Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

6 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Team won't do that.

They can make him play and tag him twice for far less. Terry would loose 20M. We've already been over this, read the thread.

If he sat 11 games this year (think it's still 6 to get full season), what makes you think he would play a full season on the tag?  They can't force him to play full season.  

You'll end up with another Trent williams like situation and lots more bad blood for other negotiations. 

Terry has zero reason to suit up until week 12 without a deal this year (and likely any franchise tag year).   You think we would tag him after playing 6 of 17?   What if we made playoffs and he sat out then since it's not counted towards a full season?  At some point having the franchise tag game as leverage simply isn't an option. 

If it comes to that and we're trading him for less because teams know we lost leverage it won't just be Bruce Allen that screwed up a players value. 

Edit: if we do this and we fight through that partial season, he's less likely to do with guaranteed tag years.  But I still think that is the bad play. 

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Free Terry and trade him to a real team.

You know, at this point, with the ownership and this horrible rebrand, I am torn between wanting Terry to leave and him being re-signed. Reason being, I think I would finally be able to stop being a fan of this mess if they dont re-sign him.

I really should've been able to when Cousins left. I'm ashamed of myself for sitting through Alex Smith, even though I knew he was average at best and hated that trade with every fiber of my being.

I like Terry McClaurin enough that I'm hoping that'll be the final straw.

****in' Commanders is such a terrible thing, I don't even say it aloud. The owner is....the owner. These jerseys are ****ing hideous. The DC is fighting a culture war on twitter for some reason. How could anyone blame Terry for not wanting to play here?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Another thing that possibly could be playing into the possibility of Dan being cash strapped at the moment was redoing the field at Fed Ex last offseason. On top of the obvious big new fancy loan he had to take out he also dropped 250 million to completely rebuild the field from the bottom up. Thats not exactly chump change.

As far as Ron as you pointed out.  Logan Thomas, Chase, Jonathan Allen.  Offering top of the market deal for Scherff.  Ron has worked to keep his own.   It's clearly something that he pushes. 

For those who imply $875 million loan, potentially 2 billion for a stadium, failed outside businesses -- none of that effects Dan financially with the team where anything is different.  I think they are likely wrong using just very basic math.  But if I am entertaining another reason, Plan B, I do think the idea of making interest on his money to drag these deals out until the summer as Albert Breer directly said and said so specifically in the context of the Terry deal -- is also IMO a strong possibility.  For us that sounds nuts, how much interest can you make?  But yeah 75 million give or take of money that it likely takes out of Dan circulation wise instantly (between guaranteed and signing bonuses), almost twice the cost of his house, is a good amount of change to make money off of.   And Breer isn't the only one who said that sports owners like to do this. 

It's very rare for these resignings not to happen in the summer.  Chase being an exception and ironically that one didn't have a lot of guaranteed money in that contract.  Logan Thomas -- summer.  Jonathan Allen -- summer.  Kerrigan and Trent which were a lot of money relateively speaking at the time -- summer.  Heck even their best offer supposedly for Kirk at the time -- summer. 

I don't think its because Bruce and Ron are both dudes who love the sun and love to take action then especially considering they aren't even the ones directly doing the neogtiation.  Also, Albert Breer doesn't talk about subjects for just random spit ball reasons.   He's much like Keim on that front. 

The other reason could be as Mike Lombardi suggested is that teams gets increments of revenue at different times and some owners rely on that more than others.  I forgot exactly how the cycle works but if I recall Dan is poised to get a cash infusion from the NFL sooner than later as the start of the season approaches.    Or it could be a little of all of that.  That's what I think.

The only reason why I bring up the Dan angle here is I do think for the very reason that deal was likely delayed because of him also is the very reason why I think they now get it done.  The timing now is likely better for Dan.  And if so that's a big hurdle to get out of the way.  Dan is big time dummy IMO, he ran this team in the ground in ways that the average 3rd grader could have avoided.  Bad dude.  Bad instincts.  But I don't think even his stupidity reaches this type of depth where he doesn't get the repercussions of losing Terry.

