Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It can’t happen and you should stop saying it can happen.  They can’t franchise him this year.  He still has a year left on his deal snd there is literally no way he plays on his current deal this year.  

None.

In order for them to franchise him he would have to play on his current deal which can’t happen.

Now, this is important to note: the TEAM has the financial leverage here.  Because if Terry plays hard bal, they can say, “ok play your current deal out and we’ll franchise you twice.”

Which is why I think a deal gets done.  Terry doesn’t want that.  The team has the leverage and both sides want the deal.

Also, you keep saying as a definitive fact Dan has money issues.  It’s never been reported.  It’s a fan and media speculation.  It’s never been confirmed or reported by anybody. It might be true.  It might not.  We have no idea.  (And this isn’t the thread for that debate.)

If this was a rational organization with a respected owner flush with cash, everything you said would be right. But I don't think any of those things are true. 

We'll see. As a fan of the team and the player, I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: just saw your post about Terry demanding a trade if no fair deal offered. I could see that happening for sure. Good point. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Could, but I think it'd be disastrous for team morale and I suspect team morale is already on shaky grounds due to the never ending side issues that plague the team.

He's exactly the kind of guy you want. Produces. Hard worker. Good citizen. Leader by example who shows the pups how to be successful yet is almost still a pup himself. On top of all that, he is arguably one of the best at his position.

The players need to suck it up. No one is guaranteed to get a new contract or not be resigned or not be cut.

From the team’s perspective they have to decide; is it worth it tying dollars to a wr when we a rookie wr and a wr we drafted last year? Also, expects Samuel to play. Especially, when we have to make decisions on key defensive players in the next few years. They will be demanding more money than Terry.

The Redskins have a history of letting players go and not offering them a contract or a fair value contract to keep them. Now that we are the Commies ; I expect that continue.

We probably aren’t resigning Payne and have drafted his replacement. I expect we will make a choice between Sweat and Young and not resign both and draft a replacement.

Terry is the previous regime’s pick. 

Now, I’m just speculating on Terry but if the team does nothing on Terry this year; my speculation could be dead on.

Maybe Monday they announce a new deal with Terry but this scenario is going to be repeated the next few years with other players.

That’s why I don’t get attached to players as they come and go; whether by their own choice or the team’s choice. I won’t get mad if Terry leaves by his choice or the team’s. Will be disappointed but that’s the nfl.  I will root for the next guy and hope he reaches or surpasses Terry’s level of play.

Other teams let key players go and do fine. It’s time we do the same, if we let key players go.

As for Terry, we have until training camp . So, that’s a little more than a month away. Let’s see.

15 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Everyone is going to hate me for this.  Please know that I really like McLaurin.

But the question has been bothering me -- is the WR market unusually overpriced? 

<EDITED FOR BREVITY>

To be clear -- I get that Washington needs to reward those who've helped build a better culture among the players -- but the WR market seems abnormally overpriced at this moment.  And overpaying WRs means future tough cuts, elsewhere.

I think you have a point, however there is also no way to know if this is uniquely over-priced (an aberration) or the new normal.

It could honestly be either.  You could be buying high, or you could be buying in the new market.

14 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Sorry, I'm not sure can anoint McLaurin as elite. 

I see "Elite -POTENTIAL" ....perhaps --but we need see how Terry blossoms with a good QB and other dangerous WRs and TEs to pull coverage off of McLaurin.  Point is,  -- ee haven't seen that yet.

He has managed to be productive with

2019 (rookie year) Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Haskins (RIP)

2020 Haskins, Kyle Allen, one-legged Alex Smith, Haskins (again), Smith (again, on an even more injured leg), and 1 playoff game with TH

2021 16 plays of Fitz (where I don't believe he caught a pass), Taylor Heinicke, whatshisname for the one game, and a few plays by Kyle Allen.

He runs exceptional routes.  He has a lot of speed.  He catches almost everything.  He's exactly the type of culture guy you want.  

I don't know if he is "elite."  But he should be the cornerstone of this team for the next 5 years. 

5 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

I don't know about "no way" he plays on his current deal this year.  Seems like there's at least a chance that he and the team don't reach an agreement, they still don't want to trade him, he holds out, and then plays the minimum number of games this season to get credit for the year. Sure, there's financial risk involved for him.  But, if he's dead-set on a specific contract size or leaving WAS -- and willing to bet on himself -- that's at least a plausible maneuver. 

