Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

26 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Hi. Anybody thinking about making Tua our pick at #2 now that his injury report was good?  Play Smith for 1 yr then dump him and play Tua. I for one was not overly thrilled with Haskins last year. Pos get a #2 for him this year or do something else?

Man. First of all, Smith probably won't be able to play or be reliable this year. So why start him and not Haskins? Two, no.

Yes, a year ago if you had said we could have Tua in 2020 I think many of us would have been salivating. But I think a lot of us feel good about Haskins long-term.

Did anyone look at Bill Barnwell's dominoes article on ESPN where he posits different scenarios with Melvin Gordon and Trent Williams?  http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story?_slug_=predicting-2020-nfl-offseason-dominoes-eight-star-players-set-144-move-chaos&id=28600904&redirected=true

No thanks on paying big money to Melvin Gordon or Kenyan Drake, but take a look at the Miami and New England Trent Williams scenarios.  He;s got us trading a second round pick that we don't have + Trent for either 23 or 26, depending on the destination.  Is he really thinking we'd give up a 2021 second round pick to deal Trent for a late first rounder?

What the **** kind of sense does that make for us?

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was just as baffled by that. It didn't make sense to me. And I think in one of the Trent scenarios it had us trading him for a 2nd. So I was like wait, i would rather have the 2nd than a late 1st and give up a (presumably) future 2nd. Odd to me.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I was just as baffled by that. It didn't make sense to me. And I think in one of the Trent scenarios it had us trading him for a 2nd. So I was like wait, i would rather have the 2nd than a late 1st and give up a (presumably) future 2nd. Odd to me.

Yeah... the Cleveland trade is so enormously better than the other two, if it's on the table, why even mention the other two?

I got to thinking about trade-down scenarios and a Dubar trade. TDN mock draft makes it hard to manipulate picks from other teams (and they don't have comp picks) so I did my best to emulate what a situation could look like. I traded #2 to Miami for #5, #18, #39 and #70. I then hypothetically traded Dunbar for the Bucs for their earlier 4th (by re-working some of the trades, I got there somehow so don't worry about it).

I am not sure I love these results, not because of the players I got (I loved who I got), but because I found myself by Round 4 just taking extra guys at repeat positions, which just felt unnecessary. I worked under the following assumptions:

FA Bradberry

FA Boston

FA Olsen

FA Funchess

RS Trent

RS Scherff

RS Flowers

1.5: Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson (From MIA)

1.18: AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa (From MIA)

2.7: Jeff Gladney, CB TCU (From MIA)

3.2: Van Jefferson, WR Florida

3.7: Saadiq Charles, OT LSU (From MIA)

4.2: Adam Trautman, TE Dayton

4.12: Damien Lewis, OG LSU (From TB for Dunbar)

4.38: Lamar Jackson, CB Nebraska

5.2: Jeremy Chinn, S So. Illinois

7.2: Steven Montez, QB Colorado

7.15: AJ Dillon, RB Boston College

And breaking it down on the crux of the Miami trade. Basically swap Chase Young for Isaiah Simmons, AJ Epenesa, Jeff Gladney and Saadiq Charles. I THINK I'd rather have Chase stil.

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I got to thinking about trade-down scenarios and a Dubar trade. TDN mock draft makes it hard to manipulate picks from other teams (and they don't have comp picks) so I did my best to emulate what a situation could look like. I traded #2 to Miami for #5, #18, #39 and #70. I then hypothetically traded Dunbar for the Bucs for their earlier 4th (by re-working some of the trades, I got there somehow so don't worry about it).

I am not sure I love these results, not because of the players I got (I loved who I got), but because I found myself by Round 4 just taking extra guys at repeat positions, which just felt unnecessary. I worked under the following assumptions:

FA Bradberry

FA Boston

FA Olsen

FA Funchess

RS Trent

RS Scherff

RS Flowers

1.5: Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson (From MIA)

1.18: AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa (From MIA)

2.7: Jeff Gladney, CB TCU (From MIA)

3.2: Van Jefferson, WR Florida

3.7: Saadiq Charles, OT LSU (From MIA)

4.2: Adam Trautman, TE Dayton

4.12: Damien Lewis, OG LSU (From TB for Dunbar)

4.38: Lamar Jackson, CB Nebraska

5.2: Jeremy Chinn, S So. Illinois

7.2: Steven Montez, QB Colorado

7.15: AJ Dillon, RB Boston College

And breaking it down on the crux of the Miami trade. Basically swap Chase Young for Isaiah Simmons, AJ Epenesa, Jeff Gladney and Saadiq Charles. I THINK I'd rather have Chase stil.

I can't see your mock, so i can't see who is on the board, but I threw out a hypothetical yesterday... what if we ended up with

1.5: Isaiah Simmons

1.18: Xavier McKinney

2.7: Bryce Hall

3.7: Saadiq Charles

And i'm just following your draft trade.  IMHO i don't take that trade because the 4th piece of that trade being a 3rd round pick isn't enough for me. 

