Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Been close to an hour since Nightengale broke that story, sourced to a single person, and nobody has confirmed it. Not Astros beat writers, not any other national baseball reporters. Nothing. Given the silence, and Nightengale’s reputation, I’m going to guess there’s like a 30% chance his report is accurate *at this time*. That may be generous. 

Yay.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/28/ryan-zimmermans-past-present-future-is-with-washington-nationals/?outputType=amp

Ryan Zimmerman’s past, present and future is with the Washington Nationals

Ryan Zimmerman expects to assess his future with the Nationals each winter moving forward. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post) (Jonathan Newton /The Washington Post) Ryan Zimmerman expects to assess his future with the Nationals each winter moving forward. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post) (Jonathan Newton /The Washington Post)
January 28, 2020 at 4:01 PM EST

From this point forward, from now until whenever Ryan Zimmerman retires, he and the Washington Nationals will evaluate their union on a year-to-year basis.

That is what Zimmerman told reporters on a conference call Tuesday. It makes a ton of sense. Zimmerman, 35, has been with the Nationals since their first season in 2005. He has made it clear, over and over, that he has no interest in playing anywhere else. He signed a one-year, $2 million contract that can grow to $5 million with performance bonuses. And once that contract is up and his work is reviewed, he and the Nationals will decide whether they want to do it again.

• Like 3

^^^ That's a cue for this mini-tribute to Gerado Parra.

The Nationals had the 4th worst record in Major League Baseball by the end of May 2019.  Things could have dissolved into backstabbing and disarray. But Gerardo Parra joined the Nats the second week of May.  He got Stephen freaking Strasburg to lighten up and have fun. Considering that Stras, as LaRoche points out, had been stonier than Abe's statue in the Lincoln Memorial in prior years, I imagine if Parra could crack that nut, he had a similar effect on the rest of the team.  By way of saying that bringing in a guy like Parra at that time helped save the season.  I don't know if that was by design, but that was the effect.  It certainly wasn't a single-handed effort.  But keeping guys loose and making it fun when it could have devolved into an ill-tempered slog was a valuable contribution. 

So thank you Gerardo, and good luck in Tokyo

UnluckyDisguisedFulmar-size_restricted.g

• Like 5

Again, he might as well be collecting another paycheck from the Nats for the favors he'll be doing us this spring.

Instead of the WS Champs being the focus with questions of a "let down" or "taking a step back", he's got to keep his players with some still denying things from exploding when they hear the same question for the 1,000th time.

The Nats can go about their business quietly with few eyeballs on them. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I loved Dusty, but some of his post-season decisions were indefensible. 

Kintzler Madson Doolittle in the 7th 8th and 9th was lockdown the final month of that season.

Didn't use that combo once in the post season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Kintzler Madson Doolittle in the 7th 8th and 9th was lockdown the final month of that season.

Didn't use that combo once in the post season.

3 PAs for Kendrick in the DS is worse. I was screaming for Kendrick when Wieners had the bases loaded with 2 outs. Only for Lobaton to come in the next inning anyway.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

3 PAs for Kendrick in the DS is worse. I was screaming for Kendrick when Wieners had the bases loaded with 2 outs. Only for Lobaton to come in the next inning anyway.

Adam Lind was a clutch bat all season too. Think the season ended with him in the on deck circle instead of hitting for Lobaton or whoever. 

Liked Dusty.

Love Davey. Obviously.

5db9775285718e2bfcdcba36

• Like 3

^^^ The thing about that is that the game is at Nats Park.  So if some kind of cheating is going on, it has to be a different system than what they were caught for. Is there any narrative anywhere about that incident?  Because its a weird clip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

How do Corbin or Gomes not notice and say something?

As a former HS catcher, I'd say it's the heat of the battle - pitcher/catcher concentration is critical. They won't be distracted by a small piece of paper/plastic falling to the ground or stuck to a batters hand/glove.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

As a former HS catcher, I'd say it's the heat of the battle - pitcher/catcher concentration is critical. They won't be distracted by a small piece of paper/plastic falling to the ground or stuck to a batters hand/glove.

Plus that clip was in super slo-mo.  In real time that was little more than a couple of seconds,  likely not that noticeable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dan T. said:

^^^ The thing about that is that the game is at Nats Park.  So if some kind of cheating is going on, it has to be a different system than what they were caught for. Is there any narrative anywhere about that incident?  Because its a weird clip.

Yeah that is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in my life. It looks like a clear band-aid but he was clearly using it or doing something with it, intentionally. Do players use a band-aid reversed for the tackiness to get a better grip?