Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Except I don't believe they do actually have leverage. They can't tag twice and let him go like they did with Scherff, or another Williams situation where they wind up getting nothing in return for him.

And Terry's agent knows that, too. 

Both sides have leverage. 

I disagree entirely.  They absolutely could, and they would have a top 10-15 receiver in his prime, and then set him loose on the FA market when he was 29, with probably only 1-2 years left in his prime.  There is no way the agent or Terry wants that.

They also don't want to play 2022 at $2.8M.  That's a HUGE part of this.  They want 2022 to be in the ~$20-25 million dollar range one way or the other.  If they do nothing, Terry loses at least $17M, and possibly up to $22M, which he will NEVER be able to get back.  And if he did somehow get injured in 2022, that could effect his payday in 2023 FA, assuming he wasn't tagged.  But he would 100% be tagged.  

The Commanders have MUCH more leverage than they did with Cousins or Scherff.

With Cousins, he was out of years, so he could play the tag game.  He knew that the floor for him was the tag value in 2016.  The floor for Terry in 2022 is $2.8M.  That's a HUGE difference, and one which pushes the agent and player to sign a long term deal NOW. Also, Cousins KNEW exactly what the tag number was and what the floor was, and what the guaranteed amount over 2 tags was.  The team was stupid not to offer him a 4 year deal with the 2 tag numbers guaranteed up-front in 2015.  But Cousins had the leverage there because he was going to hit UFA that year, whereas Terry is not.  So there is a huge opportunity cost lost if they don't do the deal this year.  

With Scherff, I think there is context:  1. He is a guard, but there is only one tag number for all OL, so by him declining an extension, he got guaranteed top 5 tackle money for 2 years. 2. He was a first round pick, so he played his 5th year on the 5th year option, which is "real money."  Not the $2.8M Terry is set to make as a 3rd rounder.  Scherff could sit there and say, "5th year option + 2 tags at top 5 tackle money is better than the deal they are giving me.  Then I go to FA and see what happens."

I think, with Terry, the team has more leverage than Terry does.  And I think Terry knows that which is why his agent told Shefter to tell everybody he wasn't going to participate in practices until he has a new deal.  That's Terry's side trying to create leverage because they don't have a lot of it.  The only leverage they really have is he's REALLY good and the Commanders want him to be a big part of the team.  Absent that?  Contractually he's in a $22M leverage hole ($2.8+$20+$24 = $48.8 vs. $70M) over the next 3 years if he goes the tag route vs. the long term contract.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

All the discussion of AAV is really meaningless.  

McLaurin should get a deal approximating the Diggs extension.  $70M guaranteed, broken out between salary, signing bonus and guaranteed roster bonuses.  Base salary will be in the upper teens, combined with the other 2 elements.  Total contract value, somewhere just north of $100M.

I guess you could say that's a 4 year, $25M AAV.  But it's on top of his current year, because it's actually an extension.  So the extension kicks in in 2023, but you can spread the bonus over 5 years.  BUT Terry gets the ~$25M signing bonus RIGHT NOW, so he's happy.  His base would stay the same for 2022 ($2.8) so his 2022 Cash would be somewhere around $28M.  He'd still have ~40M guaranteed, paid over the next 2 years.  

Teams routinely add voidable years and other nonsense to up the AAV.  

I'd be shocked if they weren't comping to the Diggs contract.  And I would offer Terry the Diggs contract tomorrow, and if he signed it, it would be a great deal for The Commanders.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd be shocked if they weren't comping to the Diggs contract.  And I would offer Terry the Diggs contract tomorrow, and if he signed it, it would be a great deal for The Commanders

Diggs is now effectively on a six year 124mil deal. 

Offer Mclaurin a 5 year 120mil extension and you land at a very similar spot when you add in the 2022 salary due from his rookie deal.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Diggs is now effectively on a six year 124mil deal. 

Offer Mclaurin a 5 year 120mil extension and you land at a very similar spot when you add in the 2022 salary due from his rookie deal.

Yeah if I’m not mistaken he had 2 years left in his deal, they added 4, spews the guaranteed money over the entire length of the contract. 

Same deal with Terry, except he only has one year left, so everything stays basically the same except you add a year.  

It works out for everybody.  

Though I do think the Bills are going to have to eat some of that because Diggs is older than Terry so at some point he’s going to start to decline.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah if I’m not mistaken he had 2 years left in his deal, they added 4, spews the guaranteed money over the entire length of the contract. 

Same deal with Terry, except he only has one year left, so everything stays basically the same except you add a year.  

It works out for everybody.  

Though I do think the Bills are going to have to eat some of that because Diggs is older than Terry so at some point he’s going to start to decline.  

Diggs is only two years older than Terry.  The Bills have a good off ramp for Diggs in his last year. Only a little over 3M in dead money.

I agree he’s a good benchmark and believe they’ll get it done.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Diggs is only two years older than Terry.  The Bills have a good off ramp for Diggs in his last year. Only a little over 3M in dead money.

I agree he’s a good benchmark and believe they’ll get it done.

Yeah, he’s 28 now and has 6 years left on his deal.  By the time he’s 34, we’ll see if he’s still at this level.  

14 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

With Deebo Samuel now demanding a trade, I really hope they can get a deal done with Terry given that they were both were in the same draft class and Terry not full participating in activities.  

