Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How's the Redskins Roster shaping up?

Owls0325

The NFL's top offensive linemen in pure pass sets

6. G BRANDON SCHERFFWASHINGTON REDSKINS

Since being drafted in 2015, Brandon Scherff has quietly been rock solid on the interior offensive line for Washington, producing overall grades greater than 70.0 in his four seasons. Although his 2018 was cut short due to injury, he still went on to produce a career-best 84.0 pass-blocking grade, allowing nine total pressures on 301 pass-blocking snaps.

His 82.2 pass-blocking grade in pure passing sets was the best among all offensive guards last season. Getting Scherff back to 100% will be a major boost to the Redskins’ offensive line in 2019.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-top-pass-blockers-in-pure-pass-sets

17 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I see NO WAY we cut Doctson for a bunch of WRs with a history of injuries (Robinson, Davis Quinn). No matter what they do they're still potential liabilities. And like i said in another thread, he has played 2 seasons with 31 games, and been consistent in blocking and put up 35 & 500. Not top tier stats but more than anybody else has given us. Plus we save nothing by cutting him, other than swallowing a prospect on a rookie deal with potential that Gruden has talked about over and over. Nah, just don't see it happening. 

I do think that a trio of McLaurin, Doctson and Harmin is possible, with Richardson being hurt yet again, or just being benched or used as a gadget guy. I mean Richardson has put up 500 yards once in his career, Doctson has twice. But Richardson had 3 seasons with under 300 yards (including last year), say it's injuries all you want but Doctson has shown availability more than any other wr on this team (including Quinn, Davis, Richardson and Sims) 

And i like the potential of a to three of McLaurin, Doctson and Harmon. 

Another reason it would be stupid to cut him is his free agency is next year. He is almost certainly among our top 5 WRs right now (oh god) if we don't resign him next year (whether for lack of improvement or cost)  he goes into the comp equation. 

14 hours ago, joeken24 said:

The Redskins also picked up Kenny Britt in FA. Have a feeling that's camp fod to give Case a familiar WR. Either way, this is a tough one. I agree with the first four. But Cam Sims is outta here if the Redskins think they can stash him on the practice squad. To me, Davis is just a 6'3 player that looks the part but can't stay healthy. He was drafted in the 6th round for goodness sake. If he's healthy enough, give him and Chesson a fair look in the preseason. Move on if they only provide equal ability as the guys you just picked up. I agree, we've seen enough from Doctson even with the revolving door at the QB position.  I think you keep 5 WRs on the active roster -  the four you picked and C Sims.

The Redskins did not pick up Kenny Britt.

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

I was just saying that the guy is clearly taking care of himself.  Also, this is a good candidate for a transition to TE. 

I understand. It wasn't really directed at you, but a generalized question.

And what would motivate a WR to do that, if it's for football reasons, and not some personal choice.

Maybe you're right though, and he becomes the next Niles Paul, but hopefully better than that.

55 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I understand. It wasn't really directed at you, but a generalized question.

And what would motivate a WR to do that, if it's for football reasons, and not some personal choice.

Maybe you're right though, and he becomes the next Niles Paul, but hopefully better than that.

Well I think that if he transitions, with his skill set he could get a lot more playing time as TE.  Specifically if he can block.  He has receiving talents so if he can block then he could be an asset. 

6 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I was just saying that the guy is clearly taking care of himself.  Also, this is a good candidate for a transition to TE. 

I'm holding out hope that Robert Davis is this years version of Chris Thompson, a guy who battles through two years of injuries and then comes on and makes a huge impact. I really believe these WR's will look much better with Haskins and even with Keenum for different reasons. Haskins because of his big arm and ability to make all the throws and Keenum for his ability to run around and extend plays to allow the receivers to have more time to get open. I think Jay likes Robert Davis a lot and is gonna give him every opportunity to make the squad. 

6 hours ago, nonniey said:

Another reason it would be stupid to cut him is his free agency is next year. He is almost certainly among our top 5 WRs right now (oh god) if we don't resign him next year (whether for lack of improvement or cost)  he goes into the comp equation. 

I don't see keeping a guy around for a year just to possibly get a compensation pick. I understand the logic but if we have 5 or 6 guys that out play Doc then why cut one or two of them to hold on to a guy who you've already decided to move on from in a year? For me, imo, Doc needs to stay on the field this camp and make an impact. If he comes up lame again, misses a lot of camp and others are playing well I absolutely see that as a scenario to move on from him either in a trade or an outright release.

Don’t sleep on the UDFA McIntosh. He was hurt by his 40 time which was 4.61 but he started all four years at Washington in a fairly talented secondary. I like that bc having lots of playing time especially in the Pac 10 is a positive. 