I don't think there's any way he plays on his current deal, at all.  I guess the scenario you laid out is possible, he holds out of everything and returns to the team mid-season.  But even in that case, he's staring down 2 franchise tags at the end of that.

I just don't see Ron and company as anywhere near that incompetent.  If it looks like it's going that way, they'll trade him.  Somebody is going to want him, for sure.  

I'll say it again, if Terry plays on his current deal, he needs to fire his agent and sue him for malpractice.  It can't happen.  They have to get a deal done.  They are not in the leverage situation, they need to know that, and they need to take a deal that is commensurate with Terry's play and his level of leverage.  If that's slightly less than AJ Brown/DJ Moore, they need to sign it anyway.  If it's in the neighborhood of the comps, they need to sign it.  

Now, if we find out the team is trying to completely rodger Terry with a significantly below-market deal (like $10-20 less in signing bonus and $20m less in guarantees), then fine, the organization has reverted back to the Bruce way of doing business, and it could have been Dan all along.

But that hasn't been reported by anybody yet.  So, until it is, I'm not going to assume it's the case.  I'm going to assume nothing until there is some reporting, which at the moment there hasn't been.  

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

If this was a rational organization with a respected owner flush with cash, everything you said would be right. But I don't think any of those things are true. 

We'll see. As a fan of the team and the player, I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: just saw your post about Terry demanding a trade if no fair deal offered. I could see that happening for sure. Good point. 

1. You have no idea what Dan (or the team's) cash situation is.  You can guess and you can speculate, (maybe even hope) but you have absolutely NO idea. Nor does anybody.

2. They can't franchise him this year no matter what.  Because he has another year left on his contract.  So the only options are:

- Play under the current contract (not going to happen, Terry (and by extension his agent) would be an imbecile for letting that happen)

- Agree on an extension.

- Get traded to a team which would do the extension as part of the trade.

- (I guess) he could technically just be released, but that's not going to happen, so cross it off the list, but it's a possibility.

If they can't agree on a deal, Terry's side will absolutely go into "Trade Me" mode.

Terry is possibly the most popular player on the team.  It might be Chase Young, but Young has a lot of detractors as well.  He's part of the re-branding campaign.  The team wants him on the team.  They DO NOT want to get into a pissing war with him, and have him demand a trade.

Snyder knows this.  He's got enough problems already, he doesn't need to lose his most popular player in the middle of a rebrand. He's smart enough to know that.

Which is why, in the end, I think it happens.  I don't know why it's taking so long. 

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

The Redskins have a history of letting players go and not offering them a contract or a fair value contract to keep them. Now that we are the Commies ; I expect that continue.

Why would you expect that?  It hasn't happened once under Ron.  

Scherff was offered a top-of-the-market Guard deal in 2020 and 2021 and declined both of them.  To my memory, he's the only guys who they've tried to keep who has left. And please don't bring up Tim Settle  I care nothing about a 4th string DT who never played in a DT room they wanted to restructure. 

Since Ron has been here, is there any indication of that whatsoever?  

That was a very fair criticism of Bruce.  It isn't of Ron or this FO.  At least not yet.  It might be.  But it also might not be.  

One of my largest frustrations is hanging Bruce's history around Ron's neck.  Ron is far from perfect, but there have been NO indications he's not 100% in charge.  No reports of it, nothing.  He hired his entire staff from Carolina (basically), he retained JDR, he hired FO folks he wanted.  He released Haskins, the owner's personal draft pick, in the middle of his second year.  There haven't been any real indications other than Ron is doing what Ron wants to do.

Yet, he is saddled with 20 years of Snyder and 10 years of Bruce.  It's maddening.  Literally NOBODY is here who was here for the first 19 years of Snyder's ownership EXCEPT Snyder.  Could he still be screwing it up?  Yeah, sure.  Absolutely. Maybe even likely.  But it hasn't happened yet.  (And I'm not talking about him just generally being a distraction. I'm talking about specific decisions.)

I'm talking football side only.  Business side, different story.  Football side, I don't think it's fair to saddle Ron and company with Snyderatto of the 00's or Bruce of the 10's. 

And this is not a defense of Dan. But I think Ron is in charge at the moment, and he should be judged on his actions since 2020.  And not saddled with others.  All the key players from prior to that are gone, Bruce, Eric Schaffer, Kyle Smith, etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. You have no idea what Dan (or the team's) cash situation is.  You can guess and you can speculate, (maybe even hope) but you have absolutely NO idea. Nor does anybody.

