Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Am I wrong, or was every single Republican member of the committee in attendance?  (Or at least allowed).  

(And does anybody here actually believe that the GOP is ticked because the impeachment proceedings aren't being publicised more?)  

I really believe that they favor Trump being removed with as little damage to the party because they can't control him. They make minimal responses instead of taking real action on Trump's issues in order to let the other party or Trump himself end his presidency.

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

Am I wrong, or was every single Republican member of the committee in attendance?  (Or at least allowed).  

(And does anybody here actually believe that the GOP is ticked because the impeachment proceedings aren't being publicised more?)  

The pre-storming of the room photo op says everything. It was a calculated stunt that backfired. A gaggle of Republicans can't do anything right!

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

GOP is shook and their theatrics are just getting sadder by the day.

It’s been sad for a long, long time but here’s the thing… It’s going to end the same way because they don’t care and their voters don’t care.  Long ago, they forfeited any semblance of ethics or integrity. It’s all been a power grab and the natural progression is for them to sink lower and lower. This will get worse.

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It’s been sad for a long, long time but here’s the thing… It’s going to end the same way because they don’t care and their voters don’t care.  Long ago, they forfeited any semblance of ethics or integrity. It’s all been a power grab and the natural progression is for them to sink lower and lower. This will get worse.

They are losing educated voters and suburbs at an accelerated pace thanks to this nonsense. I hope they keep it up. It took Nancy some time to find her groove, but she's doing exactly what the voters demanded in 2018.

10 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

They are losing educated voters and suburbs at an accelerated pace thanks to this nonsense. 

Are they really though? Where are you seeing this trend? All the Trumpers I know or see on social media (educated or not) just dig in their heels. 

14 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

They are losing educated voters and suburbs at an accelerated pace thanks to this nonsense. I hope they keep it up. It took Nancy some time to find her groove, but she's doing exactly what the voters demanded in 2018.

Hopefully our democratic processes hold up because there simply is no limit to what they will do in order to secure power. Sound hyperbolic? We’ve all sat here and watched them make a conscious decision that it is acceptable to tell America that there is a deep state shadow government, to obstruct justice, to claim that our intelligence agencies can’t be trusted, seek the help of hostile foreign governments to win elections, blackmail foreign governments into manufacturing phony scandals, brainwash American citizens with endless propaganda, claim that a free press is the enemy of the people, and lie about our election system being rigged. None of what I just said is wild conspiratorial nonsense. It’s right in the open.

It’s pretty obvious where this is headed. Hope it’s not too late.

3 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Are they really though? Where are you seeing this trend? All the Trumpers I know or see on social media (educated or not) just dig in their heels. 

Yeah exactly.

And it doesn't matter how many voters you gain/lose but WHERE. Getting 50% more people to vote Dem doesn't matter if they're all in California or New York.

3 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Id recommend taking a look at the 2018 midterm demographics regarding exit polling.

16 minutes ago, Chachie said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americas-electoral-map-is-changing/

The widening rural/urban/suburban divide and educated/non-educated divide is really the major fault line in US politics right now. It was very pronounced in 2018 and the polling so far continues to show that the trend is keeping steady.

From a lot of the studies that have come out since 2016, the main take home message is that the even prior to Trump/Clinton, rural areas and non-college educated voters were trending away from Democrats, whereas suburbs and college-educated voters were trending away from Republicans. Trump essentially accelerated this phenomena by at least a decade compared to what political scientists thought initially would be a slow long-term trend.

21 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Hopefully our democratic processes hold up because there simply is no limit to what they will do in order to secure power. Sound hyperbolic? We’ve all sat here and watched them make a conscious decision that it is acceptable to tell America that there is a deep state shadow government, to obstruct justice, to claim that our intelligence agencies can’t be trusted, seek the help of hostile foreign governments to win elections, blackmail foreign governments into manufacturing phony scandals, brainwash American citizens with endless propaganda, claim that a free press is the enemy of the people, and lie about our election system being rigged. None of what I just said is wild conspiratorial nonsense. It’s right in the open.

It’s pretty obvious where this is headed. Hope it’s not too late.

Agreed but thankfully we aren't completely past the point where blatant corruption goes totally unchecked.

There are some craven losers in this country who will destroy rule of law and constitutional checks against authoritarianism so they can ban abortion or some other medieval crap but so far, they have faced steep resistance from the general public and from built-in government checks and balances.

But yes, it's abundantly clear that the official position of most GOP voters is that they would burn this country, its institutions and its norms to the ground if it means they get to enact all their favorite policies. "Siri, how does a society come under the grip of dictators" has been wonderfully answered by every single GOP voter who continues to debase him/herself in service of Trump.

47 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

GOP is shook and their theatrics are just getting sadder by the day.

More taken directly from the Third Reich playbook.

When Nazis started getting elected to the Reichstag they unanimously shouted down every speaker who wasn't a Nazi party member, literally stood and turned their backs on proceedings and yelled party slogans, and stormed into sessions in order to shut them down.

Yet another direct behavioral correlation.

~Bang

It's tough when you realize the correlation to education funding cuts in red states and the growing trend of targeting the uneducated by the GOP.  It's obvious the plan is to convince certain trees they are friends because the axe handle is made of wood.

Are some people jus plan stupid, sure, but the reality is there are powers at work to make people as stupid as possible so they can get away with their nonsense. Poor rural folks wanting the government to keep their hands off the government programs they depend on for survival is a political talking point, not a logical one.

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Agreed but thankfully we aren't completely past the point where blatant corruption goes totally unchecked.

I wish I could be sure you're right.  To me, evidence so far says you're wrong.  

It's been what, four years since the Trump campaign met with a representative of Russian intelligence to discuss how they can help them win.  

And maybe three years since he fired the head of the FBI for failing to promise to obstruct justice for him?  

Consequences so far?  They lost the ability to pass another tax cut.  A good chunk of the population isn't even upset by this.  (And a large chunk of the public approves of it.)  

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's tough when you realize the correlation to education funding cuts in red states and the growing trend of targeting the uneducated by the GOP.  It's obvious the plan is to convince certain trees they are friends because the axe handle is made of wood.

Are some people jus plan stupid, sure, but the reality is there are powers at work to make people as stupid as possible so they can get away with their nonsense. Poor rural folks wanting the government to keep their hands off the government programs they depend on for survival is a political talking point, not a logical one.

It’s all intentional.

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

I wish I could be sure you're right.  To me, evidence so far says you're wrong.  

It's been what, four years since the Trump campaign met with a representative of Russian intelligence to discuss how they can help them win.  

And maybe three years since he fired the head of the FBI for failing to promise to obstruct justice for him?  

Consequences so far?  They lost the ability to pass another tax cut.  A good chunk of the population isn't even upset by this.  (And a large chunk of the public approves of it.)  

This is one way of looking at it.

Another is that the Mueller investigation was authorized by Trump's appointed DoJ officials, the public overwhelmingly voted in favor of Democrats in 2018 elections, his current impeach inquiry is a direct result of officials within his administration following the rule of law and he faces an uphill re-election battle despite stable domestic economic conditions.

We have a slow, non-reactionary system of governance but it seems to be holding ground.... for now.

I'm reluctant to find optimism in seeing that a politician who has been publicly exposed openly committing multiple felonies might be enough to cause a politician who got 48% of the vote last time, to not win.  

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

These idiots are tweeting from inside a SCIF.

I thought they were shielded.  Like, it should be impossible.  

Archived