Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As Doc Walker (and I rarely think Doc has much insight but I agree with him on this one) likes to say they've worked out an arrangement where no one gets blamed for anything.    

They've created a football bureaucracy.  Hence the 7 and 8 win seasons I suppose.  Survival technique for getting along in a fundamentally unstable organization.

See, I don't find the local reports totally satisfying, because Trent is only unavailable until Allen decides he's available...and at that point only Allen and whoever he talks to will know. 

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, nothing’s happening. Real trades moves in silence. 

Not always. With us usually, yeah. But a leak on the Browns side wouldn't be crazy.

The only report that gives me hope is the one from the guy who also called the OBJ deal. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is a solid haul. I think the Browns will finish 7-9 or 8-8 anyway so that is a mid 1st. Njoku will be plug and play as a starter at TE and Higgins could be a solid no. 2 WR for us (meaning bye to PRich and his monster contract). The issue is that both of those guys are nearing the end of their rookie contracts - with Higgins, it is end of this season. 

if this rumor is true, what might be holding up this trade is that the team might be looking to get contract extensions in olace with one or both of these guys

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman who thus far has been the most accurate on the Trent proceedings if I recall said recently that Bruce told Trent that they won't trade him until the off season.  That's a fairly specific report so I believe that Bruce said that to Trent.  The question is was Bruce bluffing?  Or will he change his mind?   Of all the things that have been Bruce hallmarks here, I suspect if Trent never gets traded -- this will top them all.     His signature move.

Excellent point.  That was a specific report so have to believe that's what Bruce has been spewing to everyone.

Im no GM but I would have to think the value drops during the off season as there isn't the same pressure on teams to "fix" a pressing need like during the season.  Seems to me the value of a plug and play player like Trent at one of the most important positions has the most value early in the season and/or like now with the Browns where they are struggling to protect their young franchise QB and have high hopes for the season.

Come on Bruce - shock us all and do something positive for this organization - make a deal.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

See, I don't find the local reports totally satisfying, because Trent is only unavailable until Allen decides he's available...and at that point only Allen and whoever he talks to will know. 

Not always. With us usually, yeah. But a leak on the Browns side wouldn't be crazy.

The only report that gives me hope is the one from the guy who also called the OBJ deal. 

For a reporter to put it out there to expect TW to be a Brown "very soon" you would think that would take some serious insight into what's happening. Otherwise this dude is just talking trash to get his name out there. 

So stupid. Waiting until the off-season means he can't help teams now--less urgency when they can tell themselves they'll use FA and the draft to fix LT. Then, we either have to settle for future picks or the current years picks will have a fixed value already--no way to luck into a surprisingly high Browns pick, for example. The picks will be known and we'll get less now or settle for future assets. 

Ugh.

10 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Excellent point.  That was a specific report so have to believe that's what Bruce has been spewing to everyone.

Im no GM but I would have to think the value drops during the off season as there isn't the same pressure on teams to "fix" a pressing need like during the season.  Seems to me the value of a plug and play player like Trent at one of the most important positions has the most value early in the season and/or like now with the Browns where they are struggling to protect their young franchise QB and have high hopes for the season.

Come on Bruce - shock us all and do something positive for this organization - make a deal.

Yeah if that's what they truly intend to do then my best guess is Bruce can sell it to Dan or whomever as a win win in the off season.  Hey we punished Trent AND we got a draft pick.   I bet they do get something back for Trent in the off season but it's unlikely to be what they can get now. 

The article I posted awhile back from Joel Corry has many similarities.  Tampa was stinking that season. But Bruce remained firm anyway.  Sounds like though Trent not saying a peep might be playing into Bruce's hands.  McCardell purposely became a pain in the butt to get Jon Gruden to perhaps tell Bruce to get rid of the guy.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-a-first-hand-look-at-redskins-gm-bruce-allen-handling-a-holdout-as-trent-williams-continues-to-sit/

...The idea was to become a big enough distraction to force a trade. That's why we kept McCardell available to media outlets where he became increasingly more critical of Gruden and the Buccaneers organization in his numerous interviews. Our NFL sources indicated to us that a couple of teams were interested in acquiring McCardell early in the season but Allen wasn't open to moving him at that time. This only deepened the divide between the sides.

Eventually, we found the right button to push. A former colleague of Gruden's in Oakland told me he hated confrontation. We had McCardell fly to Tampa about a week before the trading deadline for an impromptu meeting with Gruden where he was instructed to be extremely combative, which was out of character for him, because we thought that approach might help spur movement. We wanted Gruden to get a taste of what life might be like if a disgruntled McCardell came back.

I can't say for certain but suspect the meeting between McCardell and Gruden prompted the trade. Gruden couldn't have been looking forward to an unhappy McCardell returning after getting fed up enough with Johnson the year before to send him home for the final few games of that season.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Lets say this goes down.....does that change your opinion on Bruce at all? 

