Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Joe Burrow is unbelievably locked in this year.  I thought he was a little shaky last week.  Not seeing the field as well.  A little sluggish in a variety of ways.  Felt like they were drained after the Bama game and didn't get up for Ole Miss.  And yet he was still monstrous when you take a step back and look at the raw offensive production.

This week he was back to locked in.  Smart.  Playing with energy.  He is in an incredible groove with Chase and Jefferson.  The OL has been physically imposing.  Playcaller has mind-melded with Burrow and he can basically do no wrong.  Edwards-Helaire has become unconscious the past month, he's reached a next level of play too.  Every single member of the offensive personnel is just executing to the best possible degree.

The only thing that might stop this offense is a long layoff before the playoffs.

Burrow has been the best player in the country this year, IMO.  A change in playcaller doesn't fully explain the transformation in him from last year to this year.  A lightbulb has turned on for him and he is playing the position at a master level and showing incredible instincts and fearlessness  Don't take this season of his for granted, because it's a special one.  It is peak level playmaking.

If I had votes, Burrow would get the Maxwell and Heisman and Chase would get the Biletnikoff.

Chase is better than the Alabama guys.  Better than Higgins and Hodgins.  Better even than Lamb, IMO.

He is a top ten lock next season.  I don't think he has any serious weaknesses as a player.

One last thing about LSU, their RG #68 Damien Lewis was an absolute monster in that game.  Popped in a major way and sprung Edwards-Helaire for three big runs.

We have got to get some of these LSU offensive players.  They have studs all over the that depth chart.  Kills me that we don't have our second rounder this season.  Kills me that we didn't get any value for Trent.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:28 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn't mean to quote the above so tried to edit and failed miserably. Anyway worth including this for people melting down over the win. Yes, I definitely think the 1.01 has sailed. That's gone, but the 1.02 and 1.03 are still very much in play, when looking at the bottom 8 overall, everyone, pretty much everyone, other than Cincy, looks like they've got about 1-2 potential wins left on their schedule. There are two pieces of good news after the disaster yesterday, 1.) We own the tiebreaker w/three of the four teams with 1 more win than us (Denver, Atlanta and Arizona) and 2.) Miami, and NYG both have very winnable games left (Miami plays NYG and the Jets), the Giants play the Dolphins, us and an Eagle team that seems like it might go into freewill, and we play on the road in our next two, before hosting Philly and the Giants, and then a roadie against a Cowboys team that very well could need the win to take the division, or to grab the 3 slot over the 4 slot in terms of the playoffs, who knows? Regardless, we will grab back a top 2-3 pick if we can just lose out. A third win, and we probably sit between 1.04-1.05 on draft day. We picked a great draft to suck for, but a terrible draft in terms of competition amongst bad teams. I flat out cannot remember a year EVER with so many teams with 3 or fewer wins after week 12. This just NEVER happens to this degree.

Miami: 2-9 (.488)

Vs Philly

@NYJ

@NYG

Vs Bengals

@ Pats

NYG: 2-9 (.463)

Vs Packers

@ Eagles

Vs Dolphins

@ Redskins

Vs Eagles

Was: 2-9 (.525)

@Panthers

@Packers

vs Eagles

vs Giants

at Cowboys

Denver: 3-8 (.542)

vs Chargers

@Texans

@Chiefs

vs Lions

vs Raiders

Atlanta 3-8 (.570)

vs Saints

vs Panthers

@49ers

vs Jaguars

@Bucs

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Didn't mean to quote the above so tried to edit and failed miserably. Anyway worth including this for people melting down over the win. Y

Miami: 2-9 (.488)

Vs Philly

@NYJ

@NYG

Vs Bengals

@ Pats

NYG: 2-9 (.463)

Vs Packers

@ Eagles

Vs Dolphins

@ Redskins

Vs Eagles

Was: 2-9 (.525)

@Panthers

@Packers

vs Eagles

vs Giants

at Cowboys

I don't think too many are melting down.  I know am not.  But I do find some irony if the Giants get Young as to parallels to 2018.  In 2018 on this thread we kept reassuring each other at one point yeah the Giants look to be on track for #2 but no way they stay there, they will win eventually.  It never happened.  And they ended up with Barkley.  Hate to do a rerun of that.  And like that year we were all chilled for a phase that no way the Giants end up with that pick.  the Giants (not us) have been the team historically with some monster defense pass rushers -- Taylor, Strahan.

