Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Passion of The Jussie (FKA The Smollett Fiasco)

Spaceman Spiff

The dude is a dumb ass, and obviously wasn't thinking clearly because there is no way his story would hold up.  It's a disappointing because you know what the after affects of this story will be, any legitimate story will be met with that much more skepticism.  Now personally, I think this story should not even be covered anymore, it isn't national news worthy once it was believed to be a hoax, there is no reason to keep covering this as if it is important..........especially when something like this just happened:

Coast Guard officer accused of wanting to kill Democrats and journalists was inspired by Norwegian mass shooting, feds say

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/politics/coast-guard-mass-killing-hit-list/index.html

...and I don't see it getting too much coverage....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Now personally, I think this story should not even be covered anymore, it isn't national news worthy once it was believed to be a hoax, there is no reason to keep covering this as if it is important..........especially when something like this just happened:

Disagree.  This is one of those stories where news and entertainment intersect.  Everyone I've talked to about it IRL has asked the same question ("why?").  I want to stop watching it, but it's a slow motion train wreck.  

This was the first thing that popped into my head, as the details of the 'incident' were being published:

jussie-smollett-scoobdy-doo-cartoon-char

• Haha 1

I had never even heard of Jussie Smollett before this fiasco...my sister emailed me and my brother about it and the subject just said "Jussie"...I thought it was a typo lol. She said she didn't buy it, so I googled the story to see what happened. After reading the initial account I wrote back and said "yep, sounds like complete bull**** to me, too", and we started going back and forth on all the reasons it didn't make sense. And we both despise Trump as president. That emotion didn't keep us, though, from seeing the flawed logic in Jussie's account. I was somewhat surprised to see that a LOT of other blacks were questioning it right off the bat as well.

Posted this in the Stadium a few months ago, seems equally appropriate here:

you-will-continue-to-suffer-if-you-have-an-emotional-10356812.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To me this would not even be a story if the guy wasn't on a TV show. 

I think this story would be more justified of the coverage if say there were actual suspects being wrongly accused, but as it stands now, a dummy staged an attack.  Ok we get it, move on, I'm bored

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think this story would be more justified of the coverage if say there were actual suspects being wrongly accused, but as it stands now, a dummy staged an attack.  Ok we get it, move on, I'm bored

Of course you're right. But any news outlet is going to cover the story if people are interested...and people are interested. I'm fascinated in an OJ Murder Case type of way. I don't think outcome matters anymore since it didn't actually happen...but I have to admit I am intrigued to learn more. 

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Everyone move on because you're bored? lol...

giphy.gif

Seriously, though, you're right that it's his celebrity status that makes this more newsworthy...but that's how it is with everything. 30 year old woman shoplifts a shirt from some store, nobody hears about it or cares. At all. Wynona Ryder shoplifts a shirt from some store, you get 2 years of media coverage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Of course you're right. But any news outlet is going to cover the story if people are interested...and people are interested. I'm fascinated in an OJ Murder Case type of way. I don't think outcome matters anymore since it didn't actually happen...but I have to admit I am intrigued to learn more. 

I won't even say it deserves zero coverage, it's more that it is getting too much coverage and commentary.  I don't find anything about this story to be that particularly fascinating. I don't mind when something new/major breaks in the story, but the over-analyzing of it just has become a bore to me. 

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I won't even say it deserves zero coverage, it's more that it is getting too much coverage and commentary.  I don't find anything about this story to be that particularly fascinating. I don't mind when something new/major breaks in the story, but the over-analyzing of it just has become a bore to me. 

The most disturbing and news worthy thing to me was him being willing to come in and testify against two guys they had in custody until he heard that it was the two guys he paid. IF that was true, he was willing to potentially send two innocent people to jail. I havent heard too much about that though so either that didnt actually happen or its just been glossed over.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

@TryTheBeal!, did you hijack NoCalMike's account?

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think you're in the minority. We (in general) are fascinated with stories like this. Of course on a daily basis there are dozens of events or stories that are far more important. But people focus on learning about things they can't understand or comprehend. 

This to me is similar to the fascination with the Netflix Ted Bundy documentary that came out last month. There wasn't a huge reason to suddenly watch anything about the Bundy case 40 years later...but millions tuned in hoping to learn something new about why he was wired the way he was. This case is not nearly as important or serious (whatever you want to say about this clown, he didn't harm anyone), but the hope of pulling back the curtain and seeing why he did what he did is exciting to people. 

• Like 2

I also think that because the case was handled extremely well by the police, we had gaps in times where reporting occurred, people were waiting for the next drop from the news faucet, but no one was leaking anything huge, which is great.  But because the police had to wait for the 2 brothers to return to Chicago, they had to wait for conversations with Jussie, as well as to fight to get phone records from Jussie, that means we were given info with gaps and kept craving for those gaps to be filled.

51 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

41 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think you're in the minority. We (in general) are fascinated with stories like this. Of course on a daily basis there are dozens of events or stories that are far more important. But people focus on learning about things they can't understand or comprehend. 

Personally, I'm fascinated by this case now that I've had the chance to dig in and catch up. I can't help but put myself in his shoes, trying to understand how he could...

