Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

As a Rochester, NY sports fan...

The Rochester Red Wings and the Twins parted ways a few days ago and I was kinda worried that it would mean the end of Red Wing baseball. They’ve been around for a very, very long time. 

Now I see that the Red Wings have partnered with my favorite baseball team. I am over the moon happy about this. Get to see the young guys play, my son and daughter get to see the stars before they’re stars and we get to see the rehab assignments. This is awesome.

EDIT: for those of you that aren’t familiar with the Red Wings... they are a great organization with a strong fan base. Rochester loves baseball.

The game that Strasburg pitched for Syracuse in Rochester was sold out standing room only, as an example. There are a few NATS fans here. I did my part while coaching Little League. My teams are always the NATS. Have converted a few families and friends.

This is really exciting for me.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

As a Rochester, NY sports fan...

The Rochester Red Wings and the Twins parted ways a few days ago and I was kinda worried that it would mean the end of Red Wing baseball. They’ve been around for a very, very long time. 

Now I see that the Red Wings have partnered with my favorite baseball team. I am over the moon happy about this. Get to see the young guys play, my son and daughter get to see the stars before they’re stars and we get to see the rehab assignments. This is awesome.

EDIT: for those of you that aren’t familiar with the Red Wings... they are a great organization with a strong fan base. Rochester loves baseball.

The game that Strasburg pitched for Syracuse in Rochester was sold out standing room only, as an example. There are a few NATS fans here. I did my part while coaching Little League. My teams are always the NATS. Have converted a few families and friends.

This is really exciting for me.

The other good thing about having the AAA team in your city - you get to see Nats rehabbing there during the season. When the Braves* AAA was here in Richmond, I saw a lot of their MLB players (including Deon Sanders) play. It helped that my Father-in-Law worked the box seats behind the Braves dugout so I was only a few rows back from the field every game I went to. 

*I hate the Braves

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Sorry Rendon is not worth the price.   We will find out in 3 years how he isn't

There's no salary cap, this price crap makes no GD sense to me.  We let our two best hitters leave in back to back seasons and the effects we're obvious, saving money will be worth it three years from now?  Where will be in three years, let alone where are we right now talking about trading to replace what never should've left. 

I was willing to stop at we shouldn't of let Rendon go, but ya know what, if we really are going to cheapskate our way post-championship then this may have never been about winning a ring.  We caught fire at the right time on a team that was dead in the water beginning of 2019, am I supposed to be buying this team really wants rings versus just enough relevancy to keep people coming to the games?

We haven't been right and may never be since Trump titty grabbed Suzuki, that was our peak, always had a bad feeling about that one.

Nationals' Kurt Suzuki wears MAGA hat for White House visit with Trump

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We let our two best hitters leave in back to back seasons

No we didn't.

Juan Soto Bull GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

People seem to think the Lerners should just run the team at a gigantic loss because? Giving long term deals to two, age-30 players with long injury histories is suicide. It's how the Phillies ended up not making the playoffs for almost a decade--they sunk a ton of money into aging vets because they won a World Series. They picked Strasburg. We'll see how it goes.

I love how the Nats are consistently in the top-tiered in terms of payroll but people still stomp their feet and say they're "cheap."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

No we didn't.

Harper lead the team in RBI his last year here, so did Rendon.  So you posting a gif of one hitter instead of three is so supposed to make me feel better?

People seem to think the Lerners should just run the team at a gigantic loss because? Giving long term deals to two, age-30 players with long injury histories is suicide. It's how the Phillies ended up not making the playoffs for almost a decade--they sunk a ton of money into aging vets because they won a World Series. They picked Strasburg. We'll see how it goes.

Wait how old was Harper when we let him walk?  And why are we talking about trading for a 3B a year after letting Rendon leave?  Bryant will be 29 in january, Rendon jus turned 30, thats not a huge age gap.

I love how the Nats are consistently in the top-tiered in terms of payroll but people still stomp their feet and say they're "cheap."

Nats are 8th in payroll, Dodgers are #1 and jus won the world series.  Its fair January, vall them out because of not wanting to pay folks we grow in our system, its it bad look, and if fans here are saying we might need outfield help, too, letting them both leave is a brutal one two punch. 

It'd be one thing if we made the playoffs at least, but I don't like this plan if we go from world series to outside looking in again.