I admit Daniel Jones thus far looks better than I thought he would.  Hopefully he gets hot.  😁

18 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The best thing for us is that DeVonta Smith is overshadowed by Jeudy and Ruggs on his team, and it's a deep WR class.  I'd be all about getting Smith on this team.

Smith has been a big-time playmaker for bama this year.  I was surprised he didn't get as much hype, and even recent write ups related to his NFL future are kinda bearish on him, due to his frame, lack of top end speed, and moderate athleticism.  It will be interesting to see how he pans out in the NFL.  Is he a benefactor to playing with an elite supporting cast, or is he also going to be a force in the NFL? 

Due to how deep the wr class is and some of those limitations, I'm not sure I'd use a 1st or 2nd round pick on him ( if we were to acquire additional picks), but Id be excited if we took him after that.  Our 3rd round wr from last year seems to have worked out fairly well.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Question for the draftniks...

Simmons vs Roquan Smith vs Devin White vs Devin Bush.  How would you rank the these athletic. LBs coming out?

I’ll field this one...

yes. Absolutely. Yes. Yes please. In that order.

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Simmons vs Roquan Smith vs Devin White vs Devin Bush.  How would you rank the these athletic. LBs coming out?

i recall some previous debates on these players so not all will agree with me here.  For me:

1. R. Smith

2. D. Bush (I became a late convert to him close to the draft) 

3. D. White

I haven't figured out Simmons yet or studied him. I've just noticed him from time to time watching his games.  He's small for a MLB.  I am gathering in the NFL he'd be more of a Derwin James type, do it all guy?   Like James he is really good at blitzing among other things.   Dime and nickel MLB, passing downs.   Some safety.  When I've watched him he seems to be a decent tackler, but not a hard hitter, usually tackles low and doesn't level guys (at least when I've paid attention) like R. Smith could.  Not that R. Smith was that big of a guy either but the way he hit reminded me of London Fletcher.  The hard thing with me about him is he looks fast but also a bit stiff, he is tall and lanky and doesn't seem to have great bend, yet he can cover good ground.  

I think the combine will be key for Simmons.  If he kills it, he might ascend after that even more like Bush seemed to albeit Bush wasn't as highly regarded it seemed at this point at least in the mocks back then.  Though at this point Simmons already seems to be a top 10 lock at least to the typical draft geek.  I'd be curious if he times as well as he looks and how well he does in the agility drills. 

Giants must draft Chase Young to salvage this miserable year

Let us get this out of the way as swiftly and succinctly as possible: The guy’s name is a godsend. This is not the only reason Chase Young must take his place as the next Giants pass-rushing force, but it helps.

The possibilities are nearly limitless:

• The Chase Is On.
  • The Race for Chase.
  • Disgrace for Chase.
  • Embrace the Chase.
  • Play like Dung for Young.

Well, OK, we should have quit at Embrace the Chase.

It has the ring of Suck for Luck and most likely more staying power than Tank for Tua. If ever there was one player with a particular skill set at a specific position ready, willing and able to help steer the Giants away from that jutting iceberg and toward safer seas, it is Chase Young, the exquisite defensive end from Ohio State widely regarded as the best player set to declare for the 2020 NFL Draft. It does not take 20-20 vision to see this. No need for 3-D glasses to enhance the image.

...The Giants need to stay at No. 2 or make sure any team ahead of them in the draft is in the market for a quarterback. The Dolphins need a quarterback. The Redskins, with Dwayne Haskins now starting as a rookie, do not, unless what Haskins shows down the stretch is so alarming, they cut bait on him, which is unlikely.

Barring an upset in their games against playoff contenders — the Eagles twice and this Sunday vs. the Packers — the Giants getting their hands on Chase Young will come down to their matchups with the Dolphins (Dec. 15 at MetLife Stadium) and Redskins (Dec. 22 at FedEx Field). It will come down to who wants it more, or less.

Young falls in line with the other top-tier prospects taken in the stratosphere of the draft in recent years, with measurable physical ability and on-field production to rival Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett, Bradley Chubb and Nick Bosa. He missed two games this season for the Buckeyes, sitting out an NCAA-imposed suspension for accepting a loan from a family friend, which he later repaid. Heading into The Game this Saturday in Ann Arbor, Young this season has the most sacks (16.5) in the nation and seven forced fumbles.