1. Convince himself to go so far in an attention-getting plan like that.

2. Convince himself that he could even pull something like this off in the modern age of cameras, computers, data verification, etc.

3. What might have been running through his mind as the evidence started to mount up against him. He really milked it with Robin Roberts even though CPD had already asked for his cell phone records.

I admit it. I'm hooked. I want to know everything.

Edited by Chachie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Personally, I'm fascinated by this case now that I've had the chance to dig in and catch up. I can't help but put myself in his shoes, trying to understand how he could...

1. Convince himself to go so far in an attention-getting plan like that.

2. Convince himself that he could even pull something like this off in the modern age of cameras, computers, data verification, etc.

3. What might have been running through his mind as the evidence started to mount up against him. He really milked it with Robin Roberts even though CPD had already asked for his cell phone records.

I admit it. I'm hooked. I want to know everything.

Yeah.  It's just ****ing weird.  It's a spectacle.  

24 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I admit it. I'm hooked. I want to know everything.

This is where I'm at too.  

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

The most disturbing and news worthy thing to me was him being willing to come in and testify against two guys they had in custody until he heard that it was the two guys he paid. IF that was true, he was willing to potentially send two innocent people to jail. I havent heard too much about that though so either that didnt actually happen or its just been glossed over.

He never wanted a real police investigation.  In his misguided plan to reduce the number of witnesses, and plan this for a historically cold night, he didn't stop for one second to think how easily police would be able to retrace these guys' steps.  

The best thing he could possibly do for himself is avoid a trial at all costs.  I can't imagine him coming out looking any better once the intricate details of this cluster**** are presented as evidence.  

30 minutes ago, megared said:

This is where I'm at too.  

He never wanted a real police investigation.  In his misguided plan to reduce the number of witnesses, and plan this for a historically cold night, he didn't stop for one second to think how easily police would be able to retrace these guys' steps.  

The best thing he could possibly do for himself is avoid a trial at all costs.  I can't imagine him coming out looking any better once the intricate details of this cluster**** are presented as evidence.  

Does anyone know if he actually had the 2 guys "beat him up?" The scratch on his face looked self-inflicted to me. No bruises, no swelling, etc.

He might have been able to pull this off if he hadn't involved anyone else at all in the plan. At least the there would have been no video of the guys purchasing ski masks, there would have been no $3500 check, there would have been nobody at all to tell the police about the plot. All he had to do was knock himself around a bit and call the cops.

Edited by Chachie

45 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Does anyone know if he actually had the 2 guys "beat him up?" The scratch on his face looked self-inflicted to me. No bruises, no swelling, etc.

He might have been able to pull this off if he hadn't involved anyone else at all in the plan. At least the there would have been no video of the guys purchasing ski masks, there would have been no $3500 check, there would have been nobody at all to tell the police about the plot. All he had to do was knock himself around a bit and call the cops.

My assumption is that he wanted video of the attack. That's why he pointed out the camera to the police when he took them to the scene...it even struck the police as odd that he seemed to focus on the camera.

He also didn't think anyone would actually catch the "attackers." There would just be images of dark, blurry figures throwing punches at another blurry figure. Jussie would be the only one who knew it was him on the tape. It's just to his amazingly bad luck that the camera lens was facing in the opposite direction lol...so none of it was caught.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 5:52 AM, FunkedUp said:

Calling me uninformed is not a convincing argument.

Here is a measure of the scale of the problem you say is the point.  Blacks shot to death by cops in the US (total justified or not):  209 in 2017, and 223 in 2018.  The number of white deaths are roughly double that.  

My view is that social media's emphasis and echoing of very rare events distorts perceptions the public's perception of what are the larger problems. I believe that our current social justice system is dysfunctional and inflicts serious harm on lives of those - and their families - who suffer incarceration; and that blacks are too over-represented in that population. Solving this problem, IMHO, needs to be our priority... but the current fashion of status by victimhood distracts from establishing this priority. One that solving will have strong positive impact in many underprivileged communities. 

But I don't use Twitter, so how could I ever get the point?

Looks like you don't use basic math and statistics concepts either........

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

Did he really write a check?  hahaha  I don't know what he's going to do now that his acting career is likely over, but he should definitely cross crime off the list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Looks like you don't use basic math and statistics concepts either........

Fatal police shootings 

Year

Victim ethnicity           2017                        2018

Black                             223                         229

White                            459                         456

This is from the Washington Post (slightly different counts than the original because I couldn't remember that source). If those white death counts are not roughly twice than those of blacks in your perspective, you must have a more precise numeracy standard than I?  I am not commenting on the relative rates just the pure scale of the problem as measured in total number of deaths. IMHO, this is major issue because of the relative scale of people's internal feelings about the issue, not the reality of the actual physical scale of the problem.  I wish sheer scale of human suffering rather than fashion shaped our social justice priorities. Then perhaps we could address more significant problems like the roughly 1.5 million people currently incarcerated in the US with prison sentences of more than year. If interested check out the Pew Research Center report, sobering but at least it suggests there could be a positive trend. This prison industrial complex is a true enemy that inflicts massive suffering on our communities. Or if you look outside the states, 100,000+ Uyghurs currently in re-education camp and the Chinese surveillance is kind of growing large scale evil  crap that worries me. 

Edited by FunkedUp