Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Passion of The Jussie (FKA The Smollett Fiasco)

Spaceman Spiff

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You already have monsters on social media attempting to drag anyone who gave positive words to Smollett after we learned of the incident as if you aren't supposed to sympathize with victims.

I don't get the entire "people rushed to judgment" response now that it looks like he faked it.  Who was judged?  There wasn't even a suspect in this case.  It's not like hate crimes and hate groups are suddenly cool because Jussie made up some wild story. 

23 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don't get the entire "people rushed to judgment" response now that it looks like he faked it.  Who was judged?  There wasn't even a suspect in this case.  It's not like hate crimes and hate groups are suddenly cool because Jussie made up some wild story. 

You understand why. (that was not meant in an aggressive way) Those people do not want us to take hate crimes seriously and eventually it loses power. They want to shame anyone who speaks out about an atrocity.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

30 minutes ago, Destino said:

Trump supporters were blamed and even Trump himself. Don't remember who said it but after the report of the attack, some celebrity tweeted that red MAGA hats are now the white hoods of the modern era. I'd say that qualifies as a rush to judgement.

29 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Trump supporters were blamed and even Trump himself. Don't remember who said it but after the report of the attack, some celebrity tweeted that red MAGA hats are now the white hoods of the modern era. I'd say that qualifies as a rush to judgement.

that was true before this incident. It was said by many before this incident.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Everything, basically lol...

- Going out walking at 2:00 am in minus-9 degree weather...to buy a sandwich. Even worse, he says he was originally going to Walgreens for food at 2:00 am but they were closed.

- Two racists-homophobes out walking at 2:00 am in minus-9 degrees who also happen to be carrying rope and bleach with them...

- Two racist-homophobes saying "aren't you the f****t Empire n****r" and "This is MAGA country, n****r" before and after the attack...sounds like something people imagine Trump supporters would say more than something anyone would actually say...

- The idea that anyone would claim Chicago of all places is MAGA country....

- The idea that racist-homophobes who want to use violence against gays and blacks would even watch "Empire" to know who Smollett was to begin with lol...

- That Smollett kept the rope around his neck for like 45 minutes after the attack...sorry, but I can't imagine any black man anywhere leaving a noose around his neck under any circumstances...that **** is coming off, pronto.

- The fact that his manager or agent said they were on the phone with Smollett when the attack occurred and heard everything, yet the guy never called 9-11 while hearing Smollett being attacked...

- The fact that he wouldn't hand over his phone or phone records to the police...and when he did they were severely redacted to the point that they were pretty much useless...

- The threatening letter that arrived at the Empire set several days earlier for Smollett that said something like "You will die black f*g" in cut-out letters from a magazine looked like some movie cliche' rather than what would actually be sent in real life...

- The letter indicates that Smollett was being targeted, which means the attack wasn't random, but if it wasn't random and was indeed targeted, how the hell would they know he would be walking to Subway at 2:00 am that night...

It really was a poorly planned scheme all around.  I would think if you were planning such a scheme, you would run through as many contingencies and possible areas of vulnerability as possible.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It really was a poorly planned scheme all around.  I would think if you were planning such a scheme, you would run through as many contingencies and possible areas of vulnerability as possible.  

My assumption is that he thought he did lol...

Send a threatening letter in advance to further strengthen the story of being attacked -- check

Have two friends perpetrate the attack, and rehearse it ahead of time -- check

Make up a...um...believable (lol) story as to why you were out at 2:00 am -- check

Make sure the attack occurs when there will be almost a zero chance of any witnesses -- check

Wear ski masks so that attackers can't be identified, and if the police really push for some sort of description or identifier give them something that points them far away from looking for two burly Nigerian men -- check

To be on the safe side, have the attackers leave the country within hours of the attack -- check

Don't have the attackers be driven home directly from the site of the attack, have them driven to a secondary location, and then driven home from that location -- check

Make sure the police see you with the "noose" around your neck -- check

Tell yourself that the po-po won't care if a black man is attacked anyway, even one that is famous, so they won't put that much effort into finding the attackers -- check

Jussie Smollett Case: Clues Into Potential Motive Behind The Attack

“Empire” actor Jussie Smollett, upset after a racist letter sent to the show’s studio didn’t get a “bigger reaction,” is suspected of paying two men to attack him a week later, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.

“When the letter didn’t get enough attention, he concocted the staged attack,” a source told CBS 2 Investigator Brad Edwards. Other sources corroborated that information.

The blockbuster revelation into at least part of Smollett’s potential motive comes two days after CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar reported Smollett and two brothers — Ola and Abel Osundairo — staged the attack on Jan. 29 in Streeterville.

De Mar spoke on the phone exclusively with the Osundairo brothers Monday afternoon. In a joint statement, they said: “We are not racist. We are not homophobic, and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens.”

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/18/jussie-smollet-motive-staged-attack/

Photo from the video of the two men suspected of attacking Smollett:

Dzs_Yr2X0AAN51z.jpg

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

So? That doesn't negate that saying it in connection to this incident was a rush to judgment.

I was responding to your post specifically about the hat being seen as similar to a white hood. You said some random celebrity that you never cited said that. 

My response to that was many saw it as such before random celebrity said it in relation to this incident.

44 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Jussie Smollett Case: Clues Into Potential Motive Behind The Attack

De Mar spoke on the phone exclusively with the Osundairo brothers Monday afternoon. In a joint statement, they said: “We are not racist. We are not homophobic, and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens.”

Wait, how can they be NOT anti-Trump then.  Sounds like an oxymoron to me. :nono:

On 2/17/2019 at 4:03 PM, Springfield said:

Well, I think there’s “bad guys”, as in ones who would actually lynch a gay black guy.  And then there’s people like this, who are tying to exploit it for their own motives.  To me, one is certainly worse than the other.

