Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I keep reading online at various different Nats boards about how we need a corner OF bat and Andrew Stevenson is a fine 4th OF but we have to find that perfect corner OF bat.  I think we have too many holes and not enough lead off options to just look right past Stevenson.  In consecutive seasons now (in limited AB’s) he has batted .367/.366 & shown an ability to be a spark plug at the top of the order with tremendous speed & ability to reach base.  Remind you of anyone?  Like Adam Eaton?  You need these kind of guys in your lineup the spark plug scrappy guys who just find ways to get on base.  Everybody wants the shiny new bat to throw into the lineup who can hit for power or bat in the middle of the order.  What about leadoff?  Certainly not Victor Robles.  Who else on our roster is a good fit?  Trea Turner needs to be hitting 3rd in front of Soto.  People act like Stevenson is some obscure walk on player but he was heralded enough to be our second round pick in 2015.  I’m actually fairly confident he fits exactly what we need at the top of the lineup.  We have plenty of other holes to fill.  

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I keep reading online at various different Nats boards about how we need a corner OF bat and Andrew Stevenson is a fine 4th OF but we have to find that perfect corner OF bat.  I think we have too many holes and not enough lead off options to just look right past Stevenson.  In consecutive seasons now (in limited AB’s) he has batted .367/.366 & shown an ability to be a spark plug at the top of the order with tremendous speed & ability to reach base.  Remind you of anyone?  Like Adam Eaton?  You need these kind of guys in your lineup the spark plug scrappy guys who just find ways to get on base.  Everybody wants the shiny new bat to throw into the lineup who can hit for power or bat in the middle of the order.  What about leadoff?  Certainly not Victor Robles.  Who else on our roster is a good fit?  Trea Turner needs to be hitting 3rd in front of Soto.  People act like Stevenson is some obscure walk on player but he was heralded enough to be our second round pick in 2015.  I’m actually fairly confident he fits exactly what we need at the top of the lineup.  We have plenty of other holes to fill.  

Stevenson absolutely reminds me of Eaton, and I think he could be effectively in the 2 hole between Turner and Soto. 

If we’re seriously considering upgrading our offense, I do think we could use an additional outfielder. But I’d strongly consider trading Robles to fill another hole (3B for instance) and starting Stevenson. Robles is still young and is an excellent defender, but he’s a liability at the plate at this point in his career. 

Example lineup: 

Turner - SS

Stevenson - CF

Kris Bryant (trade involving Robles) - 3B

Soto - RF

Bell - 1B

Ozuna- LF

Castro - 2B

Gomes- C 

Haven't done math to figure out how much additional the combo of Bryant and Ozuna would be, but there are lower tier OF and 3B options that may work as well. And man, that’s a sick lineup.  

42 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Stevenson absolutely reminds me of Eaton, and I think he could be effectively in the 2 hole between Turner and Soto. 

If we’re seriously considering upgrading our offense, I do think we could use an additional outfielder. But I’d strongly consider trading Robles to fill another hole (3B for instance) and starting Stevenson. Robles is still young and is an excellent defender, but he’s a liability at the plate at this point in his career. 

Example lineup: 

Turner - SS

Stevenson - CF

Soto - RF

Bell - 1B

Ozuna- LF

Castro - 2B

Gomes- C 

Haven't done math to figure out how much additional the combo of Bryant and Ozuna would be, but there are lower tier OF and 3B options that may work as well. And man, that’s a sick lineup.  

I just really think at this point of his career Turner would be better suited in 2 hole in front of Soto with a guy like Stevenson leading off.  That is tremendous speed at the top of the lineup.  Also, I don’t foresee a deal for Bryant because he only has one year left on his contract.  Maybe a deal for Reds 3B Suarez makes more sense.  Either way I do agree that the Nats need another middle of the order bat.  I just don’t think it has to come from corner OF spot UNLESS like you said maybe Robles is moved or something.  I’d be hesitant to move Robles at this point.  Tremendous potential still.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I just really think at this point of his career Turner would be better suited in 2 hole in front of Soto with a guy like Stevenson leading off.  That is tremendous speed at the top of the lineup.  Also, I don’t foresee a deal for Bryant because he only has one year left on his contract.  Maybe a deal for Reds 3B Suarez makes more sense.  Either way I do agree that the Nats need another middle of the order bat.  I just don’t think it has to come from corner OF spot UNLESS like you said maybe Robles is moved or something.  I’d be hesitant to move Robles at this point.  Tremendous potential still.

Forgot about Suarez. He’s definitely an option but would probably require more compensation. 

My only point with Robles is that the team can only trot out a starting lineup with so many weak offensive starters penciled in from the start. Right now, looking like Robles, Kieboom, and Gomes are all likely starters (that’s assuming they sign another OF/middle of the order bat). But that’s a full 3/8 of the lineup that you know is probably not going to be particularly productive at the plate. Not ideal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Forgot about Suarez. He’s definitely an option but would probably require more compensation. 

My only point with Robles is that the team can only trot out a starting lineup with so many weak offensive starters penciled in from the start. Right now, looking like Robles, Kieboom, and Gomes are all likely starters (that’s assuming they sign another OF/middle of the order bat). But that’s a full 3/8 of the lineup that you know is probably not going to be particularly productive at the plate. Not ideal. 

No doubt.  I just think if you bring in Suarez then Kieboom is gone.  I’m sure Rizzo is looking to bring in another Catcher.  Realmuto?  No clue but he’s not the only productive C you can move on because trade options are always available.  Robles is so good defensively I think if you’re going to work with a guy who is struggling at the plate it’s a Gold Glove caliber defender.  This is why I’m more inclined to think a move for a 3B is more important than a big corner OF bat.  I’m a fan of Stevenson. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

That's a big NO from me. With a 90 OPS+ in 2019, Robles was still a 4 WAR player. At 23, he has 5 more years of team control, is one of the best CF in the game (last year not withstanding), and tons of room to improve. We'd have Bryant for a year, and he hasn't eclipsed 4 WAR in since 2017 (1.9 in 2018, 3.7 in '19). If they Cubs want Robles for Bryant, THEY are the ones that need to add to the pot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's a big NO from me. With a 90 OPS+ in 2019, Robles was still a 4 WAR player. At 23, he has 5 more years of team control, is one of the best CF in the game (last year not withstanding), and tons of room to improve. We'd have Bryant for a year, and he hasn't eclipsed 4 WAR in since 2017 (1.9 in 2018, 3.7 in '19). If they Cubs want Robles for Bryant, THEY are the ones that need to add to the pot.

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting 1 for 1.

• Like 1

• Riggo#44 changed the title to 2021 Washington Nationals Thread: Time for Another One!
On 1/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Guys. I've come to a conclusion. I like winning the World Series better than not winning the World Series.

I think you're right, but I would like for us to win another one just to be completely sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’m sorry but you can’t have one of the very best rotations in all of baseball plus Ted Williams 2.0 & be ranked 22nd.  That is absurd but also nobody picked us in 2019 to do anything either! 

I love how the Mets are 8th. Based on what?

Every year the Mets are pumped up in the offseason, only to be miss the playoffs for the 30th time in the last 35 years. In their almost 60 yr history, they've made the playoffs 8 times.

• Thanks 1