I could see him being the backup to Nicholson instead of Apke. Apke is fast but that’s all he has. I have a buddy who’s a big Penn State fan and wasn’t impressed by him. Last year he looked completely out of place and didn’t look like could tackle. Maybe he takes a step forward in his 2nd year but watch McIntosh who looks like he likes to hit. 

37 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Don’t sleep on the UDFA McIntosh. He was hurt by his 40 time which was 4.61 but he started all four years at Washington in a fairly talented secondary. I like that bc having lots of playing time especially in the Pac 10 is a positive. 

I could see him being the backup to Nicholson instead of Apke. Apke is fast but that’s all he has. I have a buddy who’s a big Penn State fan and wasn’t impressed by him. Last year he looked completely out of place and didn’t look like could tackle. Maybe he takes a step forward in his 2nd year but watch McIntosh who looks like he likes to hit. 

His pro day was shockingly poor, but some guys are just players, hopefully he’s one of them, the UW secondary is filthy.

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't see keeping a guy around for a year just to possibly get a compensation pick. I understand the logic but if we have 5 or 6 guys that out play Doc then why cut one or two of them to hold on to a guy who you've already decided to move on from in a year?

Who has outplayed Doc? I really don't get this. I know he hasn't shown to be a top WR, but he's put up the best numbers on the team at WR of the guys we have left. Everybody else other than the rookies have had either just as many or more injuries as Doctson. Sure there's potential, but there's more potential with Doctson, hence him being a first rounder. That's why you don't cut him. If he can get some chemistry with whoever is at QB he still can be a threat. But even if not he has shown the ability to be a500 yard guy, and that's not something anybody else has shown. 

10 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I'm not a fan of merely safeties that can hit, especially not when we've already got Collins, Everett and a bunch of other big physical corners. I want speed and range. Hopefully Apke can learn to read a qb and stuff but I'm not a fan of seeing a 4.5 - 4.6 guy at FS try to cover center field. 

23 hours ago, nonniey said:

Unless he has a breakout year it's hard to see Doctson getting the kind of contract in free agency which will factor into us getting a comp pick for him. If he DOES have a breakout season then he might not see free agency.

Either way Doctson is playing for his future this season.

Well, someone "notable" is going to get cut from our WR group.

And by "notable", I don't mean superstar, but I mean someone who you could easily conceive making the team.

There is a logjam of guys are closely leveled as far as talent.

A name that hasn't been brought up as a possible cut, and I wonder about, is Paul Richardson.

He's been injury prone, and never really has been consistent. And his role could be taken by Quinn.

Maybe it's crazy to consider, I'm just puttin it out there. Anybody here know what the cap hit would be, to cut Richardson ?

So, here are the guys I referred to above as "notable", and by the definition I used.

Doctson, Richardson, Quinn, Sims, McLaurin, Harmon, Davis

That's 7 receivers that all have a high chance of making it, and would all be at least a small surprise if they were cut.

And we're not keeping 7, so at least one of them has to go.

Yes, some are eligible for PS, but they also would be high risk for that. And we still have players beyond those 7 that have a reasonable chance to make it.

Of those 7, I think Davis and Sims are the most likely to get cut.  One of them has to show something big in camp and preseason.

I hope and believe we keep 6. My prediction would be Davis, finally healthy, shows up big, and earns a spot, and Sims goes to the PS, simply because they

have no other choice. Or those 2 names could very easily be reversed

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

A name that hasn't been brought up as a possible cut, and I wonder about, is Paul Richardson.

He's been injury prone, and never really has been consistent. And his role could be taken by Quinn.

Richardson would be a $13M dead cap hit to cut (though you could spread that over two years). He is also not a slot guy - he's an outside 'Z ' type who can stretch the field. Quinn is not that - he's a slot guy. The guy who will push for Richardsons playing time and (maybe) job next season is McLaurin. 

Richardson is not going anywhere this year.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Unless he has a breakout year it's hard to see Doctson getting the kind of contract in free agency which will factor into us getting a comp pick for him. If he DOES have a breakout season then he might not see free agency.

Really? Mo Harris got us a comp pick and so did Ty Nseke, and they were backups. Doctson is young and has big play potential. He could easily get us a comp pick. 

People are just selling him short for whatever reason, but if he leaves we'll get a comp pick (unless it cancels out) 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's 7 receivers that all have a high chance of making it, and would all be at least a small surprise if they were cut.

And we're not keeping 7, so at least one of them has to go.

Yes, some are eligible for PS, but they also would be high risk for that. And we still have players beyond those 7 that have a reasonable chance to make it.

Of those 7, I think Davis and Sims are the most likely to get cut.  One of them has to show something big in camp and preseason.