Thankfully, there hasn't been a lynching in the US in over 20 years; and only 2 or 3 since the civil rights movement. It seems sociopaths committing  hoaxes like this, with the accompanying social discord, is an actually currently relevant problem and threat to our civil society. 

40 minutes ago, FunkedUp said:

Thankfully, there hasn't been a lynching in the US in over 20 years; and only 2 or 3 since the civil rights movement. It seems sociopaths committing  hoaxes like this, with the accompanying social discord, is an actually currently relevant problem and threat to our civil society. 

How many officer involved shooting have been completely unjustified? Why use rope when you have authority and a gun?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, FunkedUp said:

Either you get the point or you don’t.  Looks like you don’t.

Edited by Springfield

Jussie Smollett and a Perfect Crime

An object lesson in what happens when people in positions of political and cultural authority indulge their biases by suspending disbelief.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/opinion/jussie-smollett-attack.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

'The details of the Jan. 29 attack on the “Empire” star Jussie Smollett were horrifying...These details also strained credulity from the very start.

"[...]If you are inclined to believe that America — especially in the age of Donald Trump — is plagued by racism and homophobia, none of these extremely fishy details seemed to register. Indeed, many politicians and journalists seemed to suspend all critical thought in a campaign to indict not just Mr. Smollett’s attackers but the country as a whole.

"Indeed, Mr. Smollett himself implied that anything other than deference to his claims was evidence of prejudice. “It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot much more,” he told ABC News. “And that says a lot about the place where we are as a country right now.”

"This case is an object lesson in what happens when people in positions of political and cultural authority abandon critical thinking and pressure those who don’t abandon their circumspection under pain of being smeared as bigots...

"[...]All of these [fake stories of threats of racial violence] occasioned deep dives by the press into the forces of racial animus Mr. Trump unleashed during his campaign. But there was no chastened soul-searching when the deceptions were exposed. And few entertain the possibility that the attention these allegations generate has created an incentive structure for prospective hoaxers.

"The real tragedy in all of this is that hate crimes are, in fact, on the rise in the Trump era, particularly against Jews and Muslims. It is natural and noble to want to respond proactively to that condition. But well-intended observers risk indulging their biases by suspending disbelief. Whether it is Donald Trump implying that the criminal acts of one illegal immigrant are indicative of a plague of migrant violence, or establishment Democrats citing one dubious story to indict half the country, there is no justice in treating individuals not as individuals but as representatives of their tribe.

"False claims of victimization taint legitimate episodes of violent bigotry and discrimination, which is perhaps why those who are honorably committed to confronting prejudice seem loath to acknowledge hoaxes when they occur. But those who are inclined to dismiss prejudice in America as a manufactured crisis will only be emboldened by episodes like these. That is why it’s incumbent on responsible Americans — especially those with large platforms — to treat alleged crimes as just that: alleged."

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Jussie Smollet, threat to society.

Seems legit.

If he really did pull off a hoax with this, I have zero problem saying he is indeed a threat to society. Those actions have major repercussions beyond his embarrassment and our temporary entertainment from it.

Edited by Califan007

13 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

The guy is willing to drive the wedge deeper in our culture, delegitimize (and at best insult) actual victims of hate crime, and send two innocent (for all he knew) people to prison... for his mediocre career in music??

Selfish.

I think the motive to aid his career in music/ acting was just a side benefit of the actual primary motive, which was as you said to drive the wedge deeper in our culture - it was a hate crime imo. He wanted to reinforce the narrative that is out there that all Trump supporters are racist, homophobic bigots that are willing to physically attack their opponents.  There is too much hate out there and in here (Tailgate).

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I think the president accusing the FBI of fomenting a deep state coup is a bit more serious of a threat.

But that’s just me...

That doesn't make any sense. Yeah that's a big deal, But that doesn't mean the other is not. Someone robbing a bank is a bigger deal than someone robbing a store, but that doesn't make the smaller instance not stealing.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

Either you get the point or you don’t.  Looks like you don’t.

Calling me uninformed is not a convincing argument.

Here is a measure of the scale of the problem you say is the point.  Blacks shot to death by cops in the US (total justified or not):  209 in 2017, and 223 in 2018.  The number of white deaths are roughly double that.  

My view is that social media's emphasis and echoing of very rare events distorts perceptions the public's perception of what are the larger problems. I believe that our current social justice system is dysfunctional and inflicts serious harm on lives of those - and their families - who suffer incarceration; and that blacks are too over-represented in that population. Solving this problem, IMHO, needs to be our priority... but the current fashion of status by victimhood distracts from establishing this priority. One that solving will have strong positive impact in many underprivileged communities. 

But I don't use Twitter, so how could I ever get the point?

Edited by FunkedUp
added the word "rare"

1 hour ago, FunkedUp said:

My view is that social media's emphasis and echoing of very events distorts perceptions the public's perception of what are the larger problems.

I think we know, consciously or subconsciously, that a lot of the crap we read on social media is designed to provoke a reaction. But when it's a story that confirms our biases, we turn that instinct off. The rush of having our biases confirmed ('I told you so') and being outraged at the same time is too addictive. 

Guy executed by cops trying to leave his kids school. Guy shot at cops twice at point blank range. 

Girl kills pimp escaping sex slavery. Or shoots a John in the back of the head while he's sleeping then robs him. 

Girl at party murdered. Or she got drunk and fell off a deck. 

We only see what we want to see. 

We are being manipulated and we will be as long as we allow it. 

• Like 1