Young upon arrival would instantly become the best player on defense for the Giants, a building block to go along with Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley on offense. If they are fortunate enough to land Young, the Giants should instantly switch to a 4-3 defensive front to ensure Young lines up where he is most comfortable, one hand in the dirt, ready to explode out of his stance and level anyone in his pathway to the quarterback.

This horrible season is not what anyone in the building foresaw for the Giants, losers of seven consecutive games. The holiday season is upon us, and if Chase Young is the gift they get to unwrap, it will be worth raising a glass in celebration.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/26/giants-must-draft-chase-young-to-salvage-this-miserable-year/

image.gif

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think one is his grade and the bar graphs are the percentiles he is compared to peers at the position.

Ah right, ok.  He's someone I'm extremely eager to scout later on in this process.  Him and Okudah mainly, if we can't trade down much, and miss out on Chase Young.

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NY Post article "If they are fortunate enough to land Young, the Giants should instantly switch to a 4-3 defensive front to ensure Young lines up where he is most comfortable, one hand in the dirt, ready to explode out of his stance and level anyone in his pathway to the quarterback."image.gif

So what happens if the Skins are fortunate enough to land Chase Young?  Do the Skins need to switch to a full time 4-3 front?  Sweat in rotation at RDE?  Whom do you keep on the roster from the existing DT/OLB group?     Payne/Ionnidis  and Allen/Settle would certainly fit well in the interior of the line but I'm not sure any are suited to playing LDE.  Kerrigan would do as LDE (a light one) but he's not a long term solution due to his age.  You could, of course, put Allen/Ionnidis at LDE in certain situations or rotate Young/Kerrigan on the left side.  Changing things around to maximize the potential of a star player would have ripple effects on the other LBs as well (Anderson, Holcomb, Hamilton, Harvey Clemons).   I just hope Skins make sure all the pieces fit for whatever they want to do.   

On 11/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, mhd24 said:

Smith - White - Bush  - Simmons (right now but tons of upside)

Simmons has great speed and length. He could easily become better than the other in coverage. He may have more upside than the others and def more than most of this years prospects. I am hoping to see Simmons become a little more physical tackling, taking on defenders and working through trash. Perhaps adding a few pounds could help and give confidence in tackling better. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Hopefully when alls said and done we're still in a position to get one of the top WR's/DB's if we keep winning.

This is such a failure of a season to walk away with a wr or db in the first. I'm trying to think of a cb that got drafted that transformed a defense overnight. I cant help but think that it hasnt happened yet bosa had that impact with sf. As crazy as it is...49er fans were ready to expel saleh as dc... add bosa and Dee Ford (I dont count kwon since he a mlb) now they lead the league in sacks and on pace to be near the season record.

6 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

This is such a failure of a season to walk away with a wr or db in the first. I'm trying to think of a cb that got drafted that transformed a defense overnight. I cant help but think that it hasnt happened yet bosa had that impact with sf. As crazy as it is...49er fans were ready to expel saleh as dc... add bosa and Dee Ford (I dont count kwon since he a mlb) now they lead the league in sacks and on pace to be near the season record.

Well say we somehow get like 2 or even 3 more wins. That'll make us 5-11, putting us where,  8-10? Who could we get then?

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Well say we somehow get like 2 or even 3 more wins. That'll make us 5-11, putting us where,  8-10? Who could we get then?

No you're absolutely right that wr/db presents the best value in a player. You and I are in the same boat as yearning to get chase young. That's worth this season and I feel like he only one worth it enduring this season. The whole trent debacle, firing of coaches that was long overdue, the Bruce saga, the tumultuous and tiring effects of this front office. The ineptitude and suckiness of the entire team. Just get me chase young so I can be happy for a few months til we ask him to gain weight and play as a run stuffing end.

Anyhow I recall reading someone asking if we switched back to a 43 who would line up where. You have young as your rushing end, ion and Payne as the dts and Allen as run stopping lde. You have foster as mlb, sweat as a Sam or will. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsota said:

We probably will stay in the 4 spot for another week.

Next week though, it is Dolphins at Giants!  We are moving up baby.

These games in the next four weeks are crucial:

Week 13

Jets/Bengals

Week 14 

Dolphins/Jets

Week 15

Giants/Dolphins

Week 16

Bengals/Dolphins

Giants/Redskins

Lions/Broncos

Also, i'd be concerned with Atlanta losing out the rest of the way. Their schedule is brutal.

Archived