I hope and believe we keep 6. My prediction would be Davis, finally healthy, shows up big, and earns a spot, and Sims goes to the PS, simply because they

I agree with this logic but i could honestly see them putting Sims above Davis simply because of number of injuries and them being less afraid of him being picked up by someone. But i could also see both getting cut and us going with 5 (and possibly something like 4 TEs) or even Chesson getting a spot because of teams and to develop. 

I think the WR position has changed from last year where we don't need to be as afraid of losing guys at the bottom of our roster. Chesson can contribute every game and that's important. 

But the question about these roster battles is always injuries, will a position group have a lot of small injuries that cause us to need to do some shuffling while they get healthy. I assume so because it always does. If so, i think there is so much potential and unproven guys at WR that it's the most fluctuating position in terms of guys we could cut or start. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Really? Mo Harris got us a comp pick and so did Ty Nseke, and they were backups. Doctson is young and has big play potential. He could easily get us a comp pick. 

People are just selling him short for whatever reason, but if he leaves we'll get a comp pick (unless it cancels out) 

Comp picks are awarded based on playing time, post season awards and the contract that is signed with the new team. 

Neither Harris or Nseke got us a comp pick 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

29 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Comp picks are awarded based on playing time, post season awards and the contract that is signed with the new team. 

Neither Harris or Nseke got us a comp pick 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

https://overthecap.com/2020-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5-13-2019/

• Washington: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie came out of retirement just before the start of new league year, and was classified as an Unrestricted Free Agent. If the 33 year old cannot justify even his minimum salary benefit deal of $1.075 million, the Redskins could cut him and open up a 6th round comp pick for Ty Nsekhe.

And Mo Harris was due to get us one when he initially signed it. Not saying it matters much but just that people are underestimating Doctson's value to this team. I know he hasn't produced like a star WR, but that doesn't mean he isn't valuable to us, and it certainly doesn't mean that another team won't want a big fast wr who has played 31 of the last 32 games. He definitely has far to go, and that's why he probably gets a mid tier contract that says we see value in you, but not top value. Heck we have Richardson 28 mil and he hasnt produced anything. 

18 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yes he's been injury prone.  That's probably why the Redskins gave him $40M contract.  With his career stats they're paying $10M per Touchdown.  How did that happen?!?

He did break his collar bone and tried to play through it, as well he has a knack for getting open.  I hope he puts together a string of games where he can be of some sort of value. 

I like his play, when he's playing but wow, just can't justify whomever gave him that BS contract.  His agent must be enjoying his Lambo! Richardson enjoying his boat load of money while he actually works 2 months of the year.  What a racket! 

On 5/29/2019 at 1:09 AM, Thinking Skins said:

Who has outplayed Doc? I really don't get this. I know he hasn't shown to be a top WR, but he's put up the best numbers on the team at WR of the guys we have left. Everybody else other than the rookies have had either just as many or more injuries as Doctson. Sure there's potential, but there's more potential with Doctson, hence him being a first rounder. That's why you don't cut him. If he can get some chemistry with whoever is at QB he still can be a threat. But even if not he has shown the ability to be a500 yard guy, and that's not something anybody else has shown. 

I agree with you, and no one has outplayed Doc yet....all I'm saying is that if he doesn't have a good camp, is injured again, and we have 6 other guys who are standing out, then I could see Doc moving on. We've already failed to commit to him past this year. Everyone who blames the QB for not getting Doc involved is only looking at this from one side. Obviously, by the organization refusing to pick up his option, they feel it's more than just the QB play that's holding him back. Josh Doctson needs to demand the football and do something with it when they throw it to him. Since the day he's been in DC he's been a question mark who has never had a real sustained run of production. Is it all his fault? No. Is some of it on him? Yes. 

I'm a fan of Doc and rooting for him. I bought my son his jersey. But I don't see how there's no way the Skins don't cut him, 1st round pick be damned. They released their best safety last year for no compensation so I don't see why they'd keep Doc over someone who could be outplaying him. We'll see. I'm pulling for him but I'm also being realistic based on what he's done so far.

22 hours ago, MartinC said:

Exactly.  He has to earn his pay and he'll be given every opportunity to do just that.  

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yes he's been injury prone.  That's probably why the Redskins gave him $40M contract.  With his career stats they're paying $10M per Touchdown.  How did that happen?!?

He did break his collar bone and tried to play through it, as well he has a knack for getting open.  I hope he puts together a string of games where he can be of some sort of value. 

I like his play, when he's playing but wow, just can't justify whomever gave him that BS contract.  His agent must be enjoying his Lambo! Richardson enjoying his boat load of money while he actually works 2 months of the year.  What a racket! 

Skins are more likely to get the most out of Richardson if they keep him clean.  That is, don't call plays for him to catch passes in the middle where he will take hits from LBs and bigger safeties.  Just stretch the field and let the bigger, and less injury prone, WRs make their living by moving the chains.  