This team already is developing the reputation of being the Sibera of the NFL.  Worst owner.  Worst stadium.  Worst facilities.  One of the most shrinking fan bases.  Constant scandals and distractions.    The idea of elite players with some say of where they want to go coming here is almost comical.  they probably had to make that trade for Wentz and offer what they did because Wentz probably wouldn't want to come here if he was released or had a no trade clause.  Losing their best player IMO would be a signal both to the rest of the league and to this team's fanbase that this team is a big time loser.

I will feel differently if this drags into training camp.  But right now my level of worry is almost nill. Some others take my shot here at Dan as meaning that i don't think they get a deal done.  But actually its the opposite.  My shot at Dan is totally driven by the delay, I think the delay was baked into the cake hence I am not worried about it.  I don't think its been a random coincidence that BOTH regimes have mostly worked this stuff out in the summer, right before camp.  I doubt this one ends up differently.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Michael Phillips was on The Junkies this morning and said one change owners hate was the guaranteed amounts in contracts require checks be cut and and put to the side.  He brought up for example Wentz has no guaranteed money in his contract.

He also mentioned they slow played Jon Allen's contract last year.  Think it's already been discussed in this thread but thought I would mentioned it. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/6/12/23165263/report-terry-mclaurin-not-expected-at-mandatory-minicamp-this-week

Just a year ago, defensive captain Jonathan Allen missed a week of OTAs in frustration over his contract negotiations, but ended up signing a 4-year, $72m extension the day before training camp. At this point, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Terry McLaurin ends up doing something similar.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

One reason I don’t totally buy that the team is just waiting on money to come available is that McClaurin is holding out. If they were just waiting then they could reach an understanding or a handshake deal. Maybe Terry would be standing on the sidelines and not practicing, but he’d be present. 

It’s pretty clear that right now there is no deal and from what we understand the sides are far apart. That suggests that whatever the hang up is it is bigger than waiting for a check to clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not that I think this happens because I believe Terry will get signed but this is interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-the-nfls-top-10-duos-chiefs-andy-reid-patrick-mahomes-beat-out-packers-rams-for-no-1-spot/

Agent's Take: Why holding out during training camp is no longer a bargaining tool for today's NFL stars

Players in the final year of a four-year rookie contract (i.e.; second through seventh-round picks) should probably walk a fine line with a "hold in." There's language in the CBA about not earning an accrued season (year of service for free agency) with a failure to perform contract services for a material perform of time. Without the fourth accrued season, a player would be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his rookie contract. Getting the year of service isn't a concern for players with four or more accrued seasons since they already have enough service time to qualify for unrestricted free agency at the end of a contract.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This team already is developing the reputation of being the Sibera of the NFL.  Worst owner.  Worst stadium.  Worst facilities.  One of the most shrinking fan bases.  Constant scandals and distractions.    The idea of elite players with some say of where they want to go coming here is almost comical.  they probably had to make that trade for Wentz and offer what they did because Wentz probably wouldn't want to come here if he was released or had a no trade clause.  Losing their best player IMO would be a signal both to the rest of the league and to this team's fanbase that this team is a big time loser.

I will feel differently if this drags into training camp.  But right now my level of worry is almost nill. Some others take my shot here at Dan as meaning that i don't think they get a deal done.  But actually its the opposite.  My shot at Dan is totally driven by the delay, I think the delay was baked into the cake hence I am not worried about it.  I don't think its been a random coincidence that BOTH regimes have mostly worked this stuff out in the summer, right before camp.  I doubt this one ends up differently.   

Totally agree with this. In a typical situation the team would hold all the leverage with the upcoming potential of the franchise tag. But Terrys situation might be almost wholly unique. He has a lot more leverage than a typical player in his situation for all the reasons you just stated as well as the ones I stated above. Terry is very likely more valuable to this franchise than probably any other team in the entire league. Id guarantee his agent knows that and is using every bit of that to his advantage. This isnt a typical negotiation for that fact alone. So while I agree with VOR that I dont think theres any way Terry can play on current deal I think there is a lot more nuance to this negotiation than what is normal. Also playing a role here could be Terrys age from his perspective. Hes hitting the market for the first time at 27. It could affect how him and his agent look at the number of years on the contract.