2. They can't franchise him this year no matter what.  Because he has another year left on his contract. 

Which is why, in the end, I think it happens.  I don't know why it's taking so long. 

1. You're right. That said, I do think there's some smoke. They have made one deal this offseason that required any kind of spending. And that was Wentz. Even that doesn't need to be fully funded. Unlike signing Terry, which would require Dan to immediately put a check for whatever the guaranteed amount is into an escrow account. Not sure the amount -- 50 million at least, right? For a market deal?

2. Sorry -- I wasn't clear on the timing of the tag. I meant that the plan could be to let Terry play out his deal this year -- if they can't get him to take a severely below market deal -- and then franchise him for the next two if need be. Then let him go. Basically, make it a year to year decision, payment funded week to week, which Snyder has done before. It rarely is a good move -- causes drama and the money can't be spread out cap-wise over numerous years. But then again, it doesn't mean fully funding guaranteed 50 to 60 million in guaranteed money immediately.

Everything you say makes complete sense... if we were dealing with almost any other organization. Why is it taking so long? We'll see.  The team seems to have all the leverage, for sure. Again, you are probably right about all. How they use their leverage is a whole other story. And what if they decide they simply don't want to pay Terry anything close to what it will take? 

Edited by Hooper

7 minutes ago, Hooper said:

1. You're right. That said, I do think there's some smoke. They have made one deal this offseason that required any kind of spending. And that was Wentz. Even that doesn't need to be fully funded. Unlike signing Terry, which would require Dan to immediately put a check for whatever the guaranteed amount is into an escrow account. Not sure the amount -- 50 million at least, right? For a market deal?

There is a thread for that.  I would say if Ben Standig hadn't start bandying it about and all the other reporters picking up on it, very few would have thought about it.  

I've said this before, there is a VERY legitimate reason they didn't dip their toe into the FA waters: They thought they had a 10-11 win team last year, and then Fitz got hurt after 16 plays and blew it up.  

On defense specifically, they are not going to spend big for anybody on the DL.  They completely wrecked the continuity of the secondary last off-season with too many moves, and have admitted it took too long to get on the same page (WJIII for Darby, Fuller to Slot, St. Juice to Outside DB, Curl to the Bench, Collins in, McCain in, etc.)  It was too much change.  

They also only play a 3 LB set about 60 times a year.  So, the fact they didn't go after "big" upgrades makes some sense.  They are betting they have the guys here, with continuity, who can perform.  

On offense, they made the big move ($28M guaranteed, FWIW) to get Wentz.  They signed a few guys on the OL. They are getting Samuels back. 

It COULD be they just think they had a good team last year that was massively unlucky.  We'll see.  I can buy that story though just as much as I can buy Dan having money issues.  Both COULD be true, and have legitimate reasons behind them.  

2. Sorry -- I wasn't clear on the timing of the tag. I meant that the plan could be to let Terry play out his deal this year -- if they can't get him to take a severely below market deal -- and then franchise him for the next two if need be. Then let him go. Basically, make it a year to year decision, payment funded week to week, which Snyder has done before. It rarely is a good move -- causes drama and the money can't be spread out cap-wise over numerous years. But then again, it doesn't mean fully funding guaranteed 50 to 60 million in guaranteed money immediately.

I just don't see Terry playing on his contract in any situation, so I discount the possibility.  It's career earning suicide for him, so why would he do it?  

The only 2 players who have gotten back-to-back franchise tags were Kirk and Scherff.  Kirk was a bizarre scenario which I won't go into again.  Kirk was odd, though, because he ONLY started the last year of his 4 year deal, and was approaching FA at the perfect time.  And he wanted a fully guaranteed $60M deal.  And GMSM didn't want to pay him near that. Neither did Bruce or Dan, but if you remember, it was GMSM who Kirk was "how do you like me knowing" at.  Then Bruce screwed it up from there.

Scherff was a screw up, but they offered him the highest guard contract in NFL history (according to Kiem) in BOTH the 2020 and 2021 off-seasons.  But it was better for Scherff to play on the franchise tag, because he was getting tackle money. 

So, I don't actually think this is a fair criticism of Dan.  I think this is more piling on for something that's not really there.  Pile on the picking of Haskins over objections all you want.  And a million other things.  I'm not defending Dan's legacy here.  But in THIS PARTICULAR INSTANCE, I don't think it's fair.  Especially with Scherff when they offered him contracts which would make him the highest paid player at his position.  

