Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I've heard that some of the right are getting frustrated with FOX for not being right-enough. They want FOX to go full Alex Jones. Several of their shows probably are there already.

Oh that's the truth. As I've mentioned before sometimes I venture over into that space to see what's going on. People in places like Breitbart many times say they don't even watch Fox anymore outside of Hannity, Cucker Tarlson, etc (and sometimes even THOSE guys aren't right enough for them...let that sink in a bit) because the rest of it is "fake news" just like the rest of the mainstream media. Fox News isn't right wing enough for them. One of the scary phenomenons that has happened is ultra right wing / alt-right sites are now becoming in may ways mainstream in the Republican party. Their echo chamber and the nexus of where many of them get their "news" has moved in some part away from Fox News and towards places like Breitbart and OANN...both of which often basically regurgitate word for word propaganda from Russian "news" sources. Is it any wonder that the Republican party has basically turned into the pro-Putin party?

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I don't think anyone knows the answer to this. My belief is that the cult of Trump will live beyond his presidency and Fox would be in more trouble if they turn on him, than the other way around.

I agree that this desire for far-authoritarianism isn't going away overnight, and worse, doesnt need Trump.  I do believe theres more people that support Trump because hes a Republican then his actual base he keeps pandering to. 

So the hope is the GOP doesnt double down on his ideals looking for another Trump.  Trump ran as a republican for same reason ran as a democrat, neither would get elected as independents.  There are a couple that latch on his tits but dont a fraction of his charisma.  And I hate using that word for him because he uses it for all the wrong reasons, but people saying crazy stuff isnt new.

I mean we can look at Justin Amash (sp?) as one example.  Did he suddenly "turn liberal?" no.  He is still just as conservative and tea-party-y as he ever has been, it is just that he feels Trump has done enough to be impeached, and he was basically tossed to the side. 

His only crime in the eyes of right-wing media?  Not being 100% loyal to Trump. That is it. 

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I've heard that some of the right are getting frustrated with FOX for not being right-enough. They want FOX to go full Alex Jones. Several of their shows probably are there already.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oh that's the truth. As I've mentioned before sometimes I venture over into that space to see what's going on. People in places like Breitbart many times say they don't even watch Fox anymore outside of Hannity, Cucker Tarlson, etc (and sometimes even THOSE guys aren't right enough for them...let that sink in a bit) because the rest of it is "fake news" just like the rest of the mainstream media. Fox News isn't right wing enough for them. One of the scary phenomenons that has happened is ultra right wing / alt-right sites are now becoming in may ways mainstream in the Republican party. Their echo chamber and the nexus of where many of them get their "news" has moved in some part away from Fox News and towards places like Breitbart and OANN...both of which often basically regurgitate word for word propaganda from Russian "news" sources. Is it any wonder that the Republican party has basically turned into the pro-Putin party?

Naturally.  How else would we have known that fluoride in the water makes frogs gay or that Hilary Clinton was running a child sex ring out of a neighborhood pizza place? The lamestream media isn't going to cover important news like that.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree that this desire for far-authoritarianism isn't going away overnight, and worse, doesnt need Trump.  I do believe theres more people that support Trump because hes a Republican then his actual base he keeps pandering to. 

So the hope is the GOP doesnt double down on his ideals looking for another Trump.  Trump ran as a republican for same reason ran as a democrat, neither would get elected as independents.  There are a couple that latch on his tits but dont a fraction of his charisma.  And I hate using that word for him because he uses it for all the wrong reasons, but people saying crazy stuff isnt new.

I seriously hope the GOP does double down and try to find another Trump.  I don't think there is anyone currently in the GOP that could replicate Trump's demagoguery.  It takes a really special mix of ignorance and narcissism that can only really come from being filthy rich your entire life and therefore guarded from the consequences of your myriad defects. 

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I seriously hope the GOP does double down and try to find another Trump.  I don't think there is anyone currently in the GOP that could replicate Trump's demagoguery.  It takes a really special mix of ignorance and narcissism that can only really come from being filthy rich your entire life and therefore guarded from the consequences of your myriad defects. 

Sean Hannity?