Edited by Mrshadow008
  • Like 1

Ok, seeing Nicki's full tweet, I am less concerned. I saw people focusing on the "far apart" aspect and ignore the "there has been some progress" as well. My heart sank--and I rarely have much emotion with this team anymore--when I initially saw people tweeting out the "far apart," which for me is a big red flag. I still think they get this done. Ron is not Bruce. If they don't, man, that will be a tough pill to swallow.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Totally agree with this. In a typical situation the team would hold all the leverage with the franchise tag with the upcoming potential of the franchise tag. But Terrys situation might be almost wholly unique. He has a lot more leverage than a typical player in his situation for all the reasons you just stated as well as the ones I stated above. Terry is very likely more valuable to this franchise than probably any other team in the entire league. Id guarantee his agent knows that and is using every bit of that to his advantage. This isnt a typical negotiation for that fact alone. So while I agree with VOR that I dont think theres any way Terry can play on current deal I think there is a lot more nuance to this negotiation that what is normal. Also playing a role here could be Terrys age from his perspective. Hes hitting the market for the first time at 27. It could affect how him and his agent look at the number of years on the contract.

Based on what Ron has pushed for other players, I don't get the sense that he has that Bruce Allen low ball style as far offers that Cooley once described in detail from his own experiences.

I do believe the delay in the negotiations was very likely driven by Dan for reasons I explained.  But now that there are at the golden time when Dan has typically made his deals like this -- I'd guess the negotiations are serious.

A wild guess would be Terry's agent holding out for AJ Brown type of money and them responding with something like 20 million like the D. Moore deal and they are at an impasse until one side blinks.

If Dan's ego is involved in this.  As i mentioned, them delaying these negotiations until the summer hasn't arguably burned them in the past for major money so hence their comfort in playing this game. 

But this time the punt the contract until the summer burned them big time.  So I wonder if there is some face saving trying to be done here.  For example, I'd put money they taked about this at the start of the off season where they discussed paying Terry 18 million or 20 million tops.  But now that game changed.  And if the game changed because of a calculated wait driven by Dan -- then it might be knawing at Dan where they are trying to save face with the negotiation where the goal is it doesn't end up costing them that much more for waiting.  If so I hope not -- its spilled milk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

One reason I don’t totally buy that the team is just waiting on money to come available is that McClaurin is holding out. If they were just waiting then they could reach an understanding or a handshake deal. Maybe Terry would be standing on the sidelines and not practicing, but he’d be present. 

It’s pretty clear that right now there is no deal and from what we understand the sides are far apart. That suggests that whatever the hang up is it is bigger than waiting for a check to clear. 

No one I can tell is making the case that they are waiting on Terry now.  The waiting already happened.   Beat guys said from the jump of the off season said they heard the negotiations will happen seriously after the draft -- likely in the summer, not before that.  Ron said the same.

What we are debating is that waiting for the off season to play out versus getting a deal done at the time -- cost the team money.  Heck if all they did was negotiate after the dam was starting to break in the WR contracts ala when the Panthers got their deal done with D. Moore would have likely saved them money.

But they telegraphed that this deal would be done after the draft -- likely in the summer.  And that's how it played out.  So here we are.   But yeah now I don't think anyone believes they are still waiting -- they are clearly negotiating. 

All this waiting around for Doofus Dan to maximize his profits sure does cost the team a lot of cap room, but "All he wants to do is win!"

He's winning, meanwhile the team is the only one in the sport to not win 11 games in 30 years!

52 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Michael Phillips was on The Junkies this morning and said one change owners hate was the guaranteed amounts in contracts require checks be cut and and put to the side.  He brought up for example Wentz has no guaranteed money in his contract.