The Deebo trade demand is sort of an oddball because from some reports it sounds like he's demanding a trade because he wasn't happy with how he was being used, as a hybrid WR/RB. But the problem with that is that him being a hybrid guy is one of the reasons he was so effective. So if he demands to go to another team where he'll only be used as a pure WR (I'm assuming) there's no telling whether he'll still be an All Pro sort of guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

The Deebo trade demand is sort of an oddball because from some reports it sounds like he's demanding a trade because he wasn't happy with how he was being used, as a hybrid WR/RB. But the problem with that is that him being a hybrid guy is one of the reasons he was so effective. So if he demands to go to another team where he'll only be used as a pure WR (I'm assuming) there's no telling whether he'll still be an All Pro sort of guy.

He had something like 800 receiving yards through 7 weeks and was on pace to break Jerry Rice’s receiving record. 

He doesn’t need to get his arse kicked every week running that ball. I don’t blame him taking this stance to be honest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

He had something like 800 receiving yards through 7 weeks and was on pace to break Jerry Rice’s receiving record. 

He doesn’t need to get his arse kicked every week running that ball. I don’t blame him taking this stance to be honest.

Sure but I also wouldn't necessarily blame a team for not being sure if they want to give up a huge haul of draft picks for him if they won't be able to utilize him any way they can. Who knows whether he'd still be as effective as a pure WR if he didn't have that dual threat ability.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 11:13 AM, lavar1156 said:

Let's chill with that narrative. He's not irreplaceable. It's debatable whether he's a top 10 WR.

So do nothing?

I clearly stated two picks a 1st and 2nd or they'll have to pay him over 100M and your stating 'chill'....

So do nothing is the worst option that will escalate hostiles forcing his hand. There's no 'Stand' in this situation

that works in the best interest of either party.

23 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

With Deebo Samuel now demanding a trade, I really hope they can get a deal done with Terry given that they were both were in the same draft class and Terry not full participating in activities.  

Terry can't afford to participate on the field due to injury risk. Teams do the exact same thing to players with injury guarantees.

I love Terry and he's the only guy I'm truly confident in that gets a 100M and plays better.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, but you also have to factor in position value.  Scherff is a guard.  A damn good guard.  But a guard.  And he has a lot of injuries.  Ron and company made him an offer, and he refused.  They weren't willing to go higher for Scherff, probably because of how valuable a guard is overall and how much time he has lost to injury.  

You're right, we don't know the value this regime puts on receiver. HOWEVER, it would be safe to assume it's higher than the value a guard.  

I also think it's going to get done.  

Trent Williams walked away too...and for pennies on the dollar. Brutal. We should've gotten a 1st round pick for Trent and a player or future pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Trent Williams walked away too...and for pennies on the dollar. Brutal. We should've gotten a 1st round pick for Trent and a player or future pick.

Trent is a special case.  He went scorched earth and Bruce was an idiot.  Bruce got into an arm wrestling match he couldn’t win.  

Ron was left to figure out what to do and managed to trade a player who wasn’t going to play here as he had burned every bridge in the state.  

Bruce totally botched that situation.  Totally.  

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Trent is a special case.  He went scorched earth and Bruce was an idiot.  Bruce got into an arm wrestling match he couldn’t win.  

Ron was left to figure out what to do and managed to trade a player who wasn’t going to play here as he had burned every bridge in the state.  

That was such a total botch by the team. Like unjustifiable. Just as getting nothing for Cousins was. This team is seriously competing with the assets they could have/should have gotten from those two.

• Like 2

If we draft a WR at #11 they will get a fully guaranteed 20mil deal, half of that as a signing bonus.

Curtis Samuel will have earned the best end of 25mil by time the 2022 season is done.

Mclaurin isn’t playing so much as a practice down without a new contract and who can blame him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, lavar1156 said:

Let's chill with that narrative. He's not irreplaceable. It's debatable whether he's a top 10 WR.

10-15 otomh

On 4/19/2022 at 9:51 AM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, the idea of "resetting" from a contract perspective with a young receiver is appealing to me

I like to gamble also. No guarantees #11 is as good as TMC.

On 4/19/2022 at 4:11 PM, Ball Security said:

Diggs.....I agree he’s a good benchmark.....

No

On 4/21/2022 at 11:07 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Regardless...we got played and taken to the cleaners on Trent. RR was trying to make a point and we got way less than we should've for him. All players are "special cases" because it's a business both ways, there are several stories and cases that come into play and the team has to get the most it can for a player or adjust. And I'm a fan of RR, I just don't think he's very good at playing NFL poker.

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Regardless...we got played and taken to the cleaners on Trent. RR was trying to make a point and we got way less than we should've for him. All players are "special cases" because it's a business both ways, there are several stories and cases that come into play and the team has to get the most it can for a player or adjust. And I'm a fan of RR, I just don't think he's very good at playing NFL poker.

The last season Trent played for us was 2018. Ron wasn’t hired until 2020. The Trent debacle isn’t on him.

52 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The last season Trent played for us was 2018. Ron wasn’t hired until 2020. The Trent debacle isn’t on him.

He's the one that traded him. I know a lot of damage was done before RR got here and RR sat down with Trent but he still was the one who dealt him for peanuts. 

18 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

If I remember correctly Trent was willing to play for Ron.

He just wanted a new contact and Ron refused.

I think that’s true, but his demands were pretty out there considering they weren’t sure if his head could fit into a helmet.  Reportedly he wanted 20M+ AAV.  He ended up getting that, but his SF deal has “only” $40M guaranteed.  Not sure what he was demanding as far as guarantees.  He definitely didn’t want to play on the non-guaranteed 2020 contract.  

https://www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2020/3/14/21179094/trade-problems-redskins-trade-demands-and-trent-williams-contract-demands-preventing-a-deal

Edited by Ball Security