Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

59 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Ks on offense are so frustrating to me as a fan.  One thing I loved about team the last couple years is that batters made contact.  Put it in play and see if something happens. You gotta love how Juan Soto chokes up and widens his stance with two strikes.  Trea Turner should take a lesson from him.

Other meaty sluggers should do the same thing, instead of swinging out of their cleats with two strikes.

I loved Ian Desmond back in the day, but his whiffs were extremely frustrating. 

Im the same way, not sure I like this offense. Castro is a really underrated contact hitter, bit doesn't walk at all. The manufacturing runs philosophy is gone. Both Bell and Schwarber have good walk rates so they will hopefully work counts. Long has quite the task ahead of him

4 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Ks on offense are so frustrating to me as a fan.  One thing I loved about team the last couple years is that batters made contact.  Put it in play and see if something happens. You gotta love how Juan Soto chokes up and widens his stance with two strikes.  Trea Turner should take a lesson from him.

Other meaty sluggers should do the same thing, instead of swinging out of their cleats with two strikes.

I loved Ian Desmond back in the day, but his whiffs were extremely frustrating. 

Ian Desmond & Danny Espinosa *SHIVERS*

16 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Soto should not be batting second.  

Dude gets on base at a ridiculous clip.  And batting him that high in the order ensures that he'll get more at bats.  

Assuming he gets on base at the .490 clip that he did last year, you'd prefer to have him getting on base at near 50% of the time to have a low OBP guys like Schwarber and Bell hit behind him.  

In other words, you want Bell and Schwarber up with Soto on, not Soto up after Bell and Schwarber have made an out.  

Turner and Soto have the capability to be the best 1-2 tandem in the league, maybe even in the game.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dude gets on base at a ridiculous clip.  And batting him that high in the order ensures that he'll get more at bats.  

Assuming he gets on base at the .490 clip that he did last year, you'd prefer to have him getting on base at near 50% of the time to have a low OBP guys like Schwarber and Bell hit behind him.  

In other words, you want Bell and Schwarber up with Soto on, not Soto up after Bell and Schwarber have made an out.  

Turner and Soto have the capability to be the best 1-2 tandem in the league, maybe even in the game.  

I want Soto 3rd, not because he can't do the job of 2nd (nay, as you point out, he will excel at it by being patient, getting on base, and driving in Turner when he gets on).  He would also do a hell of a job as lead off if need be.

But it's a waste of his abilities.  He would have a very suspect bottom of the order and Turner to set the table for him.  Turner's power works against this because he will have more homers than the average leadoffs.  You could see another Trout like situation where he has bonkers numbers in the second spot with only 70-80 RBIs.  

Nats don't currently have a good fit for top two of the order.  It's bad enough to put Turner at lead off due to lack of options, now Soto at 2?  That tells me that the logical conclusion is that Nats shopping shouldn't be considered finished yet.

28 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I want Soto 3rd, not because he can't do the job of 2nd (nay, as you point out, he will excel at it by being patient, getting on base, and driving in Turner when he gets on).  He would also do a hell of a job as lead off if need be.

But it's a waste of his abilities.  He would have a very suspect bottom of the order and Turner to set the table for him.  Turner's power works against this because he will have more homers than the average leadoffs.  You could see another Trout like situation where he has bonkers numbers in the second spot with only 70-80 RBIs.  

Nats don't currently have a good fit for top two of the order.  It's bad enough to put Turner at lead off due to lack of options, now Soto at 2?  That tells me that the logical conclusion is that Nats shopping shouldn't be considered finished yet.

I agree that in a perfect situation he should be 3rd.  But as the roster is currently constructed he makes sense at #2 to get on for Bell and Schwarber.   

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree that in a perfect situation he should be 3rd.  But as the roster is currently constructed he makes sense at #2 to get on for Bell and Schwarber.   

Josh Bell isn't the K-King people make him out to be. He did strike out a lot last year, but in 18 and 19, he had a BB rate of 13.2% and 12.1% respectively to go with a 17.8% and 19.2% K-rate respectively. He hit a lot of groundballs last year too--which will lead to GIDPs with Soto on the paths. Good thing he is with the Launch Angle guru, Kevin Long. I look for him to have a very good year.

