Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

Spring Training!  Hope of baseball and warm weather on the horizon!

...and then, it's the Orioles.  Fresh off a 47 win season, by FAR the worst season in franchise history, Buck, Duquette, Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Kevin Gausman and others are gone.  Unfortunately, Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo remain.

But there's hope on the horizon, the Orioles signed Mike Elias from the Houston Astros as GM and he's bringing along his analytics buddy Sig Mejdal.  Brandon Hyde, former bench coach for the Cubs takes over as manager.  It should be a breath of fresh air as these gentlemen are coming from teams that have won a World Series recently.  Once in the dark ages when it comes to advanced metrics and analytics, the Orioles should be moving ahead at light speed with these moves.  

Can't get too excited about the on-field product this year at Camden Yards, the real things will be to watch are the players in the minors, youngsters that get called up and how they develop as well as what Elias decides to do with the #1 draft pick.

Bend over and spread your cheeks O's fans, it's gonna be a long summer but it can't be as bad as last year...

...can it?

Get in here, @Bang @Hersh @DM72 @TheDoyler23 @DCSaints_fan @ixcuincle @RonArtest15  @justice98 @KingGibbs @pjfootballer @GOSKINS_08 @capcrunch98 @abdcskins @SkinFanInMinn misery loves company.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

Looking at 2019 mock drafts now and it looks like the best player is a catcher. Was hoping for something a little more exciting.

Still a lot of baseball to be played between now and the draft but Rutschman is a really good looking prospect.  Someone else can take that #1 spot though.

It's a long way to the top --if you wanna rock and roll. 

It's not going to be a good season in the standings. Official rebuild, year 1. 

BUT it's better than past years where one would be like, "Sure the on field team is terrible but the minor league system is.. oh also terrible... and seems to have no hope of producing anything." 

This is gonna suck. I had more but I'm pretty much like **** this ownership group. We are going to get sold a load of **** about payroll for a few years minimum. 

Elias should be really good and the O's system has some real good guys that will help this team. 

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Unfortunately, Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo remain.

This is the only part about this season that disappoints me. Davis last year didn’t belong on a baseball field and he’s still on the roster. Maybe he turns it around, but I’m not expecting it. And Trumbo is the guy you pickup when you need a bat for the stretch run. Something they are so far away from at this point. The only thing I hope is he comes out hot and they can trade him to help get more prospects. 

• Like 1

Best case scenario for this season, is that any of Cobb, Cashner, or Bundy start pitching really well and we can deal them to a team with a need for starting pitching.   Gyvens and O'Day also might be worth something coming out of the bullpen.

I don't think we have any position players that would garner anything at the deadline..  Trumbo a remote possibility. 

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Its pointless to bring Jones back.  He'd just be eating salary and blocking prospects.

I doubt he will be eating salary. He won’t get that much if no one else wants him. As far as blocking prospects, that may or may not be true. I’d rather see younger guys getting the playing time. What is true is that he’s be a much better mentor for the young guys than Davis or Trumbo.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 3:12 PM, Redskin4ever said:

I doubt he will be eating salary. He won’t get that much if no one else wants him. As far as blocking prospects, that may or may not be true. I’d rather see younger guys getting the playing time. What is true is that he’s be a much better mentor for the young guys than Davis or Trumbo.

Some team is going find use for him as a 4th OF/DH/pinch hitter/utility.  He's going to be way more valuable to a team that wants to make the playoffs and needs help in OF than the Orioles.   Right now considering his defense, he's barely above replacement level, and given his age and likelihood of declining he might garner 2/16m, though I think a 1 year deal more likely.

Edit: 2/16, or anything 8/year is probably way too generous for Jones.  That would be if he's a +1-2 WAR Considering he's replacement level (0-1 WAR), he'd be lucky to get 5-6m/year, more likely 3-4m/year

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Yeah, as others have said, not looking forward to the product on the field but hoping to see improvement in the pipeline.  I'd also like to see some fire & competitiveness.  Seems like with the older/vet teams we've had recently they were much more business-like for the most part.  However it could come across as a lack of passion sometimes.  Let the new kids get out there, have fun, make mistakes and start to learn/grow.

16 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Best case scenario for this season, is that any of Cobb, Cashner, or Bundy start pitching really well and we can deal them to a team with a need for starting pitching.   Gyvens and O'Day also might be worth something coming out of the bullpen.

I don't think we have any position players that would garner anything at the deadline..  Trumbo a remote possibility. 

O’Day pitches for Atlanta now 

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Spring Training!  Hope of baseball and warm weather on the horizon!

...and then, it's the Orioles.  Fresh off a 47 win season, by FAR the worst season in franchise history, Buck, Duquette, Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Kevin Gausman and others are gone.  Unfortunately, Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo remain.

But there's hope on the horizon, the Orioles signed Mike Elias from the Houston Astros as GM and he's bringing along his analytics buddy Sig Mejdal.  Brandon Hyde, former bench coach for the Cubs takes over as manager.  It should be a breath of fresh air as these gentlemen are coming from teams that have won a World Series recently.  Once in the dark ages when it comes to advanced metrics and analytics, the Orioles should be moving ahead at light speed with these moves.  

Can't get too excited about the on-field product this year at Camden Yards, the real things will be to watch are the players in the minors, youngsters that get called up and how they develop as well as what Elias decides to do with the #1 draft pick.

Bend over and spread your cheeks O's fans, it's gonna be a long summer but it can't be as bad as last year...

...can it?

Get in here, @Bang @Hersh @DM72 @TheDoyler23 @DCSaints_fan @ixcuincle @RonArtest15  @justice98 @KingGibbs @pjfootballer @GOSKINS_08 @capcrunch98 @abdcskins @SkinFanInMinn misery loves company.

Ahem!

• Haha 1