Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

20th anniversary of 9/11/01 on Saturday- Your memories.

88Comrade2000

On 9/11/2019 at 2:44 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Jesus H tapdancing Christ.  

I've been embroiled in a text message debate with my mother for most of the day and it's absolutely infuriating.  She texted me to remind me that today was 9/11, to never forget, etc.  Which I told her, of course, who could forget?  And she just wanted to "make sure" because there are people out there that are "dangerous" who are "ignoring and forgetting today."

Which is the biggest steaming load of **** I've smelled in a long time.  And I just couldn't resist.  

So I asked her to prove it.  Find me people that aren't remembering and ignoring today.  And I just kept hammering away on her that it's a dumbass Fox News/conservative talk radio narrative that doesn't exist to get people exactly like her (old) riled up.  

The beautiful thing about texting with older people is that you can just berate them quickly since you can text quicker than them.  Before she knew it and could reply, I'd sent her screen caps of tweets of 9/11 rememberance from AOC, Ilhan Omar, Hillary and Obama, the goddamn Mount Rushmore of liberal boogeymen.

So I challenged her, I told her I'd buy her dinner at her favorite restaurant Friday night if she could find one person that wasn't remembering today.  15 minutes later she's comes back and has looked up every Mosque in a 10 mile radius with their websites/social media sites and everything that sure as hell don't have anything up about 9/11.  :rolleyes:  I then asked her where her tweets and social media remembrances were today, she said she didn't have to because we're having this conversation at which point I put my phone on Airplane mode and went back to work.  

Patriotic dick measuring by the conservatives is so f'ing annoying it's unbelievable.  It's spun off by these "news" organizations to make people think they're more patriotic than others who aren't tuning into their channel and no one has to lift a finger.  Because Sean Hannity looks into the camera and says you're a great American for tuning into his nightly propaganda machine, you believe him and think you're more patriotic than someone else and didn't have to lift a finger to do anything for it.  

I'm watching NBC this morning, one of the biggest of the  "MSM".  They are showing nothing but 9/11 coverage. You may want to point this out to mom.  

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm watching NBC this morning, one of the biggest of the  "MSM".  They are showing nothing but 9/11 coverage. You may want to point this out to mom.  

As they have for the previous 19 years.  I just can't today, I want to stay in my good mood about tomorrow.  I'm staying off the news today. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I was a junior in high school. I was sitting in my math class and someone (probably an assistant principal I assume) called our teacher out into the hall. A minute later she came back in with her eyes watery clearly trying not to cry and told us a plane had crashed into the twin towers. We were all shocked and confused, but she was clearly very shaken.

For whatever reason, a TV was wheeled into the classroom and we just watched the events unfold. There was a distant but loud boom outside that made all of us jump, and a few minutes later they reported the attack on the Pentagon. My high school was seven or eight miles from the Pentagon so I can't say for sure whether it was the impact, but the timing was exactly right.

In every class the rest of the day we just watched CNN and tried to process what was happening.

I was in my office in Largo working on a proposal. The managers came around and we all gathered in the conference room with the TV. It was awful, then the plane flew into the Pentagon. The office closed at noon. I called my GF at the time and went to her house until my daughter was on her way home from Edgewater where she worked.  For months after armed soldiers in helicopters with open bays patrolled the Wilson bridge that I crossed twice a day to go to work in Maryland. The fires and smoke from the Pentagon was visible all that week. I lived near Mt. Vernon, and it reminded me of seeing the riot smoke from DC when MLK was killed. 

I was happy when we invaded Afghanistan because it seemed as if we weren't going to let the attack on 9/11 slide. I was incensed when we invaded Iraq because why? I was happy when Bin Laden was killed and thought we'd leave Afghanistan then. I'm happy we're out now. I think the money saved from being in Afghanistan, $300 million/day, should be redirected to Social Security and Medicare. 

I was 19.  I arrived at my first duty station, Pope Air Force Base, September 10th, 2001.  Being on a military base as the 9/11 attacks were actively happening was some scary ****.  I was just a kid.  I don't even really like talking about it. But seeing all the chaos on base that day is when it first hit me that I was part of something much bigger than myself.  

My mom worked at 17th & I, like three blocks from the White House.  When I heard the Pentagon was hit, I panicked that the WH could be hit and she was right down the street.  Phones were down for hours so it wasn't until that evening when she got home that I was able to speak with her.  Not sure if it was the instant relief knowing she was safe, or just "the sound of mom's voice" after the darkest day in American history, but I ****ing lost it.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I hadn’t realized that many people jumped.

I teared up a bit when I read about the little girl who was looking at the people jumping to their deaths and her mom trying to comfort her by saying they were birds, trying to protect the innocence her daughter already lost.

Maybe it's because I have a fear of heights and a pretty healthy case of vertigo but the horror of watching those people jumping, some holding hands and the descriptions of those on the ground hearing the bodies impacting the street are etched in my memory. It's unbelievable to think about those folks going to work thinking that the barista getting their coffee order wrong was the biggest concern they'd have, only a few hours later to be making the choice of jumping or burning to death. It's the primary thing I remember about 9/11 and it's one of those things I wish I could un-see, but still can't.

