Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

21 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Soto vs. Mookie?  MLB baseball writers debate:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-or-juan-soto-for-best-right-fielder?partnerId=zh-20210204-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=IgiRk2%2FcBP1LVxPDeK2qiyUlTfJYgrj3GDT9PBN2AwOgVoM%2FgFyA%2BVH15IU9VNBT&bt_ts=1612441915999

gizepi2itpebgtqhsiwq

Late last season, the Nationals started Juan Soto in right field for the first six times in his young Major League career. Then in January, the club signed free-agent left fielder Kyle Schwarber, which seemed to make the transition official. At this point, Soto is projected as Washington’s starting right fielder.

One interesting implication of that: Soto now shares a position with Mookie Betts.

That created a quandary for the panelists participating in MLB Network’s “Top 10 players Right Now” series, which aired its final episode, on right fielders on Wednesday night. “The Shredder” determined, through its cold calculations, that Betts is the No. 1 right fielder for 2021. But some of the panelists, including MLB.com’s Sarah Langs and Mike Petriello, disagreed.

This was a topic that merited further debate, even if there is clearly no wrong answer. So MLB.com convened a roundtable of reporters to discuss who should reign supreme.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-or-juan-soto-for-best-right-fielder?partnerId=zh-20210204-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=IgiRk2%2FcBP1LVxPDeK2qiyUlTfJYgrj3GDT9PBN2AwOgVoM%2FgFyA%2BVH15IU9VNBT&bt_ts=1612441915999

Great read.  Thanks.

Adler: Also he does the Soto Shuffle. Bonus points for plate discipline + swag.

Swag at 21 years old in the WS hitting bombs off Verlander & Cole.  Carrying the bat to first base after Bregman got cute.  Just absolutely unreal.  He’s Ted Williams! (With a ring!)

• Like 1

Also LOL Nightengale. He prematurely announced a Bauer to NYM agreement early this afternoon.

Maybe they have a spot in their front office for him.

Wow he tried to break the news yesterday evening! lol

Edited by CRobi21
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CRobi21 said:

Also LOL Nightengale. He prematurely announced a Bauer to NYM agreement early this afternoon.

Maybe they have a spot in their front office for him.

Seriously, how does that clown still have press credentials? He is wrong ALL THE TIME.

Putting that much money into Bauer is really, really risky. Yes, he might have found a winning combination last year--but it was over 11 starts. That same winning combination gave him a 6.39 ERA in Cincinnati to end the 2019...over 11 starts. He's had one good, full year. Otherwise, it's a lot of 4-ish ERAs/FIPs

46 minutes ago, -JB- said:

As fun as it is to laugh at the Mets.... Bauer to Dodgers is just SHEESH 🤧

Doyers have a payroll that is 209% of league average (and $40+ mil higher than the #2 team, the overspending Yankees).

That's healthy for MLB. 🙄

Edit..they are spending more than $74mil than the Nats in 2021. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Putting that much money into Bauer is really, really risky. Yes, he might have found a winning combination last year--but it was over 11 starts. That same winning combination gave him a 6.39 ERA in Cincinnati to end the 2019...over 11 starts. He's had one good, full year. Otherwise, it's a lot of 4-ish ERAs/FIPs

You know how that goes.  Hit the market at the right time.  Only legit Cy Young caliber pitcher on the market and have two big market teams battle it out for your services.  40 mill a year is crazy but Dodgers are looking to build a dynasty of sorts.  They’d be lucky if they ever get the kind of postseason performance from Bauer that Corbin gave us last in 2019 let alone Stras.

• Like 1

Zimmermann signs minor league deal with Brewers. That $110m contract was a disaster for Detroit. 

MILWAUKEE -- Former All-Star Jordan Zimmermann is hoping to revive his career with his home-state team.

Zimmermann, the pride of Auburndale, Wis., who pitched at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, signed a Minor League deal with the Brewers that includes an invitation to big league camp. The team announced the pact on Tuesday while releasing a 57-player Spring Training roster.

“If I didn’t have anything left, I probably would have retired and gone out on my own terms, but my body and my mind tell me, ‘You still have more left,’” Zimmermann said. “Obviously, I want to go out there and stay healthy. I know I can get guys out.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/jordan-zimmermann-signs-minors-deal-with-brewers

Hard to argue with Law's assessment of the Nats farm system. We haven't drafted well lately, we haven't had a top pick hit since Giolito, and he hit in Chicago. Before that it was Rendon. Otherwise we didn't have 1st round picks ('13 and '15), and mediocre (Fedde) to duds (Keiboom and Romero). Hopefully Cavalli and Rutledge change things--along with the Latin kids.

30. Washington

The Nats won the World Series in 2019, and as is often the case with teams that do so, they spent a lot of their prospect capital to get there. They’ve traded prospects, drafted lower in the first round and given up some picks for free agents. Their international scouting department has been very aggressive under the new system, however, and the Nats’ system could look a whole lot better in a year if all of their teenage Latin American prospects get a chance to play and show us if their abilities line up with their tools.

8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

i got a call from my Nats rep and he said full STHs will be the first ones in the park and then they will figure out general attendance if that is the case. 

God, I would kill to be back in those stands. I have a couple of people in mind, just, you know, hypothetically speaking....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I saw that Asdrubal Cabrera signed a 1-year deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks for something like $1.7 million.

Another solid utility guy I was sorry to see go...

I wouldn’t be all that surprised if he returns later this summer.

Harrison will be the super utility guy this season who can play 2b, 3B, and OF.  They have 2 1Bs and their 2B and 3B can back up Turner.  Not sure what they do about the 13th position player.