Schwarber is pretty much Adam Dunn all over again--walks, majestic bombs, and Ks. Lots and lots of Ks.

One thing we can all agree on: Kyle Schwarber was robbed of the 2018 HR Derby. Harper's dad cheated. JUSTICE FOR SCHWARBER!

Edited by Riggo#44

I hate this lineup.  Absolutely hate it.  Victor Robles has been tremendous defensively in CF but if he continues to stink it up at the plate then I think Stevenson deserves his shot to start and if he does get that shot he’s the leadoff bat we’ve been missing.  Plug him in @ leadoff and slide everybody down one spot and PERFECT.

[Bowden] Dave Martinez #Nationals Manager told us as of now his first lineup thought looks like this: Turner, SS | Soto, RF | Bell, 1B | Schwarber, LF | Castro, 2B | Gomes, C Robles | CF Kieboom, 3B | Starting Pitcher, P

Edited by -JB-

Lets pump the breaks on the Taylor Heinicke level overreaction with Stevenson--he has had an other-worldly BABIP the last two years (over less than 100 PAs): 2019 - a whopping .576 BABIP, 2018 it was a less whopping, but still wholly unsustainable .464 BABIP. Robles needs to show up in shape--the videos of him playing in Dominican this winter were not encouraging.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:00 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Lets pump the breaks on the Taylor Heinicke level overreaction with Stevenson--he has had an other-worldly BABIP the last two years (over less than 100 PAs): 2019 - a whopping .576 BABIP, 2018 it was a less whopping, but still wholly unsustainable .464 BABIP. Robles needs to show up in shape--the videos of him playing in Dominican this winter were not encouraging.

I just judge a guy by his production.  I thought he deserved a shot to leadoff and start at the beginning of last season.  Davey took too long to make the move and by the time they caught stride offensively the season was over. Play the man.  Hoping for DH this year in NL.

Dusty did the same crap back in 2017 when he refused to sit Jayson Werth even tho he was abysmal at the plate that season.  Left Howie sitting on the bench come playoff time and quickly took that ass beating.  Howie was raking.  It made no sense to have him sit in favor of Werth who was batting .226!  There’s no reason Stevenson should be riding the pine when he’s clearly the best option to bat leadoff and is clearly a better hitter than Robles.  Defensive ability can only take you so far.

Edited by -JB-

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

I just judge a guy by his production.  I thought he deserved a shot to leadoff and start at the beginning of last season.  Davey took too long to make the move and by the time they caught stride offensively the season was over. Play the man.

Here is the problem with that philosophy: you play him. He gets extremely lucky (a .576 BABIP indicates a lot of luck, and is not going to continue over a long period of time--or even a short period of time. That means almost 60% of the balls he hit turned into base hits.) But then what? What happens when he regresses--which he will? You sit him? Put Robles back in? Robles is a far, far superior fielder (in 2019, he had a 4 bWAR with a 90 OPS+). Robles might just be a late bloomer--but I agree, his bat needs to pick up. Even if Robles has a 115-120 OPS season, he is an MVP candidate. Are you going to sit everyone that struggles? That sort of over-reaction is a great way to lose your clubhouse.

I like Steve-o off the bench--he cannot hit lefties for **** (2 hits in 20 AB, albeit a tiny sample size). He also has a noodle arm. Pinch run/defensive replacement for Schwarber. I just don't think he's an every-day player.

I think Josh Bell is also going to have a big year--especially with Kevin Long. I would definitely bat Bell third. He kills fastballs, with Trea and Soto ahead of him, getting on base, and Schwarber behind. Castro too could be a huge return--he's 2019 second half was incredible, and away from Marlins Park he hit a solid .286/.322/.447 

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Here is the problem with that philosophy: you play him. He gets extremely lucky (a .576 BABIP indicates a lot of luck, and is not going to continue over a long period of time--or even a short period of time. That means almost 60% of the balls he hit turned into base hits.) But then what? What happens when he regresses--which he will? You sit him? Put Robles back in? Robles is a far, far superior fielder (in 2019, he had a 4 bWAR with a 90 OPS+). Robles might just be a late bloomer--but I agree, his bat needs to pick up. Even if Robles has a 115-120 OPS season, he is an MVP candidate. Are you going to sit everyone that struggles? That sort of over-reaction is a great way to lose your clubhouse.

