Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

9 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Happy we don’t have to pay him $20m+ when he’s 38. Happy we don’t have to deal with him in the division this year. Quite pleased with this outcome. 

Nats obviously declined Zimmerman’s 18 mill option at 35.  Who the hell wants to be paying this injury prone guy guaranteed 20+ mill in his age 36-37 seasons?  No thanks.  It’s funny because the Twins even have a 5th option year written into the contract.  As if lol

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1

Just now, -JB- said:

Nats obviously declined Zimmerman’s 18 mill option at 35.  Who the hell wants to be paying this injury prone guy guaranteed 20+ mill in his age 37-38 seasons?  No thanks.  It’s funny because the Twins even have a 5th option year written into the contract.  As if lol

Donaldson isn’t actually injury prone (had a single injured season the last 6) but still, he’s definitely at the point in his career you’d expect decline in the next year or two. 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Donaldson isn’t actually injury prone (had a single injured season the last 6) but still, he’s definitely at the point in his career you’d expect decline in the next year or two. 

Yea, I wouldn’t say he has a bad injury history but he didn’t play more than 113 games in his ‘17-‘18 seasons.

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

our infield, minus Trea, will essentially be platoon players

Yeah, but there was no way they were replacing Rendon. He was a goner to the Left Coast after this contract regardless of the result.

I ain't mad - in pitching we trust. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Carter Kieboom has an opportunity.

Time to seize it....

Kieboom has added about 20 pounds to his frame this offseason.  I’m excited to see if he can bounce back from his rocky start at the big league level last season.  It’s amazing what an entire offseason can do for a guy when he’s willing to really put in the work.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

our infield, minus Trea, will essentially be platoon players

Anyone who thinks we're repeating with this offense has blinders on, but we'll definitely be fielding a respectable team for the remainder of Scherzer's contract regardless of what moves we make the rest of the way. The pitching is too good for this team to absolutely suck. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Anyone who thinks we're repeating with this offense has blinders on, but we'll definitely be fielding a respectable team for the remainder of Scherzer's contract regardless of what moves we make the rest of the way. The pitching is too good for this team to absolutely suck. 

Well, it is virtually impossible to win it back to back!  And that’s with Rendon.  Dynasty Yankees team last to do it 20 years ago.  Just have to remain competitive and continue to get into the playoffs and wacky things can happen.  Giants won every other year from 2010-2014.  Carter Kieboom in the next two years could become a budding star for all we know.  Nats are going to be tough to beat even without Rendon.  Castro is an every day 2B so the only platooning in the IF could be 1B & the occasional day off for Castro/Turner/Kieboom if Kieboom comes in and earns a spot.  That’s best case scenario.  I think Rizzo trusts that he can earn a spot at 3B.  If not you can platoon Cabrera/Castro maybe until he’s ready.  I don’t think we should panic.  Especially after starting 19-31 last season.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Well, it is virtually impossible to win it back to back!  And that’s with Rendon.  Dynasty Yankees team last to do it 20 years ago.  Just have to remain competitive and continue to get into the playoffs and wacky things can happen.  Giants won every other year from 2010-2014.  Carter Kieboom in the next two years could become a budding star for all we know.  Nats are going to be tough to beat even without Rendon.  Castro is an every day 2B so the only platooning in the IF could be 1B & the occasional day off for Castro if Kieboom comes in and earns a spot.  That’s best case scenario.  I think Rizzo trusts that he can earn a spot at 3B.  If not you can platoon Cabrera/Castro maybe until he’s ready.  I don’t think we should panic.  Especially after starting 19-31 last season.

The goal SHOULD be to repeat, especially flush with World Series revenue and with our luxury tax penalty now reset. 

Thing is, 2021 is an even bigger year for us than 2020. It's the last year for Max, Eaton, Howie, and Sanchez, plus Soto and Robles hit arbitration afterward. I can imagine us getting very splashy next year, especially if we have clear flaws this season. 

Edited by Bacon

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

The goal SHOULD be to repeat, especially flush with World Series revenue and with our luxury tax penalty now reset. 

Thing is, 2021 is an even bigger year for us than 2020. It's the last year for Max, Eaton, Howie, and Sanchez, plus Soto and Robles hit arbitration. I can imagine us getting very splashy next year, especially if we have clear flaws this season. 

I agree that the goal is always to win the whole thing.  Sometimes you just have to deal with a guy bolting like Rendon.  The Angels are a 72 win team with literally no pitching and he chose to go there because he was always leaving, man.  Orange County, not a bad place to settle down for a guy worth 245 million ha

• Like 1

They have the wealthiest owner in baseball.....

Not that it helps much. 

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/01/15/i-hope-i-dont-die-a-terrified-ryan-zimmerman-suits-up-as-goaltender-at-capitals-practice/

‘I hope I don’t die’: A ‘terrified’ Ryan Zimmerman suits up as goaltender at Capitals practice

:ols:

Things you can do when you aren't under contract.....

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I mean, spending $245m on Strasburg. Spending to improve the bullpen. Being one of the top offseason spenders, again...cheapass mother****ers!

they can't be called cheap, but they could very well prove to be shortsighted.

Edited by StillUnknown