Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I mean, if we didn't do stupid **** at just the wrong time, we wouldn't be the Washington Capitals.. Was hoping we could steal one with so many rusty players. Almost.. Ran out of gas in the 3rd, again. Top 6 playing with leg weights on. Thought Sammy played great, for just about the whole game. lol 

8 hours ago, Simmsy said:

This team isn't going anywhere.

Disagree they are definitely going somewhere.  They’ll be going to the golf course shortly if they keep this up. 

7 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Samsonov was the only reason we were in this game. Offense did absolutely nothing for about 60 minutes. Disappointed the way Ovie reacted towards Samsonov after the OTGWG

Considering the team has been doing this for over a decade and he always takes the blame or ends up the butt of jokes I can’t blame him for being pissed that another signature Capital playoff mental breakdown moment cost them a game

11 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I'm so glad we were totally set with our blue line and didn't attempt to upgrade at the deadline.  Its not like their miscues haven't cost us two games. 

Dillon (with the brain fart in Game 2) is one of our top-4 guys.  So we could've picked up Victor Hedman and Roman Josi, and Dillon still would dress for us.

Regarding Schultz (brain fart in Game 3), just curious which defenseman who was dealt at the deadline would you consider to be an upgrade?

People getting bothered by Ovechkin's reaction are ****ing snowflakes. (with the exception of anyone posting here) He yelled at a rookie. So ****ing what? Tom Brady yells at his players all the time. MJ anyone? I mean, come on.  

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 5

Yeah **** Samsonov for that.  I'd be pissed too.  Dude is out partying and **** being put on rona protocol multiple times being a ****ing idiot, losing time with his team which is invaluable to build rapport and chemistry, and then a miscommunication like this happens to cost you the game.

I'd be pissed at you if you if you were on the Caps and NOT pissed off about the whole situation.

• Like 1

I read that ovi yelled at Sammy to “don’t sleep” and “stay in your net”. 

To me it is a little upsetting for Ovi to talk to Sammy like that. We are going to need him the rest of this series and I’m not sure that type of thing does anything to help his confidence. I mean he kept us in it up until that dumb play at the end. Maybe if the team could score and hold a lead he wouldn’t have been in that situation in the first place. 

staying optimistic - except for OT and 2OT last night, i still feel like we've been the better team so far. and thats with all the injuries (eller, oshie, VV, etc), guys playing cold (kuz, sam), and our top guys not doing much (backy & tom were pretty bad last night), ovi has been pretty quiet aside from his one goal).

sounds like eller is back, kuz & sam should now be warmed up, and the top guys better be fired up now. the 2nd half of the series is ours for the taking

• Like 1

I can easily see a 4th OT game in Game 4 and probably a loss.  This team hasn't been able to finish any of their games.  The goalie situation has been a mess before the season started when Lundqvist went down.  Ovie's impact has been marginal.  Mantha has done nothing that warranted that huge trade.  This team doesn't resemble the one that won it all in 2018.  

Edited by SAli457180

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

I can easily see a 4th OT game in Game 4 and probably a loss.  This team hasn't been able to finish any of their games.  The goalie situation has been a mess before the season started when Lundqvist went down.  Ovie's impact has been marginal.  Mantha has done nothing that warranted that huge trade.  This team doesn't resemble the one that one it all in 2018.  

“One” it all?

11 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

I can easily see a 4th OT game in Game 4 and probably a loss.  This team hasn't been able to finish any of their games.  The goalie situation has been a mess before the season started when Lundqvist went down.  Ovie's impact has been marginal.  Mantha has done nothing that warranted that huge trade.  This team doesn't resemble the one that won it all in 2018.  

The team that won it all was also down 2-1 in the 1st Round of 2018.  Mantha has been all over the ice for 3 games - his shots just haven't been going in.  Ovi has been fine, and he's due for a breakout game.  The goalies have been fine too - they helped carry this team to second place in the toughest division in hockey, and they're not the reason we're down in this series (and you do realize Lundqvist was never intended to be more than a backup, right?).  No offense, but have you been watching the games, or just seeing the highlights and reading the box scores?

15 hours ago, max21 said:

It’s painful being a fan of this team

I've been a Caps fan since the mid-80s and have seen every one of their playoff meltdowns in person at Capital Centre/MCI, Verizon, Capital One Arena, and even a few on the road.  I get this sentiment.  But come on dude, they just won the Cup 3 years ago.  Are we really already back to saying this again?  All because we're down 2-1 to a good team, in a series everyone picked to go 6 or 7 games?

• Like 1

Caps are only down 2-1 cause their defense has two terrible plays in game 2. This is a team, the Caps, that haven't had their regular lineup for a game yet and they are very much in the series.

As far as Mantha goes, it's on him to actually score goals. It's fine that he's skating well and all over the ice, but he needs to put one in the back of the net. Vrana did have some timely goals for the Caps in the past. The rest of the top-6 need to get it going as well. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

The team that won it all was also down 2-1 in the 1st Round of 2018.  Mantha has been all over the ice for 3 games - his shots just haven't been going in.  Ovi has been fine, and he's due for a breakout game.  The goalies have been fine too - they helped carry this team to second place in the toughest division in hockey, and they're not the reason we're down in this series (and you do realize Lundqvist was never intended to be more than a backup, right?).  No offense, but have you been watching the games, or just seeing the highlights and reading the box scores?

Relax dude.  I've watching the games beginning to end just like you and I'm calling it as I see it with this team.  This team is better than Boston, but they aren't playing like it.  Letting them hang around the last 2 games with the lead in the 3rd period and not finishing them off.  This team could easily be up 2-1 or better instead of down 2-1, but it's not showing on the ice.

Edited by SAli457180

6 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

I've been a Caps fan since the mid-80s and have seen every one of their playoff meltdowns in person at Capital Centre/MCI, Verizon, Capital One Arena, and even a few on the road.  I get this sentiment.  But come on dude, they just won the Cup 3 years ago.  Are we really already back to saying this again?  All because we're down 2-1 to a good team, in a series everyone picked to go 6 or 7 games?

Just a heat of the moment comment. I’ve seen all the meltdowns also, but also went to game 3 of the finals in 2018. Highs and lows. The top 6 needs to show up tonight, Mantha hopefully pots one tonight and the flood gates open for him. It would be incredibly disappointing to see them going out in the first round 3 years in a row. 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Was this a 6:30 start? Thought it was 7, and I started seeing game tweets. 

Yes. 6:30pm start today again. 

5 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

At least the announcers are being honest this time.

My home town announcers are always honest. :)