He also mentioned they slow played Jon Allen's contract last year.  Think it's already been discussed in this thread but thought I would mentioned it. 

Once I understood that the owner has to pay both the full signing bonus and have to escrow all of the guaranteed money that was a game changer for me in understanding what it meant about the advantage of llquid owners versus nonliquid owners.  Some here I gather seem to think i am just randomly taking a shot at Dan and he's an easy target because of all the rest of the crap surrounding him.  But for me this is nothing to do with hating Dan. 

It makes more sense to me now that owners with successful businesses outside of the team have an advantage if they want to exploit that advantage.   When you pay a big contract to name that player -- the pain isn't really spread out over the length of the contract.  The cap pain is but not the owner's money.  The actual money pain for the owner is absorbed almost fully at once. 

I've heard the PFF cap guy explain this, Joel Corry ex-agent among others.  But lol, I finally got it.  The kicker for me was Breer writing about how numerous owners (suggesting not just Dan) like to wait on in house contracts in part to make interest on their money.  It brought me back to an article about the Lehner's obsession with that very thing.

It doesn't mean Dan is in the poor house.  But do i believe Kroenke's off field financial prowess gives him an advantage in FA and his ability to manipulate the cap over Dan.  Yes i do.   To me its just brings home a bit that Dan's failed outside businesses might actually matter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Once I understood that the owner has to pay both the full signing bonus and have to escrow all of the guaranteed money that was a game changer for me in understanding what it meant about the advantage of llquid owners versus nonliquid owners.  Some here I gather seem to think i am just randomly taking a shot at Dan and he's an easy target because of all the rest of the crap surrounding him.  But for me this is nothing to do with hating Dan. 

It makes more sense to me now that owners with successful businesses outside of the team have an advantage if they want to exploit that advantage.   When you pay a big contract to name that player -- the pain isn't really spread out over the length of the contract.  The cap pain is but not the owner's money.  The actual money pain for the owner is absorbed almost fully at once. 

I've heard the PFF cap guy explain this, Joel Corry ex-agent among others.  But lol, I finally got it.  The kicker for me was Breer writing about how numerous owners (suggesting not just Dan) like to wait on in house contracts in part to make interest on their money.  It brought me back to an article about the Lehner's obsession with that very thing.

It doesn't mean Dan is in the poor house.  But do i believe Kroenke's off field financial prowess gives him an advantage in FA and his ability to manipulate the cap over Dan.  Yes i do.   To me its just brings home a bit that Dan's failed outside businesses might actually matter. 

I find it so strange that people are so ferociously defending Snyder's liquid financial standing.

I am with you. I have been.

I think Dan is asset rich and cash poor (in context poor. He could spend money on things I can't dream of. But versus other owners, contextually, he is [this is conjecture] cash poor). We can't sign players that we want in the "new" financial climate of the NFL due to the amount of guaranteed money and immediate cash that is necessary to "beat the cap". It's no coincidence that the big spending slowed when more guaranteed money became a big factor in these deals. 

I'm not sure what evidence there is to say that Snyder is liquid.

Keep in mind, he also has all sorts of cash tied up in lawsuits, the rebrand, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpacePenguin said:

How could anyone blame Terry for not wanting to play here?

To me, this seems like it's most likely the sticking point in negotiations.

Even if the money is close, Terry -- who is by all accounts a good dude with a level-head -- may just not want to want to stick around and spend the bulk of his career, including his prime years physically and for earning, on this team. I know I wouldn't.  Just like Cousins and Scherff, Terry may have his agent working on the most profitable possible exit from WAS, not signing a LTD with this team.

• Thanks 1

I have absolutely no idea what if any impacts Dan’s liquidity has on Terry’s contract situation.

But as a betting man, I’d place a large wager on the issues being directly related to Dan rather than Rivera and the gang simply playing hardball.