Everything you say makes complete sense... if we were dealing with almost any other organization. Why is it taking so long? We'll see.  The team seems to have all the leverage, for sure. Again, you are probably right about all. How they use their leverage is a whole other story. And what if they decide they simply don't want to pay Terry anything close to what it will take? 

I think the team was slow-rolling it at the beginning because they wanted to get comps, they didn't want to set the market.  Then that strategy screwed them sideways with a 10 foot pole.

Now I think Terry's side is trying to get a comparative contract value they don't think he's worth, and that's the hang-up.  

And they WANT Terry.  They NEED Terry.  He's worth a ton to them on and off the field.

Which is why I think it will eventually get worked out. But I think we might have moved from the team being the hold-up to Terry's side being the hold up.  I freely admit that is complete and total speculation on my part, it's my gut.  So I could be 100% wrong about it.  Just like your gut is saying Snyder might be having cash flow issues, and I am saying you don't know that, I am absolutely admitting I DON'T know Terry's side might be the holdup now.  But that's what my spidey sense is telling me.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Great post, VOR.

Did you hear Michael Phillips on Keim or Stading's podcast the other day? He said Terry has not received an offer of any kind yet and he didn't understand why -- it made him lower his odds of a deal getting done. Of course, he may be working off bad or incomplete info, but it was interesting. 

Edited by Hooper

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Great post, VOR.

Did you hear Michael Phillips on Keim or Stading's podcast the other day? He said Terry has not received an offer of any kind yet and he didn't understand why -- it made him lower his odds of a deal getting done. Of course, he may be working off bad or incomplete info, but it was interesting. 

I am telling you guys my theory maybe proven right. The team feels they have cheaper options with Brown and Dotson and expect Samuels to come back. Why offer Terry a market deal; especially now that market has exploded.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Great post, VOR.

Yeah, so there is nuance to that statement, and I’m betting it came 100% from that agent.

(And frankly, all of these guys should know how it works.  I know Keim does because I’ve heard him discuss it.)

The first thing which agreed to is “what is the comparable player/contract.”  That’s part 1.  It could be one or multiple.  This sets the boundaries of the negotiations.  The 3 I have brought up at DJ Moore, Brown and Whatshisnugget in Buffalo.  

After you agree on that, then you figure out how it relates to this guy.  Slightly more, less, more signing bonus, more guaranteed money, etc.

Then you make an offer.  

Kiem has reported the sides have had discussions, but they haven’t agreed on the comp.

The team will NOT make an offer until they agree on a comp.

The way I read this is the agent trying to drum up more support for Terry by saying the team hasn’t made an offer.  That makes the team look bad.  While that’s probably true, it’s only part of the story.

Terry’s side might be asking to set the market, more than the Hill contract, and the team might be objecting.  (This is a hypothetical.)

The reporting (specifically from Kiem) is that there have been discussions. The fact theee isn’t an offer to me means they are way far apart on a comp.  

Could that be the team is low balling him?  Maybe. Could it be Terry’s agent is high balling the team?  Maybe.

In the end, the thing is, they have to ask for a contract SOMEBODY is willing to pay or else the team will play a game of chicken with them and they will win.  

The team has the leverage.  Terry’s side needs to recognize this.  If they do, a really good and reasonable deal can be reached.  If they puss them off, it could get ugly.  

• Like 4

Vor killing it right now. Thanks.

That said, if we really did just draft a Terry clone, why not trade him. Hes an easy 1rst rounder. Dont get me wrong at all. Hes extremely valuable to us as a player and leader and I dont want that at all, but if we're broke and not aggressively trying to keep him, get a pick and save the money.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I am telling you guys my theory maybe proven right. The team feels they have cheaper options with Brown and Dotson and expect Samuels to come back. Why offer Terry a market deal; especially now that market has exploded.

Then they have to trade him because there is zero chance he’s playing on his deal. And they should also probably remove him from all the rebrand material.

Look, they need to win this year.  10, probably 11 games minimum.

Is it easier to do that WITH Terry or WITHOUT Terry.

If you assume, like I do, Terry’s agent is competent, which means he’ll never play on his current deal and the team will look REALLY bad (at a time when they are desperate for good news and to get people to go to the games) then they’re going to make him a legitimate offer at some point.

Could I be wrong? Sure.  

