Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

18 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Kuznetsov is a negative he cannot be on this team next year. He made them worse as soon as he got back into the lineup.

The expansion draft is our chance to actually have some room. Leave him and Oshie unprotected.

I'm sorry, but that would be a really bad move by the Caps. You don't give up assets like that simply for cap space. Kuzy and Oshie could pretty easily be traded. 

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not rebuild. Retool.

But if Ovi walks for whatever reason, mass fire sale and rebuild.

100% correct. If Ovi goes, everyone over 30 is available. 

26 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Generally agree with you guys on this, although if Ovi goes you're talking about an assload of salary cap space.  I haven't even kept up with what UFAs are out there, but with $9 million they could definitely get some immediate help.  I have no doubt ownership would prefer to bring in one or two big names to soften the blow of their franchise legend leaving, to help keep this team's championship window open, and of course to keep selling out the arena.

Forget who it was but I heard him talking on the radio yesterday and he was saying don't be surprised if Ovi isn't locked up and isn't protected before the supplemental draft.  He said the Kraken won't pick him because he's a free agent and if they pick him he can still sign with the Caps after, so it would basically be a wasted pick.  It's a way that the Caps can protect an extra person basically by not protecting Ovi.

He also said that Ovi will be back 100% next year based on everything he's heard so don't sweat it that he's not being signed immediately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Kuznetsov is a negative he cannot be on this team next year. He made them worse as soon as he got back into the lineup.

this is a good point and covers some of my question about what happened in the later games of the series, when they looked much worse than the first couple of games. As soon as kuz came back, our offense went completely flat. its not just 1 person, but that definitely was a factor

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Replacing Ovi with 9 mil worth of free agents would not make this team a contender.

9 mil, in a year where the cap will likely not go up much (if at all) would be enough to compete for the best FA on the market, or two very solid players.  The Chara and Lundqvist signings show that players want to come here.  Not saying it would make them a contender, but I could see how management and ownership would think so.

But it's all a moot point anyways.  Ovi is way too invested in the community and the team to leave on such a low note without having the sendoff he's earned.  At the very least, he'll be back for 1 or 2 more years, hopefully longer.  

4 hours ago, Hersh said:

I'm sorry, but that would be a really bad move by the Caps. You don't give up assets like that simply for cap space. Kuzy and Oshie could pretty easily be traded. 

You assume anyone will take those contracts on without a fleecing. I'd definitely love to trade Kuznetsov but his value right now is so low.

1 minute ago, Sticksboi05 said:

You assume anyone will take those contracts on without a fleecing. I'd definitely love to trade Kuznetsov but his value right now is so low.

Oshie put up 22 goals and 21 assists this season. Either a team in win now mode or with a young team that needs a veteran leader would love a guy like that. I would wait on Kuzy too but if they tried to move him, teams would be interested because he's a top-6 forward with great skill and is still relatively young. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Forget who it was but I heard him talking on the radio yesterday and he was saying don't be surprised if Ovi isn't locked up and isn't protected before the supplemental draft.  He said the Kraken won't pick him because he's a free agent and if they pick him he can still sign with the Caps after, so it would basically be a wasted pick.  It's a way that the Caps can protect an extra person basically by not protecting Ovi.

He also said that Ovi will be back 100% next year based on everything he's heard so don't sweat it that he's not being signed immediately.

100% correct. This will be the case for a lot of FA this season. Kraken can't pick UFA or RFAs. I think Samsonov is a RFA so the Caps won't sign him before the expansion draft. 

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I read a tweet a little while ago that said Z is going to talk things over with his family before he makes a decision on a return. 

If he comes back, another veteran needs to go. This team has got to play younger defensemen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Oshie said he doesn't want to go to Seattle.  ❤️

I don't see any reason to let Oshie potentially go to Seattle. He's not the reason the Caps struggled in the playoffs. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

If he comes back, another veteran needs to go. This team has got to play younger defensemen. 

I don't expect Z to return next season,  but honestly he changed my opinion, from thinking he was a bum in Boston, to actually paying attention to how well he can play at times, especially on PK, my hat's off to Z, thought he came in and did an excellent job for the Capitals this season , and if he goes in the HOF,

I will have a better appreciation of his career now 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, c slag said:

I don't expect Z to return next season,  but honestly he changed my opinion, from thinking he was a bum in Boston, to actually paying attention to how well he can play at times, especially on PK, my hat's off to Z, thought he came in and did an excellent job for the Capitals this season , and if he goes in the HOF,

I will have a better appreciation of his career now 

He did a really good job for the Caps. Would rather have him than Dillon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Ovie

Backstrom

Wilson

Mantha

Kuzy

Oshie

Carlson

Orlov

Samsonov

I assume that’s who’s protected. And perhaps one more with Ovie’s contract ending.

Even if we count Ovechkin as needing to be protected, we can do more.  You seem to be using the 8-of-any-skater method rather than the 7F, 3D, 1G.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Wilson, Mantha, Kuznetsov, Eller
Carlson, Orlov, Jensen

On 5/25/2021 at 11:52 AM, purbeast said:

So a team can put a FA on the unprotected list?  You sure about that?  That hardly seems fair to the expansion team.