Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please stop blaming the refs. You look dumb.

Koolblue13

Don’t you know, the NFL has it out for what was one of its cornerstone and most valuable franchises for unknown reasons and they have an elaborate and secretive  deal with 30+ different referees to deliberately cheat us every week of the season. 

haha it’s hard to even write that knowing people actually think it 

Here's the deal with the officiating. The quality has gone down consistently over the years, yes. That's concerning. Some of the dead weight has been encouraged to retire, and they have. But some, like Bill Leavy has simply been shifted to supervisory roles, which is really troubling because of his inconsistent way of interpreting the rules. Some of the young guys who've come up from the collegiate ranks are good and have potential. There are gonna be missed calls in every game for every team; and there are going to be some real head-scratchers every game too. I have some family members who have been doing this for a long time, and I'll tell you this -- none of the guys with striped shirts are confident when they have to turn to Park Avenue for a review decision from Al Riveron. He's terrible, and just about every official in the league will tell you privately that you'd better put the pedal to the metal and run up the score, because if it's possible that the outcome of the game can be affected by a replay, you might get screwed. So you've gotta run it up like when Jimmy Johnson was with the Hurricanes, playing Satchahoochie Tech and Deuteronomy State every Saturday. A bunch of the good ones retired because they refused to continue working under Riveron. We'll see how much longer the league puts up with him, but there's no conspiracy in terms of the officials being against the Redskins. Even when the owner made those bone-headed remarks about Byron Boston not officiating because his son was playing in the league, Boston maintained his professionalism and has consistently been one of the best zebras on the field when our team is competing.

NFL refs are the worst among all officiating in professional sports, with that said I DO NOT think the NFL has some vendetta against us . Still though , nothing would surprise me when it comes to a Rodger Goodell led league. The NFL has some skeletons in its closet so its probably not fair to go around calling people "dumb" for being suspect of a "image obsessed league" when our team name aint the best (literally) , Nothing would surprise me in 2019.

1 minute ago, WeThreeKingsRuleU said:

It does happen though, i can think of no better example then the Saints game last year, when they actively tried to help Brees break the record before halftime, you had to be absolutely clueless not to see that coming

Wierd, I was under the impression the Redskins were actively trying to let him break it.

1 minute ago, WeThreeKingsRuleU said:

It does happen though, i can think of no better example then the Saints game last year, when they actively tried to help Brees break the record before halftime, you had to be absolutely clueless not to see that coming

You could easily say the blown call by the ref cost the Saint's a trip to the SB.  I think bad calls happen in almost every game.  Good teams I agree tend to get the benefit of the doubt but the Skin's are not losing games because of the refs.  

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah missed calls happen for everyone. It's the lamest thing to whine about. Nobody is calling nuanced holds on our team. It's the lamest battle cry of a loser team. Yeah, plays get missed. It doesn't matter unless you're garbage. 

Nail hit SQUARELY on the head. 

And that mentality emanates from the very top of the organisation on down. They are ALL, from the front office through the lame duck, amateur hour coaching staff,  as complicit in the culture here as each other. They set the tone for everyone else. 

Hail. 

Has this really been brought up as the reason the Skins lost yesterday?... Because I haven't seen it anywhere. It's been like 98% blame on coaches, Dan, and Bruce from what I have observed, but at the same time, I tend not to seek out "misery" threads after losses, either here or on twitter. But those types of threads don't tend to blame the refs too often.

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Has this really been brought up as the reason the Skins lost yesterday?... Because I haven't seen it anywhere. It's been like 98% blame on coaches, Dan, and Bruce from what I have observed, but at the same time, I tend not to seek out "misery" threads after losses, either here or on twitter. But those types of threads don't tend to blame the refs too often.

Yep. I'm a chief ref curser, but we didn't get reffed yesterday. There have been games where we have intentionally, consciously, and been reffed with malice.

Funny note: I used "reffed" as a verb so often that my spell check seems to accept it as a real word. If spell check thinks reffing is real... then it must be!

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I haven't seen much of it either, but it made some appearances in the gameday thread.  Perhaps Koolblue is psychic and knew Moses was going to whine about it on the radio this morning.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Funny note: I used "reffed" as a verb so often that my spell check seems to accept it as a real word. If spell check thinks reffing is real... then it must be!

LOL!...I'm waiting for my spellcheck to recognize "Guice" as a correct word.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I haven't seen much of it either, but it made some appearances in the gameday thread.  Perhaps Koolblue is psychic and knew Moses was going to whine about it on the radio this morning.

lol @ the Moses comment 😂...

I was barely on the gameday thread, so you're probably right.

In Moses defense on a Junkies interview this morning, Moses said he asked the ref at the beginning of the game "am I okay" and the ref responded something like "you're close but I'm okay with the way you are blocking" and then started calling them on him later in the game.  Weird...

On 9/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I saw it start in the game day thread and it just gets louder and louder. It's been a constant whine from Redskin fans for a long time. It's easier to blame refs than admit your players arent very good and the coaching blows though. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I saw it start in the game day thread and it just gets louder and louder. It's been a constant whine from Redskin fans for a long time. It's easier to blame refs than admit your players arent very good and the coaching blows though. 

No argument from me.  

I think the last time I really blew a gasket over the refs was the Cousins 'fumble' in the season opener against Philly a few years back, when they reviewed the play and let the call on the field stand when it was clear as day his arm was moving forward.  That effectively ended the game with a loss for the Skins.  It definitely felt 'rigged'.

But as we've seen time and time again, the refs just plan out suck and get stuff wrong all the time.

On 9/9/2019 at 2:02 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah missed calls happen for everyone. It's the lamest thing to whine about. Nobody is calling nuanced holds on our team. It's the lamest battle cry of a loser team. Yeah, plays get missed. It doesn't matter unless you're garbage. 

I get your point but it is tough watching as a fan and seeing blatant and sometimes brazen holds which leads to big offensive play by the opposing team not get called.

And you watch a somewhat ticky-tacky hold called on us.  

We either coach our guys to get away with holding opponents or teach our Defenders how to sell a hold better. 

On a side note, I wonder if the Skins has a dossier on officiating crews and their tendencies?

KB- weird time to start this thread, I don't think anyone is blaming the refs for the loss on Sunday. 

That being said, there are plenty of instances, league-wide, where refs can be blamed for affecting the outcome of games. Most notably, the Saints/Rams playoff game last year with the no-call PI. (I assume everyone remembers it, so I won't go into details). Not all examples though need to be as obvious as that and you don't have to be a terrible team to not be able to overcome a few poor, drive-changing calls or no-calls. If you have two evenly matched, teams and one has the benefit of a few more calls that go their way, you better believe it has an impact.

If you watched the Saints/Texans MNF game, which I hope you did, what a game, you would have seen JJ Watt getting held coming around the end a la Ryan Kerrigan and he drew a flag that we rarely see Kerrigan get. I'm not calling for a conspiracy against the Skins, I'm just saying that these type of inconsistencies and missed calls absolutely affect games. 

The loss to Philly certainly isn't an example of ES whining about blown calls, but out of the next 15 games I'm sure we'll have one. We'll cross that bridge when you get there, but to completely dismiss inconsistent/poor reffing as an "excuse" is flat-out ignorant. 

Archived