Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

One thing we can know is this FO is a bloated one with older folks. The bloat + the age of the execs results in execution being disjointed and overall slow. This is something I've seen again and again during my career unfortunately. 

We've seen a number of signs of it:

- Slow on the Allen extension. Didn't get done until Allen himself came into Rivera's office and forced the issue

- McKissic mishap

- Ioannidis mishap

- Slow on McLaurin extension (I get that you can't officially sign him until the Collins cap space hits in June but at least have a deal in principle agreed to)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, method man said:

One thing we can know is this FO is a bloated one with older folks. The bloat + the age of the execs results in execution being disjointed and overall slow. This is something I've seen again and again during my career unfortunately. 

- Slow on the Allen extension. Didn't get done until Allen himself came into Rivera's office and forced the issue

- McKissic mishap

- Ioannidis mishap

- Slow on McLaurin extension (I get that you can't officially sign him until the Collins cap space hits in June but at least have a deal in principle agreed to)

You forgot about Tim Settle debacle too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I think we should be more worried about McLaurin not wanting to re-sign here versus the front office not willing to pay him market value.

He surely wouldn’t attend voluntary workouts then, right?

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He surely wouldn’t attend voluntary workouts then, right?

He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone, anymore. Seems obvious that his agent would advise him not to attend and to make his desire clear. Certainly either side won't make anything public until something is imminent or disputed.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

One player you can't loose is Terry McLaurin. His agent knows it. Everybody knows it. Now what!?

Trade him for #10 and #69 with the Jets or pay him over 100M.

Let's chill with that narrative. He's not irreplaceable. It's debatable whether he's a top 10 WR.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The market price for Mclaurin is set. It is quite possible Rivera doesn’t want to pay a WR the best end of 25mil per year. It is also possible Mclaurin likes the idea of playing elsewhere. It is not inconceivable to see teams like GB and KC tapping up his agent. They are both desperate for a WR1 and are loaded with draft picks.

If both the FO and Mclaurin have a mutual interest in getting the deal done here, that should happen pre draft. I see no point in waiting at all. Makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder what his trade market is. Do other teams over value him as a player, like us fans do? 

I think the Packers and Chiefs would gladly give up one of their 1sts for him, but I doubt they'd want to pay him $25 Mil a year since they had better receivers they didn't want to give that money to.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, method man said:

- McKissic mishap

- Ioannidis mishap

I'm not sure age has anything to do with it.  There are plenty of aggressive older folks in business/the league.  Andy Reid basically runs the Chiefs, they are aggressive, and Belichick runs the patriots, and they will also be aggressive.  I prefer not to be bias based on age.  

The one thing I think which caused a lot of problems this off-season was they really had no idea what was going to happen at QB.  Martin said at the combine (I think) they were "staying in touch with their guys," but also conveyed they didn't know their cap situation so they couldn't make an offer.  I get the reasoning behind that, but from a player perspective, it kindof leaves you in limbo.  

I agree they have been more methodical, and I think they should have been more aggressive.  I disagree Ioannidis was a mishap, but I think they should have released him a lot earlier in the off-season.  

The one thing I think they're struggling with is they probably want to do both McLaurin and Payne, and they want to save money for Sweat and Young who are up in the next few years. 

They actually have a lot of pretty good, young players on rookie deals, and they can't re-sign all of them.  But just off the top of my head, they have: McLaurin, Payne, Cam Kurl, Sweat (2023 would be his 5th year option year) and Young (2024 would be his 5th year option year).  That's a lot of guys who I think they'd like to keep, and if you do a deal now with McLaurin and push all the cap hit out to 2024/2025 (3rd and 4th years of an extension), then you make the other signings really hard.

Which is why I think they're really taking their time.  I do think it gets done.  But I think it will be done after June 1st when they can use the Collins money.

And if I was McLaurin, I wouldn't practice until then.  And the team should understand that, and be ok with it.  