I like Steve-o off the bench--he cannot hit lefties for **** (2 hits in 20 AB, albeit a tiny sample size). He also has a noodle arm. Pinch run/defensive replacement for Schwarber. I just don't think he's an every-day player.

I think Josh Bell is also going to have a big year--especially with Kevin Long. I would definitely bat Bell third. He kills fastballs, with Trea and Soto ahead of him, getting on base, and Schwarber behind. Castro too could be a huge return--he's 2019 second half was incredible, and away from Marlins Park he hit a solid .286/.322/.447 

I don’t think it’s an overreaction if Robles shows for a 3rd consecutive season that he cannot hit MLB pitching.  Stevenson every opportunity he has gotten he has raked.  I think it’s great to have him as our 4th OF but if he’s the better option to bat leadoff then I think he deserves his shake.  I’m hoping Robles improves offensively I just don’t see it.  Davey saying he likes Robles batting 8th so it’s like having another leadoff hitter at the end of the lineup but that’s BS because he just can’t hit.

Edited by -JB-

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

I don’t think it’s an overreaction if Robles shows for a 3rd consecutive season that he cannot hit MLB pitching.  Stevenson every opportunity he has gotten he has raked.  I think it’s great to have him as our 4th OF but if he’s the better option to bat leadoff then I think he deserves his shake.  I’m hoping Robles improves offensively I just don’t see it.

We'll see. However, look at Stevenson has a larger sample size (~150AB) where he didn't hit at all in 17 and 18. So which is the real Steve-o? I think he's the reason they were comfortable letting Eaton go. If he can walk at the 10-12% rate, that would be fantastic and he can play all 3 OF spots pretty well, just can't throw any one out. But yes, Robles is heading into his aged-24 season. He needs to show he's not another Cameron Maybin. If Robles breaks out this year, watch out.

We still need help though--4th/5th starter (although I'd suspect Cavali and Rutledge will take those spots later in the year), backup catcher--preferably that better offensively--and another pen arm or two (although, remember the name Matt Cronin--lefty with upper-90s fastball and hammer curve). I would not mind them seeking a better solution for 3B than Kieboom (or 2B with Castro at third) And is this the year Suero puts the peripherals together? Probably not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We'll see. However, look at Stevenson has a larger sample size (~150AB) where he didn't hit at all in 17 and 18. So which is the real Steve-o? I think he's the reason they were comfortable letting Eaton go. If he can walk at the 10-12% rate, that would be fantastic and he can play all 3 OF spots pretty well, just can't throw any one out. But yes, Robles is heading into his aged-24 season. He needs to show he's not another Cameron Maybin. If Robles breaks out this year, watch out.

We still need help though--4th/5th starter (although I'd suspect Cavali and Rutledge will take those spots later in the year), backup catcher--preferably that better offensively--and another pen arm or two (although, remember the name Matt Cronin--lefty with upper-90s fastball and hammer curve). I would not mind them seeking a better solution for 3B than Kieboom (or 2B with Castro at third) And is this the year Suero puts the peripherals together? Probably not.

Kieboom/Robles at the bottom of the lineup is a problem.  They need to figure something out.

Since Rizzo hasn’t spent any funny money & they already addressed two pressing needs I wouldn’t put it past him to make a sneaky deal with Trevor Bauer and break the bank.  He has shown us time and time again that’s where he puts his big $$$

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

As it stands, my expectations are a .500 season.  

My expectation hope is that I can have a pregame beer on the right field concourse by late summer without worrying about contracting a deadly disease.  If that happens, everything else is gravy. 

But I'm also an optimist, so I think .500 is the bottom of expectations.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

My expectation hope is that I can have a pregame beer on the right field concourse by late summer without worrying about contracting a deadly disease.  If that happens, everything else is gravy. 

But I'm also an optimist, so I think .500 is the bottom of expectations.

Agree so hard with this.  In 2019 I had just gotten my daughter to enjoy baseball going to the park with me.  Not going at all last year was awful. 

• Like 1