Two things  could detail the negotiations:

1. Terry wanting to reset the WR market because his side believes they have the leverage to pull that off (they don’t)

2. It really has been Dan and he really doesn’t want to spend money.

I would also say this, though: Terry might have the #2 jersey sales for the teams. It’s always been said Snyder likes to make splashy moves to sell more jerseys.  

Being cheep on this deal flies completely in the face of everything we know about Snuser.  He has a popular player on his team which sells a lot of merch, his move would be to triple over pay him and make a big show of it.  Not let the Kerch sales walk out the door.

Kirk and Scherff were never huge merch guys. Terry is.  

That is a factor.

Which also bodes well for this getting done.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Vor killing it right now. Thanks.

That said, if we really did just draft a Terry clone, why not trade him. Hes an easy 1rst rounder. Dont get me wrong at all. Hes extremely valuable to us as a player and leader and I dont want that at all, but if we're broke and not aggressively trying to keep him, get a pick and save the money.

He’s also valuable as a popular player who moves merch.

I don’t think it can be understated how much the team wants fans in seats on 9/11.  And getting rid of one of your 3 most popular players doesn’t help that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He’s also valuable as a popular player who moves merch.

I don’t think it can be understated how much the team wants fans in seats on 9/11.  And getting rid of one of your 3 most popular players doesn’t help that.

No, I want terry long term. Dont get me wrong. I think it's very important to resign him.

But winning is all that matters and if his contract, in a very inflated market impedes our ability to do that, get the extra pick so we can move up for the QB.

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No, I want terry long term. Dont get me wrong. I think it's very important to resign him.

But winning is all that matters and if his contract, in a very inflated market impedes our ability to do that, get the extra pick so we can move up for the QB.

If you look back at the comp contracts I analyzed earlier in this thread, nine are that bad.  

Who knows how the commanders would structure a deal, every team is different, but if you look at what Brown and Moore got, both contracts are not terrible against the cap.

And I’m pretty sure absolutely nobody over there is thinking about next year drafting a QB high.  They want all of the weapons this year for Wentz and go win 11-12 games.  They think (according to Sheehan) they have a 12-13 win offense.  I assume with Terry.  They want that this year.

Another reason I think this gets done.

i bet Ron thinks if a couple things break his way, they could get to the NFC championship game this year.  

But I think they believe Terry is a big piece of that.

Then they have to trade him because there is zero chance he’s playing on his deal. And they should also probably remove him from all the rebrand material.

Look, they need to win this year.  10, probably 11 games minimum.

Is it easier to do that WITH Terry or WITHOUT Terry.

If you assume, like I do, Terry’s agent is competent, which means he’ll never play on his current deal and the team will look REALLY bad (at a time when they are desperate for good news and to get people to go to the games) then they’re going to make him a legitimate offer at some point.

Could I be wrong? Sure.  

Two things  could detail the negotiations:

1. Terry wanting to reset the WR market because his side believes they have the leverage to pull that off (they don’t)

2. It really has been Dan and he really doesn’t want to spend money.

I would also say this, though: Terry might have the #2 jersey sales for the teams. It’s always been said Snyder likes to make splashy moves to sell more jerseys.  

Being cheep on this deal flies completely in the face of everything we know about Snuser.  He has a popular player on his team which sells a lot of merch, his move would be to triple over pay him and make a big show of it.  Not let the Kerch sales walk out the door.

Kirk and Scherff were never huge merch guys. Terry is.  

That is a factor.

Which also bodes well for this getting done.

Rebrand? 

The rebrand was forced into Dan?

Dan’s just trying to make money. He hears  Terry is one of the popular players with the fans; so use him to reel in the fans to buy merchandise. 

All that **** in the fall is just distraction pr. Dan already has the new fight song; supposedly done by someone wallet- don’t know exact name. Dan already has a mascot; probably done by Tanya and the kids.

As Terry, I expect we probably trade him. Green Bay would be a good place for him. Maybe Denver or Kansas City.

Also, when the post Ron era happens; the Vinny era Dan returns.

Plus, why is 10-11 wins a must? You all say Dan won’t fire Ron ; even with a third straight non winning season.

I say 9-8 would show Dan things are heading the right way.

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Snyder knows this.  He's got enough problems already, he doesn't need to lose his most popular player in the middle of a rebrand. He's smart enough to know that.

It really doesn't come down to intelligence at all.

Things like this are what are required to completely screw the team up for over 20 years and so far he hasn't proven that he's going to stop doing them.

