Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

20 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

3-5 games max for this campaign.

Kinda hard seeing the negativity here but uh...its the exact mindset I'm going with into the season..being the homer I am I stay positive and cheer em on...but just looking at the big ? at o line(Callahan can only do so much)and wr and especially qb it leads me to believe the skins will only win 3 games...Gruden gone by week 6 type thing.

lol we go for the cheap option of course (for now). Classic Bruce.

It's malpractice that we can't put Flowers at LG (where he needs ALL his reps to see if he can make the transition) until we get a body in here for LT and yet we didn't sign someone until after two days of camp...when we knew for weeks Trent wasn't gonna show. We weren't winning that pointless game of chicken and he wouldn't be practicing anyways!

Training camp doesn't include that many practices, and yet we purposely threw at least two away when it comes to seeing if Flowers can even come close to plugging our LG hole. 

Just amateur hour.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Just amateur hour.

The only reason I’m going to disagree with you here, is because of how the front office handled this years draft.  It was excellent.  We still have to see how it shakes out, but I’m more than pleased up to this point compared to years past.  I also like them bringing in Bostic.  He’s already calling the defense, and from what I’ve seen, is twice as athletic as Mason Foster was.

Game 1, we're gonna stick Bill Callahan at starting LT. We just can't do it yet, because he's busy with his coaching duties with the rookies.

On a serious note, what really sucks, is it's set up so that we can only dress 7 Offensive Linemen on gameday.

Obviously, that's just 2 spares.

And in today's NFL, it's certainly not beyond belief that a team could have more than 2 OL go down in the same game.

5 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

The only reason I’m going to disagree with you here, is because of how the front office handled this years draft.  It was excellent.  We still have to see how it shakes out, but I’m more than pleased up to this point compared to years past.  I also like them bringing in Bostic.  He’s already calling the defense, and from what I’ve seen, is twice as athletic as Mason Foster was.

We've been improving in the draft department for years. Not crapping on that. 

Our utilization of FA has left much to be desired, however. I don't know whether to put that on the pro scouting department or the decision makers, none of whom can be squarely hit with blame anyways because we have no recognizable organizational structure to tell us whose fault something is. 

But I didn't even want to get into all this. This handling of LT so far in camp is what i was referring to--amateur hour.

It's not even about Trent right now. He wouldn't be practicing anyways. But because we didn't bother to get a couple bodies in here on time, we are literally throwing entire days away when it comes to Flowers, because he's forced to play LT where we KNOW he sucks. He was our big bright idea to potentially fix LG and we don't even get the bodies we need on the roster in time to make sure this dude can grab every snap possible at LG. 

I just hate everything about it even ignoring the Trent stuff. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm not saying he's anything close to Trent, or the long-term answer, but LT may not necessarily be a disaster, because we havn't seen much of Christian yet this year, in order to evaluate his prospects.

He's added about 17 pounds to his weight in the offseason. Let's see if he's also added some better technique.

From what was being said. LT position was horrible during OTAs. Sounds like it's off to a bad start as far as training camp goes as well. Normally bringing in 2 tackles to look at after only 2 days of training camp isn't a good sign. 

Robinson may not be as good as Penn, but he has to be better than Flowers at LT.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/training-camp-notes-here-are-redskins-linemen-who-stood-out-day-2

" At a certain point, the Ereck-Flowers-at-left-tackle updates will stop, because it'll be too redundant to keep bringing up his struggles. Also, as some have pointed out, the situation isn't exactly fair to Flowers, seeing as the organization brought him in with the intention of lining him up at guard. But as of now, he's at tackle, and as of now, it's flat-out bad. Ryan Anderson blew by him in 1-on-1, and it's not like Anderson is a speed guy. During team drills, meanwhile, Cassanova McKinzy just dusted him. "

11 hours ago, Unbias said:

So it sounds like we got excited for Donald Penn, but things broke down when we offered him Corey Robinson money. Unfortunately Corey Robinson money will get you...... Corey Robinson...

It's okay. While playing on OL rich teams like the Lions and Jaguars he was able to amass 9 starts in 4 seasons. 

Tackle is no longer a problem. 

Book your flights and hotels for the Superbowl now. 

Imagine reacting this way to a camp body

21 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Imagine reacting this way to a camp body

It's like the first time you let your oldest child watch their siblings alone... you get home and the best thing you can say is, "well, at least you didn't burn down the house"

Advanced issues found

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Robinson may not be as good as Penn, but he has to be better than Flowers at LT.

I wouldn't bet on it. Personally, I'd place the higher stock on Flowers. I know Ty would have cost us but that move is biting us in the rear right now. You don't let above-average OT's walk. Sacrifices should have been made else-where.