9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

And i'm just following your draft trade.  IMHO i don't take that trade because the 4th piece of that trade being a 3rd round pick isn't enough for me. 

Yep. Same here. But I have a hard time liking any of the guys that are there in late 1 and early 2, so I struggle to like any of the trades I do in that range.

Gladney was BPA at 39 and was a position of need. Epenesa and Simmons make a ton of sense (Epenesa is the best 4-3 DE outside of Young). Charles was a top 5 BPA at a position of need at that pick as well.

Eh, I'm in the camp where we should just stay at #2 and draft Chase Young unless we can get an RGIII haul for the pick.  If for no other reason than for simplicity's sake.  Trying to judge the value of the return for #2 trades is a nightmare, to the point where I'd almost rather we just pick Young and be done with it.

Ashytn Davis, really good player, got some doubts he falls to the third.

They played him single high plenty, he has sideline to sideline speed.  He reminds me of McKinney in that he guesses right plenty as to where the ball is going.  

He also tackles well for the standard free safety.  They sometimes use him in blitzes.

I've read in a few places he's a smart player with intangibles that are off the charts. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He was well covered on that TD play, Johnson just fell down right before the catch point.  Vaughns made a nice play though.

Johnson actually shut him down aside from that one play.  They had him shadow Vaughns almost the entire game, which is why Michael Pittman detonated for 200+ yards.  It was pick your poison with that USC WR group.  You have to put Johnson on Vaughns because he's their best WR.  After him, St. Brown from the slot scares you the most so you make sure whoever is getting him gets Blackmon's help.  That leaves poor Tareke Lewis trying to guard Pittman by himself, which failed spectacularly.  It wasn't until the second half when Nurse came in and bodied up Pittman and got a bracket coverage from Blackmon over the top that they were finally able to quiet Pittman.  But by that point the damage had been done.  The theory was sound, Lewis just couldn't get it done and USC kept hammering that mismatch.

Looked like Vaughns got just about anywhere he wanted. The 2nd snap of the highlight Johnson is put off balance baldly - immediately, Vaughns blew by him early in the 2nd, he didn’t seem to struggle with Johnson much with USCs 4th string QB tossing it around. By the time I got to the early 2nd I was unimpressed, but the all 22 will show significantly more. I definitely have more to watch, that was just my initial impression of Johnson.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And the 1st Overall Pick in the NFL's 2026 Draft will be...

Lose every game until 2026 & we could be abhorrent for Lawrence before the March for Arch. Imagine the trade possibilities, we could trade for Spencer Rattler.

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Hi. Anybody thinking about making Tua our pick at #2 now that his injury report was good?  Play Smith for 1 yr then dump him and play Tua. I for one was not overly thrilled with Haskins last year. Pos get a #2 for him this year or do something else?

Give me Tua.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Did anyone look at Bill Barnwell's dominoes article on ESPN where he posits different scenarios with Melvin Gordon and Trent Williams?  http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story?_slug_=predicting-2020-nfl-offseason-dominoes-eight-star-players-set-144-move-chaos&id=28600904&redirected=true

No thanks on paying big money to Melvin Gordon or Kenyan Drake, but take a look at the Miami and New England Trent Williams scenarios.  He;s got us trading a second round pick that we don't have + Trent for either 23 or 26, depending on the destination.  Is he really thinking we'd give up a 2021 second round pick to deal Trent for a late first rounder?

I’d rather be stuck in a 3ft by 2ft hut on naked island with @KDawg than trade for Gordon or Drake. 

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Eh, I'm in the camp where we should just stay at #2 and draft Chase Young unless we can get an RGIII haul for the pick.  If for no other reason than for simplicity's sake.  Trying to judge the value of the return for #2 trades is a nightmare, to the point where I'd almost rather we just pick Young and be done with it.

The only way you miss on the pick is doing something other than taking Young.

I don’t like the idea of a trade back for multiple picks, because I am over the Skins just making good picks in the first round. I am ready for some elite talent on this team. I mean it is sad when the most elite player on this team is the punter. 

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm looking through it.  Some of the dollar values seem ludicrous.

- Byron Jones, $12 million a year.  That puts him just outside the Top 10.  I doubt that, and I would pay more money.

- Austin Hooper, $11 million a year.  Pricier than I thought, that puts him as the top TE earner in the league.

- AJ Green gets $21 million a year?  REALLY?  That puts him above Michael Thomas.  I'm sure AJ Green is still good, but he's been pretty injured lately.

- Chris Harris, $15.4 million a year.  He's going to be 31.  That's a lot of money for someone best in the Nickel.

- Breshad Perriman, $11 million a year. Speed kills I suppose, but that seems like a lot.

- JeDaveon Clowney, $25 million a year.  Wow.  He's a great all around player, but not an elite pass rusher.