2VYD1-.gif

Get a few of these guys signed and then maybe everybody will start believing. Waiting so long that the price increases by 30% isn't going to help either. The smart teams made their moves months ago, meanwhile this dude has been on the team for 3 years and its crickets. 

And this is already after buffooning multiple players contracts the past several years and having to use the franchise tag. Must be the new plan. 

No chance Terry shows up, let alone play a down, on his current deal. This deal should be very easy to push through if both sides what it to happen. The longer it drags on the more I’m inclined to think Terry doesn’t want to commit long term here. No basis to that, just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

And this is already after buffooning multiple players contracts the past several years and having to use the franchise tag. Must be the new plan. 

Again, I think THIS is not actually fair criticism.  I just posted about it earlier.  Kirk was a special case because he only played on the final year of his deal, and immediately was set to enter FA.  

GMSM had absolutely no intention of paying him $60M guaranteed, which is what has been reported he wanted.  A 3 year, $20M AAV which was fully guaranteed.  

The team couldn't just let him walk.

Kirk had ALL the leverage in that situation (exactly the opposite of Terry), and they had to Franchise Tag him.  

Now, they should NEVER have let him play on the 2017 tag.  2016, ok.  2017, they should have tagged him and traded him.  Bruce screwed that up massively.  

The only other franchise tag they have given out was 2 Scherff.  But they offered him contracts in both the 2020 and 2021 off-seasons which would make him the highest paid guard in the NFL.  For Scherff, it made no sense to sign those, though, because he could get the franchise tag for tackle money for 2 years, and THEN sign the mega deal to make him the highest paid guard in the league.  (or close.)  

Again, there are a million things to criticize the team for.  This just isn't one of them.  

I'll grant you, they should have done Terry earlier.  But also, let's set context:

- They had NO idea how much cap room they were going to have, because they were going to make a swing for Wilson at the very least.  They didn't know if they were going to connect. 

- Even though the team said they were going to wait until after the draft, if I was Terry, there was no way I would sign a deal not knowing who the QB was going to be.  (Caveat, he HAS to sign a deal.  But if they had signed Mitch and drafted Pickett, if I'm Terry, I politely ask for a trade immediately rather than staying.  Wentz is a competent NFL QB who throws a good deep ball, so that probably eases the QB issue for Terry.

Now, if it was me, I would have offered him a contract the day after the season with as low a cap hit as possible for this year, and made Terry turn it down.  I don't know why they didn't do that.  I think this is my criticism of Ron and the FO, they aren't able to do more than one thing at the same time.  Their first priority was QB.  They totally dropped the ball on McKissic and Settle.  They got McKissic back.  I don't think they cared so much about Settle, but they did drop the ball there.  Then it was the draft.  Then it was re-signing players. 

I think what we're seeing with Don Ron is everything seems to be single tracked.  Having an independent GM might help in this scenario.  Shrug.  But that's not what we've got.  

I do wonder if what's taking so long right now is Ron has been completely focused on the OTAs, Mini-camp and coaching the team that he just doesn't have time for the Terry negotiations, and he isn't empowering Rob Rodgers, or Marty or Martin to do it without him.  If that's the case, then I'd expect to see movement the week after next, as mini-camps are over.  

To your point Snyder is an idiot, he's not.  He is a horrific manager, and a horrific GM.  But you don't luck into being a Billionaire by the time you're 33 years old.  He understands marketing, he understands revenue and he can read a P/L and Balance Sheet, and he understands revenue creation.  He absolutely can read the jersey sales numbers for his team (which are way down) and see who's at the top.  I know everybody wants to just paint him as having a 4th grade intellect.  He doesn't.  He's plenty smart, and he's plenty shrewd.  He's also plenty arrogant.  He's never had to run anything in his life, and he's a TERRIBLE executive, and he's a TERRIBLE football person.  

But I think he knows the financial benefit of re-signing Terry vs. the cost of not doing so.  And frankly, that isn't giving him a hell of a lot of credit.  A first year marketing student at podunk university in Eureka Kansas could figure that out.  So it's not like I'm saying he's Einstein or something.  

EDIT: I really hate that you're putting me in a position to come off as DEFENDING Snyder. I'm not.  And you suck.  I hope you get a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it  :P

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 4

I am a big Terry guy and was so before we even drafted him.  I've heard to death early in the off season that the team won't bother to negotiate with Terry until after the draft, most likely in the summer which I found odd at the time.  But on reflection it made sense to some extent based on what Albert Breer said in the context of Dan and some other owners who have financial reasons to drag negotiations into the summer but I get pushback by some on that point so i don't feel like rehashing that debate.

