Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

58 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I love how the Mets are 8th. Based on what?

Every year the Mets are pumped up in the offseason, only to be miss the playoffs for the 30th time in the last 35 years. In their almost 60 yr history, they've made the playoffs 8 times.

Exactly.  That NY hype is real.  Is this ranking based upon them going hard after Springer, Bauer etc?  The fact they now have the richest owner in baseball?

Edited by -JB-

18 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Exactly.  That NY hype is real.  Is this ranking based upon them going hard after Springer etc?  

The Mets at least have a legitimate lineup. Wanna tell me how the Phillies and Marlins are better than the Nats?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Mets at least have a legitimate lineup. Wanna tell me how the Phillies and Marlins are better than the Nats?

I understand that the Nats finished last in a 60 game season but it did seem like they were hitting their stride just a bit too late to get out of the cellar.  Let them have the preseason rankings.  I think the Nats can be very good again with a healthy Stras.  All of those postseason innings probably affected Corbin/Max.  It happens the year after long postseason runs.  Seen it so many times before.  I think they’ll be ready to roll out of the gate this season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I understand that the Nats finished last in a 60 game season but it did seem like they were hitting their stride just a bit too late to get out of the cellar.

We actually finished better than the Mets, with Strasburg pitching all of 5 IP.

• Like 1

There’s no ideal two hitter on this team.  Not that great OBP.  I’d be tempted to try a lineup like this:

Turner 6

Soto 9

Castro 4

Bell 3

Schwarber 7

Robles 8

Keiboom 5

Gomes 2

Id be surprised if they are in on Reamulto at this point.  

A lot of boom or bust in this lineup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

There’s no ideal two hitter on this team.  Not that great OBP.  I’d be tempted to try a lineup like this:

Turner 6

Soto 9

Castro 4

Bell 3

Schwarber 7

Robles 8

Keiboom 5

Gomes 2

Id be surprised if they are in on Reamulto at this point.  

A lot of boom or bust in this lineup.

Turner is either batting 2nd or 3rd in the lineup.  Castro is not a 3 hole hitter.  That would be a joke.  

7 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Turner is either batting 2nd or 3rd in the lineup.  Castro is not a 3 hole hitter.  That would be a joke.  

Why wouldn’t you put your best OBP guy (outside of Soto) with stolen base capability at leadoff?  Who would you bat at leadoff?  What about the rest?

Here's a good Sports Illustrated piece on  Schwarber, from 3 1/2 years ago. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/05/02/kyle-schwarber-chicago-cubs

What comes across is that he's the ultimate good teammate. "Locker room guys" is sometimes an overrated thing, but Rizzo seems to seek those types out.

Theo Epstein: “He’s in my top two I’ve ever talked to, in terms of personality."

Cubs scout Stan Zielinski: felt Schwarber had a genius for social dynamics—an unusual mixture of deep intensity and guileless good nature that would play well in clubhouses across an endless baseball summer. (And in convincing the Cubs to draft him, he compared the dynamics of his swing to another left handed batter name George Herman Ruth).

Kyle Hart, Red Sox pitcher and Schwarber's college roomate: "He’s not going to go into macro-economics and get an A. But when you get on the baseball field, that kid might as well be Albert Einstein."

And when he gets here I hope someone asks him about his singing pipes. 
Because here he is as a member of the Purple Pizzazz, Middletown High School's Show Choir.

schwarber-purple-pizzazjpg.webp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Why wouldn’t you put your best OBP guy (outside of Soto) with stolen base capability at leadoff?  Who would you bat at leadoff?  What about the rest?

Why would you bat Castro in the 3 spot?  Turner had tremendous OPS & SLG why would you bat him with nobody on?  Juan Soto has the best OBP probably in the league with his walk rate and you wouldn’t for a second bat him leadoff. 

6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Why would you bat Castro in the 3 spot?  Turner had tremendous OPS & SLG why would you bat him with nobody on?  Juan Soto has the best OBP probably in the league with his walk rate and you wouldn’t for a second bat him leadoff. 

Who’s getting on for Turner and Soto?  What’s your lineup?

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Who’s getting on for Turner and Soto?  What’s your lineup?

I’m not 100% opposed to Turner batting leadoff.  He has his whole career.  I just think there’s a huge hole left by Rendon’s departure that we were struggling to fill last season until they moved Turner/Soto down in the lineup.  I actually like Stevenson at leadoff with Turner/Soto 2&3 but if they insist on Stevenson being the 4th OF then I would hope Robles can turn the corner because he’d be my #1 guy to bat leadoff if he can cut down the K’s.  I’m with you though, looking at this lineup right now if it’s not Turner than who??

23 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’m not 100% opposed to Turner batting leadoff.  He has his whole career.  I just think there’s a huge hole left by Rendon’s departure that we were struggling to fill last season until they moved Turner/Soto down in the lineup.  I actually like Stevenson at leadoff with Turner/Soto 2&3 but if they insist on Stevenson being the 4th OF then I would hope Robles can turn the corner because he’d be my #1 guy to bat leadoff if he can cut down the K’s.  I’m with you though, looking at this lineup right now if it’s not Turner than who??

Yeah, I love Robles, but he needs to play his way into the top of  the order.  He doesn’t get on base enough. They need a guy in the two spot who moves the ball and can hit deep into counts.

What I like about Turner in the lead off spot is that he puts a lot of pressure on the pitcher when he gets on base.  Having Eaton struggle last season killed them.  
I don’t mind having my best hitter hit second like Trout.  If they had a better option at two or three, I’d be happy to slide Castro down to 5 or 6.  I just don’t see it yet.

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah, I love Robles, but he needs to play his way into the top of  the order.  He doesn’t get on base enough. They need a guy in the two spot who moves the ball and can hit deep into counts.

What I like about Turner in the lead off spot is that he puts a lot of pressure on the pitcher when he gets on base.  Having Eaton struggle last season killed them.  
I don’t mind having my best hitter hit second like Trout.  If they had a better option at two or three, I’d be happy to slide Castro down to 5 or 6.  I just don’t see it yet.

I just don’t think the Nats started clicking in 2020 until Stevenson batted leadoff and they slid Turner down the lineup.  I know with Schwarber coming in this means Stevenson is the 4th OF & once again leaves us with no true leadoff so I’m guessing Turner is going back to that role but man look at his numbers in 2020. Those are not leadoff guy numbers.  Turner has evolved into a 3 hole guy.  

UNLESS Stevenson eventually overtakes Robles in the starting lineup.  Put up or shut up time for Robles now.

Edited by -JB-

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

With Schwarber and Bell, lots of homers, walks, and Ks. As someone posted above, very boom or bust offense

Turner/Soto/Schwarber/Bell that’s a lot of pop.

I can’t imagine they are in on Realmuto and I never thought Rizzo would consider ponying up that kind of cash for a Catcher.  Not with other pressing needs.  I guess now they can bring back Zimmerman as 1B platoon super cheap & also look to bring in another C on the cheap.  Not to mention another starter as the #4 guy. 

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

With Schwarber and Bell, lots of homers, walks, and Ks. As someone posted above, very boom or bust offense

Ks on offense are so frustrating to me as a fan.  One thing I loved about team the last couple years is that batters made contact.  Put it in play and see if something happens. You gotta love how Juan Soto chokes up and widens his stance with two strikes.  Trea Turner should take a lesson from him.

Other meaty sluggers should do the same thing, instead of swinging out of their cleats with two strikes.

I loved Ian Desmond back in the day, but his whiffs were extremely frustrating. 

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1