I was working at Arlington Hospital at the time and was at home sleeping off a night shift when it happened. When I finally woke up to the phone ringing, maybe about 11:00, it was my ex-wife telling me about what was going on. I switched on the TV and saw the replaying of the buildings burning and the planes hitting them and she kept telling me they were gone and I simply couldn't believe it. Once I heard about the crash at the Pentagon, I immediately threw on my scrubs because I was expecting the hospital to call us in. When hours went by with no call, I realized there weren't enough survivors for extra staff to be needed. As that realization sank in, it was a real kick in the stomach.

I was scheduled to work that night so I went in and it was like a tomb in the Respiratory Therapy office. I did my rounds and some of the patients were from the Pentagon. As a Muslim at the time, I just felt so incredibly guilty and embarrassed to walk into those patients' rooms and introduce myself as Yusuf. At the time, I just knew they were looking at me wondering if I harbored similar thoughts as the people that did it. 9/11 marked the beginning of the end for my religious beliefs.

I was dating my wife back then and on the first day flights were allowed, she had to fly to Sweden for a business trip. I drove down to Atlanta to surprise her with a marriage proposal before she left. Even though the ring I ordered for her was stuck in transit somewhere and I had to use a picture instead, if anything happened, I wanted her to know how I felt about her.

Though it was the beginning of the end of my belief in a god, it was also the beginning of a new appreciation of life for me. I suffer from bouts of depression and whenever I'm having a bad time, I always think about the loss of life that happened as a result of 9/11.  The life experiences missed by the people that died that day and the innocent civilians we've killed in the aftermath (which dwarfs our number of dead) makes me grateful for all the little things in life we sometimes take for granted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was at a business seminar at the Key Bridge Marriott.  The organizers came in and interrupted and told us what what going on, and then they rolled in a TV on a cart and we all watched in horror as the towers cam down.  I recall the fighter jets flying overhead as we later sat outside in the courtyard.  Then watching as people in DC walked home across the Key Bridge because transportation was shut down.

• Like 1

I was 17 and stayed home sick that day (don't remember if I was really sick or not) and I had the TV in my room as I slept in my bed. I had my back to the tv and was under the covers when I heard about a plan hitting the WTC. I remember saying "that sucks" out loud and going back to sleep. When I woke up again the 2nd plane had just hit and thats when I realized something was wrong. The phone started ringing off the hook and everyone was calling me to see if I was ok (I was home alone), I then went online to find out what was going on. After about 5 hours, I couldn't reconnect to the internet or use the phone. I don't remember being particularly scared, it was just a very surreal moment.

7 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What sucks was that the Bush administration used 9/11 to go into Iraq.

So many mistakes were made after 9/11 that we are still paying for those mistakes today.

I haven't finished it yet, but the 9/11 documentary series on Netflix is good.  It certainly covers the events that happened on 9/11 end to end, but it also gives a background of why they did it.  I've just gotten into the retaliation part, the bombing of Afghanistan.  No Iraq yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What sucks was that the Bush administration used 9/11 to go into Iraq.

So many mistakes were made after 9/11 that we are still paying for those mistakes today.

I do wonder that even  if 9/11 was thwarted if we would have still found ourselves invading Iraq sometime between 2001-2004.  

59 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I haven't finished it yet, but the 9/11 documentary series on Netflix is good.  It certainly covers the events that happened on 9/11 end to end, but it also gives a background of why they did it.  I've just gotten into the retaliation part, the bombing of Afghanistan.  No Iraq yet.

Watching it now too

I was 18, fresh out of HS.  Woke up to my mom's blood curdling scream.  Both of my arms were completely asleep.  I ran to the back room, arms flopping around, and she was on the phone with my dad who was driving on work related duties.  I saw all the smoke on TV, saw the other tower, as she was simutaniously explaning to him that the first collapse had happened.

I saw the second one collapse live on TV...and when all planes were grounded, I immediately put in my favorite shooting video game...put it on EASY (which I never do) and went to ****ing town.

I had woke up late and was worried I would be late for work. Then I went into the livingroom and my (then) wife was just staring at the TV.

"Look at this...", and she pointed to the broadcast (we were in California so it was still early there).

It took a few moments to process what was happening. At first I just saw tons of smoke and basically told myself a plane had crashed in NYC. My wife said "This is nuts", I nodded and kept staring. Then we saw a 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower. My wife gasped, I shook my head. My wife had to continue getting our daughter ready for pre-school (she worked at the same private school that our daughter attended so that was nice). As I kept watching I remember hearing that a plane had crashed into the Pentagon. At that exact moment I processed what I was watching and said, out loud to no one, "We're being attacked."

