Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

As of right now Nats would pick 5th in the draft.  When’s the last time they picked that high?  2011 when they picked Rendon 6th?  I’ll take it!

Davey’s contract is 3 years 7.5 mill.  No other choice but to lock him up long term. Looking forward to offseason & see if we make any significant moves in free agency.

Edited by -JB-

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

The utter meaningless of this season in the context of our franchise is underscored by Davey getting an extension following 2 months of terrible baseball. We really are banking on it being a fluke. We kinda have to. 

Pretty much.  Last year was a magic carpet ride, I'm not buying this is reality, but possible we are somewhere in the middle next season, and back in the playoffs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Pretty much.  Last year was a magic carpet ride, I'm not buying this is reality, but possible we are somewhere in the middle next season, and back in the playoffs.

Going to have to add a couple pieces. Need to add a rotation pitcher, likely a fairly qualified one (next season is Max’s last under contract so we’ll want a guy that can take a middle of the rotation slot going forward). Need a catcher... Realmuto is on the market. May want to upgrade another position (OF, 1B). 

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Going to have to add a couple pieces. Need to add a rotation pitcher, likely a fairly qualified one (next season is Max’s last under contract so we’ll want a guy that can take a middle of the rotation slot going forward). Need a catcher... Realmuto is on the market. May want to upgrade another position (OF, 1B). 

Trevor Bauer is a free agent & with only one year left on Max’s deal I’d say we are a strong dark horse candidate to sign him away from the Reds.  Especially since he has personally stated that he intends on signing shorter 3 year deals to maximize his earnings.  Also, people keep bringing up Realmuto & Rizzo’s love for him but the facts are the Nats will go with starting pitching if they’re spending top dollar.  I fully expect Rizzo to go hard after Bauer.  Whether Bauer would consider us obviously is up in the air.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1

"Trevor Bauer probably just locked up the NL Cy Young Award, denying Jacob deGrom his third in a row. The Nationals scored their third run off deGrom on Andrew Stevenson's inside-the-park home run (his second home run of the game) and deGrom's ERA sits at 2.38 while Bauer is 5-4, but with a 1.73 ERA."

So we eliminated the Mets from the playoffs and possibly damaged deGrom's Cy Young hopes in one game? Some consolation...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^^ Misery loves company baby!!! 

*I don’t expect Adam Eaton back next season for 10.5 mill option after it took him going down for Davey to find his lead off bat.  Dammit, why couldn’t this season be 162 games!  Well, I could def see Eaton back but wouldn’t be surprised if they decline option and look to sign him for less.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Love the emergence of Stevenson. Need to solidify our infield a little bit more to help with consistency and rhythm, and find 1 more decent pitcher so we don't have to rely on Fedde and those guys so much, then I don't see why we can't be a top tier team again next year

They were talking about adding a big right handed hitter for the OF. But if Stevenson can be like this. Get a big hitting right handed IF instead. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Need to solidify our infield a little bit more to help with consistency and rhythm,

Luis Garcia seems ready for the bigs.  But he needs to improve plate discipline... his 29/4 SO/BB ratio is horrendous despite hitting a respectable .270.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Juan Soto has wrapped up a batting title. Nats up 12-3 in the third and he’s out of the game with a .351 average. Freddy Freeman can’t catch him. 

Juan Soto not only hit .351 this season. He finishes with a .490 on-base percentage, .695 slugging percentage and 1.185 OPS. Those are the highest OBP, SLG and OPS for any major leaguer with at least 195 plate appearances since Barry Bonds in 2004.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Ya Soto is MVP

Also crazy Trea is 3rd after Freeman. Definitely one of the biggest bright spots of this season. The emergence of Trea as a great hitter. Not worried about about bats for next season. Let's spend that money on pitching

Yes sir.  Go hard after Trevor Bauer and look to bring in one good power bat to hit behind Soto.

• Like 1

Team is clicking lately. Definitely would make a run this year if it were a full season, but great momentum and confidence booster going into next year

I wonder, if fans are back next year, will they do a proper banner raise in front of fans, even though there would be another champ since. Think it would be deserved

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Team is clicking lately. Definitely would make a run this year if it were a full season, but great momentum and confidence booster going into next year

I wonder, if fans are back next year, will they do a proper banner raise in front of fans, even though there would be another champ since. Think it would be deserved

I do believe they will definitely do a proper banner reveal for fans next year.  At least have a lot of the WS promotions that they missed on this season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Those are the spring training caps. Don’t know what that means other than they’re looking forward to next February. 

nope ... alternate uni's for 2020 ... they just didnt wear them this year because they wore the gold ws champs unis primarily ...

https://news.sportslogos.net/2019/11/15/two-new-caps-and-a-new-jersey-for-nationals-in-2020/

3 minutes ago, 09 said:

nope ... alternate uni's for 2020 ... they just didnt wear them this year because they wore the gold ws champs unis primarily ...

https://news.sportslogos.net/2019/11/15/two-new-caps-and-a-new-jersey-for-nationals-in-2020/

From the very article You linked to:

“As mentioned earlier, we saw that one cap (top right) and the jersey last year during Spring Training games, never during the regular season.”

That was their spring training cap

last year.