- Dante Fowler, $23 million a year?  Jesus Christ we need to draft Chase Young and not trade down.  If mediocre Edge players get this much money, our only option is through the draft.  Fowler is 'ok', and his best year had a decent chunk of the production coming from Guards freaking out over Aaron Donald and not picking up Fowler on the stunt.  His QB hit totals are a little low compared to the sack number, that generally says regression will happen.

- Bud Dupree, $16 million a year.  More reasonable than Fowler, but still too high.

- Robert Quinn, $15 million a year, this would be from ages 30-33.  Quinn is finally healthy and had an early-career type season.  I'm the most ok with this one.

- Vic Beasley, $16 million a year.  This is crazy high for someone so inconsistent that seldomly produces.

Looking at the Trent Williams section, I accidentally skipped over some of our "moves" and had to re-read them.  He inconsistently uses Team Name for everyone else, and then Team Location for us.  I missed that he had us paying Trent Williams current money for the Saints LT, Andrus Peat.  He's been a bit banged up the past two seasons, but it doesn't seem like serious injuries we'd have to worry about in the future (like knee issues, achilles, etc).  $12 million a year for Peat seems alright, the trades he has us getting for Trent don't make sense.  I don't think he realizes we lack a 2020 2nd rounder.

He mentions it's likely we re-sign Brandon Scherff.  So that's interesting.

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I really don't see it either.  We picked up AP's 2020 option.  We've got lots of talent, injured talent, but still talent in Guice and Love.  Pair those two with the somehow immortal AP, and a load sharing deal with AP/Guice/Love just makes too much sense.  I think Barnwell views the Redskins as still a moronic cluster****, and he has to have some team spend big money on RB's, so why not them.

Barnwell says this:

Can you name the only cornerback with an average annual salary of $15 million? It's Josh Norman. Jalen Ramsey will likely sign a record-setting deal soon, but Harris might be the next to top that $15 million mark.

Did he not fact check?  Xavien Howard has the most expensive CB deal.

Interestingly.  It seems like CB value is stagnating.  Xavien Howard is going through a legal issue.  Then the #2 AAV is Norman, who is getting cut.  Then the #3 AAV is Trumaine Johnson, who Barnell thinks is getting cut.  Then the #4 AAV is Rhodes, who Barnwell also thinks is leaving his team.

This is a good year to want a CB in Free Agency.  We could likely find a bargain compared to what the contracts might be like in 2-3 years time.

@Alcoholic Zebra some of those numbers are a bit off from what I have seen but nothing too ridiculous.

We gotta remember that the top paid positions in the NFL are:

1. QB

2. Edge

3. WR

4. CB

5. OT

If we decide to draft a CB in the 3rd, WR in the 4th and Chase Young in the 1st we will have ...

QB: Haskins @ $5m when avg. starting QB salary is around $25m ... this will be even more valuable once we move on from Smith after 2020

WR: McLaurin, Rookie 4th, Harmon, Sims all making less than $800k with our lone expensive starter being Richardson ($8m) when the avg. WR1 makes $15-20m and the avg. WR2 usually falls in that $10-12m range

Edge: Chase Young and Montez Sweat both making between $4 and 7 million when the average high end pass rusher makes $15-22m

DT: Daron Payne, John Allen and Matt Ionidis all making less than $6m per year when the top flight DTs make $15-20m

We would be paying top dollar for our LT (Trent) and RT (Moses) but otherwise our major elite positons will be filled with high-end talent on rookie contracts.

Also ... CB ... our assets in FA will likely be going there.

$11 million for Hooper not surprising. I think Spotrac has him at $9.9m APY value ... Henry at $8.1m and Ebron at $7.5m

@Fresh8686 I am probably going Edwards there but thats because a lot of folsk on here are talking him up and convinced me he'd be a good add in the 3rd or 4th

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

So say we're at our 2nd 4th Round Pick (Pick 141) and you've got Bryan Edwards, Quintez Cephus, and Isaiah Hodgins available. Who do you choose?

Hodgins for me.  Basketball athlete with elite contested catch ability and body control.  Great size.  Excellent route tree with nasty cross over and double move arsenal.  Circus hands.  Changes directions and gears with no gather.

But if my guy Tyler Johnson is still on the board too, I might take him instead.  He's the one I've been targeting in the fourth round in most of the mock drafts I've been doing.

58 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hodgins for me.  Basketball athlete with elite contested catch ability and body control.  Great size.  Excellent route tree with nasty cross over and double move arsenal.  Circus hands.  Changes directions and gears with no gather.

But if my guy Tyler Johnson is still on the board too, I might take him instead.  He's the one I've been targeting in the fourth round in most of the mock drafts I've been doing.

Yup, Tyler was available with our first 4th rounder on most of the mocks I've done as well and a couple times he falls to our 2nd 4th. However, for some reason I'm reliably able to pick up Hodgins with our 5th which would be great value if that actually ends up happening.

Archived