Nope. Bruce, even starting this p***ing-match with Williams is simply unacceptable and reeks of being SO out of touch with the pulse of this team and the locker room (not to mention, the team's best player himself).

Bruce initially came out and told us that he "knew what is going on with Trent" but did nothing about it. Either he knew what Trent's issue was (the team's medical staff or money, or both) and simply sat on his hands--further distancing the team from it's star player or he genuinely thought that Trent would eventually show up (completely underestimating Williams' character and resolve). Or, Bruce was simply lying and had no idea how to resolve Trent's issue so he just dug in, hoping Williams would cave. And now, here they are. A losing team, desperate for star players and future assets and this team now has neither.

Bruce has done NOTHING to help this team move forward from this situation. In fact, even if a trade finally does go down, there is very little hope that a trade now will yield anything close to what could have been had weeks ago. Bruce has fumbled this whole situation from the beginning. Sure, a trade will wash some of the poop off his face, but the stench remains.

#firebruceallen

Jumping to way to far conclusions, IF we get Cleveland's 1st for TW, and trade our own top 5 pick to a team that wants one of the QB's for two firsts, we could have two firsts in 2020 and 2021. That's your offensive line for the entire decade. If you look at it that way then why keep Trent who's 31? 

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

We spent ALLOT of Capital on D the last couple years and it seems to have been unproductive..is that the FO, Coaches or Players. *I* personally think Jay failed this club with his Oh shucks discipline. The FO gave him better than average talent IMHO

Probably not the place for this discussion, but talent can be wildly subjective when we're talking about building a team.  It's not uncommon for a player to perform poorly on one team and play better elsewhere.  Sure there are players that are straight badasses in any scheme, but they are few and far between.  I don't believe in letting any head coach not named Belichick have full control of personnel, but there has to be a marriage between the coach's vision and the GM's execution.  If the two parties aren't working in sync, the likelihood that you can end up with a bunch of pieces that don't really work together is high.  Of course there is more to it than just that, and KDawg hit on it as well.  None of this is to say that Jay is a great or poor coach, it's just to say that there is a lot more to it than just coaching em' up.

I could see Dan telling Bruce to do the deal just to get people talking about the Redskins instead of the Nats. That kind of stuff happens, especially when another team is stealing your thunder during your (football) season. 

Not that the Skins have any thunder this season anyway. 

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I could see Dan telling Bruce to do the deal just to get people talking about the Redskins instead of the Nats. That kind of stuff happens, especially when another team is stealing your thunder during your (football) season. 

My fingers are crossed for something like this. Trent no longer plays for the Redskins. Trade that asset already. To NOT do so at this point, is pure organizational negligence.

One of my biggest qualms with the press corps that covers the Skins is their inability to ask follow up questions. They get a shot at Bruce once every few years, and while some of the opening inquiries were good, when they received boilerplate platitudes, there was no follow up to make him answer truthfully (or at least squirm). Don’t just ask if there have been any inquiries about Trent, follow up by asking why there has been no accommodation on our part. 

If Bruce knows that Trent won’t be here at all, or only for a meaningless late season span to accrue his contract year. If Bruce knows that in the off-season Trent’s value will recede as teams look to a strong OT draft and FA to fill holes, without the in season urgency to plug a hole immediately, and that at that point we’ve also lost a full year of control of Trent, and have added a year to his playing age... then Bruce should be compelled to give this fan base an answer for WHY there has been no response from this organization to other team’s inquiries about Trent. 

As another poster said, this is organizational malpractice that sabotages the present and future of our franchise. Under Bruce’s watch we have been fleeced twice for 2 Andy Reid castoff QBs, have mortgaged the future in an unprecedented way to draft a failed QB in RG3, have franchise tagged a QB in a way never done before in the history of the league, and then let him walk for nothing, and that doesn’t even take into account the horrid overall record and lesser failures on Bruce’s watch. And yet, of all those colossal blunders, a failure to get a return on Trent would be Bruce’s signature move. 

#FireBruceAllen

1 minute ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

It really shouldn't be. But Tom Coughlin is a stand up, respected football mind. And we've got....well.... 

Ugh. 

Not only am I p***ed off over this (I truly feel like the guy in my avatar!), I am thoroughly embarrassed to be a Redskins fan. Im 45 years old, live and die with this team, but this is getting to be too much. I only hope to outlive Snyder in hopes that the team is eventually sold to more capable hands. In the meantime--hopelessness. 

4 minutes ago, carex said:

But Bruce doesn't actually have a stake in this so that doesn't work

Huh? If he thinks playing hardball makes him look better, that's what he'd do. He's stubborn in these situations for a reason and that's documented. He's all ego. 

Archived