12 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Not really they could still sign Penn. Let's be real the Skins will probably lose half of the starters before the season starts. Hell foster took one step and blow out his knee.

Neither Trent nor Penn are going to play any other position besides LT and neither will play as depth so yeah, it's one or the other and if they sign Penn I don't see Trent coming back.

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/training-camp-notes-here-are-redskins-linemen-who-stood-out-day-2

" At a certain point, the Ereck-Flowers-at-left-tackle updates will stop, because it'll be too redundant to keep bringing up his struggles. Also, as some have pointed out, the situation isn't exactly fair to Flowers, seeing as the organization brought him in with the intention of lining him up at guard. But as of now, he's at tackle, and as of now, it's flat-out bad. Ryan Anderson blew by him in 1-on-1, and it's not like Anderson is a speed guy. During team drills, meanwhile, Cassanova McKinzy just dusted him. "

It's amazing how truly awful Flowers is at LT.  How did he even get this far?  He makes Tyler Polumbus look like Anthony Munoz. 

You would think having played so much at LT that he might have at least a tiny bit of aptitude.  You really might as well put him at guard right now and literally try anybody else out there.  Just dispense with the notion that he's at least done it before, because he doesnt act like it.

Just now, Califan007 said:

I know people don’t necessarily give PFF grades automatic credibility, especially when those grades don’t match their “eye test”, but I think Penn got worse grades from PFF over the last 2 seasons than Flowers. (doing this from memory so could be wrong, though)

Penn was a 79 from PFF in 2017. Flowers was well into the 50s.

Bottom line is that with or without Trent, some of these backups were likely to end up on the field at some point this year.

I still don't think they are done. Meaning, keeping an eye on who is likely to get cut from other teams. Maybe trading to avoid a bidding war with other teams. Something I think will end up happening. If Trent wants out, then I don't know. If he wants more money. Fine, but performance based. No checks for missing time.

Trent needs to sit until he comes back under his current contract, or a trade offer that can't be refused comes along.  As long as players are rewarded for refusing to honor the agreements that they freely entered into, then hold outs will continue and increase.  It's bad faith, detrimental to the team, and a smack in the face to fans.  It's not like the team is otherwise headed for a run this year so refusing to blink should be an easy decision.  Sign the best available LT now and move on.

49 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It's amazing how truly awful Flowers is at LT.  How did he even get this far?  He makes Tyler Polumbus look like Anthony Munoz. 

You would think having played so much at LT that he might have at least a tiny bit of aptitude.  You really might as well put him at guard right now and literally try anybody else out there.  Just dispense with the notion that he's at least done it before, because he doesnt act like it.

Flowers is a perfect example of how a team can destroy a player, one that everyone knew was a project, by starting him right away.  Played only one year at Miami before starting at tackle in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

Flowers is a perfect example of how a team can destroy a player, one that everyone knew was a project, by starting him right away.  Played only one year at Miami before starting at tackle in the NFL.

Yep, and then had musical chairs at OL coach while in NY. That was terrible for his development. I want the kid to become successful, preferably for us. I hope Callahan can provide him what he's been missing.

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Penn was a 79 from PFF in 2017. Flowers was well into the 50s.

Well there ya go then lol...

For the record, PFF Redskins said Flowers was in the 60s in 2017, not in the 50s. From a tweet comparing grades between Nsekhe and Flowers:

I had also remembered reading this about Penn's performance last season (also on twitter, I think). I found the article I had read:

"Here is a look at each individual players grade.

LT Kolton Miller- 56.1

LG Kelechi Osemele- 54.8

C Rodney Hudson- 73.5

RG Gabe Jackson- 68

RT Donald Penn- 43.9

Penn’s transition to right tackle has not gone as smooth as Jon Gruden would have hoped. Penn is the lowest graded pass-blocking tackle in the league, according to PFF. On the season he has allowed two sacks, two hits and four hurries."

It was only 3 games at that point, I think--Penn was injured the next week, I believe. And he was at right tackle, not LT, so that could have factored into things. Trying to remember where I saw the mention about Penn's 2017 season...from what you posted, maybe I read about something other than his overall grade.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I know people don’t necessarily give PFF grades automatic credibility, especially when those grades don’t match their “eye test”, but I think Penn got worse grades from PFF over the last 2 seasons than Flowers. (doing this from memory so could be wrong, though)

The Bucs gave Penn a sizable contract in 2010, he made the pro bowl that year and then he was meh, they cut him 4 years into his 6 year deal.

He's definitely not on the level of TW, not even close IMO.

Archived