Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

There's a new Twitter account that posts Lindsey Graham video quotes about Trump during 2016 election season and right after until he supports him wholesale now. The article contains several of these tweets. 

https://news.yahoo.com/lindsey-graham-conscience-twitter-account-111411897.html

These are the reasons why he now supports Trump. I copied this from a FB post from a woman who was seated next to him on a plane. I am posting this without exposing her identity but thought it explains not just Graham's current devotion to Trump, but most likely the rest of them too. 

"The interesting part started when I asked him why he liked Trump who has not a moral fiber in his bone. Basically he responded that Trump gives him power that no other President has, he is having a ball getting his policies “past”. 

We discussed guns, pollution, kids in cages, immigration, LGBTQ, marijuana, mass transportation, relief for California and cyber security.  

The man has drunk the koolaide of power and says South Carolina will re-elect him so he doesn’t care what the rest of us think. We parted graciously and I told him no one will remember any good he has done, when this nation implodes from within."

The last paragraph also explains why so many current Republican Congressional office holders are "retiring" , because their districts have been changed from their gerrymandered Republican majority or in the case of Senators their states are turning more blue or their constituents are unhappy with their support of Trump. 

I heard this author doing an interview on Sirius while driving yesterday and found it very informative.  I think how involved Chief Justice Roberts wants to be will have a major effect on how the whole process goes.  I know he is considered a conservative but has lately become a little more of a swing vote.  And knowing this will make up a large part of his legacy, I think he will act to make this process as “even” as possible.

The bottom line is that this trial will be all about who can count to 51—and all about how active the chief justice wants to be in determining the default rulings if senators fail to do so. Will Roberts seek to emulate his predecessor Rehnquist’s hands-off approach (according to one book on the impeachment trial, Rehnquist brought court work and playing cards to pass the long periods of downtime)? Or, will he be more like Chief Justice Chase and take an active role in the Senate trial process—and how will senators react if he does this? With only two prior presidential impeachment trials to work from, there’s no strong norm here. So Roberts could also try to chart a course of his own.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/imagining-senate-trial-reading-senate-rules-impeachment-litigation

Still zero defense of Trump's actual actions.

Ted Cruz was sad, yet predictable on that interview. It is apparent the GOP is ine full-blown, "just keep lying about Ukraine as to foggy up everything" as if that would even excuse Trump's actions anyway (it wouldn't). 

27 minutes ago, gbear said:

From the article:  

"I'm not going to participate in things that I think will destroy the country," Graham added. "We're not going to turn the Senate into a circus."

i began the day with a real appreciation for so many wonderful humans (i didn't watch cnn heroes but i'm thinking of people i know doing such things) but i also am watching the first hour or two of today's hearing and i still find it easy to leave room for wishing for awful stuff to happen to every sitting goper member of congress, but if i had to prioritize among them let's begin with everyone who's considered part of the freedom caucus and on the judiciary or intel committees

namaste, you goper russian puppet weasels, and may the third eye of  the typical ****-for-brains conservatives who nurtured your ilk all these years, denying your existence as the bulk their dysfunctional cesspool of a constituency, look inward to illuminate] their dark steamy ****-for-brains political choices and repent appropriately

Archived