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree with you, and no one has outplayed Doc yet....all I'm saying is that if he doesn't have a good camp, is injured again, and we have 6 other guys who are standing out, then I could see Doc moving on. We've already failed to commit to him past this year. Everyone who blames the QB for not getting Doc involved is only looking at this from one side. Obviously, by the organization refusing to pick up his option, they feel it's more than just the QB play that's holding him back. Josh Doctson needs to demand the football and do something with it when they throw it to him. Since the day he's been in DC he's been a question mark who has never had a real sustained run of production. Is it all his fault? No. Is some of it on him? Yes. 

I'm a fan of Doc and rooting for him. I bought my son his jersey. But I don't see how there's no way the Skins don't cut him, 1st round pick be damned. They released their best safety last year for no compensation so I don't see why they'd keep Doc over someone who could be outplaying him. We'll see. I'm pulling for him but I'm also being realistic based on what he's done so far.

You do not know that he hasn't done that behind closed doors. I do not know that he has, but he is not an in the public kind of person. He very well could have been and is still asking to get him the ball. 

As for doing something when he gets it - he had 3 drops in 78 targets - that puts him about 70th is drop % (I realize you did not say drops specifically. As for injuries - he had almost double the snaps of any receiver on the team. In fact his 846 snaps was 10th on the team, 3rd among those who did not have any STs snaps. He was 30th in snaps for all WRs and TEs in the NFL. He was available. However he was 69th in targets. Here is something interesting - Jordan Reed had 511 snaps - he had 84 targets - and BTW he also had 3 drops. Don't hear much about him having drops. So no, he was not getting the ball.

I am NOT saying it's all the QB - and I saw you say it's not all him. So we are in agreement. His lack of production is both on him and on the QBs. But his skill set is to go up and get balls. But both QBs he has had are scared to death to throw a ball to anyone not 100% open. That will change this year. We will see what happens with QBs who are more willing to give WRs a chance to make a play. Both Keenum and Haskins will sling the rock.  Even Colt would be an improvement - I do not think it's a coincidence that Josh's highest # of receptions for a single game was the one game Colt McCoy started from start to finish.  

This is a make or break year for Josh for sure, in many ways. Certainly here in Wash. But honestly if he can;t get some type of rhythm going with whoever starts, they will need to move on from him. 

But he will not be cut - that is about an absolute as you can get - barring something crazy. I could see him getting replaced by the end of the season if he is not producing. Let's the young guys have a go, especially since at that time you wold be letting him walk at the end of the season. But there is zero value at this point in cutting him. 

23 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I honestly don't know what people see in Davis.  He's big, fast, explosive, tests fantastic at the combine, etc etc...but you don't see that athleticism on the field.  His ability to run routes is more like what everyone thinks DK Metcalf's ability to run routes is.  He's stiff, has no wiggle, and runs fast in a straight line.

There have been too many 50/50 balls thrown to Davis that he doesn't come back and fight the DB for.  He's someone who is not a contested catch guy, but rather a box out and have it drop in his breadbasket type of guy.

We'll find out what everyone's status is in camp.  Usually it's 25 on offense and 25 on defense.  Let's assume 25 on defense.

OL = 9 (8 is too thin):  Starting 5 (Trent, Wes?, Chase, Scherff, Moses), backup swing OT (Geron), backup OT/G (Flowers and/or Catalina), backup G/C (Pierschbacher and/or Bergstrom)

TE = 4: Reed, Vernon, Sprinkle, Flanagan

RB = 3 or 4: Peterson, Thompson, Guice...and what happens with Love?  If he's not healthy, then PUP, but if he is...he can't risk the practice squad.

QB = 2 or 3: Haskins, Keenum...and the coaches love McCoy.

Now we get to WR's, and from the above anywhere between 18 spots to 20 spots have been taken.

23 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There is a logjam of guys are closely leveled as far as talent.

I see a possibility that only 5 WR's make the team.  As you mentioned, there are several guys who are all close in talent.  Key thing to factor in here, our WR group is not talented, we've got a whole lot of guys who could be high quality 3rd options on other teams.  Why keep 6 or 7 WR's at the expense of other positions when the last two are clear dropoffs talent wise from a group that's already got a low ceiling.

I could even see a situation where we only go 24 on offense to get 1 extra guy on defense.  Usually you keep a combined 10 DB's.  Our Safety situation seems locked at 4, so that leaves 6 for CB, but I can see us going for 7.  Norman, Dunbar, Moreau are locks.  Then we've got Stroman, DRC, Moreland, Danny Johnson, and Adonis Alexander.

I'd argue the potential of those CB's on the bubble is higher than the potential of the WR's on the bubble.  So wouldn't it make sense to keep 1 more CB instead of WR?

Archived