Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

What do you guys think an impeachment will accomplish? It's not going to remove Trump becauae they don't have 67 Senators. Trump's going to keep acting like he's the victim.

Clinton's impeachment was over in 4 months.

Do you think the Democrats want this to be over in December 2019?

Only thing the Dems care about is the same as the Gop, getting or keeping power. The GOP is better at that goal than the Dems.

Look at the ages of whom is leadership among the Dems vs. The GOP. Except for cocaine Mitch,  most of the GOP is young. The Dems are mostly people in their 70's. 

Nancy only cares about keeping the house for 2020; so she's made the calculation impeachment will cost her the House. So, she won't allow their to be an actual impeachment. 

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What do you guys think an impeachment will accomplish? It's not going to remove Trump becauae they don't have 67 Senators. Trump's going to keep acting like he's the victim.

It will establish on public record that when one party and that party's president tried to stuff US democracy in the trash can, the other party stood up and said it was wrong and voted accordingly.  That's really too much to ask?

14 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

They have a chance to sway public opinion even further against Trump by exposing his criminality over the period of several months in high profile impeachment hearings. Present the case to the American people. If it's over in 2019 oh well guess what, you may have changed a lot of minds and you have definitely fired up your base (especially following an acquittal from the GOP senate) heading into 2020 which will absolutely be needed for the election. You've basically given the Dem base a rallying cry to focus around the nominee shortly after the primary finishes.

We need people knocking on doors, registering new voters, driving people to polls etc. This is the way to do that. Plus, you can cripple Trump over the next few months that this takes place. 

22 minutes ago, bearrock said:

There are seminal moments in a country's history and this is one of them.  It's not important that Trump will never get convicted in the senate.  What's important is that principled politicians take a stand and say this is clearly high crimes and misdemeanor and anyone who committed these acts are unfit for the highest office in the land.  If

This is a great point.  At some point you have stand up and do what is right.  That's why as of today, no Dem will get my vote unless they have been making impeachement one of their top priorities.  And I say as of today because they know it's the right thing to do NOW.  If in two weeks, they try to do it, I'd assume it is just because of some updated polling.

I haven't had great faith in our system of government for a while now.  Pelosi put the final nail in the coffin yesterday.

Dems need to learn "You don't go into battle because you know you will win, you go because you know it's right."

15 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What do you guys think an impeachment will accomplish?

Make every elected congress person go on the record, now and historically, on how they held this POS accountable. 

Sway public opinion against him.

Mire him in endless controversy.

Waste his political capital and put him on the defensive.

Shift the conversation to his corruption.

This is what impeachment will accomplish. But it requires pols putting in the time and effort, and it seems like House leadership is more interested in fake outrage and virtue signaling.

31 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

It is their duty to impeach Trump.  He absolutely committed impeachable offenses, he is utterly unfit for office, and his presidency is a daily threat to national security.  He invited foreign attack on our freaking presidential election and continuously attacks out core civic institutions.  He undermines Democracy itself.

Just because the unpatriotic Republican cowards in the Senate won't do their own duty to the country does not mean Democrats should shirk their duty as well.  That would make them complicit.

I'm of the opinion now almost that there is no real discernible difference between Democrats and Republicans. The Dems are just more spineless.

I almost don't even blame the Reps for their cult like worship of Trump. They're just doing what they gotta do to maintain power. They're sons of Bs but you almost have to respect them for it.

I said almost too much in this post.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm of the opinion now almost that there is no real discernible difference between Democrats and Republicans. The Dems are just more spineless.

I almost don't even blame the Reps for their cult like worship of Trump. They're just doing what they gotta do to maintain power. They're sons of Bs but you almost have to respect them for it.

I said almost too much in this post.

`

Too late. I've already notified the Minister of Citizen Reformatting. 

As more a stadium denizen, you could say the country is being managed about as well as the redskins and the real problem in both cases is "all of them" :taz:

There are CONTINENTS of difference between them. Let's not let justifiable frustration at inaction on the impeachment issue cloud things in terms of, just off the top of my head, the judiciary, the environment, women's rights, care for the poor, respect for norms, etc., etc., etc.

Playing defense still matters. And though I'm as angry as NE and Buzz are about this Pelosi crap, and I've been on record about "do it for the history books" too, I'm voting Dem for the good of the country.

13 minutes ago, JCB said:

There are CONTINENTS of difference between them. Let's not let justifiable frustration at inaction on the impeachment issue cloud things in terms of, just off the top of my head, the judiciary, the environment, women's rights, care for the poor, respect for norms, etc., etc., etc.

Playing defense still matters. And though I'm as angry as NE and Buzz are about this Pelosi crap, and I've been on record about "do it for the history books" too, I'm voting Dem for the good of the country.

i could go on and on, with genuine expertise even, about the "problems" with dems/libs (humans in general) but we're doing compare/contrast and specifying among subgroups here...in that light, for me, the dems overall are regularly occurring farts in the room that didn't come from you and linger like a couch-surfer and the gopers are like having a barrel of fresh baby diarrhea in the room on a daily basis 

this does not necessarily mean that humans are a "****" (rhymes with spit) species turning the globe into their toilet bowl. not necessarily.

