Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can’t imagine Gregg is considering taking a meeting here.  He’s on record numerous times talking about opportunities he’s passed up on because the situation isn’t right.  We have Jay with 2 years left on his deal on what is viewed as a hot seat, looking for his 4th coordinator, not a ton of cap room, and no QB in sight.  Oh and we have Dan and Bruce calling the shots.  That’s the definition of a situation that isn’t right.

It is a clear path to the HC job. He has talent to work with on the D. All he has to do is put up top 10 #'s on D and he's in place if the O continued to flounder. Yes..he has other choices but not in as big of market as DC.

Just my opinion but it looks like THE opportunity for him

12 hours ago, Califan007 said:

What is the 3-ring circus Callahan and Tomsula are supposed to be tired of?

Lafemina being fired? Putting in the claim on Reuben Foster? All the injuries to the OLine? A player on Tomsula's side of the ball criticizing his DC to the press?

What's the straw that broke the camel's back and making them want to "flee"? And yeah, I'm trying to get something more than the generic "all the dysfunction"-type comments.

DpRquSVW4AA2uC8.jpg.1594cf004730d7b0e9794718c3f5275b.jpg

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

And you are certain of this? Way just magically decided to do a better job. Sorry that make no sense at all. 

So getting blocked punts is a big metric for you - here are the teams last without a blocked punt: 

LA Rams - NO - KC - Indy - Dallas - Pitt - NE - Philly   - - It's much more difficult to block punts and it's a low % effort to go all out anymore. Too many penalties if you don't itme it exactly right. Most blocked punts now are due to a mistake by the punting team not anything the opposing team is doing. After looking at punts I did not waste my time on PATS. 

As for averaging out - like above that makes no sense. He came into a disaster. The six seasons before he was here:  

2013 - 28th

2012 - 21st

2011 - 21st

2010 - 25th

2009 - 23rd

2008 - 25th 

He inherited the 2014 team that went 29th. Once he had a year top put in his schemes, his teams were 6th, 13th, 22nd (huge injuries), and 8th.

So yea, he did a very, very good job here, regardless of if people want to recognize it or not. 

Both of my sons are kickers/punters.  My oldest son kicked four years in college my youngest son is nationally ranked top 20 dual threat for his class.  Lets just say i have a lot of glass time and money invested.  They both are fortunate to have work with some of he best in the game.  The biomechanics of Kicking and punting is not taught from high school, college, or the NFL.  (Private coaching)

Yes you have a special teams coach and they may be good at coaching the blocking schemes of football.  Trust me they are not teaching the mechanics of kicking.  i would say it's safe to say Tress Way has always had the talent he and most NFL punters can punt the the ball 65 + yards with a 4.5 hang time but they will out kick the coverage. Keeping stats or punting is tricky because every punt can be different. The coach can tell you he needs hang time on this punt. The next punt he needs a directional punt etc.  I can promise you Ben kotwica has not taught Tress Way, Dustin Hopkins or Nick Sundburg nothing.  Way, Hopkins and Sundburg all work with Coach Gary Zauner out in AZ. Coach Zauner is the Guru of kicking/punting and snapping. Just about every NFL Kicker-punter has worked with him.

5 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I try caring about us hiring coaches and such but really I couldn’t careless with Bruce in charge.  Part of me wants us to go 0-16 out of spite toward the FO.

Agreed.  And then 0-16 again the following year to win the sweepstakes to draft Sunshine himself in the following draft. 

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There you go again, with the passive aggressive slight.  It wouldn’t be a HardcoreZorn post without one, it’s such a redeeming trait of yours.  It ranks right up there with sensationalizing discussion.  I’ve yet to see one person here claim that Callahan or Tomsula wanting out of here is gospel.  It’s just not hard to believe.  There’s like a half a dozen of you left that still find this stuff hard to believe.    

You can't be saying that with a straight face. Just earlier in the day yesterday you made a reference that i may not understand because im young and new to the work place. That's the very definition of passive aggressive. On it's surface it doesn't seem very insulting (passive) but in reality, the clear message there was "you just wouldn't understand" (aggressive).

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What’s amusing with these tweets about Williams being in the running for defensive coordinator is...

we still employ a defensive coordinator.

:ols:

Funny but sad isn't it? Just another example of how the team operates.  Rumors of a new DC when the current DC is apparently still employed. Hearing of the hiring of your special teams coach by another team. No other franchise in the NFL does this.  It's not getting better any time soon folks. 

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

Based on some of your statements here, that sounds like something the Cowboys version of Chris Russell would say. You're suggesting in that comment that the Cowboys had a great deal more dysfunction than the Redskins. To pull a page from your "logic" playbook, what makes you say that?

I didn't say that lol...you incorrectly inferred it from misinterpreting my post, then disingenuously attributed it to me.

The Cowboys' better record during Callahan's time there vs. his time with us? The playoff victory they had vs. our zero playoff wins during that period? Or the dysfunction that's led to the team's current situation of being set at QB for years?

