Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I'm not ready to anoint Samsonov as Goalie Of The Future over Vanacek just yet.  Yet to be seen that he can keep his head on straight off the ice.  I really hope he can.

Definitely keep the two of them next season. 

• Like 1

I think we can do one more season with the current core before looking to undertake a significant rebuild.  Assuming we can resign Ovi, they had a good season during a very strange year and under a first-year HC.  They hit the playoffs on a particularly weird stretch and got some bad injuries (plus Kuzy/Sammy being out) and exactly the wrong time.  Mantha looks like ****, but maybe he could be okay with a whole year under his belt.  Carly and Orly are in their primes.  Wilson gets better every year.  I think we owe it to Ovi and Backy, frankly.  

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

One of the failings of the GMBM area is developing young prospects. I think Samsonov is the only one right now but I'm open to being wrong. Vrana was a second one but...

That was by design.  McPhee was always keeping the roster young and focusing on in-house talent, and McClellen wanted to take what we had and add more from the outside to go all-in for win-now.  That approach both deprived us of some high picks to take young talent, and it saw veterans taking roster spots that could have been used to play the young talent we do have.  Right now, I think we've got a handful of young players looking for their opportunity to show what they can do at the NHL level.  Guys like McMichael, Leason, Protas, Fehervary, and Alexeyev.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

That was by design.  McPhee was always keeping the roster young and focusing on in-house talent, and McClellen wanted to take what we had and add more from the outside to go all-in for win-now.  That approach both deprived us of some high picks to take young talent, and it saw veterans taking roster spots that could have been used to play the young talent we do have.  Right now, I think we've got a handful of young players looking for their opportunity to show what they can do at the NHL level.  Guys like McMichael, Leason, Protas, Fehervary, and Alexeyev.

I get it for a few years but it’s 7 years in and it’s one player. 

The lack of puck control during our PP's is embarassing.

Then immediately after ours, Wilson makes one of the stupidest penalties of the season, and the Bruins are setup on their PP immediately and we're lucky to not be down right now.

• Like 2

Nope, they can't do ****.  I don't understand why their entry is so ****ing hard into the zone when they are up a man.  Other teams don't have this issue.

I would almost rather them NOT be on a power play because all they are doing is playing catch in their own zone the whole time.