Impeachment is a bad idea:

1. Impeachment plays directly into Trump's hands. He's begging for it and it almost guarantees Trump 2020.

2. There's nothing to impeach him for that we didnt already know in 2016. The American people voted for him anyway. 

3. If you think Trump is implicated in anything from the Mueller report you're in fantasy-land. Trump is the biggest bull****ting shyster of all time. He's been through 170 federal lawsuits alone, thousands of others. You're dreaming if you think you're going to nail Trump on any type of conspiracy, shady deals, corruption. He's already been nailed thousands of times and gotten off thousands if times. No one cares. Mueller already nailed his campaign manager, his policy advisors and his Nat Sec advisor. No one cares.

8 minutes ago, Mooka said:

1. Impeachment plays directly into Trump's hands. He's begging for it and it almost guarantees Trump 2020.

explain this. What exactly do you mean?

9 minutes ago, Mooka said:

2. There's nothing to impeach him for that we didnt already know in 2016. The American people voted for him anyway. 

He obstructed justice while in the White House.

9 minutes ago, Mooka said:

3. If you think Trump is implicated in anything from the Mueller report you're in fantasy-land.

We don't think he will be because the Dems wont act.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

explain this. What exactly do you mean?

He obstructed justice while in the White House.

We don't think he will be because the Dems wont act.

Trump won't be impeached. That'll be a win for Trump. The average American doesn't understand or care about the impeachment process. Dems say impeach, Trump is not impeached = win for Trump.

He obstructed justice? He publicly berated Mueller and the investigation for 2 straight years. He's still doing it. Again, if he obstructed justice no one cares now anymore then they did yesterday or in 2016 when they voted for him.

Not impeaching hurts the Dems chances in 2020 more than impeaching but not removing in the senate. By far.

dems seizes the house in a record setting election. People busted their asses, we had grassroots movements and tons of momentum. We did all this as a repudiation of Trump and we did it to put people in charge that will hold him accountable. 

It’s a slap in the face to anyone that voted Dem in 2018 to ignore that responsibility. It demotivates the base. Why the **** should they care if the actual dems they put in charge don’t? 

Its exactly how the Dems blow this by destroying the momentum and enthusiasm from 2018 by dragging their feet on the main thing they were elected to do 

The motions NOT being set forth by the Democratic Party to at least begin the call for impeachment will hurt their chances for any candidate to beat out 45 in 2020.  I don't think they realize how much this hurts. Unless they are just conceding victory to the GOP before the election even begins.  This is self-sabotage.  

51 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Trump won't be impeached. That'll be a win for Trump. The average American doesn't understand or care about the impeachment process. Dems say impeach, Trump is not impeached = win for Trump.

He obstructed justice? He publicly berated Mueller and the investigation for 2 straight years. He's still doing it. Again, if he obstructed justice no one cares now anymore then they did yesterday or in 2016 when they voted for him.

So let’s step back. Impeachment means the House votes. They determine he has committed a crime. The Senate has a trial where they determine if he should be removed. If Pelosi drummed up the votes, Trump would be impeached tomorrow.

what you are saying is he won’t be removed from office. Fair.

Then let Senate Republicans do that, after we have public hearings displaying all the evidence and a public trial where they determine guilt. Let’s do that. That way the American public can really understand what happens.

Impeachment of Nixon was not popular until they started having the hearings and people started to see what transpired. 

Right now you haven’t given us any evident that the public isn’t interested in hearing if Trump committed crimes.

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

They’re not gonna impeach him and I’ll tell you why.  99% of the people screaming for impeachment now will still vote for any democrat candidate in 2020.  There, cats outta the bag. 

Could be a wrong move, could be right.

Except it kills their base's energy and support for their leadership and will suppress turnout for them.  There is no strategy in this.

I honestly think the reason Democrats like Pelosi won't act is because they are scared of Republicans.  They are scared to do their duty because it means a fight and Nancy Pelosi is a very weak leader.

I enjoyed this article about Pelosi's weakness and incompetence and the incompetence of Democratic leadership: https://newrepublic.com/article/154523/nancy-pelosi-impeach

It lays out my frustrations in a much smarter way than I could.

Long story short, Pelosi is wholly unworthy of this moment in history.  She is George McClellan and the party needs a US Grant.  She needs to either step down from her leadership position or be pulled down, I don't care which.

33 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

That way the American public can really understand what happens.

Yea but that's not going to happen and you know it. The right has their own version of reality.

Sure as hell ain't happening in 1 year.

42 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Right now you haven’t given us any evident that the public isn’t interested in hearing if Trump committed crimes.

I didnt say interested in hearing, i said they don't care.

What crime are we talking about? Specifically. What is he being impeached for that we didnt know in 2016? He's a liar? He's a racist? He's a sexual harasser? Rapist? He tried to fire someone? He lied to an investigator?  

I see nothing we didnt already know in  2016. 

Archived