Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

42 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I made a comment about how the skins needed more dysfunction, but honestly, I dont hate the hire.  I'm not too excited about it either.  Let's see if his fiery personality makes an impact.  Just like with the KOC promotion, we've got nothing to lose, so sure let's give it a shot.  I still am betting we clean house with the coaching staff next year.  

As far as rob Ryan being a hell of a defensive coordinator, he did have some good defenses in new Orleans and Dallas. And I laugh remembering when he got fired from Dallas, he said "so what, I'll be unemployed for about five minutes.". And he was right.  But the stats show a guy who had awful defenses his first seven or so years in the league, and then with each of his next two stops, his defenses got worse as his tenure wore on until he was fired.  Nothing to get too excited about.  

I am thinking more about his success as a LB coach. He has helped develop some really good yet athletically limited LB's in his career. He isnt our DC.

39 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am thinking more about his success as a LB coach. He has helped develop some really good yet athletically limited LB's in his career. He isnt our DC.

A lot of the critics are evaluating both him and us, as if we just made him our DC.

Far from it.

He isn't even really a position coach. He's half of a position coach.

41 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Im curious, which athletically limited LBers was it that he helped develop?  Who should he get credit for helping improve their game?

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm guessing it's going to be hard to get a good QB coach, if you don't have a good QB

True, but a job is a job. Plus hopefully working with one of the young qbs coming out of the draft may make the job more appealing.

WHAT AN I SAYING, WORKING FOR SNYDER AND ALLEN WILL SUCK!!!!

PROMISE YOU I AM NOT DELUSIONAL!!!!!

27 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

True, but a job is a job. Plus hopefully working with one of the young qbs coming out of the draft may make the job more appealing.

WHAT AN I SAYING, WORKING FOR SNYDER AND ALLEN WILL SUCK!!!!

PROMISE YOU I AM NOT DELUSIONAL!!!!!

Which one of you is talking ?

You...or Warf ?

I guess you said the first part of the post, and Warf said the 2nd part, since they each reflect different opinions ? ;)

We still have to fill the vacant QB coach slot.  I was looking over the SB rosters and was wondering if the Skins might want to interview Jerry Schuplinski, assistant QBs coach of the Patriots after the SB.  It's been quite on that front.

44 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We still have to fill the vacant QB coach slot.  I was looking over the SB rosters and was wondering if the Skins might want to interview Jerry Schuplinski, assistant QBs coach of the Patriots after the SB.  It's been quite on that front.

Cavanaugh can do it. HE used to be QB coach and he's a senior assistant or something. Sure they can dump QB coach in this...

It's not like Jay was HC, OC and QB coach all at the same time...

can we have Alex Smith do an injury settlement at a team favorable amount and then hire him as the QB coach immediately upon retirement at the highest salary possible so he recoups any lost money from settlement.... eh I am sure Mara would fine use heavily and take draft picks for a move like that.

Why would Smith ever consider this and give up his guaranteed money?  You have to force his hand so what are you going to do?  Go mob style and send some goons over to brake....whoops.  Get better Alex.

Alex didn't get injured intentionally and deserves to get all the money he is due.  Sucks but is what it is.  If only there was a rule where the player gets his money but the team's cap isn't strangled by an injury preventing a player from playing his contract out.

10 hours ago, slinky said:

can we have Alex Smith do an injury settlement at a team favorable amount and then hire him as the QB coach immediately upon retirement at the highest salary possible so he recoups any lost money from settlement.... eh I am sure Mara would fine use heavily and take draft picks for a move like that.

Well, yeah. Because it would be cheating. 

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Well, yeah. Because it would be cheating. 

Yea, per the CBA (based on overthecap.com who is typically spot on), injury settlements are for minor injuries. For major injuries the player gets their entire salary - which also means it counts against the CAP. 

From overthecap.com: 

The CBA protects players who are injured performing football activities. Essentially if you are injured your salary is protected, but it is only protected to a point. Remember there are various extents of injuries that occur in the NFL. An ACL tear is devastating and will cause a player to miss the entire season. That is a major injury and the player will earn his entire Paragraph 5 salary for the year. But many of the injuries that land a player on IR are minor and are classified as such when placement on IR occurs. Those players, as soon as they are healthy enough to play football, are released from the team. Once released they may not re-sign with their former team for the duration of the season.

Injury settlements do not reduce the salary per se. It allows the team and player to part ways due to a minor injury before the player is fully cleared to play to allow that player time to get with another team instead of waiting until they are 100% cleared. 

On 2/1/2019 at 12:02 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm guessing it's going to be hard to get a good QB coach, if you don't have a good QB

We have a very good reputation with taking a job as a position coach.  Sean McVay was part of the Tampa connection when he was brought in as Assistant Tight End coach back in 2012 and ended up getting the OC job here in 2014 which many people believed was due in part because of his Tampa connection. When he took the OC position, we had no QB (or at least none whose future was known). Matt Lafluer just got a HC position, remember he was our QB coach from 2010-2013 (probably got fired due in part to no Tampa connection), he had no QB to work with. Kyle Shanahan was our OC (not a position coach, I know). There is speculation that O'Connell might be next.

47 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

We have a very good reputation with taking a job as a position coach.  Sean McVay was part of the Tampa connection when he was brought in as Assistant Tight End coach back in 2012 and ended up getting the OC job here in 2014 which many people believed was due in part because of his Tampa connection. When he took the OC position, we had no QB (or at least none whose future was known). Matt Lafluer just got a HC position, remember he was our QB coach from 2010-2013 (probably got fired due in part to no Tampa connection), he had no QB to work with. Kyle Shanahan was our OC (not a position coach, I know). There is speculation that O'Connell might be next.

This is going back further and probably no Tampa connection, but related to QB or position coaches of ours that go on to become HC is Mike Martz

Archived