One thing that's could hold us back from being able to trade him for a haul or hold him back from being able to get a gargantuan payday from other teams could be production. Now obviously that's not Terry's fault. He's had **** at QB since he got here. But other teams would absolutely use that to their advantage in their negotiations either with us or with him. He's never been an All Pro, he's never been to a Pro Bowl.

We've had 1 premier player be up for a contract under Ron. Jon Allen. Team captain, leader, getting better every year. We gave him a contract that was on the high side of most peoples comfort level and he came in and balled out. Terry is not going to be cheaper next year and along with Payne, they both have a sky high post contract improvement level next year.

It'll happen, without stress, just like Allen and we'll continue to improve the team with our leaders.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've had 1 premier player be up for a contract under Ron. Jon Allen. Team captain, leader, getting better every year. We gave him a contract that was on the high side of most peoples comfort level and he came in and balled out. Terry is not going to be cheaper next year and along with Payne, they both have a sky high post contract improvement level next year.

It'll happen, without stress, just like Allen and we'll continue to improve the team with our leaders.

We had an All-Pro walk away from Ron.  Not saying it was the wrong move, it was the right move.  But it was a guy who they wanted to keep, but he priced himself out.  We don’t know what value this regime puts on receiver.  

• Like 1

Well of course this FO should trade McLaurin for a fist full of draft picks. Just look at the magic the FO accomplished last year, not to mention the preponderance of picks they set themselves up with for this year (arguably one of the deepest drafts in decades) <disengaging sarcasm modulator> 

11 hours ago, TheShredder said:

One player you can't loose is Terry McLaurin. His agent knows it. Everybody knows it. Now what!?

Trade him for #10 and #69 with the Jets or pay him over 100M.

Interesting idea....very risky but interesting. Losing McLaurin would sting, he's a fan fave and a home grown guy but he's also a little older than some realize. Samuel is younger and we would have a chance to grab two top 11 WR's in this years draft if the Jets gave us #10. That allows us to buy time and pay guys like Payne, Curl, Chase and Sweat....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Get Up this morning and listening to Riddick/Tannenbaum talk about the WR position.  They make a lot of sense given the continuing spike in large contracts for the WR position.  They talked about how teams really should be drafting them every year, every time you get a chance because college programs are churning talented ones out these days.  Not that those 2 are the "end all be all" in GM thinking but I suspect that's kind of how the position is viewed by FO's around the league.

They also discussed trading guys like Deebo, AJ Brown and McLaurin.  Some of it was why would a team trade for one of these guys for high draft capital and then turn around and have to pay them $25 mil?

Reference McLaurin, it feels like it'll eventually get done because RR likes loyalty and leaders but there has to be a limit to what end. 

Edited by HigSkin

25 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Interesting idea....very risky but interesting. Losing McLaurin would sting, he's a fan fave and a home grown guy but he's also a little older than some realize. Samuel is younger and we would have a chance to grab two top 11 WR's in this years draft if the Jets gave us #10. That allows us to buy time and pay guys like Payne, Curl, Chase and Sweat....

Yeah, the idea of "resetting" from a contract perspective with a young receiver is appealing to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the Packers and Chiefs would gladly give up one of their 1sts for him, but I doubt they'd want to pay him $25 Mil a year since they had better receivers they didn't want to give that money to.

I think both Adams and Hill got high money offers before being traded. Adams simply wanted out. Hill wanted more.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder what his trade market is. Do other teams over value him as a player, like us fans do? 

I’d say he’s likely to have a strong reputation in the league. Top professional with excellent production on a poor team. I reckon you’d get a mid to low first plus change in a trade.

The issue for me is the APY contract. Heading towards 25mil per year is a tough sell even for me to be honest. However you just have to pay the going rate if you want to retain him. I’m sure someone else will in the league. Depends if he wants to play for the Jets though, for example.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Exactly. So neither would give up a 1st. 

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d say he’s likely to have a strong reputation in the league. Top professional with excellent production on a poor team. I reckon you’d get a mid to low first plus change in a trade.

Just about every other team's fan that I talk to would absolutely kill for Terry.

I actually think our fan base doesn't appreciate him enough. Everyone else knows the guy would be an absolute dynamo with even league average QB play.