I dropped off my wife and daughter, then drove to work. There was no music on any of the stations from what I remember. When I arrived at work, nobody was at their cubicles (industrial design firm)...I thought nobody had shown up. Then I looked up onto the 2nd floor where the conference room is. A bunch of my coworkers were huddled together watching the TV in there, so I joined them. The owner of the company said for everyone to go home, that no work is going to be done today. So after being there for 5 minutes I went back home. I really don't remember much of anything else from that day.

I was in my directors office in DC watching second plane hit the tower. The news flash that a plane just hit the Pentagon. My director turned and looked at me in shock as we both heard that there was another plane in the air.

When he turned back to the TV, I left immediately for the metro, and was getting off the metro rail in New Carrollton 20 minutes later. They they shut down Metro when I was stepping off the train.

Army Brats don’t stand looking around.

Edited by ClaytoAli

The Falling Man

An unforgettable story.

9-1568163169.jpg?resize=980:*

Do you remember this photograph? In the United States, people have taken pains to banish it from the record of September 11, 2001. The story behind it, though, and the search for the man pictured in it, are our most intimate connection to the horror of that day.

In the picture, he departs from this earth like an arrow. Although he has not chosen his fate, he appears to have, in his last instants of life, embraced it. If he were not falling, he might very well be flying. He appears relaxed, hurtling through the air. He appears comfortable in the grip of unimaginable motion. He does not appear intimidated by gravity's divine suction or by what awaits him. His arms are by his side, only slightly outriggered. His left leg is bent at the knee, almost casually. His white shirt, or jacket, or frock, is billowing free of his black pants. His black high-tops are still on his feet. In all the other pictures, the people who did what he did—who jumped—appear to be struggling against horrific discrepancies of scale. They are made puny by the backdrop of the towers, which loom like colossi, and then by the event itself. Some of them are shirtless; their shoes fly off as they flail and fall; they look confused, as though trying to swim down the side of a mountain. The man in the picture, by contrast, is perfectly vertical, and so is in accord with the lines of the buildings behind him. He splits them, bisects them: Everything to the left of him in the picture is the North Tower; everything to the right, the South. Though oblivious to the geometric balance he has achieved, he is the essential element in the creation of a new flag, a banner composed entirely of steel bars shining in the sun. Some people who look at the picture see stoicism, willpower, a portrait of resignation; others see something else—something discordant and therefore terrible: freedom. There is something almost rebellious in the man's posture, as though once faced with the inevitability of death, he decided to get on with it; as though he were a missile, a spear, bent on attaining his own end. He is, fifteen seconds past 9:41 a.m. EST, the moment the picture is taken, in the clutches of pure physics, accelerating at a rate of thirty-two feet per second squared. He will soon be traveling at upwards of 150 miles per hour, and he is upside down. In the picture, he is frozen; in his life outside the frame, he drops and keeps dropping until he disappears.

esq-9-11-stories-september-2003-01-of-11

The photographer is no stranger to history; he knows it is something that happens later. In the actual moment history is made, it is usually made in terror and confusion, and so it is up to people like him—paid witnesses—to have the presence of mind to attend to its manufacture. The photographer has that presence of mind and has had it since he was a young man. When he was twenty-one years old, he was standing right behind Bobby Kennedy when Bobby Kennedy was shot in the head. His jacket was spattered with Kennedy's blood, but he jumped on a table and shot pictures of Kennedy's open and ebbing eyes, and then of Ethel Kennedy crouching over her husband and begging photographers—begging him—not to take pictures.

Click on the link for more

Bush alludes to Capitol rioters' “determination to defile national symbols” in 9/11 speech

Former President George W. Bush on Saturday warned of homegrown violent extremism while speaking at the Flight 93 memorial on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Driving the news: "We have seen growing evidence that the dangers to our country can come not only across borders, but from violence that gathers within," said Bush, who joined Vice President Kamala Harris and others at the ceremony.

"There's little cultural overlap between violent extremists abroad and violent extremists at home. But in their disdain for pluralism, in their disregard for human life, in their determination to defile national symbols, they are children of the same foul spirit. And it is our continuing duty to confront them."

Following the Capitol riot, Bush released a statement denouncing "the reckless behavior of some political leaders since the election and by the lack of respect shown today for our institutions, our traditions, and our law enforcement."

"The violent assault on the Capitol — and disruption of a Constitutionally-mandated meeting of Congress — was undertaken by people whose passions have been inflamed by falsehoods and false hopes. Insurrection could do grave damage to our Nation and reputation," the 43rd president added.

The former President's remarks come a week before a Sept. 18 rally planned in support of individuals arrested for storming the Capitol on Jan. 6. The rally — spearheaded by former Donald Trump presidential campaign official Matt Braynard — is known as "Justice for J6."

The big picture: Bush also highlighted the unity that was on display in the weeks following the 9/11 attacks in his speech on Saturday.

"In the weeks and months following the 9/11 attacks, I was proud to lead an amazing, resilient, united people. When it comes to the unity of America, those days seem distant from our own," Bush said.

Click on the link for more