So, using logic -heh lol- you are saying the definition of "dysfunction" is having a losing record and/or not being set at QB. So, by that logic (sorry, can't help myself lol), if Alex Smiff had not been hurt and the Redskins had gone 9-7 or even 8-7-1 (heh again), then you'd start to believe the Skins are not dysfunctional.

Having an elite RB? A great defense? Being in the divisional round of the playoffs this weekend with yet another playoff victory?

Out of curiosity, did any of the stuff you just listed there occur while Callahan was with the Cowboys?...Because, yanno, that's what my post you were responding to was about--his time with the Cowboys, back when they didn't have an elite RB, they didn't have a great defense, they made it to the playoffs once during his time with the team and got bounced in the divisional round...none of that stuff you mentioned happened while Callahan was with the team (well, except for being in the divisional round, of course lol).

Still maintaining a proud/loyal fanbase? Is that the dysfunction you're referring to that's so great that what Callahan's going through now with the Skins would make him yawn?

The "proud, loyal fanbase" during his time there were scheming up ways to buy billboards to get Jerruh to sell the team, ridiculing their owner/GM far more viciously than Skins fans are ridiculing Snyder, constantly criticizing the "ginger clapper" head coach, livid over one of their players causing the death of a teammate due to drunk driving, having their Owner/GM ranked as one of the top 5 most hated people in sports (not in the NFL, but in sports) year after year, ranking way ahead of Dan Snyder, or having photos of their owner/GM posing with coeds and strippers in a hotel room with them pretending to give him oral sex, or having their owner/GM get sued for sexual assault....and on and on and on. That's what Callahan experienced with the Cowboys.

If you're going to tout such lofty ideals about your posts, you should try to adhere to them.

As you can see, I do lol...and I'm just guessing, but I'm assuming you let your emotions dictate your post to me, because if you had breathed, let things pass, and then re-read my post from a point of logic instead of emotion, you would have realized I was making a generic joke about Callahan having the misfortune of going from one dysfunctional organization to another one lol...but, yep, looks like the Cowboys found a way of turning things around without firing everyone or getting rid of their GM or having Jerruh sell the team. Maybe we should operate more like them.

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I must tip my cap to you for digging up that random nugget and running with it.  Out of curiosity, what made you stop 2 games short of the end of the season to make your point?

Dysfunction doesn’t always equate to 1-15, particularly not in this era.  I’m sure you could find examples of a 12+ win roster where dysfunction leads to missing the playoffs.  Look at what’s happening in Pittsburgh, historically known as a very functional franchise.  Dysfunction comes in all shapes and sizes and yields different results.

It was an exercise I randomly did after we were 7-7 out of curiosity. I didn't post it on here bc it wouldn't have been well received, but after reading about how truly awful and dysfunctional we were every day I was curious where the rest of the league stacked up record wise since Gruden was allowed to play his guy at QB. Since we lost the last two and there were a couple of teams within a game or 2, I'd assume that places us smack dab in the middle.

I don't disagree it can take on different forms, but the way this board reads and reacts does not align with reality. Which is we are the definition of a mediocre football team results wise. We make some good moves, we make some poor ones. In the end you get 7-9 to 9-7. The point? Not everything we do is wrong or dysfunctional. But you wouldn't know that by the reactions on here to any piece of news. And then if you try and poke holes or dig deeper or question the validity of things you are called out for being a FO lover or protector or enabler or what have you. To me, that's not any fun. I'm cool with negativity, the team is going on two decades of not doing anything of relevance. I get it. But some people want to follow and read about the team they love and discuss Redskins football without being slammed for not falling in line with the masses and believing every report as gospel. 

8 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

Funny but sad isn't it? Just another example of how the team operates.  Rumors of a new DC when the current DC is apparently still employed. Hearing of the hiring of your special teams coach by another team. No other franchise in the NFL does this.  It's not getting better any time soon folks. 

Its hilarious in a “I’m too manly to cry so at least I can laugh” kind of way.

But, and this is a secret so don’t tell anyone...

Sometimes I cry. :(

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

In the last decade, Bruce's run, the Skins rank 26th in the NFL in wins/losses. Not including this season because I don't have time to do the maths.

So does Shanny not get any blame for 2010-2013? I mean did Bruce/Dan pound the table for Beck and Grossman?

Anyway I'm well aware of our track record over the past 20+ years and it ain't pretty. I won't attempt to spin it otherwise. But 4 years is a pretty long sample size and the most recent one we have to go off of. We've had some pretty good drafts in those 4 years and this roster is not devoid of all talent. My only point was not everything we do is wrong or dysfunctional, so it doesn't make you dumb or blind or whatever if you doubt the validity of certain reports coming out of Ashburn. Especially since nobody knows what the heck is going on around there.

Also just wanted to point out that Kotwica has coached with Dan Quinn before, perhaps there's a personal connection there. Perhaps he fled the 3-ring circus or whatever. I'm not claiming to know one way or another.

10 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

So does Shanny not get any blame for 2010-2013? I mean did Bruce/Dan pound the table for Beck and Grossman?

At the time it was reported that Shanahan apparently requested Bruce Allen be made GM as part of his agreeing to be the next coach. The media kept calling it a "package deal" for landing Shanny. not sure how accurate those reports were, but if they were indeed accurate, then Shanahan deserves a LOT of the blame for the record during his time here.

