Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bye Bye Cavanaugh, Hello Zampese.  I remembered that O' Connell was down in Mobile with Allen and Smith.  Think he's the next OC.  Gruden becomes the new Jason Garrett of the Redskins.  Who knows, if Gruden has another .500 season O' Connell might become our new HC.  Just speculation on my part.

On one hand, you'd like to say its good we are bringing in a coach who isnt tied to Tampa.  On the other, its very Bruce Allen to bring in a guy who has now been fired 2 times in the past 2 years, by the Bengals and Browns.

Building an all-star staff I see.

Also, at what point do they realize its beyond weird to keep interviewing people for jobs that dont exist?

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

On one hand, you'd like to say its good we are bringing in a coach who isnt tied to Tampa.  On the other, its very Bruce Allen to bring in a guy who has now been fired 2 times in the past 2 years, by the Bengals and Browns.

Building an all-star staff I see.

One thing’s for sure: they’ll be cheap... 🤣

6 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Soooo lemme get this straight...Cavanuagh out the door replaced by Zampese(?) and O'Connell becomes o coordinator?

Except O'Connell and Cavanaugh haven't been fired yet. So I don't know which QB coach vacancy they are talking about. 

O'Connell's contract may be up maybe. Like Tomsula. Or it may be Torrian Gray part 2...

Russell said yesterday that O'Connell might take over play calling duties so it wouldn't surprise me if he is leaving the team to do that elsewhere.  LOL.

Him being at the combine for us gives me hope as he's heralded as a great young mind for the league.  So if he starts getting praise Bruce will find a way to sack him.  

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The buddy system is literally how every team operates. Relationships matter. There are organizations with multiple family members on staff lol. 

This isn’t a Redskins only way to operate. 

#Rooneyrule 

No doubt the buddy system is in play across the NFL.  Unfortunately for us, our buddies typically have lackluster experience.  And even if they don’t, Ashburn will rub off on them.

5 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

i would expect Cavanaugh gone  / O'Connell promoted to OC / Zampese replaces O'Connell as QB coach. 

That is a nice theory that I could envision with almost every NFL team.

But we are the Redskins... Likely is that we are going to let O'Connell go, keep Cavanaugh and hire Zampese.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'm thinking more about the link to Dalton.

He did a good job with Dalton but then kaboom "On September 15, 2017, Zampese was fired by the Bengals after the team started the season 0-2 and did not score a single touchdown."

Good luck to him knowing our QB situation.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Hoffman talk about this now, he hears Jay still assumes play calling

I'd rather see what O' Connell could do with play calling but that's just me.  O' Connell could be gone next year though.  

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My lord.

Senior Offensive Assistant sounds like Dan doesn’t want to pay the guy for nothing.

According to Hoffman in another segment, he thinks Jay knows its a win or else season so he'd want to go down swinging and that means calling his own plays.  Russell thinks they might give O'Connell some play calling responsibilities eventually.

I am listening to this interview right now.  Not my first listen of an O'Connell interview.  Definitely comes off very knowledgeable -- not a lot of personality though.  Some talk O'Connell up as the next McVay but multiple people who know McVay say the biggest part of his coaching prowess is his personality.  He's charismatic with great people skills.  Don't know if O'Connell has those skills -- judging by his interviews it doesn't seem to be the case as to the charisma part.  But who knows.    

As long as Gruden calls the plays it doesn't really matter. Like it didn't matter for the Browns that they had Kitchens in-house until they booted Hue and gave the guy full reign over the offense. Even if O'Connell is a genius we won't know it. Maybe if Gruden gets canned at the bye. 

Archived