Laconfora said weeks back that there is some frustration with Terry's side about the slow playing the negotiaton on the team's end.   I'd blow off JLC, in part because of how he is hated by some here and that's another debate i don't feel like engaging in.  The dude isn't always right.  But he was the first to reveal about Dan's fascination with Haskins before that draft.  And he was also the first to say there was troubling brewing with Trent and the team back in that year where things got ugly.

Part of me wonders if the team is knocking themselves for the stupidity of slow playing the contract considering it probably cost them 4-5 million as to the AV on Terry's contract and not to mention maybe JLC is right and Terry's side is aggravated from the slow play of the negotiation.  So maybe the team is trying to avoid paying him 23-24 million a year and pushing 19-20 a year which likely would have gotten this done before the draft -- as if their slow play won't cost the team a dime.  If so, good luck with that. 🙄

In Terry's agents shoes I wouldn't be that aggravated though.  The slow play from the team put money in Terry's pocket and heck Terry can get a big contract on the open market at some point.  

I guess the card the team can play is franchising Terry next year which if I recall would be 20 million for that season.  But like the Kirk and Scherff situation, you can't keep franchising because eventually it becomes unaffordable.  

I don't think the team's track record on this stuff helps.  Trent's exit was ugly.  Scherff was franchised then let go.  Ditto Kirk. 

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Resign Terry give him what the eagles gave AJ Brown. He has done so much with so little to work with at Qb. The longer we wait to sign him the more it will cost. He is a top ten Wr and is willing to stay here.

the part that he is willing to stay here IMO is big and perhaps unique.  It wasn't hard to deduce that Scherff wanted to go.  Kirk wanted to go.  Trent ultimately wanted to leave. 

This place isn't exactly a hot spot for players.  Worst owner.  Worst facility.  Worst stadium.  Constant embarrasing scandals, etc.  Terry is like a beacon in the storm.

Part of the reason why I think they work this out is for a team with one disaster PR issue after another they cannot afford to add Terry to that pile. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

- They had NO idea how much cap room they were going to have, because they were going to make a swing for Wilson at the very least.  They didn't know if they were going to connect. 

Meanwhile, every other team signs, or trades for anybody they want. The Rams alone sign about 1/2 of the best players in the NFL it seems. Yet, Dan and Ron can't even ATTEMPT to sign a single WR who has been there for years because their cap situation is a mystery to them? Hilarious? Yes, once again! Especially considering the price went up more than gasoline. :ols:

I think what we're seeing with Don Ron is everything seems to be single tracked.  Having an independent GM might help in this scenario.  Shrug.  But that's not what we've got.  

I do wonder if what's taking so long right now is Ron has been completely focused on the OTAs, Mini-camp and coaching the team that he just doesn't have time for the Terry negotiations, and he isn't empowering Rob Rodgers, or Marty or Martin to do it without him.  If that's the case, then I'd expect to see movement the week after next, as mini-camps are over.  

If that's how it's being done then this setup is even more idiotic than the last one. I really don't want to believe that RR and his people are morons, therefore I choose to believe the alternative, which is easy since it is Dan Snyder after all, lol. 

EDIT: I really hate that you're putting me in a position to come off as DEFENDING Snyder. I'm not.  And you suck.  I hope you get a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it  :P

You're just too easy. My last post even stated that it has nothing to do with intelligence but you felt the need to defend Doofus Dan anyway. Well done! :ols:

IMO, he just can't stop himself from making the same mistakes. He does the same thing every time. He keeps hiring coaches to run everything when they don't have time to deal with it all, or hires unqualified dudes like Vinny or Bruce. It's a clownshow still if RR is waiting for the available day on his calendar to get a deal done when a real FO would have knocked it out 4-5 months ago (Training camp wasn't going on in Jan-Feb-Mar). RR can say "That's how we do it" as often as he wants. That doesn't make it any less of a clownshow. Just the price increase from waiting alone makes it a clown show.

The good teams sign the dudes early, or trade them asap for the most picks. The wait and overpay concept is an exclusive Dan Snyder product which they've trademarked since at least Kirk Cousins. Next thing we're going to start hearing the "He didn't want to be here anyway" BS.