Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd strongly consider trading Scherzer at the deadline. I know it sounds blasphemous, but I believe he's only under contract through 2021 and even though he's still got it, he is on the decline as well. We could really replenish our pipeline.

I think he has 10-5 rights. And he's our Hall of Famer. We'll be back next year.

• Like 1

just dont understand how we went from arguably the best starting rotation in baseball (especially in the playoffs), to having starting pitching as our major flaw the next year, and didnt even trade any of those pitchers away. i know the stras injury was a big blow, but where's corbin? what's going on with anibal? The Voth experiment needs to end. he has a 7.99 ERA this year..replacing him with a bullpen pitcher would have better results. i thought with the shortened year they'd not use this 5th and 6th pitchers as much. oh well

Just now, mammajamma said:

just dont understand how we went from arguably the best starting rotation in baseball (especially in the playoffs), to having starting pitching as our major flaw the next year, and didnt even trade any of those pitchers away. i know the stras injury was a big blow, but where's corbin? what's going on with anibal? The Voth experiment needs to end. he has a 7.99 ERA this year..replacing him with a bullpen pitcher would have better results. i thought with the shortened year they'd not use this 5th and 6th pitchers as much. oh well

Corbin, like Stras, might be a creature of habit/routine and the way this season has started has just thrown him out of sorts. And when Stras got hurt, it forced everyone else to move up a role which also hurts them.

This is just one of those crap seasons. It happens even to the best teams. Remember all three of the Giants WS wins were followed by losing seasons. And ours is even worse because of corona. Over 162 games we'd probably bounce back and at the least finish around .500 ish.

• Like 4

Agreed with Riggo that Scherzer won’t be traded (and yes he could veto any trade). As far as players that might be on the table... unfortunately that list is looking a little thin this year as far as those that might have some value. Howie Kendrick and Asdrubal Cabrera are possibilities. Bullpen? I guess we could move Huddy (he’s under contract for next year). Anibal Sanchez is a FA after this year but I don’t think his performance merits any significant return. 

Suzuki and/or Gomes may also have some value to catcher-needy teams. Suzuki is a FA after this year and Gomes is under contract in 2021 for $6m. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Davey finally decides to move Turner down in the lineup but moves Eaton to lead off.  He’s been terrible this year, dude has been striking out left & right!  Once again, Robles has a higher OBP by far.  Don’t understand why Davey insists on keeping him batting 9th!  Garcia would be good option to bat 9th if you want to have another lead off bat in that spot.  

3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

terrible throw home. not even close.

i know we're not supposed to care since we're the champs, but its still extremely frustrating to see our talent fall off (with the exception of a couple guys) this year

It is a weird ****ing season--and 60 games is a joke. Really. I haven't cared much about this season, at all. Get the kids the experience. Get Kieboom back in there--he's better than Holt. Who cares.

Oh and Philly should be excited. They're set up perfectly. The last two years:

Up to 60 games, they're 65-55, combined, an 88-win average. Not bad when you haven't won more than 81 games in almost a decade.

After 60 games, they're 94-108, a 75-win average.

They don't have time to fall apart...like Harper's swing after 25-ish games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

Can someone tell me why, in a clearly lost season, we're playing this Brock guy instead of one of our younger guys we're trying to develop

Because he's...good at...um...nothing? Your guess is as good as mine. In all seriousness,, its probably to avoid wrecking Kieboom's  confidencd, he will be back soon.

• Like 1