because according to people like Hoffman there were options available for big plays to open WRs but he checked down to other guys. So maybe its a thing where his definition of open is not the same as KOCs. Wasn't the knock on him coming out that his guys were ALWAYS open? But he has the arm to throw it into tight windows, so I'm eager to see him develop this part of his game. And not to mention possible jitters on the short stuff being thrown too hard. 

On 11/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, SoCalSkins said:

Somewhat dubious. Gen Xers are tagged starting around 1964 (through 1980), and certainly not earlier than 1962.  

The World Wide Web (Compuserve, AOL) as we know it today became mainstream starting in late 1994.  So if we're being generous and attribute 1962 births under Gen X, and the creators were no older than 33 or so. 

And I can surely state as a pigeon gets web toed that the workmen behind the early internet were quite older men.  Easily Boomers and probably a great deal pre-Boom, tbh. 

13 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

With no stats as backup it seems like Callahan doesn't want to let Haskins throw deep.  

I feel we should sacrifice an AP run up the middle early in the game, and stretch out some DBs hammies on a deep shot.  On a 2nd and 2 roll out a 6OL, but run a flea or some play that buys time. Maybe the Manning stretch wide fake handoff.  It seems unthinkable that Callahan would run such radical plays of course, as he seems stuck in 1992.

IIRC Indy's offense was simple. I am surprised more teams don't try to emulate some of those concepts more for the greenhorn QBs.  Or crap OLs that cannot get pass pro vs 4 rushers down pat.

Couple things... the deep ball to Terry on Haskins scramble was in fact a deep route.  I believe it was a corner route, but could have been a go that Terry (and Haskins’ throw) carried away from the inside leverage of the defenders.  
By my count, roughly a third of the pass plays through the first 3 quarters had one or more receivers going deep.  This includes a couple plays in which 3 or 4 went deep.  By deep, I’m not talking 15+ yards, but 30+ - mainly posts and go routes.  This number includes screen plays and the 3 pass plays around the Jets red zone... so actually it’s probably more like ~ 50%.  
Now I’ve got a couple of caveats here.  One, I don’t know how many of those deep routes were decoys or plays in which the deep runner was the last read or some such.  Two, I think Haskins was facing enough pressure - both pass pressure and pressure to sustain drives - that he didn’t look to some of those deep routes.  
I do believe there were times that he maybe rushed his decision making and was either turning down the deep shots, or going with the quicker routes.  Again, as a rookie facing the pressure he did, I’m not surprised he wasn’t always as patient as he maybe could have been.  
To be clear, that’s just what I (a random dude rewatching the game) am seeing.  I’m also not suggesting you’re wrong about Callahan not wanting Haskins to go deep, that Callahan isn’t anachronistic, or that the offense couldn’t be simplified for Haskins.  
On that last point, I did like hearing O’Connell talking about utilizing plays Haskins is comfortable with and O’Connell heeding Dwayne when he came to him during the Jets game (can’t remember what O’Connell said exactly, but I believe it was about Haskins wanting to be more aggressive).  Those aren’t (in my mind) necessarily the same as simplifying the offense though... ie. using 50 or 75% of a complex offense is still running a complex offense.  

I need to see Haskins put up some numbers today against Detroit.  300 yards and 2 touchdowns.  Detroit is near the bottom for pass defense.  If it doesn't happen today it won't this season.  Our remaining schedule is brutal.  We haven't seen rock bottom Haskins yet (at Green Bay, yikes).  But I won't too worried if he plays well today.  

Archived