Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Looking at Castro's numbers, I saw this odd anomaly.  Early in his career (2010 was his rookie year) he was on an upward trajectory for steals with the Cubs:

2010 - 10

2011 - 22

2012 - 25

In 2013, at age 23,  he had 9 steals. Then, after that, he dropped off a cliff, and averaged less than 4 steals a season through 2019. This was through two years each with the Cubs, the Yankees, and the Mariins.  

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

I think it probably had something to do with him leading the league in caught stealing in 2012.

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Yeah his overall caught stealing numbers each year look pretty shaky. 

This plus stealing generally falling out of favor (analytically) unless your success rate is sky high. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Don’t expect a big splash at 3B. We’ve moved on from that idea and are currently improving the roster in other areas instead. 

Makings of a very good bullpen. 

Been saying all offseason it's going to be a trade for Jose Ramirez of the Indians at 3rd 

• Like 1

On paper, this pitching staff is stupid good. Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin, Sanchez, a healthy Joe Ross as a #5, Doolittle, Harris, Hudson, Rainey hopefully breaking through, etc. 

Several months ago I proposed this as a possibility if we didn't get Rendon: win a lot of ugly games with elite pitching and hope Soto, Robles and Kieboom take it up a notch when it occasionally falters. That seems to be the route we're taking. 

Edited by Bacon

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

On paper, this pitching staff is stupid good. Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin, Sanchez, a healthy Joe Ross as a #5, Doolittle, Harris, Hudson, Rainey hopefully breaking through, etc. 

Several months ago I proposed this as a possibility if we didn't get Rendon: win a lot of ugly games with elite pitching and hope Soto, Robles and Kieboom take it up a notch when it occasionally falters. That seems to be the route we're taking. 

my biggest concern is that it leaves no room for natural regression from some pitchers who may be due to slide a little.

1 hour ago, BigHuv21 said:

Been saying all offseason it's going to be a trade for Jose Ramirez of the Indians at 3rd 

i'm holding out hope for that as well

Edited by StillUnknown

I don’t think Nats are going to suddenly have a mediocre offense just because Rendon left.  I would expect Robles to step up and possibly hit towards the top of the lineup, maybe even lead off with Turner batting 3rd.  & Thames is an upgrade from Matt Adams as lefty bat @ 1B. Another clear upgrade @ 2B with Castro.  Let’s be honest, Rendon had the luxury of hitting in front of Soto all season and through the playoffs.  

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

my biggest concern is that it leaves no room for natural regression from some pitchers who may be due to slide a little.

Yeah, it's an old group. Let's be kind and call it a "veteran" group. I think it's deep enough to compensate for one arm struggling, maybe an injury along the way (sorry Ross, I don't expect much) but I don't think the lineup is good enough to make up for a mass fall-off. On the other hand, I don't think that's going to happen anyway. These pitchers are craftsmen that have developed their skill set appropriately for their respective ages and look to remain consistent for the time being. 

With our pitching, if we land somewhere in the 10-15 range for runs scored, I think we return to the playoffs and have a shot at going deep. It's going to be a very different team from what we saw last season, but possibly just as effective come October. 

Edited by Bacon

22 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

if it makes sense, I think making the playoffs will be harder than actually winning once we're there

LOL this is something I never would have imagined a Nationals fan writing. One month of baseball completely changed our entire outlook on the playoffs as a fanbase and I love it.

• Like 1