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Got you covered

EIzmT5UXsAE85_o.jpg

I was watching some programs on the Nazis the other night and it's deeply concerning how much the John Birch Society has warped into the Republican Party and base which is morphing into modern Nazzism. All we have to see is the party's public embrace of white nationalism. I'll bet in private homes we'd hear even more, left over from the War of Northern Aggression, who's proponents are still fighting the war and believe in white nationalism. The Nazis were highly organized and also spread their cult of loyalty through outright and public violence against the populations they hated, terrorizing the rest of the population into accepting their views. The difference between the Nazis and Republicans is that the Republicans can't use public and outright violence against the populations they hate because there are too many people who won't put up with it. Plus the Nazis promised jobs and delivered in a big way as lots more people were out of work then following WWI and the worldwide Great Depression. They brainwashed the youth starting as young as three and four years old, then they had enough soldiers to start their world domination war in 1938. It was a smaller country size wise than ours. There are many other factors that contributed to the rise of Nazism. 

That doesn't stop the present day Republicans from trying some of the same tactics.

Yeah there is the "This guy, this time" factor with Trump.  I think you are seeing that with the Democratic field for 2020 right now.  Most of them on the stage are plenty qualified and would make for a fine fun of the mill competent "status quo" President, however it seems like post-Obama, people are looking to feel inspired and energized over worrying about actual policy.

Once Trump leaves, they could run into a situation where the next yahoo tries to do the same fire brand of "telling it like it is" and because it isn't Trump, it simply doesn't work.

Post-Trump politics era is probably the biggest mystery of what's to come. 

37 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah there is the "This guy, this time" factor with Trump.  I think you are seeing that with the Democratic field for 2020 right now.  Most of them on the stage are plenty qualified and would make for a fine fun of the mill competent "status quo" President, however it seems like post-Obama, people are looking to feel inspired and energized over worrying about actual policy.

Once Trump leaves, they could run into a situation where the next yahoo tries to do the same fire brand of "telling it like it is" and because it isn't Trump, it simply doesn't work.

Post-Trump politics era is probably the biggest mystery of what's to come. 

Can you imagine what the next republican candidate will have to do to "fire up the base?" Like maybe even LITERALLY stand up and shoot someone on 5th Avenue.

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Ya know, I can tell you hoping this backfires.  My thoughts are we see this so much in other countries that I dont want to take the risk, even though I agree it should fail miserably.  His base will see right through anyone that wont go as far as he did or trying too hard to be Trump.  The Kentucky governor tried doubling down and lost his job.  But that desire for another Trump, that's here to stay if the rest of the world is any indication.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya know, I can tell you hoping this backfires.  My thoughts are we see this so much in other countries that I dont want to take the risk, even though I agree it should fail miserably.  His base will see right through anyone that wont go as far as he did or trying too hard to be Trump.  The Kentucky governor tried doubling down and lost his job.  But that desire for another Trump, that's here to stay if the rest of the world is any indication.

Lots of people have tried to "go Trump" in an election and gotten crushed.  Virginia has recently had elections for Gov and Senator where the Trumpy guy got destroyed.  Corey Stewart lost by like 20 points and I think was deported or something.  Republicans have been losing a lot since 2016, largely due to losing the suburbs, and I think that would be exasperated by fake Trump candidates that, as you say, the GOP base will not like as much. 

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Lots of people have tried to "go Trump" in an election and gotten crushed.  Virginia has recently had elections for Gov and Senator where the Trumpy guy got destroyed.  Corey Stewart lost by like 20 points and I think was deported or something.  Republicans have been losing a lot since 2016, largely due to losing the suburbs, and I think that would be exasperated by fake Trump candidates that, as you say, the GOP base will not like as much. 

I'm agreeing with you, but I'll be honest. I jus want them to stop trying and looking, because if they dont they'll either eventually find him or someone close.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm agreeing with you, but I'll be honest. I jus want them to stop trying and looking, because if they dont they'll either eventually find him or someone close.

I know.  I think that strategy is much more likely to crash and burn, but I understand the concern.  

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Or someone who can push those buttons, but who's competent.  

Remember who finished 2nd to Trump?  

Archived