There is absolutely more at play here than simple negotiations.  In fact, it’s embarrassing but what’s new?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

If he sat 11 games this year (think it's still 6 to get full season), what makes you think he would play a full season on the tag?  They can't force him to play full season

So if he did that, 2 things:

1. he wouldn’t get his salary this year of $2.7M.  He’d get partial, whatever that is.  

2. If he sat out while on the tag, he wouldn’t get his salary of ~$20M. And then the team could tag him again.  Again, it’s by game check. 

He’s not sitting out.  He would lose so much money. And he’d still be under team control for 3 more years.  He’d lose the prime of his career, both from a productivity and earning perspective.

Let me state this clearly:  he has absolutely no financial leverage.

He has massive “other”leverage.  He’s part of the rebrand, he’s possibly the. Eat player on the team, he’s a fan favorite, and they want him here so they can be better this year.  

He has leverage in those ways.  Is that the same as financial leverage?  I dunno.  i don’t think so.  I think the prospect of losing $20M in career earnings is more leverage.  But I’ll hear you out if you disagree on that one.  

I remain confident this gets done.  The reason being it just makes too much sense for it to get done and no sense for it not to.  

Though until somebody reports otherwise, I’m putting this as my first big black mark against Ron.  This was not well handled and as Michael Philips put it, was a total unforced error.  

If it turns out to be Dan, in my opinion, that’s worse.  So I hope it’s not.  

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Though until somebody reports otherwise, I’m putting this as my first big black mark against Ron.  This was not well handled and as Michael Philips put it, was a total unforced error.  

Keep that blindfold on tight VOR! It can get scary out here!  :ols:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

My guess is that Terry’s agent is asking for way over the top contract terms.

My guess is Terry knows his relative worth on this team and is asking for bank, but is also asking for an "out," knowing a ****storm is brewing on the horizon and I'd be surprised if this coaching staff would still be here two years from now.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/6/12/23165263/report-terry-mclaurin-not-expected-at-mandatory-minicamp-this-week

Just a year ago, defensive captain Jonathan Allen missed a week of OTAs in frustration over his contract negotiations, but ended up signing a 4-year, $72m extension the day before training camp. At this point, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Terry McLaurin ends up doing something similar.

I listened to that.  He also made these points.

A.  Guaranteed money requires the owners to pay the money up front, all of it, and some owners really really don't like that.

B.  Dan has not given out much guaranteed money this off season.  Even the Wentz contract relatively speaking doesn't have that much guaranteed for a three year contract as for what's left.  I'd add (my point here not Phillips) that some wonder why not extend Wentz's contract to buy more cap room.  Some say its because they want that exit ramp if need be.  That's certainly possible.  But another counter point to that would be to extend Wentz's contract the odds would be that would require a raise and additional guaranteed money.

C.  He also said the stadium situation and Dan being stingy this off season might go hand in hand. 

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

My guess is that Terry’s agent is asking for way over the top contract terms.

At this point he should be asking for crazy numbers. Other receivers have been given crazy money for proving much less, even switching teams.

Imagine Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball. Would it be much different than Adams? If he was given 50 more targets from a much more accurate QB his numbers would probably be similar.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to that.  He also made these points.

A.  Guaranteed money requires the owners to pay the money up front, all of it, and some owners really really don't like that.

B.  Dan has not given out much guaranteed money this off season.  Even the Wentz contract relatively speaking doesn't have that much guaranteed for a three year contract as for what's left.  I'd add (my point here not Phillips) that some wonder why not extend Wentz's contract to buy more cap room.  Some say its because they want that exit ramp if need be.  That's certainly possible.  But another counter point to that would be to extend Wentz's contract the odds would be that would require a raise and additional guaranteed money.

C.  He also said the stadium situation and Dan being stingy this off season might go hand in hand. 

To your point, last week I listened to Cowherd talk about how much money the Rams are spending on these contracts and he talked about the large amounts of revenue in California markets.  Pretty sure he was talking about "local" revenue the owners make vs "national" revenue the league doles out to each team.  It makes sense that local revenue is what might be effecting Snyder and lagging contracts.  For example, I read the Cowboys (Jones) got $575 million in 2020 in local revenues.  As I understand that, it goes directly to the team.