Edited by Renegade7

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Harper lead the team in RBI his last year here, so did Rendon.  So you posting a gif of one hitter instead of three is so supposed to make me feel better?

Did you just argue RBI is a predictive stat? What happened when we let Harper walk? I could have sworn we did something significant...hmmm...what was it?

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Nats are 8th in payroll, Dodgers are #1 and jus won the world series.  Its fair January, vall them out because of not wanting to pay folks we grow in our system, its it bad look, and if fans here are saying we might need outfield help, too, letting them both leave is a brutal one two punch. 

And we have nowhere near the revenue of the Dodgers. We let both of them leave, but really miss only 1 of them...its not really a bad look at all. Its smart, long-term planning. Ill miss Rendon, but let it play out. Think the Cardinals really miss Pujols?

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

And we have nowhere near the revenue of the Dodgers. We let both of them leave, but really miss only 1 of them...its not really a bad look at all. Its smart, long-term planning. Ill miss Rendon, but let it play out. Think the Cardinals really miss Pujols?

Rendon's last year is his age 36 season.  No one is arguing that you should hand out crappy contracts like Pujols.  But paying Rendon through his mid 30's is a perfectly fine contract.

Soto will hit free agency at 26.  You feeling good about the chances of the Nats keeping him?  How many times will Rizzo have to pull a rabbit out of the hat because we won't offer market value contract to our own marquee free agents?

I know we all wanted to keep Harper (who I literally named my dog after) and Rendon, but it’s tough to argue that Rizzo hasn’t been ahead of the curve and kept the Nats window open for a ridiculously long time.  Rizzo gets paid to be ****ing heartless and he has 100% earned our respect and the benefit of the doubt. 

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I know we all wanted to keep Harper (who I literally named my dog after) and Rendon, but it’s tough to argue that Rizzo hasn’t been ahead of the curve and kept the Nats window open for a ridiculously long time.  Rizzo gets paid to be ****ing heartless and he has 100% earned our respect and the benefit of the doubt. 

In reality, we know that Rizzo's decisions are made within the context of a budget set by the Lerners.  Fans aren't saying they don't trust Rizzo.  They are saying that given additional 10-20 mil per year in that budget, Rizzo could make hell of a good use of that budget and keep some of our homegrown superstars in the process.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

In reality, we know that Rizzo's decisions are made within the context of a budget set by the Lerners.  Fans aren't saying they don't trust Rizzo.  They are saying that given additional 10-20 mil per year in that budget, Rizzo could make hell of a good use of that budget and keep some of our homegrown superstars in the process.

Yep. Totally true. The Lerners could definitely be #1 in payroll rather than just top 10. We’d all love that. They’d be DC heroes. 

That’s just not how they roll. They run the franchise as a business, not as a vanity project.  They are still decent owners (compare to Snyder, Daniel), but the Lerners aren’t the Steinbrenners and the Nats have some unique financial challenges. 

Edit:  i say this as a person who had a partial season ticket plan and did not renew it specifically because they failed to resign Rendon. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

Yeah, Lerners are still very good owners.  I have my grievances about them, but no ownership is going to be perfect.  But I do believe DC area market has untapped potential still.  We are in that second tier after NY, LA, and Chicago in terms of size, but i believe have no 1 per capita income among baseball markets.  With the WFT floundering, Lerners could cement DC as a baseball town.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If you can't trust Mike Rizzo then I don't know what to tell you maybe you should root for another team

Pulling my fan card is Weak, he's not God, i have mad respect for him, but no one is above criticism. This is a discussion board, missing the playoffs can be discussed, trading for a position we jus let leave should be fair game.

8 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It is tough and results driven league. It was going to be very hard to replace that production with homegrown, now we trying to trade for someone.  Is that an admission we shouldn't of done that?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Did you just argue RBI is a predictive stat? What happened when we let Harper walk? I could have sworn we did something significant...hmmm...what was it?

Significant enough to keep from making the playoffs year after winning world series?  I get theres a lot that went into why we missed, but that and trying to trade to replace homegrown players is a red flag to me. I used RBI as a production stat.

We arent the cardinals either, we don't have that kind of benefit of the doubt. Dodgers are 2nd in revenue, we're 11th, you suggesting keeping them both would've put us at some kind of loss moneywise?  Lerners are 6th most valuable owners, they could've done it.

Edited by Renegade7