• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

Just now, Burgold said:

I think the Redskins will make a mistake in cutting Brown. Seems to me the kind of player who is a strength when used correctly. We saw that in year one and saw the opposite in year two. Creative teams and good coaches figure out way to exploit talent. Brown is a talent. That speed and power has value.

I can understand a potential cut from a cap point of view, but Brown's failure to succeed here seems more about the coaches than Brown. Hopefully this year, we have pieces that the coaches know how to use and our players are put in position to succeed more often.

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a strong year next year where he is leading the league in tackles. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I mean look. For years we have had issues at Safety. You're telling me that we could have HaHa and Landon in the back-end of our defense? Both Bama boys? And people will find a way to complain? I know Dix didn't live up to expectations last year, but let's not forget he was PFFs #2 Safety at that point in the season when we traded for him. I think a lot of folks want to blame the defensive collapse on him, when it was a number of other factors.

You know I've been meaning to bring this up and am not sure it has been raised. (Wish I had when I first heard it before we signed Collins). We traded our 4th for Dix at the trade deadline last season and last month there was a report that a team had offered a #1 for Collins at the deadline last season. Anyone else think that that team was the Redskins and Dix was plan B?

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Berry a FA

I understand how irrational this comment is but I don't want anybody whom Andy Reid is done with.

I've had enough of that, ty.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, nonniey said:

You know I've been meaning to bring this and am not sure it has been raised. (Wish I had when I first heard it before we signed Collins). We traded our 4th for Dix at the trade deadline last season and last month there was a report that a team had offered a #1 for Collins at the deadline last season. Anyone else think that that team was the Redskins and Dix was plan B?

I would've fleeced the Skin's for a #1 in a NY minute!  A defensive leader with team intel, being traded in division?  I just don't see it. 

Concerned now that Eric Berry was released by Chiefs they might try to pry Ha Ha away from Skins.

Look, I dont wanna make too big a deal of a 4th WR type, but Mo Harris should be on the team.  Good for him if there is some demand around the league.  Of the guys currently under contract, he's no worse than the 3rd best WR.  Maybe even 2nd.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Concerned now that Eric Berry was released by Chiefs they might try to pry Ha Ha away from Skins.

If they hadn’t just signed the Honey Badger for $14 Millie a year I’d understand your concern 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So we let one of the only guys in our wr corps go that had sticky hands, produced, and knew every position in a group that was injury prone? Oh and he was dirt cheap while we are in cap hell? Makes sense. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Look, I dont wanna make too big a deal of a 4th WR type, but Mo Harris should be on the team.  Good for him if there is some demand around the league.  Of the guys currently under contract, he's no worse than the 3rd best WR.  Maybe even 2nd.

He was always really good in training camp with good hands but they never used him right so yea, good for him.

I smell a Ryan Grant signing...LOL

Edited by HigSkin
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

My guess is the team views Sims as a similar player on a better contract. 

This is the idea of “draft and develop” that everyone here says they want. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I want to like Harris and he has had some spectacular catches, but either the coaches have failed to use him properly (which means they will continue to) or he is after all these opportunities a light bulb that can flash, but not stay lit.

Edited by Burgold

1 minute ago, moondog said:

So we let one of the only guys in our wr corps go that had sticky hands, produced, and knew every position in a group that was injury prone? Oh and he was dirt cheap while we are in cap hell? Makes sense. 

Tendering him would’ve meant 2+M a season.  So the dirt cheap thing is out the window.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

But the develop part needs to be followed by "and keep", otherwise, what's the point?

Robert Davis, Cam Sims, Trey Quinn

Those 3 are going to need to massively step up ... because then it's what ... Paul Richardson and Josh Doctson?

I think we are going to be drafting at least 2 WRs come April. One earlier and one later. We simply need the bodies, and Im not sure we have the cap space to get one in FA.

• Like 1

If they hadn’t just signed the Honey Badger for $14 Millie a year I’d understand your concern 

Exactly,

Berry as a buy low or Tre Boston should most certainly be considered as well. We cant afford to overpay HCD, so Im happy about the deeper pool available.

Sittin and Boston for cheap would be great

Kind of surprised a bit that the extension with Scherrf hasn't be completed.  They know the numbers needed to get the signing done.  They should have had it completed before FA started as price may rise. 

Posted (edited)

Maurice Harris' cult among the fans is like Ryan Grant's cult among the coaches. Both are okay but still manage to be overrated. If we can't find a way to replace a 4th string WR, then we're kind of very screwed.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Agree.  I like Harris.  He is a big wr, he is young, he is cheap, he knows the system.  And the Redskins have nothing else at wr right now.  I guess this is a sign they will be drafting at least 2 with relatively high draft picks, or will address it in FA as well.  But a very puzzling move for a team that has to be methodical when it comes to cap space for 2019.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I want to like Harris and he has had some spectacular catches, but either the coaches have failed to use him properly (which means they will continue to) or he is after all these opportunities a light bulb that can flash, but not stay lit.

That's why I say he's a 4th WR type if you actually have legitimate 1-3s.  But we have a curious lack of guys that actually will catch the balls that are thrown to them.  If Cam Sims or somebody else is that guy, by all means, but it's a hope and a wish at this point.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But the develop part needs to be followed by "and keep", otherwise, what's the point?

I understand.

Hard to replace 28 catches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Kind of surprised a bit that the extension with Scherrf hasn't be completed.  They know the numbers needed to get the signing done.  They should have had it completed before FA started as price may rise. 

I wonder if scherffs camp is thinking "I know you need this extension more than we do, so you are going to have to significantly increase Martin's numbers to get me to sign, and I will even be very generous in the structure to give you low cap hits in first year for two". Scherff has all the leverage in the world.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mentioned in RedskinsTalk, JP said the Collins press conference is tomorrow at 2:00 which means likely no more big signings.  Typically what they do is schedule all big signings on the same day, i.e. Alex Smith and P.Rich last year.

They think they are in to the second (more cap friendly) part of the market now.

Edited by HigSkin

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Mentioned in RedskinsTalk, JP said the Collins press conference is tomorrow at 2:00 which means likely no more big signings.  Typically what they do is schedule all big signings on the same day, i.e. Alex Smith and P.Rich last year.

They think they are in to the second (more cap friendly) part of the market now.

I guess that means Ha Ha is 2nd tier then?

• Like 1