Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Dang I wanted Realmoto. I feel like he would have put this lineup over the top and we could legit slug our way to 95 wins and a pennant.

I still want one more big bat.

If they add anyone else, it'll be someone like Tommy LaStella

On 1/26/2021 at 4:50 PM, Riggo#44 said:

That's fine, they've paid a ton of money to be not as good as the last two years. Their pitching still sucks something awful. 

If you're the Nats, them signing Realmuto for 5/115 is watching your opponent make a mistake.  Maybe they're betting on the NL adopting the DH at some point and if that's the case that's probably not a bad signing.  But I wouldn't give a 30 year old catcher (he will play the 2021 season at age 30) 5/115.  Or maybe they believe he can move to first base or something, too.  I'd be shocked if he's still catching at age 35 and doing it well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If you're the Nats, them signing Realmuto for 5/115 is watching your opponent make a mistake.  Maybe they're betting on the NL adopting the DH at some point and if that's the case that's probably not a bad signing.  But I wouldn't give a 30 year old catcher (he will play the 2021 season at age 30) 5/115.  Or maybe they believe he can move to first base or something, too.  I'd be shocked if he's still catching at age 35 and doing it well.

We'll have to see how it plays out. After all Max Scherzer was voted the worst contract in 2015. But this is not a good move for them. They have a decent lineup, but not as good as the Mets, Braves, or Nats. Their pitching is the worst in the division.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So we're really going into this season starting Gomes huh 

Nothing really different other than his catching mate.  He’s good for around 100 games started I think.  Avila I have no clue about but if he has caught a good number of guys in our rotation before that’s livable.

• Like 1

Pitcher comfort with a specific catcher is an underappreciated stat. It goes beyond the signals & ability to frame pitches. Pitchers, by nature, have fragile psyches that good catchers get in tune with & can eek out the inner strengths of the guys toeing the rubber. Not that I would know...

• Like 1

****ing Covid...

Some winter in the near future when this **** is over, there needs to be a 2019 Nats full team reunion. All players in uniform. Stadium full. And they get the full roster announced on the field. Get the reception the deserve. And re-display the World Series banner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soto vs. Mookie?  MLB baseball writers debate:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-or-juan-soto-for-best-right-fielder?partnerId=zh-20210204-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=IgiRk2%2FcBP1LVxPDeK2qiyUlTfJYgrj3GDT9PBN2AwOgVoM%2FgFyA%2BVH15IU9VNBT&bt_ts=1612441915999

gizepi2itpebgtqhsiwq

Late last season, the Nationals started Juan Soto in right field for the first six times in his young Major League career. Then in January, the club signed free-agent left fielder Kyle Schwarber, which seemed to make the transition official. At this point, Soto is projected as Washington’s starting right fielder.

One interesting implication of that: Soto now shares a position with Mookie Betts.

That created a quandary for the panelists participating in MLB Network’s “Top 10 players Right Now” series, which aired its final episode, on right fielders on Wednesday night. “The Shredder” determined, through its cold calculations, that Betts is the No. 1 right fielder for 2021. But some of the panelists, including MLB.com’s Sarah Langs and Mike Petriello, disagreed.

This was a topic that merited further debate, even if there is clearly no wrong answer. So MLB.com convened a roundtable of reporters to discuss who should reign supreme.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-or-juan-soto-for-best-right-fielder?partnerId=zh-20210204-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=IgiRk2%2FcBP1LVxPDeK2qiyUlTfJYgrj3GDT9PBN2AwOgVoM%2FgFyA%2BVH15IU9VNBT&bt_ts=1612441915999

• Like 1