And if you count this season, the Skins rank 28th in number of wins lol...if you count since Bruce and Jay took over fully (2014), the Skins rank 23rd.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

At the time it was reported that Shanahan apparently requested Bruce Allen be made GM as part of his agreeing to be the next coach. The media kept calling it a "package deal" for landing Shanny. not sure how accurate those reports were, but if they were indeed accurate, then Shanahan deserves a LOT of the blame for the record during his time here. 

And if you count this season, the Skins rank 28th in number of wins lol...if you count since Bruce and Jay took over fully (2014), the Skins rank 23rd.

It was a package deal and Shanahan had ultimate authority on football decision.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4799532

40 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

You can't be saying that with a straight face. Just earlier in the day yesterday you made a reference that i may not understand because im young and new to the work place. That's the very definition of passive aggressive. On it's surface it doesn't seem very insulting (passive) but in reality, the clear message there was "you just wouldn't understand" (aggressive).

I truly meant that with no ill will whatsoever.  Perhaps I'm mistaken, but if I recall correctly, you're 25 years old.  Few 25 year olds have been in the workplace long enough to have experienced true dysfunction much less identify it and see the impacts it has across the board.

31 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I don't disagree it can take on different forms, but the way this board reads and reacts does not align with reality. Which is we are the definition of a mediocre football team results wise. We make some good moves, we make some poor ones. In the end you get 7-9 to 9-7. The point? Not everything we do is wrong or dysfunctional. But you wouldn't know that by the reactions on here to any piece of news. And then if you try and poke holes or dig deeper or question the validity of things you are called out for being a FO lover or protector or enabler or what have you. To me, that's not any fun. I'm cool with negativity, the team is going on two decades of not doing anything of relevance. I get it. But some people want to follow and read about the team they love and discuss Redskins football without being slammed for not falling in line with the masses and believing every report as gospel. 

We are on the heels of yet another mediocre season, with no QB  in sight nor all that much salary cap room to do anything about it.  Both the draft and free agency are a ways off while other teams continue their seasons.  I'm not quite sure what could be more meaningful Redskins football discussion at this time than that of what's going on with the top brass and coaching staff.  There is a reason that rumors or confirmation of any change that we've heard to this point is seen as "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic".  I'm not quite sure where you can go, other than maybe one of those homer facebook groups, to find positive discussion about the current state of the Washington Redskins.  And while even that may be positive, I can assure you it won't be meaningful.  But don't fret, eventually the talk will move to that of free agency and the draft, probably some type of splash in hope to regain some shred of credibility with the fanbase, and the talking points will change.  But until there is actual acknowledgment of the failure and a complete overhaul of the top brass, forgive us for not being swayed by whatever it is the current regime chooses to do.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

What’s amusing with these tweets about Williams being in the running for defensive coordinator is...

we still employ a defensive coordinator.

59 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

Is the team responsible for these rumors ?

Or are they started by fans and/or media on twitter and forums ?

And by the same token, how do we know Manusky hasn't been fired if the team was so tight-lipped about Kotiwica leaving ?

4 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Chris Russell on the junkies right now is that Gregg Williams is very seriously being discussed inside redskins park 

How can anyone know what's discussed inside Redskin Park, when the team does not even announce their ST coach leaving, even after his new team announced it.

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Again, news is conflicting.

If Tomsula's contract is up, why do so many people keep "reporting" that Tomsula wants "out of the 3-ring circus" ?

If his contract was up, he could just walk, and not have to beg to get out.

13 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I've said a million times now, my brain is wired to instantly spot logic flaws and work them out until they make sense. Call it the "itchy brain syndrome" lol...

You should change your name to Spock. 

I figured it all out.  The absence of news and action is because Bruce is working on a 3-way deal with the Bengals and Steelers -- Jay to Cincinnati, Bengals send a pick to the Steelers, and Bruce gets his old Bucc Buddy Mike Tomlin to be our new head coach (which I'm sure he thinks will quash the #FireBruceAllen movement).  They are just waiting on Mike Munchak to agree to take over in Pittsburgh.

News should be breaking shortly.  Or not. 😛

I like Tomsula. I think he was everything that was advertised and got quite a bit out of the D line..

Callahan on the other hand is vastly overrated and a terrible coach that in 4 years cant figure out a running game or a way to keep O line healthy. Cowboys figured this out quickly but our thick FO is too dumb to see the righting on the wall.

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Tomsula's contract is up, why do so many people keep "reporting" that Tomsula wants "out of the 3-ring circus" ?

If his contract was up, he could just walk, and not have to beg to get out.

Who knows but its not hard to come up with a narrative.  The same reporters are saying the Redskins want him to stay and he's close with Manusky.  

Just listened to Russell, he said he hears they are considering Gregg but heard among other candidates.  Where there is some smoke and confusion among the gossip they are hearing -- though that's common, that's why its called gossip and not reporting -- the one common threat seems to be they are looking to replace Manusky.  But will see.

Archived