Back to Terry (fan favorite), he's the type of player that could help "local" revenue obviously along with winning.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/a-complete-breakdown-of-nfl-team?s=r

From a revenue perspective, here’s a simple breakdown of how the money flows from league offices to individual teams & players:

• National revenue distribution percentages are agreed upon in the CBA

• Teams currently get roughly 52% of national revenue

• Players currently get roughly 48% of national revenue

• National revenue consists of TV contracts, NFL licensing, NFL merchandise, etc.

• Teams also make local revenue, which varies from team to team.

• Local revenue consists of ticket sales, parking, concessions, luxury suites, etc.

Last year, each team was distributed $296M from the league office - which means the NFL made nearly $9.5 billion in national revenue alone.

Given local revenue is specific to each team, we saw a much greater variation. The Dallas Cowboys led the league with $575M, and the Cincinnati Bengals came in last with only $108M. So while both teams brought in just shy of $300M from the league, the Cowboys produced over half a billion dollars more from local markets.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

To your point, last week I listened to Cowherd talk about how much money the Rams are spending on these contracts and he talked about the large amounts of revenue in California markets.  Pretty sure he was talking about "local" revenue the owners make vs "national" revenue the league doles out to each team.  It makes sense that local revenue is what might be effecting Snyder and lagging contracts.  For example, I read the Cowboys (Jones) got $575 million in 2020 in local revenues.  As I understand that, it goes directly to the team.

It was also explained that they get their revenue in big increments from the league but there is a spread of time in between those increments.  Forgot when the increments happen but Mike Lombardi explained it well on a radio broadcast recently and that it does influence the financial behavior of some owners. 

I don't think its a wild and crazy thought that a dude who has almost a billion dollar outstanding loan and has to pay for a new stadium out of his own pocket where at a minimum he likely has to put out a big sum to secure the land ala the $100 million contingent buy in Woodbridge and likely some intial start up construction money -- might actually not have the best liquidity situation.   And if he had other successful businesses where his net worth isn't so dependant on the team, he likely would have much more liquidity.

With all of that I still think they get it done with Terry but I am buying the idea that the delay was Dan driven.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So if he did that, 2 things:

1. he wouldn’t get his salary this year of $2.7M.  He’d get partial, whatever that is.  

2. If he sat out while on the tag, he wouldn’t get his salary of ~$20M. And then the team could tag him again.  Again, it’s by game check. 

He’s not sitting out.  He would lose so much money. And he’d still be under team control for 3 more years.  He’d lose the prime of his career, both from a productivity and earning perspective.

Let me state this clearly:  he has absolutely no financial leverage.

He has massive “other”leverage.  He’s part of the rebrand, he’s possibly the. Eat player on the team, he’s a fan favorite, and they want him here so they can be better this year.  

He has leverage in those ways.  Is that the same as financial leverage?  I dunno.  i don’t think so.  I think the prospect of losing $20M in career earnings is more leverage.  But I’ll hear you out if you disagree on that one.  

I remain confident this gets done.  The reason being it just makes too much sense for it to get done and no sense for it not to.  

Trent Williams "wasn't sitting out" either.   We heard that over and over. 

If they won't give him the ~20 mill you say he'll never get back (which i completely agree),  the ~1.8mill lost to sit 11 of 17 to force a trade may very well be worth it.  Gets him away from this team in 2023 and on to a team that will guarantee more.   

Playing this year at 2.7mill should be an absolute last option for him.   New contact, willing trade, hold out to force trade or play in that order.  If the Commanders are unwilling to step up and get him that ~20mill he needs to go towards the more drastic measure to make sure it does happen. 

I still think this is more timing and it won't come to this.   But with Trent and CB I don't want to bother to search for, he (edit: he being Ron) didn't take long to trade.   I don't think he needs to hold out.   I think he needs to be clear and willing to do so. 

Edited by CommDownMan